NameSilo

BrandBucket Quantity v Quality

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I see a lot of domainers trying to list as many brandable domains on BrandBucket thinking that their chances of a successful sale will improve if they acquire as many domains as they can.

Well today I was chatting with an expert domainer and he told me that this strategy was amateurish and I should avoid.

He added that if he had a budget of say $5000 to invest in domains he would rather buy 10 good domains ($500 each) rather than spend $10-50 per domain and acquiring between 100 and 500 domains average to poor quality domains.

His reason was that it was much easier to sell good quality domains, even if I decided at a later stage to sell these in other market places. Another benefit was the huge saving in annual rego fees.

Interested in other's thoughts on this approach.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He added that if he had a budget of say $5000 to invest in domains he would rather buy 10 good domains ($500 each) rather than spend $10-50 per domain and acquiring between 100 and 500 domains average to poor quality domains.

His reason was that it was much easier to sell good quality domains, even if I decided at a later stage to sell these in other market places. Another benefit was the huge saving in annual rego fees.

Less domains = Less renewals

More domains = More instant liquidity on the reseller market

Better domains = Better chance of selling at BB enduser price

More expensive domain = Less margin of sale (unless bb suggests a premium price)

I think investors need to start asking themselves, are they willing to renew their bb domains for several years, and/or are there easily identifiable endusers if BB isn't able to sell their domain while exclusively listed at X,XXX. If somebody delists from bb, they still need to make back initial investment of domain + any renewals + listing fee. Resellers aren't exactly endsuers and we've already watched the average reseller price of bb domains take a significant drop over the last year.

•••
I see a lot of domainers trying to list as many brandable domains on BrandBucket thinking that their chances of a successful sale will improve if they acquire as many domains as they can.

Well today I was chatting with an expert domainer and he told me that this strategy was amateurish and I should avoid.

i reckon the expert domainer is right

renewal fees eat in to profits

if a domain portfolio has just 10 good quality .com's in it the domain portfolio would be getting offers on its domains greater than the cost of the portfolio's renewal fees to a point where a single sale of 1 of those good quality .com domains should cover a few years renewal fees and sufficient return on investment to secure the valuable .com sold's replacement

•••
If I looked at the "expert level quality" of the brandable domains, I would NEVER have bought those domains that I sold recently. I think it is necessary to listen to the expert of course, but it is necessary to make a decision with your head.

And I think there is a big difference between keyword domains and branded domains.

•••
If I looked at the "expert level quality" of the brandable domains, I would NEVER have bought those domains that I sold recently. I think it is necessary to listen to the expert of course, but it is necessary to make a decision with your head.

And I think there is a big difference between keyword domains and branded domains.

i prefer keyword domains and or domains that contain a couple of keywords .com domains

•••
This thread about BrandBucket names.

Most of my portfolio is invented names. All of my sold names are invented.

I never understand a keyword brands. I never sold any keyword names.

Last edited:
•••

Tell your "expert" domainer that at $500 each you will only get average to ok domains ... sometimes you might get lucky and have 1-2 good ones out of 10 but no way you'll get 10 good names for 500 each.

Also tell your "expert" domainer that brandable domaining is a different game from classic keyword domaining ... that's why we see "crappy" (or what we may think it's crappy) brandable names selling on a daily basis at BB, BR and other marketplaces.

If for instance you own 500 brandables and sell 2-3 a month at around $2.5k - $3k each (that's the average sell price I think) you should make from $50k upwards each year. I highly doubt you'll be able to make $50k a year selling ten $500 ok - names each year imo ...

•••
I would look at brandables first - however I would sooner shoot myself in a sensitive part of my body before I listed them with Brand Bucket.

Those 500 domains at BB would cost you $5000 in listing fees alone to have them up there... that's IF they accept them.

Take your time, buy smart, and buy as many domains as you can that YOU think you can sell.

Don't rely on marketplaces that position domains that they own before yours.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back