IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just curious your thoughts on BrandBucket having Blog.ly for sale at $20,000 or Fast.ly at $40,000 as compared to other submissions from people and the prices? I don' think the 2 or 3 K prices they put on are out of line but what's with these .ly prices? Tha'ts a good way for BB to upset the people feeding you leads.
Personally, I think they do overprice dot ly domains compared to the comparable dot com. But that being said, those two ARE really good ones. I don't have access to their data (nor spent the time trying to research it by crawling their site for changes), but they may have some particular repeat buyers that spend fortunes on those domains. I believe those are prices that they could sell for, but more the high end and very different from the pricing of their other domains. What I mean is that I wouldn't be surprised to hear a seller sell those for those prices. But a lot of the other domains they sell could sell for more as well, but they price them less to sell easier (or so I assume that is why since it seems the prices have dropped with the influx of domains they are selling). With dot ly, I feel they price them high. Perhaps because they are less saturated... hard to know without knowing their data. I doubt they would price them at that price if it wasn't working out for them - I just wish they didn't keep all the other prices so low. They have an ability to change market prices and I think they are lowering them. Their argument is that we all buy these so cheap so we are getting good margins and should be happy... but when a domainer can make another $1k that argument doesn't help. Also, it limits me being able to buy domains in the aftermarket for more since the margin is low. They seem to assume we all buy them on coupons (most of mine are not!).. But again, that is all my opinion based on what I see and my experience...

•••
Their argument is that we all buy these so cheap so we are getting good margins and should be happy... but when a domainer can make another $1k that argument doesn't help. Also, it limits me being able to buy domains in the aftermarket for more since the margin is low. They seem to assume we all buy them on coupons (most of mine are not!).. But again, that is all my opinion based on what I see and my experience...

Where did you get this information?

•••

I believe it was the interview with Margot on DomainSherpa she said something along those lines... I don't remember her exact words, but I can look it up. Please note that it had my rephrasing of what she said so it might drip a tad with sarcasm, but the general ideas was from them.

•••
He's correct she (the founder) basically said that in a Domain Sherpa interview. To be honest I found it a bit insulting. People look hours and hours for the right names to give BrandBucket. Actually very insulting. Eventually a very strong competitor will emerge to BrandBucket and that cocky attitude will change I'm sure.

•••
I believe it was the interview with Margot on DomainSherpa she said something along those lines... I don't remember her exact words, but I can look it up. Please note that it had my rephrasing of what she said so it might drip a tad with sarcasm, but the general ideas was from them.
It's OK. I understand what you mean. I just could't believe that some serious business would say something like that.

•••
It's OK. I understand what you mean. I just could't believe that some serious business would say something like that.
I couldn't believe it either but she did. That said I'm going to post any and all my future BrandBucket sales here-how long it took from acceptance, price etc and we'll see how they do as compared to other sites.

Last edited:
•••

I found the quote:
Margot Bushnaq said:
Well, with the domain owners it really does take some time sometimes, especially if you have a true belief that it is worth a certain number in your head and we disagree. Our argument really is you probably paid ten dollars for this, maybe a couple hundred if you bought it aftermarket. No other business in the world has the kind of return on investment if you can buy something at ten and sell it for two thousand. Nothing else. So, to us, two thousand dollars in pocket now allows you to do so much more, get other names, and just really move on with it.

I starts at ~49:53 on the video, but they also have the transcript below.
http://www.domainsherpa.com/margot-bushnaq-brandbucket-interview/

And I agree with the above sentiments.. I found it very offensive as well and feel like the BrandBucket doesn't listen to the people supplying their names like they should and cares more about selling bulk than getting them the best deal. That being said, they are offering a service and if we don't like it, we can go elsewhere (as many have and I am with certain of my domains).

Hope this helps!

•••
I was referring to those you posted here as being rejected - I don't know what other domains you might have submitted. I don't know either who that is - should I?
Elliot Silvers blog has a very interesting article today about a new brandables site being opened by a domain veteran. It will be interesting to see if this is BrandBuckets competition.

•••
•••
Thank you! Here are the links for those interested:
http://www.domaininvesting.com/
http://www.companyname.com/

@svede & @London555 -

The "financing and leasing options" is an interesting approach. A perpetual income stream vs one time sale.

I wonder if the "lease agreements" will be assignable, thereby, sellable to a third party.

It will be interesting to follow and see if other "brandable" marketplaces (ex: BrandBucket) expand their service offerings and diversify their revenue streams with this down the road.

-Jim

•••
@svede & @London555 -

The "financing and leasing options" is an interesting approach. A perpetual income stream vs one time sale.

I wonder if the "lease agreements" will be assignable, thereby, sellable to a third party.

It will be interesting to follow and see if other "brandable" marketplaces (ex: BrandBucket) expand their service offerings and diversify their revenue streams with this down the road.

-Jim
Discounted notes is something Im very familiar with-in my opinion the only way BB could offer owner financing/leasing is on names they own. Much too deep a discount because of the quality of the paper you wouldn't be able to borrow against or sell it unless on full recourse. That said-for an individual owner it's a great idea.

•••
@svede & @London555 -

I have offered both for quite awhile. I have done a few deals of each style, but I am also not in the six digit prices where that is a necessity. In my cases it has simply been to conserve capital for an individually financed startup. Had I not offered it they probably still would have done the deal, but it helped them to have a choice and that may result in a repeat customer some day. It has pros and cons, but is always nice to be able to say here are some options. I have on my short list to add the starting templates and terms of each to my site, maybe in the next couple weeks.

•••
@svede & @London555 -

-Jim
If they packaged these and sold them on Wall st they'd make a better "Short" than sub-prime mortgages did. lol

•••
I have offered both for quite awhile. I have done a few deals of each style, but I am also not in the six digit prices where that is a necessity. In my cases it has simply been to conserve capital for an individually financed startup. Had I not offered it they probably still would have done the deal, but it helped them to have a choice and that may result in a repeat customer some day. It has pros and cons, but is always nice to be able to say here are some options. I have on my short list to add the starting templates and terms of each to my site, maybe in the next couple weeks.
That's exactly what I meant when I said for a private owner it's a great idea. Even with a major league name with the right startup you can take equity for the name but if you lease you have to have a "jury proof" agreement. They can turn around and claim trademark ect-if you hold equity they won't because you can demand financials etc any time.

•••
@cocaseco -

Interesting idea to provide the buyer options... a capital expense or an ongoing operating expense... the latter more risky but sets the hook for a potential sale later.

Thanks for the insight.

-Jim

•••
I just want to know where he got that picture of the baby smoking the cigarette. That's the best. lol

•••
I'm 100% positive that I have oversimplified things, but I don't worry about that stuff. Again, the market I'm in is much less expensive. If I lost a domain due to some technicality I would be sad, but not bankrupt. Another plus of this segment is that they are busy growing a business, not looking to keep their legal departments busy. I do it to establish a relationship and as such I have not been burned. I have a simple agreement that a Wall Street lawyer would likely chew up, but it works for me and my clients. If you were doing it for $25,000 domains it would be a whole different thing than for a $5k domain.

@slimjim270 That's exactly right and everybody likes paying later if they can. Generally, worst case is I would just reset the DNS and put it back on the market.

•••
@cocaseco -

Interesting idea to provide the buyer options... a capital expense or an ongoing operating expense... the latter more risky but sets the hook for a potential sale later.

Thanks for the insight.

-Jim
Jim-here's an example. We own the name eEconomist.com . This is going to be an expensive name but if the right guy/gal came out of say London School of Economics etc we'd look at financing the name for them because with this one name he or she can make themselves famous." The Economist "in London owns Economist.com and we own eEconomist.com.

•••
Sold Vitah on BB today. My 9th sale with them and 77 remaining listings. Picked ip the domain with Pheenix and it was listed since 11/09/14

•••
Sold Vitah on BB today. My 9th sale with them and 77 remaining listings. Picked ip the domain with Pheenix and it was listed since 11/09/14
Nice name. Vital, Vitalize, Vitality, Vitamins. Great 5 letter where the first 4 letters are part of a meaningful word.

•••

Congrats!

•••
It's over a month now and still no logo. Anyone experiencing the same?

•••
•••
Doron-that's great! Its nice to see you do well-you're always helping others.

•••
It's over a month now and still no logo. Anyone experiencing the same?
Yes same here at the same time ive had 6 logos published with Namerific in the time BB published 2. BrandBucket is a good company but maybe getting too big. We'll see.

Last edited:
•••
Back