IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not convinced. 4Ls simply don't have the same availability or pricing. You won't see many 2L or 3L startups, but not because they are not desirable.

Few years ago I got 3L.com for my startup for around 4k, but changed its name when I got offer for 25K for it. And it was random mix of letters. So are you saying it was undesirable for me? )

At this stage I have no other cards to play so will have to simply respect your beliefs.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know what you mean by "because of its capacity."

I would say 4L are the best performing (they have the best sell-through rate), but I don't really invest in them because they cost too much and I don't think the return on investment is as good.

Best sell-through rate on which platform? You mean in general?
Please give so more info so I can verify.

Wait am little confused on this one: "Best sell-through rate but return on investment not as good?"
How possible?

Last edited:
•••
Best sell-through rate on which platform? You mean in general?
Please give so more info so I can verify.

Wait am little confused on this one: Best sell-through rate but return investment not as good?

New task assigned to myself:

Rank the sell-through rate of character lengths of BB domains and present the results.
Data to be used: BB sales data from 2016 March - 2017 March.
Delivery Time: Open (unpaid task so no deadline)

@Nat Hunt
Before I start the mining process we have to be on the same page so that I don't end up mining the wrong ground.

Definition of sell through rate used =>https://www.thebalance.com/sell-through-rate-2890389

Sell through = Sales / Stock on Hand (BOM) x 100 (to convert to a percentage) or in our example (20 /100) x 100 = 20 percent

In our case:
Sales = Total sales of specific character length on BB
Stock on Hand = Total number of a specific character length available for sale on BB

Agree? You can sign this off?

Last edited:
•••
Best sell-through rate on which platform?

On BrandBucket. A couple months ago, I think there were roughly 1,000 4L on BrandBucket, and maybe 60+ had sold in the past year? You would know better than I. But maybe that's a 6% sell-through rate? Maybe it's only 5% or 4%. But regardless, it's going to be a rate that's higher than any other character length.

Wait am little confused on this one: "Best sell-through rate but return on investment not as good?"
How possible?

Yes it's totally possible because you might pay $300 or $500 or $1,000+ for a 4L while you might pay only $8 or $20 or $35 for a different character length. Even though the 4L's will sell for more, they won't sell for 100X more.

•••
I agree that this data would be useful.

You'd need to know starting # of 4L, 5L etc. a year ago, ending number now, sales within the year. Please exclude non .com ones, as it seems there is significant % of .ly etc. at BB

•••
On BrandBucket. A couple months ago, I think there were roughly 1,000 4L on BrandBucket, and maybe 60+ had sold in the past year? You would know better than I. But maybe that's a 6% sell-through rate? Maybe it's only 5% or 4%. But regardless, it's going to be a rate that's higher than any other character length.

Yes it's totally possible because you might pay $300 or $500 or $1,000+ for a 4L while you might pay only $8 or $20 or $35 for a different character length. Even though the 4L's will sell for more, they won't sell for 100X more.

Let's assume 100 4Ls at 400$ average acquisition (cost of $40,000+1000 listing=$41,000) and 5% sell through at average $4000 net giving the owner $20K minus $1K renewals minus $2000 to replenish the stock.

Let's assume 1000 other length at $20 (cost of $20,000 + $10,000 listing = $30000) average to buy and 2.5% sell through at average of $1,500 net giving the owner $37,500 minus $10K renewals minus $1000 to replenish.

In first case you invest $40000 and earn $17,000 in the second case you invest $30K and earn $26,500.

This shows that even if the research would show double sell through ratio, there is a reason why sellers prefer not to list 4Ls with BB.

Now the gap can get closer if you factor that in 4L segment you have less competition from the insiders and maybe the adjusted sell through for non-insiders is closer to 2% and your names in average cost you more than $20...

•••
Update: Task completed. Took only about 30 mins using Excel functions. I thought it would have taken me hours!

Ranking by CTR would give a slightly different ranking simply because of inventory size influence.

6L does pretty well everyone knows that and some not all blindly buys it without considering other factors.

User submits loads of 6L and brandbucket accepts them thereby increasing its stock by a large percent compared to others and at same time decreasing it's STR simply because only selected few will ever sale.

In the other hand not everyone can afford to buy 4L at lightning speed so less inventory stock which leads to higher STR.

STR stands for Sell-Through-Rate.

Character length rank should be dependent on sales volume and not STR which varies from marketplace to marketplace. @Nat Hunt @Recons.Com

The highest STR was 100%
=> length 18 ; domain=> successfuldelivery.com but obviously removed it as was only 1 in stock.

But wait, maybe we should buy more 18L since it has the highest STR? ;)

Last edited:
•••
The highest STR was 100%
=> length 18 ; domain=> successfuldelivery.com but obviously removed it as was only 1 in stock.

HEADLINE: 18L's Have 100% Sell-Through Rate at BrandBucket

•••
•••
Update: Task completed. Took only about 30 mins using Excel functions. I thought it would have taken me hours!

Ranking by CTR would give a slightly different ranking simply because of inventory size influence.

6L does pretty well everyone knows that and some not all blindly buys it without considering other factors.

User submits loads of 6L and brandbucket accepts them thereby increasing its stock by a large percent compared to others and at same time decreasing it's STR simply because only selected few will ever sale.

In the other hand not everyone can afford to buy 4L at lightning speed so less inventory stock which leads to higher STR.

STR stands for Sell-Through-Rate.

Character length rank should be dependent on sales volume and not STR which varies from marketplace to marketplace. @Nat Hunt @Recons.Com

The highest STR was 100%

But wait, maybe we should buy more 18L since it has the highest STR? ;)

You are so good with data, and yet sometimes surprise me ) You need at least tens of data points to make a reasonable conclusion ) So any category with less than 20-30 data points should be left out.

•••
You are so good with data, and yet sometimes surprise me ) You need at least tens of data points to make a reasonable conclusion ) So any category with less than 20-30 data points should be left out.

Tens of data point for just analysing domain character length?

May I kindly know the 20-30 data points that should be looked at when analysing character length?

•••
Tens of data point for just analysing domain character length?

May I kindly know the 20-30 data points that should be looked at when analysing character length?

I mean you'd need at least 20-30 domains of the same length to make any meaningful conclusion.

•••
I mean you'd need at least 20-30 domains of the same length to make any meaningful conclusion.

My good friend what makes you think that my analysis/conclusion wasn't based on >=20 domains for each length?

In statistics or data mining there is a term called Outlier which is simply an observation point that is distant from other observations. You can read more about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

In our case the outlier was the 18L with STR of 100% and was excluded due to reasons explained in my initial report.

Last edited:
•••
•••
My good friend what makes you think that my analysis/conclusion wasn't based on >=20 domains for each length?

In statistics or data mining there is a term called Outlier which is simply an observation point that is distant from other observations. You can read more about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

In our case the outlier was the 18L with STR of 100% and was excluded due to reasons explained in my initial

All good now, Yes? Or still not satisfied?

Last edited:
•••

In our case the outlier was the 18L with STR of 100% and was excluded due to reasons explained in my initial report.

I have taken quite a few statistics and decision analysis classes doing MBA at a top 20 US school. I know what outlier is. In this case your 18 letter one is not an outlier. And outlier is when, for example, all 6 letter ones sell for $1500 to $5000 range and one sells for $15,000. You could exclude that one for purposes of your analysis.

•••
I have taken quite a few statistics and decision analysis classes doing MBA at a top 20 US school. I know what outlier is. In this case your 18 letter one is not an outlier. And outlier is when, for example, all 6 letter ones sell for $1500 to $5000 range and one sells for $15,000. You could exclude that one for purposes of your analysis.

My friend we having a serious misunderstanding here. The observation is clearly based on the distribution of the STR. You are referring to a completely different context!

I think is best if we arrange for a formal meeting if you're still interested to discuss this analysis further.

I seriously don't understand what you are disputing... :banghead:

Please does anyone know? @hookbox @Grilled @Nat Hunt anyone pls?

Last edited:
•••
Currently 45,302 domains published.

I seriously don't understand what you are disputing... :banghead:

Please does anyone know? @hookbox @Grilled @Nat Hunt anyone pls?

I think what @Recons.Com is trying to say is that an 18L with a 1/1 sales through rate is not a true outlier due to the sample side skewing the percentage. If you think of it like sports statistics, usually they require a minimum amount of attempts to allow the data into their sample size.

@margotb -- friendly heads up. This logo looks like it was loaded in error.

upload_2017-7-28_18-49-25.png

Last edited:
•••

I think what @Recons.Com is trying to say is that an 18L with a 1/1 sales through rate is not a true outlier due to the sample side skewing the percentage. If you think of it like sports statistics, usually they require a minimum amount of attempts to allow the data into their sample size.

Show attachment 65525
If you're lucky she'll respond in 6 months. LOL

•••

Show attachment 65525

My friend, what percentage was skewed?

All of sudden STR is now dependent on other character lengths (products) ?:wideyed:

100% STR is pretty much abnormal and wouldn't be considered as an effective business insight hence looking at other next top STR in the rank.

You're effectively telling me that skipping the character length with 100% STR magically skews the data??

Last edited:
•••
As it is written a picture is worth a thousand words..

Untitled.png

(Brandbucket will never share this with you)

Let's have a look Char length CTR VS Char length Sales Rank?

Last edited:
•••

I think what @Recons.Com is trying to say is that an 18L with a 1/1 sales through rate is not a true outlier due to the sample side skewing the percentage.

Calculating Sell-Through-Rate requires some special sample size? Please do you have any reference of that as I would love to learn.

Manager: John, please can I get a report of the sales through rate for the chairs for the past month?
John: Sir, I can't calculate the STR the sample size is too small and will skew the result.
Manager: John, you are fired!
John: Sir, please don't fire me just yet, give me another chance.

Last edited:
•••
@Dnbolt

Have you ever tried to calculate what the most sold ending letters are both for 5 and 6 letters?
I have always been curious but my excel & programming skills are close to zero

•••
•••
@Dnbolt

Have you ever tried to calculate what the most sold ending letters are both for 5 and 6 letters?
I have always been curious but my excel & programming skills are close to zero

Yes my friend of course! I have calculated pretty much 10-12 different juicy metrics from 2-3 different source and trying to expand it's base for man should not rely on a single person to gain the truth.

As @boker :

But my friend this is only scratching the surface and it's not real time data. Wouldn't you like to have real time statistics of a marketplace before placing any bid?

It's just like placing a bet on a horse race without even reading the horse race booklet to understand more about the rider, the horse breed, past performance etc

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back