Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sales must be free falling for them to send out a sales pitch like this almost 9 months after 2016 has ended.

•••
So this confirms what we have been guessing for some time now.

The sell-through ratio is way down and was already around 2.5% in 2016 and probably even lower now.

After adjusting for insiders' higher ratio, outside sellers ratio probably was in 1-2% range.

https://www.brandbucket.com/blog/2016-domain-name-sales-roundup

We wanted to share some statistics on how the BrandBucket marketplace performed in 2016. (Yes, we are more than midway through 2017, but things have been quite busy as usual at BrandBucket.) Growth since our launch in 2007 has been steadily climbing, and 2016 was no different. Consumers and businesses all over the world now buy domain names from BrandBucket, and it continues to be a go-to resource for companies looking for a great brandable name. Let’s jump in:

Overall Domain Name Sales
  • 1017 domain names sold
  • $3070 average sale price
  • $2295 median sale price
Our average price continues to go up year-over-year, and even with more high-value sales than ever, the median sale price of $2295 (half of the sales were above this price, half were below) is higher than previous years, and consistently one of the best in the domain aftermarket space.

Sales Price Breakdown
  • 75 sales under $1500
  • 318 sales between $1500 and $2000
  • 404 sales between $2000 and 3000
  • 109 sales between $3000 and $4000
  • 51 sales between $4000 and $5000
  • 43 sales between $5000 and $10000
  • 17 sales over $10000
Of the 1017 domains sold, the bulk are in the $1500-$4000 range, which has proven to be a sweet spot for startups and entrepreneurs.

Buyer Behavior
  • 14.5% of sales were to repeat buyers
  • 2.27% average discount on listed price
BrandBucket continues to have a loyal following of buyers who appreciate the do-it-yourself-branding idea, the selection of names, and the service team behind the scenes. The number of sales that closed with a discount was higher than previous years, mainly due to more transactions in the higher price range, and older inventory that had not had a price adjustment in many years.

Seller Metrics
  • 238 unique sellers with a domain sale
  • 134 sellers with 1 domain sale
  • 37 sellers with 2 domain sales
  • 15 sellers with 3 domain sales
  • 51 sellers with 4+ domain sales
  • $2,063,088 paid out to sellers in 2016
These statistics are astounding, and the ones we are most proud of. Our community of sellers has never been stronger. We are also truly thankful for the BrandBucket team — customer support, sales and escrow, accounting, and Brand Ambassadors — that supports this community and makes it all appear seamless and easy.

Cheers to a great year!

Margot Bushnaq, CEO
Michael Krell, Managing Director

•••
@Embrand - Can you confirm if you sold Timeless with BrandBucket? There was a story about it possible being swooped up by Taylor Swift, and it was last listed at BrandBucket. The report reads it went through GoDaddy Escrow. Curious to know how that worked out if so...

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/looks-like-taylor-swift-scooped-up-the-domain-timeless-com/

@Dnbolt (1) Did you catch the sale of Timeless? (2) And - Can you confirm the recent BrandBucket sales report - ie How many sales did you catalog? (maybe help answer the above questions by providing sales from staff vs domainers etc...

Last edited:
•••
@Embrand - Can you confirm if you sold Timeless with BrandBucket? There was a story about it possible being swooped up by Taylor Swift, and it was last listed at BrandBucket. The report reads it went through GoDaddy Escrow. Curious to know how that worked out if so...

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/looks-like-taylor-swift-scooped-up-the-domain-timeless-com/

@Dnbolt (1) Did you catch the sale of Timeless? (2) And - Can you confirm the recent BrandBucket sales report - ie How many sales did you catalog? (maybe help answer the above questions by providing sales from staff vs domainers etc...

Yes, I sold it on BrandBucket and it was a regular BrandBucket escrow process. GoDaddy was simply buyer's registrar of choice.

As far as I know, they buyer has nothing to do with Taylor Swift. But who knows - they might be able to flip it to her :xf.wink:

•••
I think most people agree that 2015 was a bumper year for domain sales, so these figures aren't at all bad. Their business continues to grow at quite a good clip, and kudos to them on some fine results. The superlative "astounding" might be a wee bit rich.

On the downside however, the inventory almost doubled during 2016, and absolute sales increased only ~25%. So something within their model isn't scaling. That something could be on either the demand or supply side.

It's a shame @Dnbolt gave up publishing data, and it would be very interesting to know whether he can break down those ~1,000 sales to give some insight on who the main sellers were.

•••
I stopped adding names to BB one year ago, but they have continued to provide me with decent sales over the past year for my remaining portfolio. My sell-through has vacillated between 4.5% and 6.5% over the past 12 months, and right now it's at 5.3%. While I've been aggrieved by a number of issues at BB, which is why I stopped adding names (and also sold off 1/3 of my BB portfolio), I remain satisfied with the sales results their platform has engendered for the names I have listed with them.

•••

Date Joined BB 2016-11-25
Date Exit BB: 2017-07-12
Price set: $140,000
https://dnbolt.com/timeless

Hope this helps.

Total sales captured for 2016 ~1,000 :glasses:
Missed ~20 for 2016. :xf.frown:

BB knows this that's why they built new fences but once your in it's hard to get out.

Last edited:
•••
I think most people agree that 2015 was a bumper year for domain sales, so these figures aren't at all bad. Their business continues to grow at quite a good clip, and kudos to them on some fine results. The superlative "astounding" might be a wee bit rich.

On the downside however, the inventory almost doubled during 2016, and absolute sales increased only ~25%. So something within their model isn't scaling. That something could be on either the demand or supply side.

It's a shame @Dnbolt gave up publishing data, and it would be very interesting to know whether he can break down those ~1,000 sales to give some insight on who the main sellers were.

To be honest I am no longer interested in who the Sellers are but the Buyers.
Buyers, Buyers give me more Buyers... Let's discuss Buyers.
Who are the 14.5% repeat Buyers? Get them to buy from you instead next time.
Get into their mindset.

Last edited:
•••
Get into their mindset.

Probably silicon valley menlo park SF VC firms, ad agencies, incubator Y combinator contacts being advertised to constantly. Who else could it be? I see PPC google ads too. They have budget to pay $14 a click in growth mode.

•••
Probably silicon valley menlo park SF VC firms, ad agencies, incubator Y combinator contacts being advertised to constantly. Who else could it be? I see PPC google ads too. They have budget to pay $14 a click in growth mode.

What is the typical buyers behaviour before they finally convert?

•••
I give kudos to BB for releasing this data... We asked and we received.

I think it's obvious to everyone that the inventory has grown and as a result they have seen a decrease in the overall STR, but I think we all have to admit their STR was beyond stellar in previous years. Their STR still seems to be above the average market, and I know personally they have produced above average results for me – and I am no insider.

There is always the quick jump over to “insiders” discussion when we talk STR & BB, but keep in mind the main person being targeting with these statements does own somewhere near 15% of the total inventory. It would go to reason that person would make a lot of sales with that large of an inventory. Then you must add the variable of quality of profiles – and that is where the biggest difference in sale through rate comes in IMO.

Different people’s profiles have completely different STRs based on a number of factors. Quantity no longer is going to guarantee you success in the brandable industry – as it is oversaturated. Now it is diversity and quality will lead towards a better personal STR. I think people need to focus less on how much they dislike a marketplace for one reason or another, and start to focus on what they need to do to be successful in their business.

If you dislike a marketplace beyond repair – don’t use it. Find another or build a new, better solution that addresses the problems you have.

If you have concerns with a marketplace that you use – express them. In the end - it is in a business’ best interest to keep their suppliers happy.

But in the end, we are all in the same ecosystem. I personally recommend we try to learn from each other more than trying to tear each other apart.

People asked them to release the sales data, and they did with a decent amount of data points. I personally am glad to see they did it and see no reason to rip it apart unless you want to get mathematical about it.

Just another dose of my un-requested $0.02, for what it is worth.

Last edited:
•••
FREE LISTINGS PROMOTION

For a limited time, we are waiving the listing fees at BrandBucket. Yep, you read that correctly! All members of the Growth Program can now push names to publication at no additional charge.*

Not part of the Growth Program yet? No problem! Email [email protected] and we will upgrade your account and give you 10 credits just for changing over.

Remember this promotion won't last forever, so head over to BrandBucket and start building up your BB portfolio today.

*The $1 evaluation fee per submitted domain still applies.

Happy Domaining!

Michael Krell
Managing Director @BrandBucket

BrandBucket Inc.
8391 Beverly Blvd. 449
Los Angeles, CA 90048 USA
www.brandbucket.com

•••
upload_2017-8-24_14-6-57.png

I'm probably one of BrandBucket's biggest haters, but I think this offer is GREAT! Too many times people paying listing fee's didn't get their fair value (in placement or listing quality) but now, with this promotion, it doesn't cost (much) to try. [dependent on acceptance rate]

On 6/20 @ 5:00 PM EST there were 46,662 published domains live.

Currently, there are 46,233 published live on BrandBucket. Two months ago, on June 20th, there were 400+ more names published. I can't help but wonder if this promotion (and the sales report) is a response to their stifled growth. With sellers more weary of listing fee's, and buyers pillaging through the inventory, it would appear something is needed to keep up their STR. Despite my constant criticism, I applaud their efforts.

Last edited:
•••
Now with the promotion will be even more inventory that collects dust! But great effort for their own SEO purposes and advertising, not yours.

As growing a marketplace its great for the company to attract end users, but if they don't fix the search results in their marketplace and google and make them work properly, then it still remains tainted.

So whats the point? Free names stuck with exclusive listings that don't sell. I searched for "lab" a few days ago and got the dumb results in the other thread. Top 5 were totally unrelated names from same insider. I can just imagine if I spent a week testing this out.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/brandbucket-favors-insiders.1006626/#post-6311089

•••
What is the typical buyers behaviour before they finally convert?

Shopping around. What else? I am starting a SEO plan and FAQ to help end users find cheaper names. Stay tuned.

•••
Shopping around. What else? I am starting a SEO plan and FAQ to help end users find cheaper names. Stay tuned.
From that I gather you are going to try to "out SEO" BB and siphon away some of their sales - which are actually inventory from many of us here at NPs - for your gains? O_o

Very solid and ethical business plan :xf.wink:, and what a wonderful place to announce it... The BB experience thread. :spam:

Added: Absolutely nothing wrong with someone starting their own marketplace or project... But I'd recommend you build it on it's own merit and not try to build a business based off of parasitic means.

Last edited:
•••
I'm a little late with my second year update at Brandable domaining (my apologies). My first year can be found in my signature below.

As at the 30th June 2016 (end of my first year) I had:
750 names on Brandbucket.
200 names on my own website.

My one year bottom line was:
Revenue from BB @ $20,000
Revenue from end user sales made myself @ $14,000
Revenue from one off sale of BB published names @ $4,000
Revenue from various sales of BB published names @ $2,500
Revenue from one off sale of BB rejected names @ $8,000
Revenue from various sales of BB rejected names @ $500
I finished my first year with $49,000.

As at the 30th June 2017 (end of my second year) I had:
1400 names on Brandbucket.
300 names on my own website.
200 names various/elsewhere.

My second year bottom line was:
Revenue from various sales of BB published names @ $500
Revenue from end user sales made myself @ $23,000
Revenue from one off sale of BB rejected names @ $16,000
I finished my second year with $59,500.

So yeah, as you can see my BB portfolio has almost doubled yet my 'income' from that line has stayed the same. I've actually had fewer sales but the value of those sales were more. I also do 'non-brandable' domaining and I've not included those figures in here, there is a further sum of $4,000 that I couldn't decide whether it was brandable/non-brandable so I left it out. I've also gained confidence to market brandables and find end users in this area myself (as you can see by my sales figures). The biggest game changer for me was the sale of Wemmo on Brandbucket. That was my final mortgage payment! I'm now mortgage free and have been domaining full time for the last 6 months. That's everyone's dream isn't it? :)

Future plans. I've learned a lot in this last year. Mainly to concentrate on my own domaining and not what everyone else is doing. Unfortunately when I started in brandables I didn't have the capital to go for 4 letter or high quality domains so I've had to build my portfolio slowly and patiently @ roughly $20 per domain. I want to continue to build a quality portfolio of names without increasing the amount of brandable domains I own. Effectively (hopefully), I'll obtain better domains and drop/sell off cheap the poor quality stuff I picked up in the beginning. I also intend to make more of social media to market myself (not my domains). I'm a big believer in "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I've made some great contacts/friends over the last year which has been very profitable for me, and I intend to reach out and make more.

For the record, it's now almost the end of August (nearly two months into my third year) and I've had 3 sales totalling almost $5,500.

*Revenue from BB = funds in my hand after commission and fees.

Good luck to all other BBers too!

Last edited:
•••
I'm a little late with my second year update at Brandable domaining (my apologies). My first year can be found in my signature below.

As at the 30th June 2016 (end of my first year) I had:
750 names on Brandbucket.
200 names on my own website.

My one year bottom line was:
Revenue from end user sales made myself @ $14,000
Revenue from one off sale of BB published names @ $4,000
Revenue from various sales of BB published names @ $2,500
Revenue from one off sale of BB rejected names @ $8,000
Revenue from various sales of BB rejected names @ $500
I finished my first year with $49,000.

As at the 30th June 2017 (end of my second year) I had:
1400 names on Brandbucket.
200 names various/elsewhere.

My second year bottom line was:
Revenue from various sales of BB published names @ $500
Revenue from end user sales made myself @ $23,000
Revenue from one off sale of BB rejected names @ $16,000
I finished my second year with $59,500.

So yeah, as you can see my BB portfolio has almost doubled yet my 'income' from that line has stayed the same. I've actually had fewer sales but the value of those sales were more. I also do 'non-brandable' domaining and I've not included those figures in here, there is a further sum of $4,000 that I couldn't decide whether it was brandable/non-brandable so I left it out. I've also gained confidence to market brandables and find end users in this area myself (as you can see by my sales figures). The biggest game changer for me was the sale of Wemmo on Brandbucket. That was my final mortgage payment! I'm now mortgage free and have been domaining full time for the last 6 months. That's everyone's dream isn't it? :)

Future plans. I've learned a lot in this last year. Mainly to concentrate on my own domaining and not what everyone else is doing. Unfortunately when I started in brandables I didn't have the capital to go for 4 letter or high quality domains so I've had to build my portfolio slowly and patiently @ roughly $20 per domain. I want to continue to build a quality portfolio of names without increasing the amount of brandable domains I own. Effectively (hopefully), I'll obtain better domains and drop/sell off cheap the poor quality stuff I picked up in the beginning. I also intend to make more of social media to market myself (not my domains). I'm a big believer in "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I've made some great contacts/friends over the last year which has been very profitable for me, and I intend to reach out and make more.

For the record, it's now almost the end of August (nearly two months into my third year) and I've had 3 sales totalling almost $5,500.

*Revenue from BB = funds in my hand after commission and fees.

Thanks for sharing and well done on your sales!

•••

Thank you for sharing...

I just want you to know I have always respected your transparency, Ms. JimJammy. (dang no spock hand emoji here :bag: )

•••

As of today, I counted 590 domains on your website. -- Not here to grill anyone, just thought the 300 number seemed off.

•••
Get into their mindset.

14.5% probability that a recent buyer would be interested in my domains isn't so strong.

But then BB isn't the only market... Anyone heard of Ad re-targeting? Spamming will not work in 2017!

Last edited:
•••
@JimJammy - awesome results. Thanks for sharing, keep up with the success. There are lot's of drops everyday I see them- so you can pick them up as they fall. Some crap, but some decent ones here and there, it's all matter of opinion and your own niche.

•••
The BB 'Free Listing Giveaway' is a great way to get sellers over to the growth program, i just worry that the number of names on the platform will soon passed 60k, if the sales go up as well then awesome if not there could be a problem.

If every seller goes over to the growth program that means after this promotion ends everyone will be paying $1 to submit a name to BB, guarantees revenue on every submission whether they accept it or not.

I think if all sellers were on the growth plan and BB were making money on every submission they may tighten up their criteria on names (which i think would be good) and slow down the amount of accepted names.

Just my 2cents

•••
Saw this on BB's Twitter feed: http://www.vuxlo.com/ sales price $975.

Looks like sub-$1K names are again being accepted by BB. Might be of interest to some users here.

•••
Currently, there are 46,233 published live on BrandBucket.

It's been one week since bringing back a FREE listing fee promotion, and as of now there are 46, 635 domains published (an increase of 402 domains) Without scraping their twitter feed of new domains added, or consulting @Dnbolt - 402 names is an estimation of domains added (as some domains are readded and this number may not illustrate the number of new domains added)

In light of other events, this promotion is making me think twice about their company. My issue with this company has always stemmed from the value in listing fee's (having been a bb reseller) Sure, bringing back FREE listing fee's is just a promotional push, but to me it shows that they're listening.

The sales inequality issue and improving their search are huge tasks withe many different factors to consider in algorithm upgrades/changes. This is not to say they aren't in line with other comparable marketplaces, but to be the best, they have to set a better example. Regardless, the fact they have now, at least temporarily, added a suspended listing fee option, they are helping their sellers bottom lines. Within their marketplace growth, they have added thousands of domain renewals to their sellers portfolios. And once you invest a listing fee into a domain, it's much harder to drop a coupon hand reg that has aftermarket value being bb accepted it. Adding to the disappointment, it is not uncommon for the reseller market to depreciate the value of a listing fee. As evident by a bb ambassadors recent bulk sale of bb published domains at $6 per domain, the $10 listing fee value didn't hold up. Though these domains were expiring in a few days, the real cost of acquisition would be around $15 each after adding $9 renewal to each. The point being, now that BB isn't double dipping in listing fee's and high commissions, they are extending that savings to their sellers. Now, being that I haven't submitted a domain in a while, and am not part of their growth program, your REAL experience may vary. I don't know how much the average person is paying in rejected submissions. Hopefully it is enough to value the time of the approvers, but not overvalue their time; if that makes sense.

Anyways, I would love to hear peoples experience with BB current FREE listing promo. Anyone care to share?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back