IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds like you had the blueprint way before I did.. (y)
Well you have 5+ years more experience than myself.

Do you factor in the % of inventory for the category? If they have only 2-3% of inventory in 4L, it would be hard for those to outperform 5L and 6L, which probably have 20% each.

•••
Do you factor in the % of inventory for the category? If they have only 2-3% of inventory in 4L, it would be hard for those to outperform 5L and 6L, which probably have 20% each.

Yeah that's the point I was sort of trying to make. To look at performance out of context to amount in inventory doesn't yield useful insights.

I'm about 99.9% certain that 4L's sell the best in this context, unless there is some weird data point for really long names, like 1 out of 3 16L's has sold or something like that (which would not really be useful info, too).

•••

Very good point!! I was about to walk away free but you were like "hey, come back".. :writer:

Possible solution: I can create a frequency table of character lengths of branbucket inventory VS character length of sales list and plot a graph.

Now If we observe there are direct correlation between the two then we can say the available character lengths has direct impact of what get sold and hence ranking 4L as 7/14 will be inaccurate and unfair but if no reasonable strong correlation then my initial claim remains true and case will be closed.

Shall we begin? Which time frame of data set should we look at?
From March 2016 - March 2017? (Job title: Unofficial BB Sales Reporter)

Last edited:
•••
Very good point!! I was about to walk away free but you were like "hey, come back".. :writer:

Possible solution: I can create a frequency table of character lengths of branbucket inventory VS character length of sales list and plot a graph.

Now If we observe there are direct correlation between the two then we can say the available character lengths has direct impact of what get sold and hence ranking 4L as 7/14 will be inaccurate and unfair but if no reasonable strong correlation then my initial claim remains true and case will be closed.

Or even better analyse startup data and look at it's frequency. That will simply kill it all.
If they are not requesting a lot of 4L brands names then it simply does not have a higher rank!

Last edited:
•••

One year would be fine, two years would be even better of course.

If you do have info on number of 4L, 5L, 6L across the timeline or at least ratios. If the ratio didn't change much, no problem. If they went from 8% 4L to 3% 4L, you'd need to account for that too.

Another parameter that is probably beyond your control for this analysis is that the average quality of 5Ls in BB inventory would be better than the average quality of 4Ls, meaning they'd accept probably 50% of submitted 4Ls, while they accept no more than 15% of submitted 5Ls and that owners of really good 4Ls wouldn't be eager to submit them to BB.

And third parameter is pricing. 4Ls in average have 2x-5x higher price than 5Ls and that is different buyer segment, price elasticity etc.

Hence, comparing 5L to 6L to 7L to 8L is more meaningful than comparing to 4L and 3L that are in the class of their own and have established floor prices and can/do work as acronyms also.

•••
Yeah that's the point I was sort of trying to make. To look at performance out of context to amount in inventory doesn't yield useful insights.

I'm about 99.9% certain that 4L's sell the best in this context, unless there is some weird data point for really long names, like 1 out of 3 16L's has sold or something like that (which would not really be useful info, too).

Even if they don't, the fact that they cost 2x-5x more wouldn't allow to conclude that buyers prefer 5Ls over 4Ls.

•••
Or even better analyse startup data and look at it's frequency. That will simply kill it all.
If they are not requesting a lot of 4L brands names then it simply does not have a higher rank!

Not necessarily. Startups might not have budget for 4L from get go or they might not have understanding of getting brand right from the beginning.

For your analysis, you'd probably assume Uber did not like 4L because in the beginning they did not have uber.com and neither did Ring have ring.com

If you want to do it properly, you'd have to really analyse each name in the startups names and not just URLs to see if they use 4L acronym or 3L acronym+word or 4L word + another word or 4L in another extension (.co, .me, .io etc)

•••
They are simply not enough good brandable 4L to sell and buy hence it's average ranking. If I am buying a 4L domain it must be very good and very brandable.

It being a 4L means absolute nothing to me but some domain chip that people trade simply because of it's scarcity. A lot of other variables has to compensate for it's average rank.
There are more great brands names in higher 5L- XL that will sale on regular basis.

Last edited:
•••
No need for any crazy graph plottings. Simply adjust the formulae. :pompous:

=> Rank(Char_Lenght_Sold/Char_Lenght_inventory)
e.g
4L => 100/1000
5L => 600/ 800
etc...
Then Rank, them all! Pretty sexy, huh?:penguin: (Yes I am aware of spies they are welcome to steal the formulae if they like it, no issue.)

This takes cares of all unfairness as you pointed out.

How? Well If 1 (4L) domain sold out of 2 (4L) then its percent is 50%. Now if am to rank it all values, (4L) will be rank 1 no doubt but in reality it will not have such percent.:xf.wink:

So at @Recons.Com , @Nat Hunt what's your thought?
Still not satisfied?

Last edited:
•••
Even if they don't, the fact that they cost 2x-5x more wouldn't allow to conclude that buyers prefer 5Ls over 4Ls.

while on the topic of 4L to 5L costs. I've been wondering with renewals, what's a fair markup for profit and opportunity cost with money invested into one domain vs thousands.

Here's what I'm saying. A hand reg is purchased for $8. Say it sells on bb for $2k. That's 250X.

Can you apply a 250X multiple on a $1,000 domain or is the high multitude meant to cover the cost of other hand regs given you're not likely to sell 100% of your hand regs as you could with a liquid $1,000 domain. How to align multitude of investment price paid with overal profit for best outcome?

Screenshot_20170724-174914.jpg

Screenshot_20170724-175626.jpg

Last edited:
•••
And third parameter is pricing. 4Ls in average have 2x-5x higher price than 5Ls and that is different buyer segment, price elasticity etc.

Apple devices are more expensive than standard. Average people still buy apple regardless of price? Yes! Why the buy? Because the product is sexy.

Anything good will be purchased even if cost an arm and foot.

Last edited:
•••
while on the topic of 4L to 5L costs. I've been wondering with renewals, what's a fair markup for profit and opportunity cost with money invested into one domain vs thousands.

Here's what I'm saying. A hand reg is purchased for $8. Say it sells on bb for $2k. That's 250X.

Can you apply a 250X multiple on a $1,000 domain or is the high multitude meant to cover the cost of other hand regs given you're not likely to sell 100% of your hand regs as you could with a liquid $1,000 domain. How to align multitude of investment price paid with overal profit for best outcome?

Show attachment 65136

Show attachment 65137

No, it is not 250x for liquid or very high quality names.

Here is why. With generic stuff, 50%-90% of it is trash, the problem is you don't know which ones. So you hold all of them and the sold ones have to pay the price for unsold.

High quality ones you know by definition that they are good and they will sell, so it is pretty much about holding time for them (0 to 10,15,20 years).

You can buy really high quality name for $10K and sell in 5 years for $20K for nice return or sell for $10K to $12K for quicker cash in couple of years and your renewals would be in $xx to $xxx per name total.

If you bought portfolio of average brandables for $10K, your renewals only will be in mid-high $xxxx every year.

So for a liquid domain with established floor, you might be happy with 2x to 10x sale to cost depending on quality, expected time to hold etc.

•••
Apple devices are more expensive than standard. Average people still buy apple regardless of price? Yes! Why the buy? Because the product is sexy.

Anything good will be purchased even if cost an arm and foot.

Price elasticity works for everything from domains to iphones.

Apple might sell 3 times more iphones if it cuts prices by half, for example. It will earn similar money and dilute the prestige factor.

4L priced at high $xxx has bigger chance to sell than the same name priced at high $xxxx. At the same time, for some of them, there might be a buyer for whom the elasticity is very low, meaning he'd buy for high $xxxx as well and since each domain is unique and for some substitutes are clearly worse, yes, you can hedge your bets on that one buyer, but generally you want to appeal to more than one to increase your chances of sale.

•••
Price elasticity works for everything from domains to iphones.

Apple might sell 3 times more iphones if it cuts prices by half, for example. It will earn similar money and dilute the prestige factor.

4L priced at high $xxx has bigger chance to sell than the same name priced at high $xxxx. At the same time, for some of them, there might be a buyer for whom the elasticity is very low, meaning he'd buy for high $xxxx as well and since each domain is unique and for some substitutes are clearly worse, yes, you can hedge your bets on that one buyer, but generally you want to appeal to more than one to increase your chances of sale.

My friend not any 4L. It has to be good just as how iphone is good. Many business can't be coined into a 4L domain and be brandable at the same time.

Last edited:
•••
My friend not any 4L. It has to be good just as how iphone is good. Many business can't be coined into a 4L domain and be brandable at the same time.

Acronyms are brandable. See HP, IBM, PG, EY, PWC, ESPN...

•••
Acronyms are brandable. See HP, IBM, PG, EY, PWC, ESPN...

4L only. Don't be cheeky... :)

How many 4L brands out of all? Let's crunch numbers and make data speak speak on our behalf?

Last edited:
•••
4L only. Don't be cheeky... :)

How many 4L brands out of all? Let's crunch numbers and make data speak speak on our behalf?

Just quick look at famous fashion brands:

DKNY

BCBG

FCUK

LHDC

LVMH

TNGT

XTEP

HSSC

LBDB

Others:

HSBC bank
USPS
HDFC Bank
IMDB
KDDI
BASF
BBVA
BEML
BENQ
BHEL
BSNL
CDAC
CPFL
HBOS
KPMG

and many more

And that is with omitting nicely sounding acronyms like IKEA - (Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd), NASA, FIAT etc.

•••

Here's a random sample of 200 4L combinations. I think it's a big enough sample to gauge what % of the 456,976 possible 4L combos would make a "brand" (whatever that means :) ).

Code:
BHET
LHYM
GXBZ
WHJK
XLGA
GUIG
FSWA
QOUJ
EFVO
BFGX
FLJC
IKFI
SYMB
EQDO
GGLP
WPFU
VIWB
FIEI
VMIK
VHKT
GGOF
EANB
FQLA
FSUC
QHZB
SQBO
DFFA
QTMG
RKKG
LGVZ
RPPK
PGUP
JGXD
HAUQ
AHXZ
HWTV
RAKZ
JQLV
APIW
LHQN
WDBP
JYRX
JJSJ
SWLQ
XOWX
QDRG
QQQY
CMMG
ISQQ
HEFX
IPVV
WEGY
AYUT
KHIN
RVZX
NODO
YSMS
KKFH
MXTK
JLTC
UJZQ
VTMJ
JMYK
ZJIF
HQFL
JDUK
KCRD
FTOY
TIGD
PGAD
GUSU
WHQG
WTPV
PQAC
UEHM
QJEB
RUBI
KXFU
RDOX
MBFA
TMOO
PPCE
XRFQ
YRPP
CUYC
CODC
VVIP
JGFN
CWLL
YIHV
SLRG
WCUF
TXBB
IHIQ
LJOK
KWSC
YZDO
DYAO
TIXH
CHGS
EECU
LUVL
FVPI
CISE
EQKD
ZYPY
YPGF
AMKE
PTZF
NMUE
MUBT
BSYZ
HYCQ
GVQB
CXXV
YZIR
SFIQ
DYDC
VFSM
NMTB
TPZF
UZUJ
TFBR
EGZU
WMZY
XTBR
ITFH
XVZG
YBWG
XUVL
FHRR
CTLX
DKDA
OGBG
JQIT
QCWL
FWUP
VBRG
DXJK
YVKF
DZHQ
EQRT
ZAHE
TTFK
CBRL
FAXC
QHVD
PUPB
ULHJ
ZIXH
SLJT
HZMU
MRPT
ZECZ
SYPJ
FPZV
LKVI
LZOU
ICHB
FSED
VCPB
HCAS
FBYQ
ESRL
VAGT
ETMV
BGIA
FGVY
JFTS
LUJT
LFFK
OPVM
LXDB
ZDOU
GGQB
QIFC
UYIY
QQQK
WLEE
QZOH
IOTM
EKEO
SIGY
JZIR
OXRB
ARMD
DLFZ
ASWG
CXCG
SLRY
GSRQ
KTGQ
MAQF
RIWO
FBDN
LYWQ
EPRC
BZBF
TBCP
YKSV

•••
I just went through those 200 in 5 minutes and picked out 18 strong or at least pronounceable ones. So maybe 9% of 4L's have decent pronouncability.

QOUJ
SYMB
HAUQ
RAKZ
WEGY
NODO
GUSU
RUBI
EECU
CISE
ZYPY
UZUJ
EGZU
ZECZ
EKEO
SIGY
ARMD
RIWO

That would mean about 40,000 out of 456,976 combos are truly pronounceable.

•••
I just went through those 200 in 5 minutes and picked out 18 strong or at least pronounceable ones. So maybe 9% of 4L's have decent pronouncability.

QOUJ
SYMB
HAUQ
RAKZ
WEGY
NODO
GUSU
RUBI
EECU
CISE
ZYPY
UZUJ
EGZU
ZECZ
EKEO
SIGY
ARMD
RIWO

That would mean about 40,000 out of 456,976 combos are truly pronounceable.

Yeah, depending on how strict you are about pronounceability, you'd get 30,000 to 60,000 names.

Now, can you check how many of your 200 are used as a company name?

•••
•••
For example, I picked Rakz and seems like there is rakz.com.pk - a company in pakistan, rakzentertainment.com is also Pakistan, possibly the same company's.

Rakz Consultancies are in SA http://www.rakzconsultancies.com.sa/

Rakz Law coming soon Israel, at rakz-law.com

etc.

•••
@Nat Hunt and @Recons.Com

I didn't make myself clear enough.

"out of all" was referring to all available brand names that has been documented by sites like crunchbase, dngeek etc. Not necessarily how many brands can be generated from a 4L domain.

It's not about what we think are great but about what customers are demanding.

We all can agree that 4L are not the best performing because of it's capacity, yes? Or your simply not convinced at this time?

How is brandbucket 4L market performing? Simply compute Rank(Char_Lenght_Sold/Char_Lenght_inventory)

What is the current demand for 4L by business Startups?
Requires a different computation.

Which you need?

Last edited:
•••
@Nat Hunt and @Recons.Com

I didn't make myself clear enough.

"out of all" was referring to all available brand names that has been documented by sites like crunchbase, dngeek etc. Not necessarily how many brands can be generated from a 4L domain.

It's not about what we think are great but about what customers are demanding.

We all can agree that 4L are not the best performing because of it's capacity, yes? Or your simply not convinced at this time?

Not convinced. 4Ls simply don't have the same availability or pricing. You won't see many 2L or 3L startups, but not because they are not desirable.

Few years ago I got 3L.com for my startup for around 4k, but changed its name when I got offer for 25K for it. And it was random mix of letters. So are you saying it was undesirable for me? )

•••

I don't know what you mean by "because of its capacity."

I would say 4L are the best performing (they have the best sell-through rate), but I don't really invest in them because they cost too much and I don't think the return on investment is as good.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back