IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I figured it was a news site or something. Thanks for sharing.

To put BrandBucket in contrast with other marketplaces:

Sedo.com has 9,751 likes.

BrandRoot has 8,680 likes. [I've heard whispers that they use aggressive (but effective) black hat seo strategies] They are more active on Facebook, but I wouldn't put it past them to have inflated likes in a similar fashion. Rader is a ninja.

Namerific has 560 likes.

Flippa has 33,284 likes.

NameJet has 3,054 likes.

AfterNic has 2,558.

Catchy has 469 likes.

Fiverr has likes and other BS social in packages at very low cost, the entire like metric is gameable. The cost is so cheap that anyone can afford it, go buy 10000 likes if you think it will help your business, its corrupt and your website will have purchased more than these other marketplaces. The whole social network acceptance thing is really corrupt and find it amusing that people put any stock in it at all. Take a look at all the fake promotions you can buy on fiverr. Its a laugh.

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/online-marketing/social-marketing?source=gallery-listing

Last edited:
•••
Fiverr has likes and other BS social in packages at very low cost, the entire like metric is gameable. The cost is so cheap that anyone can afford it, go buy 10000 likes if you think it will help your business, its corrupt and your website will have purchased more than these other marketplaces. The whole social network acceptance thing is really corrupt and find it amusing that people put any stock in it at all. Take a look at all the fake promotions you can buy on fiverr. Its a laugh.

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/online-marketing/social-marketing?source=gallery-listing

Would be stupid to buy fake likes. A social network always starts with showing your latest post to a small pilot group and then based on popularity scales up. With lots of fake likes, it will conclude that your post doesn't engage people and will stop showing further.

•••
Not to open up any old wounds, but can anyone tell me why Swidoo/com is listed 1st in search 'Design' when sorted by default 'relevance'?

upload_2017-6-27_23-32-58.png

When sorting search 'design' by price, Swidoo is the 698th (page 15) most expensive domain searchable by 'Design' - https://www.brandbucket.com/names/search=design&sort=price&page=15

The most expensive domain searchable with 'design' is a GREAT $300k one word domain (Sketch/com) >>> In bb default relevant search 'design' sketch is on page 12 (position #580)
https://www.brandbucket.com/names/search=design&page=12

upload_2017-6-27_23-28-3.png

More over, Swidoo has been listed on BB for 5+ years (since 2012) and still hasn't sold. Why (after 5 years) does this domain (that, IMO, isn't directly related to fashion) still positioned number 1?

@Justin Matmor - Please don't try to contradict this, just to contradict me. This is for the good of the company (more profit if they sell Sketch) and for the good of sellers (more accurate / fair internal search)

Last edited:
•••
Not to open up any old wounds, but can anyone tell me why Swidoo/com is listed 1st in search 'Design' when sorted by default 'relevance'?

Show attachment 62407

When sorting search 'design' by price, Swidoo is the 698th (page 15) most expensive domain searchable by 'Design' - https://www.brandbucket.com/names/search=design&sort=price&page=15

The most expensive domain searchable with 'design' is a GREAT $300k one word domain (Sketch/com) >>> In bb default relevant search 'design' sketch is on page 12 (position #580)
https://www.brandbucket.com/names/search=design&page=12

Show attachment 62403

More over, Swidoo has been listed on BB for 5+ years (since 2012) and still hasn't sold. Why (after 5 years) does this domain (that, IMO, isn't directly related to fashion) still positioned number 1?

@Justin Matmor - Please don't try to contradict this, just to contradict me. This is for the good of the company (more profit if they sell Sketch) and for the good of sellers (more accurate / fair internal search)
Thanks for the heads up. Time to remove all my names and look for a different marketplace.

•••

Try checking the Whois on this one...

•••
Try checking the Whois on this one...
Although I might seem to be an unlikely person to defend BB, I do believe them when they stated that the seller is not an input to determine search results.
More over, Swidoo has been listed on BB for 5+ years (since 2012)
This is much more likely to be the reason it appears. When they updated their search one of the stated goals (pretty sure stated in this thread) was to bubble up older inventory. The problem I had with this is that it could be dialed up too high, and the main beneficiaries of this change would then be those sellers with the oldest portfolios. I'm sure it does not need to be stated who the seller with the oldest portfolio is.

I'm quite sure that age and price are 2 of the inputs to search, and this was a reason I disliked the changes they made. It naturally favoured insiders who tended to have older names and could (at one time) set their own pricing.

•••
This is much more likely to be the reason it appears. When they updated their search one of the stated goals (pretty sure stated in this thread) was to bubble up older inventory.

Interesting theory. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to continue looking into this.

The only thing that (sorta) combats that argument is search=design rankings 2-5 are 2015/2016 regs...

Below screenshot sorted by search rankings 1-23 for 'design' default sort.

upload_2017-6-28_2-25-54.png

Bo/Haus (1st page # 9) - 2002 reg was added in the May 12th 2017 bb New Domain Newsletter.

Edit:

The #3 domain on Page one of 'Tech' domains was added to the 9.9.2016 bb new domains newsletter.

#1 (Tech/Static) BB NS since 9/2014 (archive.org shows it published May 2008 for $3,250. Now for sale for $5,495 (Why is it worth more after going unsold for 9 years?)
#2 BB (Tech/izer) May 2013

upload_2017-6-28_2-31-53.png

Last edited:
•••
The only thing that (sorta) combats that argument is search=design rankings 2-4 are 2015/2016 regs...
Age is only one input, so I don't expect the results to only include aged names. It's also possible that the registration date happened after the name was first listed on BB, and I've registered names and later discovered that they were previously listed on BB. That history stays in BB as you don't have to pay fees to list, so it would make sense that the "age" they use isn't updated when a name is relisted.

What would be interesting to show in your image is the sales price. You might start to see some further correlations when you look at that variable. My theory is that a certain price range is favoured along with higher priced names and names that were editors picks (or whatever it is these days).

•••
Age is only one input, so I don't expect the results to only include aged names. It's also possible that the registration date happened after the name was first listed on BB, and I've registered names and later discovered that they were previously listed on BB. That history stays in BB as you don't have to pay fees to list, so it would make sense that the "age" they use isn't updated when a name is relisted.

I was going to add that disclaimer, but after checking one archive screenshots, I assumed (incorrectly) this was not the case for all 2-5 of search=design....As #2 has bb history prior to WHOIS reg date. (Thanks for pointing this out)

EDIT: Simply checking first nameserver appearance is not sufficient for verifying bb add date. Archived screen shots show domain being listed prior to Nameserver dates for some domains.

BB NS = BrandBucket nameservers found as early as [Month/Year]

#2 (BB NS on 12/2014) Earliest Archived Screenshot: April 5th, 2015
#3 (BB NS on 12/2016) Earliest Archived Screenshot: Jan 8th, 2017
#4 (BB NS on 7/2016) Earliest Archived Screenshot: Aug 15, 2015
#5 (BB NS on 5/2017) Earliest Archived Screenshot: N/A

Last edited:
•••
#1 (Tech/Static) BB NS since 9/2014 (archive.org shows it published May 2008 for $3,250. Now for sale for $5,495 (Why is it worth more after going unsold for 9 years?)

In Margots defense for this price increase / number 1 search position for search=tech, there are two primed endusers for this domain.

TechStaticUS.com and TechStaticGlobal.com (2013 regs)
upload_2017-6-28_3-14-52.png
upload_2017-6-28_3-15-24.png

Last edited:
•••
I'm quite sure that age and price are 2 of the inputs to search, and this was a reason I disliked the changes they made. It naturally favoured insiders who tended to have older names and could (at one time) set their own pricing.

I think you're on to something with this. It would be interesting to see what the sales through rate was prior to these changes.

Something that doesn't make since is old bb domains (even ones dropped because they weren't 'good enough' to renew or w/e) are now shown preference in searches over fresh new to market inventory? :sick: (according to this theory)

**I've noticed lots of LOW priced old bb domains being positioned on the last page of searches. Thus supporting your assertion that price matters as well as bb age.

Last edited:
•••
When they updated their search one of the stated goals (pretty sure stated in this thread) was to bubble up older inventory.

I couldn't find any reference to their updated search. I found the below post from Margot (2014) explaining how their search worked then.

upload_2017-6-28_4-1-34.png

Then, the below quote from MK in 2015.

We aren't messing with any algorithms or search results to highlight my names or boxador's names over anyone else's names.

The thing is, if price / bb add date / staff picks are data points in the algorithm, then they are 100% highlighting their names over their average seller. As BB add date heavily plays into Margot / MK / other vocal supporters. Staff picks / pricing is something only BB staff has control of.

Lastly, an interesting precursor ((below)) (July 25th, 2015) to BB's NameMyCompany...

Very few people ask us to give them suggestions on what name they should buy. And almost always, these inquiries never lead to a sale. Since I've been a part of BB, there hasn't been one sale go through that started with this inquiry. When these questions do come through, I can assure you that there is not any bias put into the suggestions they are given.

Lastly, if 95% of sales derive from BB search ((as quoted by Margot)), why have the same names dominate page 1 search results for extended periods of time. @Abdullah Abdullah mentioned (below) Xefio was #2 for search=Tech in February 2017, now 4 months later ((who knows - maybe on page 1 since being published in September 2016)), Xefio is still unsold and on the first page (#3) for search=tech. Will it be on page one for 1+ year if unsold? Why not recycle with one of the many other CVCio.com's published by bb sellers. (lot's of CVCio.com's have been on BB longer than Xefio too!)

You are right. We are not on the same page cause you didnt get the big picture this discussion is about. I for one didnt say you cant get on first page of any keyword at all...Hell I know someone who owns one Media name and it is on page one ...no, that is not the point of this discussion. The point is, when you make a search and 48 names are returned, then how many of those names are owned by the staff ? When I give you 30 names out of 48 names owned by the staff then you should understand the thing we are talking about. Here, for the word tech which @boker mentioned it has like 5000 names. First page results.

1 Margot
6 Privacy
1 Ambassador

Krell

1. TechProwl
  2. Xefio
  3. TechBark
  4. techglove
  5. techloving
  6. techcog
  7. techflame
  8. techyjobs
  9. techmoda
  10. techcovery
  11. techwich
  12. techfork
  13. techcrop
  14. techsculpt
  15. techias
  16. techbrush
  17. techpond
  18. techclip
  19. techpaw
  20. techfad
  21. techyguide
So Krell owns 21 , Margot 1 and Amb 1 , that is 24 out of the 48 displayed on first page ONLY that are owned by the staff. I hope you now see what we are talking about here .

**I suspect they are updating their search (maybe more heavily favored to old bb domains)) as I'm seeing position changes since my last audit**

Last edited:
•••
Updates to search came a long time ago now, I suspect at least 1-2 years ago.

I'm surprised at the 95% statistic. It may well be accurate, but I wonder how many of those users arrive via type-in traffic? I'm pretty confident that more than 5% of my sales came from direct navigation traffic.

•••
Updates to search came a long time ago now, I suspect at least 1-2 years ago.

I'm surprised at the 95% statistic. It may well be accurate, but I wonder how many of those users arrive via type-in traffic? I'm pretty confident that more than 5% of my sales came from direct navigation traffic.
That 95% doesn't hold true today. She said that back in August 24, 2014 when they only had 5,243 names and very few sellers. As a side note Krell had just become a brand ambassador in July 2014 when he had 275 names and 20 total sales.

There is no way that 95% of their sales come from search now. I would say that 95% of their sales come from direct navigation in 2017.

•••
That 95% doesn't hold true today. She said that back in August 24, 2014 when they only had 5,243 names and very few sellers. As a side note Krell had just become a brand ambassador in July 2014 when he had 275 names and 20 total sales.

There is no way that 95% of their sales come from search now. I would say that 95% of their sales come from direct navigation in 2017.

I am puzzled then. Search is not where the sales come from. Correct me if I am wrong, but If 95% of their sales come from direct navigation, that means its type in traffic. What prevents someone to have success if they arrive at any website like your own instead?

•••
What's the definition of type-in and search this context?

Type-in leading to a sale of the typed in name?

Type-in of one name, leading to BB being discovered, leading to a search, leading to another BB name selling to that buyer? Is the latter considered a type-in sale or a search sale?

The biggest advantage of having a name listed on BB used to be that buyers would discover your name via search. I'm sure a lot of my past sales have come from people typing in other sellers names, and then doing a search, and then discovering one of my names as a result. People have probably typed in my names too, and ended up buying a completely different BB listed name instead as well, but I always felt that I gained more sales than I lost at BB in 2015 to mid/late 2016. I think the majority of marketplace search sales still happen in this way, rather than people going to brandbucket.com to search.

With the massive inventory growth, I see far less of the kinds of sales I had in 2015-16. I'm selling much fewer "average" names at BB this year. Had lots of sales for $1495 $1795, $1995, $2395, $2795, etc. in past years. This year, I've had more sales above $5000 than below $5000. That's good for short term results, but I have far more average names (and averaged priced names) listed at BB so it is not looking too good for those names, and the seeming decrease in such sales seem to attest to the decreased efficiency of having average quality brandable names listed at BB, and then have end-users discover and buy them.

Last edited:
•••
Type in is direct navigation. Search is searching at BB. If someone types in and lands on your name but buys another name they see then I am sure they would consider that a search sale even though it's really not.

•••
What's the definition of type-in and search this context?

Type-in leading to a sale of the typed in name?

Type-in of one name, leading to BB being discovered, leading to a search, leading to another BB name selling to that buyer? Is the latter considered a type-in sale or a search sale?

The biggest advantage of having a name listed on BB used to be that buyers would discover your name via search. I'm sure a lot of my past sales have come from people typing in other sellers names, and then doing a search, and then discovering one of my names as a result. People have probably typed in my names too, and ended up buying a completely different BB listed name instead as well, but I always felt that I gained more sales than I lost at BB in 2015 to mid/late 2016. I think the majority of marketplace search sales still happen in this way, rather than people going to brandbucket.com to search.

With the massive inventory growth, I see far less of the kinds of sales I had in 2015-16. I'm selling much fewer "average" names at BB this year. Had lots of sales for $1495 $1795, $1995, $2395, $2795, etc. in past years. This year, I've had more sales above $5000 than below $5000. That's good for short term results, but I have far more average names (and averaged priced names) listed at BB so it is not looking too good for those names, and the seeming decrease in such sales seem to attest to the decreased efficiency of having average quality brandable names listed at BB, and then have end-users discover and buy them.

The algorithm of placing higher priced names at the beginning of any keyword search is probably why you are having sales above $5,000. Also why Krell gets so many sales. It's easy when you get to negotiate directly with the potential buyer. He may put pricing high to get more exposure and lower the price once an offer comes in. BB says most sales are buy it now without any negotiations but I don't think that's the case for everyone. BB and Krell own 25% of the inventory and I'm sure many offers are made when you have that many names.

Higher priced names tend to get much more exposure in direct navigation. If you have a $1,795 name then you probably won't be on the first 10 pages of the most popular keyword searches. Probably why your sales have dipped in this price range too. Also why their average sale price tends to be above the $2,000 threshold since all the higher priced names will show up first.

If a buyer finds a name they like for $2,500 on page 1 or 2 they won't even bother continuing to look even if they may find something $500 cheaper on page 10. Most buyers see no difference between paying $2,500 or $2,000, to them the 500 bucks saved isn't worth their time. If the insiders are able to control their pricing then it is a HUGE advantage since raising the price of a name most probably gets them on page 1 or 2. Choosing any popular keyword search and seeing who owns the names on the first two pages will give you the answer to that.

•••
The algorithm of placing higher priced names at the beginning of any keyword search is probably why you are having sales above $5,000. Also why Krell gets so many sales. It's easy when you get to negotiate directly with the potential buyer. He may put pricing high to get more exposure and lower the price once an offer comes in. BB says most sales are buy it now without any negotiations but I don't think that's the case for everyone. BB and Krell own 25% of the inventory and I'm sure many offers are made when you have that many names.

Higher priced names tend to get much more exposure in direct navigation. If you have a $1,795 name then you probably won't be on the first 10 pages of the most popular keyword searches. Probably why your sales have dipped in this price range too. Also why their average sale price tends to be above the $2,000 threshold since all the higher priced names will show up first.

If a buyer finds a name they like for $2,500 on page 1 or 2 they won't even bother continuing to look even if they may find something $500 cheaper on page 10. Most buyers see no difference between paying $2,500 or $2,000, to them the 500 bucks saved isn't worth their time. If the insiders are able to control their pricing then it is a HUGE advantage since raising the price of a name most probably gets them on page 1 or 2. Choosing any popular keyword search and seeing who owns the names on the first two pages will give you the answer to that.

25% owned by insiders? 10,000 names? Wow. There also seems to be several people with 6000 ea. linked in, not sure about who they are. Above in this thread a specific name was mentioned, is that a house owned name? I studied DNbolts really nice website and one namepros member has studied the market/0owners, not sure if that data is buried above or not.

•••
Greetings all!

Anyone knows why some domains are serving 404
e.g apru/com ?

Just want to be sure... (mostly common with sold names but not all)

Last edited:
•••
Greetings all!

Anyone knows why some domains are serving 404
e.g apru/com ?

Just want to be sure... (mostly common with sold names but not all)

Check the WHOIS -- the domain is currently in bb's GoDaddy escrow account (assuming awaiting transfer to buyer)

Brandbucket.com/apru is showing your typical sold page. Logo with no BIN option.

Assuming the 404 page is related to a NS / redirect change that occurred when pushing the domain to bb's escrow account.

•••
Check the WHOIS -- the domain is currently in bb's GoDaddy escrow account (assuming awaiting transfer to buyer)

Brandbucket.com/apru is showing your typical sold page. Logo with no BIN option.

Assuming the 404 page is related to a NS / redirect change that occurred when pushing the domain to bb's escrow account.

What about this one arkle/com ? :)

•••
What about this one arkle/com ? :)

Great domain!

It APPEARS to have sold. (NO BIN with logo etc) Assuming a new sale awaiting push / transfer?

The WHOIS hasn't been updated since May 4th. (domain not in bb escrow account)

If not a new sale, then my assumption was it was a failed sale, and is awaiting relisting.

•••
Okay, so I plotted a quick graph (adhoc analysis) and saw that there was about 20% sales drop for
June 2017 compared to June 2016. Other months sales seems still have a very close correlation(so where is the growth?) until June 2017/2016..

Could this be wrong, could I be missing something?

As an investor is important to know these stats in order to place eggs at appropriate baskets.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, so I plotted a quick graph (adhoc analysis) and saw that there was about 20% sales drop for
June 2017 compared to June 2016. Other months sales seems still have a very close correlation(so where is the growth?) until June 2017/2016..

Could this be wrong, could I be missing something?

As an investor is important to know these stats in order to place eggs at appropriate baskets.

False Alarm! The new 404 update for all classes of domains tricked me! :playful:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back