Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@belmar313

Great question...

At the time of submission to BB, the site asks a question (with a confirmation box to click) to confirm you own and are authorized to sell the name you are submitting.

Submitting names that you do not currently own is outside of TOS.

Also, it is not fair to the person who currently owns the name that you are submitting it to BrandBucket without their consent.

Suggestion - if you want a 100% approval rating when submitting to BB, then I recommend buying previously published/approved names that are listed for sale on NamePros. There is a solid secondary market here on NamePros with known/trusted members who wholesale names to BB members interested in accelerating the growth of their portfolios.

I hope the suggestion helps...

-Jim

•••
I was taking a look at BB previous sales, and decided to check on what type of site was built on each sold domain. For the first 20 domains I checked at DnBolt.com, I believe only 2 took me to a service/product site, or at least an ''under construction'' site. The rest of them took me to the domain page at Brandbucket as if it was still for sale.....what could be the reason for that? Maybe buyers have not developed the site yet? or the purchase was cancelled? Looking for insights....thanks!

•••
I was taking a look at BB previous sales, and decided to check on what type of site was built on each sold domain. For the first 20 domains I checked at DnBolt.com, I believe only 2 took me to a service/product site, or at least an ''under construction'' site. The rest of them took me to the domain page at Brandbucket as if it was still for sale.....what could be the reason for that? Maybe buyers have not developed the site yet? or the purchase was cancelled? Looking for insights....thanks!

Yes that usually means they bought the name but have not even started on a website. They have not even changed the nameservers.

I have checked quite a few from the sold list, the largest ever published by DNGeek which built upon the very first compilation that I did years ago with a contribution from Hookbox.

This post is required reading and worth referring back to for your own research.

http://dngeek.com/2015/05/here-are-1134-names-that-sold-on-brandbucket/

•••
In a week or two I will have 25 names in Brandbucket and 30 names with Namerific all with very similar price points (low x,xxx to low xx,xxx) so that should be a pretty good litmus test. BB is so far winning 1-0 and Namerific had a 5-7 week lead time.

Doing some research on old postings I came across this,

Kind of like the first appearance of Batman in a comic book, this was the first appearance of Michael Krell 3 years ago.

You have come a long way Michael.

•••
•••
Today is the one year anniversary of Votes for Credits going bye bye.

Around 14,000 names at that time on BrandBucket

http://brandbucket.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/j/30C165E48D905654/586DF2BBB710F6630CC2E775D3CF5869

They more than doubled their inventory since the free voting credits discontinued. I have to be honest, I never expected that. I even think I said somewhere in this thread that I wouldn't think they would hit 30k domains. And look at them now, 32k+ domains and counting.

•••
They more than doubled their inventory since the free voting credits discontinued. I have to be honest, I never expected that. I even think I said somewhere in this thread that I wouldn't think they would hit 30k domains. And look at them now, 32k+ domains and counting.

Yeah there are a bunch of people who thought they would see a slowdown Doron. Brandables are stronger than ever thanks to this thread, your blog and new domainers coming in and looking for opportunity. Newer domainers with small budgets could not afford to play in the LLL.com/LLLL.com/NNNN.com/NNNNN.com sandbox, so they sought out another niche where they did not need $10,000 to get started.

•••
I've never tried BB, is there a minimum number of names you have to submit for review when you sign up? Can I send 1 or 2 names only? thanks

•••
You can send just one name and they will review it.

•••
I've just noticed a weird thing on Namepros. In the Request Domains section I've seen 2 threads where very low prices were offered for BB names (less than $10 for accepted and less than $20 for published names). I find it ridiculous, I've sold a few accepted names for more than $30! What do you think, what is the real minimum price for BB accepted/published names?

•••
I've just noticed a weird thing on Namepros. In the Request Domains section I've seen 2 threads where very low prices were offered for BB names (less than $10 for accepted and less than $20 for published names). I find it ridiculous, I've sold a few accepted names for more than $30! What do you think, what is the real minimum price for BB accepted/published names?

Please dont send names if its not acceptable.
There is no real minimum price. It may be reg fee+BBFee or 100.

Last edited:
•••
IMO, the minimum for any BB approved domain should be $20.

•••
Absolutely weird alright...they think someone will sell them BB names for $5. I would rather drop my non performing names than sell them for $5.

•••

I would agree sellers willing to work will get more than that. Take the time to do auctions, it takes more time but you can get more than $10.

•••
OK, so this leads me to comment that I think wholesale pricing is too often out of alignment with expected return. If you have a large portfolio (say 500-1K names) published you know your sales rate on BB. You have to make a faulty assumption* that all names are equal, and then your expected return in year 1 for any name is:

((listing price * 0.7) - 100) * sales rate

Taking a name listed for $2,000 the income from a sale is:

(2,000 * 0.7) - 100 = 1300

Now assuming your sales rate is 3%, the expected return in year 1 is:

1300 * 0.03 = $39

Unless it's a really great name that would sell itself I wouldn't want to pay more than around 60% of my expected return at wholesale**. You need to factor in the $10 listing cost, plus the cost of renewing the name during the year. Now the economics don't look so rosy.

Just posting the above as I think there is a group of new brandable domainers rushing in without a realistic view of the economics of selling on BB. It's like stock-picking - sure some sellers will outperform, but it's a zero-sum game here since for some sellers to outperform others have to underperform. As your portfolio on BB grows to the 500-1K names you'll likely approach the market average sales rate, so that's what you should really expect IMO. A healthy wholesale market is a good thing, and supportive of a healthy primary market, but right now I think we're seeing a bubble, and I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed sellers in 9-12 months time trying to figure out why their sales are not as stellar as they expected them to be.

Just my current $0.02...

* Other than assigning a probability to each domain of selling, I think this is about as good as it gets with large portfolios. It's very similar to diversification in stock theory.

** I just offered 100% of my expected 12-month return for 6 listed names, while the buyer wants exactly double that. I can understand where he is coming from entirely, but paying 24 months expected return for domains priced sub $4K isn't going to pay the mortgage.

•••
Today is the one year anniversary of Votes for Credits going bye bye.

Around 14,000 names at that time on BrandBucket

http://brandbucket.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/j/30C165E48D905654/586DF2BBB710F6630CC2E775D3CF5869

Hey Raymond thanks for the roll down memory lane! :laugh:
Do you happen to know when the free credits system was started. When I started on BB I paid several publishing fees before I learned about the voting system which had already been in place for some time.
Any idea when it started?

•••
•••
•••
Thanks Raymond, you are the man with answers! It looks like I missed out on about half the months that opportunity was available as I didn't have any names accepted until Jan 2015. Or should I say I caught about half of that opportunity window? :roll:

Well and truly in the caught side of things! I wish I was around in the days of credits and 99c godaddy domains!

•••
One question I got is if put up your BB listed name at your store(like one provided by EFTY),is it a violation of their TOS??

•••
One question I got is if put up your BB listed name at your store(like one provided by EFTY),is it a violation of their TOS??

Once you publish the name at BB they have the exclusive rights to the sale and the commission. You can reach out to potential buyers as long as the buyer completes the sale via BB.

As for listing the domain at EFTY etc. I'm not sure of the details but if you listing does not indicate the the domain is for sale at BrandBucket I believe you would be in violation of their Terms of Use. But you can check with them to be sure. They are very helpful.

[email protected]

•••
Well and truly in the caught side of things! I wish I was around in the days of credits and 99c godaddy domains!
Yes, I'm grateful for whatever time I caught. As far as cheap regs there are still temporary specials at various registrars for $1.49 and $1.99 reg fees (all you can eat for a few hours or a few days) There are several threads on NP dedicated to that if it interests you.

•••
They changed their business model ... Now they make money from listing fees :$:

•••
IMO, the minimum for any BB approved domain should be $20.
Being "approved by BB" does not add any value to a domain name !
Brandables are subjective; everyone has his own criteria and these days BB approves almost everything in order to get the listing fee ...

•••
Being "approved by BB" does not add any value to a domain name !
Brandables are subjective; everyone has his own criteria and these days BB approves almost everything in order to get the listing fee ...
Disagree.

I have submitted over 50 names at BB in recent months and have over 40 rejections. Based on your hypothesis why would BB reject $400 worth of listing fees?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back