IT.COM

Brandbucket Challenges Dnbolt For Reporting Sales Data

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dnbolt

Top Member
Impact
Hi guys today I made a final decision to join namepros. I don’t normally participate in forums discussions etc. I have BIG concern that I want to share with you and get your opinions.

Little bit about myself: l am a student, I recently developed interest in data, I am a part time domain investor, I spend most of my time creating unbeatable algorithms and finally as you may know I publish BB sales at dnbolt

About a year I started developing interests in brandabale domain. I needed to get some insight about sold domains from brandbucket but quickly learnt brandbucket doesn’t publish them. But fortunately enough we all know that in the domain name world most data is obtainable, right?

To keep things short, I have been getting emails from brandbucket asking me if I can prevent making the data crawlable by search engine technically asking me to make the content available to just myself.
Months later I got a forwarded email asking if I can obfuscate the sold domains I have listed to prevent google indexing the content. But to be honest if google index my content on search how is that my problem?
Surprisingly they have even gone the extent of contacting my hosting provider. I was a little bit upset that they contacted my hosting as I was only being helpful providing data to those who needed it and instead of getting a pat on the back for my hard work, I got accused and an invisible spanking.

My question to you is.

1. How can a marketplace try to claim ownership or exclusive rights to a domain that has been SOLD and no longer listed on the site for sale?
2. How can a SOLD DOMAIN still belong to the previous marketplace in any way, shape or or form?
3. Why can’t they be happy that I am helping them to publish sales data for free?
4. Does BB have any right to challenge Dnbolt for the kind service he renders?
5. Do I have to listen to BB and stop proving sales data to the public?

I would like to hear your thoughts thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why shouldn't he post them? You've stated here on NP that you have over $1.1 million in BB listed names. What you forgot to mention to the new people that read this thread is that at your current rate of selling approx. 11 names a year ( I think you said you have 500 on BB) it will take you -with renewals-about 60 years to sell those names and probably more. I have a degree in mathematics but you certainly don't need one to figure out that as your inventory winds down by 11 to 15 names a year in sales and BB adds names at even a minimal rate the probabilities of your names selling goes south exponentially. That said-I wish you the best-but let's not mislead any new people here with your $1.1 million statement. (btw I don't think you intentionally mislead anyone).

@London555 I couldn't PM you, so I'm asking here. Since you have a degree in mathematics, do you mind helping me solve an equation? I'm wondering if there's a formula to account for free cash flow and the advantage one would have if they focused their listing fee's on better regs:

Use the following sample figures as an example

Marketplace Payout (12 months): $17,000
Total Reinvested in domains: $9,000
Total Payout $8,000

If the above figures were from somebody who received 500 free listing fee's, how would one account for the $5,000 in perks not accounted for? Do you simply subtract $5,000 would have been listing fee's from for $8,000 total profit, and disregard any free cash flow variables? Then the issue becomes with only $3,000 adjusted profit, how do you account for 500 annual renewal fee's at $4,000 with only $3,000 profit? Did I jack up my figures? I know you would need more variables to complete this equation accurately, but if able with the information provided, I'd appreciate any numerical break down you can provide.

I'd like to use this example to figure out a formula for a healthy growth strategy that accounts for listing fee's. For example, if I pay $4,000 / year in renewals, and all of my domains netted me $1,300 after sold (Net payout for a domain that sells at listed price $2,000) I would need to make at least 4 sales to churn a profit. How does this formula work when factoring portfolio growth to also account for one time $10 listing fees for domains added? The thinking, legacy domains don't sell as quickly as newly regged domains. I could be wrong, but I'm going off of MK submitting new domains vs Margot who doesn't new domains. So to maintain my large portfolio, I'd have to either sell cheap what I can't renew and use the profits to renew, or continuously add new domains until I reached the desired sell through rate.

Last edited:
•••
How about a list of rejections? You'd be my hero.

This is a great idea, @Dnbolt, how about it?!

I can provide you over 1,000 BrandBucket rejections to use for your sample. Though, I think it would help if other members contributed their rejections so we can create a broader sample. To my knowledge, nobody has analyzed rejected domains to the point of knowing if certain members have better chances of having their domains accepted. I highly doubt this is the case, but I raise the question because when I first started domaining, I had more bad domains then good domains, and I wonder if good names get lost in a sea of bad domains. Why not resubmit them? They've already been marked rejected, and BB's rejected domain overturn rate is very low. I even had pronouncable 4L rejected twice. Namerific accepted this 4L, wrote a description, added tags, categorized the domain, made a logo, corrected the logo, and still, they allow me to list with other marketplaces even though they did all this for FREE... or on spec.

Why does a marketplace accepting your domain on spec matter? It incentives the marketplace to sell your domain, because they don't make money, until you make money. BrandBucket use to accept domains on spec when they allowed sellers to vote in exchange for free listing fee's. Many sellers are still selling solely on spec while newer sellers are required to pay to play. When a marketplace believes in your domain to the point they're willing to pay to have a logo designed and description written for FREE, and still allow you to list with other marketplaces, they then become the ones that pay to play to list our domains. NR doesn't require domain forwarding so they don't delist domains like BR and BB when they are no longer forwarded. I had a conversation with a NR seller that received a sold notification a few months after they let it expire. The seller was able to buy the domain back for under $1,000 and still make a profit. The point being, NR has their own set of buyers who search their database. What's the risk if you have a premium domain to list simultaneously with NR, Sedo, AfterNic, Flippa BIN, NamePros, and more for FREE?

Once we're finished, we can release the data to everybody for FREE!

Why? Because, "Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

Last edited:
•••
I am one of those who got disproportionate number of rejects. When I see the names sold here that are BB accepted, I cringe, some of them are that awful, some long with meaningless suffixes etc.

Here are some examples of my rejects:

f/o/j/e/t, b/i/x/o/m, d/o/l/u/o, q/a/r/e/r/s, b/a/r/g/a/i/n/i/c/a, s/p/o/r/t/h/a/t, m/a/r/k/e/t/c/y, a/f/a/r/i/o, a/r/y/z/o/n/a, t/o/u/r/o/u/s, r/e/g/i/o/n/l/y, s/o/f/t/e/r/y, n/e/o/w/y, h/o/t/a/r/a, z/o/u/z/y, e/n/n/i/c/a, s/o/l/u/x/y, b/u/c/c/a/r/o, a/i/r/e/m/a, d/o/d/l/e/r, z/o/l/d/o/u/t, a/t/r/a/c/to, r/i/c/o/d/y, n/i/l/o/r/o, h/o/a/r/d/z, f/i/o/r/r, c/r/a/f/t/u/o, e/a/r/n/i/n/t/e/r/e/s/t, p/e/l/g/e, d/e/n/t/i/r/a, p/a/w/g/r/a/m/, t/e/l/o/p/a, p/o/u/d/o and hundreds of others.

I have stopped submitting new names to BB for some time. At least with Brandroot rejects and accepts I see pattern and logic and match with their typically listed names.

With BB, I don't see logic very often. Take s/o/f/t/e/r/y. Soft is huge industry. -ery is one of the populary created word suffixes on BB. Or h/o/t/a/r/a. Lots of h/o/t words there, bunch of /a/r/a endings, but this one is not good for them. I have n/e/s/t/i/r/a listed with them (was already approved before I owned it), but d/e/n/t/i/r/a is not good.

Why is just listed g/o/u/r/m/e/t/l/y better than r/e/g/i/o/n/l/y? Why c/o/v/u/x is better than b/i/x/o/m? Why z/o/z/i/c is better than z/o/u/z/y? Why e/p/l/o/o is accepted but based on a good business word f/e/s/t/o/o was rejected?

•••
I am one of those who got disproportionate number of rejects. When I see the names sold here that are BB accepted, I cringe, some of them are that awful, some long with meaningless suffixes etc.

f/o/j/e/t, b/i/x/o/m, d/o/l/u/o, q/a/r/e/r/s, b/a/r/g/a/i/n/i/c/a, s/p/o/r/t/h/a/t, m/a/r/k/e/t/c/y, a/f/a/r/i/o, a/r/y/z/o/n/a, t/o/u/r/o/u/s, r/e/g/i/o/n/l/y, s/o/f/t/e/r/y, n/e/o/w/y, h/o/t/a/r/a, z/o/u/z/y, e/n/n/i/c/a, s/o/l/u/x/y, b/u/c/c/a/r/o, a/i/r/e/m/a, d/o/d/l/e/r, z/o/l/d/o/u/t, a/t/r/a/c/to, r/i/c/o/d/y, n/i/l/o/r/o, h/o/a/r/d/z, f/i/o/r/r, c/r/a/f/t/u/o, e/a/r/n/i/n/t/e/r/e/s/t, p/e/l/g/e, d/e/n/t/i/r/a, p/a/w/g/r/a/m/, t/e/l/o/p/a, p/o/u/d/o and hundreds of others.

I have stopped submitting new names to BB for some time. At least with Brandroot rejects and accepts I see pattern and logic and match with their typically listed names.

With BB, I don't see logic very often. Take s/o/f/t/e/r/y. Soft is huge industry. -ery is one of the populary created word suffixes on BB. Or h/o/t/a/r/a. Lots of h/o/t words there, bunch of /a/r/a endings, but this one is not good for them. I have n/e/s/t/i/r/a listed with them (was already approved before I owned it), but d/e/n/t/i/r/a is not good.

Why is just listed g/o/u/r/m/e/t/l/y better than r/e/g/i/o/n/l/y? Why c/o/v/u/x is better than b/i/x/o/m? Why z/o/z/i/c is better than z/o/u/z/y? Why e/p/l/o/o is accepted but based on a good business word f/e/s/t/o/o was rejected?

Yep, some of them shouldn't have been a reject. I just analysed another of brandbucket sold domains and discovered some useful facts and went ahead to back order a domain based from data.

•••
I have concluded, based on my observations, that BB strategy has shifted to differentiate a lot for their inner circle (owners, managers, ambassadors and some closer sellers) and outsiders. For inner circle, they'll get borderline bad names accepted, for outsiders, they want only crop of the cream, because they realize that they cannot maintain the sell % and they will use only the best from outsiders that have good chance of sale regardless.

•••
•••

It's a waste of time for the average domain holder to submit names to BB. First of all they think they own the name not you and forever-but at your expense re: renewals. Secondly, your competition is approving the names you submit.

•••
It's a waste of time for the average domain holder to submit names to BB. First of all they think they own the name not you and forever-but at your expense re: renewals. Secondly, your competition is approving the names you submit.

Very well said.

•••
A thread for analysing brandbcuket sold domains =>Here :)

•••
Some of their selections are baffling. I hate to bring specific examples, and am truly sorry to their owners, but don't see the way to discuss the issue without specific examples. Can you believe e/p/l/o/o, z/o/z/i/c, g/o/u/r/m/e/t/l/y, p/u/f/f/p/i/e/c/e, u/p/s/p/r/e/e, t/a/r/g/e/t/h/i/v/e (what does target have to do with hive?!!! Or how does Up and Spree logically match??!, What is puff and piece together anyway?) are so good as to make it into featured? If I submitted v/u/t/i/i, it would have been a reject. I would skip right away if I saw m/e/e/h/i/v/e even without thinking. What is "m/e/e", what it has to do with hive? Is -zia a liked suffix by BB or "f/r/e/s/h/z/i/a got special treatment? Why b/l/e/n/d/a/r/a is featured, while h/o/t/a/r/a is rejected? Is i/n/n/o/v/a/z/i good because it rhymes with n/a/z/i or there is some deeper underlying thinking? Why is b/e/w/a/l/a accepted while b/e/m/a/ta is rejected? Why is i/n/n/o/r/i/c fantastic, while s/e/n/s/i/t/ic is rejected? Why is x/u/v/e/o better than d/o/l/u/o? Is s/t/u/d/a/t/o a brand for Italian studs? What is w/e/l/l/n/e/x/a? What is s/o/u/n/d/r/i/c? Since when adding -ric to a word is great? If I bring in something like g/r/o/u/n/d/r/i/c will they accept it?? It is available for hand reg, by the way.

Why z/m/a/r/t/l/y is accepted but z/o/l/d/o/u/t rejected? And same goes for almost every third featured or not brand there.

•••
Some of their selections are baffling. I hate to bring specific examples, and am truly sorry to their owners, but don't see the way to discuss the issue without specific examples. Can you believe e/p/l/o/o, z/o/z/i/c, g/o/u/r/m/e/t/l/y, p/u/f/f/p/i/e/c/e, u/p/s/p/r/e/e, t/a/r/g/e/t/h/i/v/e (what does target have to do with hive?!!! Or how does Up and Spree logically match??!, What is puff and piece together anyway?) are so good as to make it into featured? If I submitted v/u/t/i/i, it would have been a reject. I would skip right away if I saw m/e/e/h/i/v/e even without thinking. What is "m/e/e", what it has to do with hive? Is -zia a liked suffix by BB or "f/r/e/s/h/z/i/a got special treatment? Why b/l/e/n/d/a/r/a is featured, while h/o/t/a/r/a is rejected? Is i/n/n/o/v/a/z/i good because it rhymes with n/a/z/i or there is some deeper underlying thinking? Why is b/e/w/a/l/a accepted while b/e/m/a/ta is rejected? Why is i/n/n/o/r/i/c fantastic, while s/e/n/s/i/t/ic is rejected? Why is x/u/v/e/o better than d/o/l/u/o? Is s/t/u/d/a/t/o a brand for Italian studs? What is w/e/l/l/n/e/x/a? What is s/o/u/n/d/r/i/c? Since when adding -ric to a word is great? If I bring in something like g/r/o/u/n/d/r/i/c will they accept it?? It is available for hand reg, by the way.

Why z/m/a/r/t/l/y is accepted but z/o/l/d/o/u/t rejected? And same goes for almost every third featured or not brand there.
Why would "Up" have to have anything to do with "Spree" when it's owned by Boxador the principals of BB. As I said-a waste of time for the average domainer and not only a waste of time but very costly in some cases-very.

•••
I did not check who owns what in the above comparisons. I just opened bb and chose the ones that grabbed attention as "not making sense" ones on the first 2-3 pages of "featured", but, yes, I suspect most of them owned by owners/managers/ambassadors/closesellers/ inner circle.

•••

I submitted Vutii . com, and I'm not an owner nor an ambassador of BB. If you had submitted this name, it would have also been accepted. And no offense, but most of your rejected names (those you have listed here) are imho worse than the BB accepted names you made the comparison with.

•••
•••
I submitted Vutii . com, and I'm not an owner nor an ambassador of BB. If you had submitted this name, it would have also been accepted. And no offense, but most of your rejected names (those you have listed here) are imho worse than the BB accepted names you made the comparison with.
That's actually a good name and best of luck with it-it's now one of over 28,000 that a CEO has to choose from and you can't list it elsewhere.

•••
That's actually a good name and best of luck with it-it's now one of over 28,000 that a CEO has to choose from and you can't list it elsewhere.
Just because you can't list it elsewhere it foesn't mean you now become a passive investor with regards to your BB domains.

There are lots of ways to promote your BB listed domains without breaching BB rules.

•••
What is puff and piece together anyway?

That would be puff piece which is a real thing and describes the crap that newspapers use as filler. It's actually a very good name for certain uses.

My advice:
Focus on yourself and not others.

•••
Just because you can't list it elsewhere it foesn't mean you now become a passive investor with regards to your BB domains.

There are lots of ways to promote your BB listed domains without breaching BB rules.
Of course there is-promote your name so someone goes to the BB site and buys another of their 28,000 names and you get zero. Good luck.

•••
That would be puff piece which is a real thing and describes the crap that newspapers use as filler. It's actually a very good name for certain uses.

My advice:
Focus on yourself and not others.
As a rule you're 100% correct but f you're giving BB names of course you have to focus on others because you have to know just what they'll approve for anyone that's not an insider. These people are buying names and having them rejected-this costs BB zero. BB has no risk here when someone submits a name and they refuse to disclose the insider to outsider sales ratio so why wouldn't he look at the names they approve.

•••
I get alot of spam from BrandBucket asking me to list my names with them for 30% commission, with submission fee waived. I have zero interest, the names they are after are high target names which are in the 5 figure range for sure, it seems they are trying to beef up their inventory, while continuing to decline regular users inventory of brandables.
---

Hello,

My name is Michael Krell and I am the Managing Director of BrandBucket. We are the largest and most successful brandable marketplace where business go to find their perfect name. Listed names are curated and handpicked by linguist experts and listed for sale along with a logo as a ready-to-use brand. BrandBucket acts as an escrow agent between the name seller and the buyer, making the entire purchase an easy and secure process for both parties.

We see that you are the owner of XXXXXX.com which has an excellent opportunity to sell on our marketplace. We are in the midst of a major marketing push targeting founders, VC firms, and incubators with online ads, sponsorships, and mass mailings. In the last 14 months our traffic has risen 400% and our sales have increased by multiple folds year-over-year.

We would suggest listing XXXXXX.com for $19,995 and after commissions your take-home amount will be approximately $13,997 (70% of listing price)

Our sign-up and submission process is very straight-forward:

1. Follow the link below to register as a seller.
    https://www.brandbucket.com/user/register/domain_owner/
  2. Click on the green “Add Domains +” button on your seller dashboard.
  3. Submit the name(s) you wish to sell on BrandBucket
  4. Once approved, you will receive an email instructing you on your next steps. These steps include:
    1. Increasing or decreasing the suggested amount by 20%
    2. Providing any relevant information to our editors about what the name means to you.
    3. Selecting a logo reward between $100-$500 that will be awarded only if the name sells.
    4. Changing the name’s namerservers or forwarding the name to BrandBucket. **We will be happy to waive our regular $10 listing fee for this domain.**
  5. Once those steps are complete the name is sent to our editorial and design team where a description and logo is created and the name is published onto the marketplace.
In addition, we require exclusivity for all names in our marketplace and a 30-day notice for any name to be removed.

If you have any questions about us or the submission process, do not hesitate to contact me. We would love to bring you into the BrandBucket ecosystem!

Kind Regards,
Michael Krell

Not interested in receiving BrandBucket emails regarding the acceptance and pricing of additional domains? You can unsubscribe here.

•••
Linguist experts... Right...

Here is what they wrote in the description of my a/f/t/e/r/n/o/t/e/s

"After Notes: A combination of dictionary words referring to additions after the main body of text. Possible uses: A writing service. A paper products brand. An educational brand. A consulting group. A reviews site."

They seriously think afternotes is a combination of dictionary words and is written as after notes.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/afternote

Definition of afternote
plural afternotes

1. 1: a note that appears after the main body of a text < … made The Dead Alive a particularly fascinating read in 1874 because, as Collins wrote in an afternote, he based the novel on a real-life murder case … — Tom McNamee, Chicago Sun-Times, 1 Jan. 2006>

2. 2: a flavor of a food or drink that is sensed in the mouth after a more immediate or dominant flavor has receded < … while the ale's stronger, fruitier flavors masked the shellfish, the malt liquor provided only a slightly metallic afternote, letting through more of the essence of the mussels. — Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 14 June 2001>

•••
Quite frankly, I not only question your data, but don't trust it. I am with everyone else wanting more data, but your scraping seems to miss things. I'm a software engineer and I am not surprised that you would miss data if all you do is scrape the data and compare to whois, etc (what I understand of how you do it from your other posts)... As one example, I had a $5k sale on BB late last year that you missed (and no, I am not sharing the details of it). If you missed that, how many others did you miss? I thought I read others noticing some data missing as well in another thread... Is it really a 5% club or are you missing another 5%? 10%? 40%?

I appreciate data (although I don't always agree with your practices/viewpoints), but please don't take this as an attack on your data. It's just you are using it as proof of your arguments when I know for a fact that it is inaccurate data. Therefore, I cannot follow in line with your arguments/conclusions.

I have explained many times how it's done. You really think I just check whois? If you read carefully you will know when it started. Your sold domain is still in the database. But without price so if you like I can present it to you.

•••
I have explained many times how it's done. You really think I just check whois? If you read carefully you will know when it started.
I didn't say you just checked the whois. I mentioned other things and was by no means going into depth on how you do it. I HAVE read how you do it and by my knowledge/experience in software engineering for over 15 years, it isn't a method I would TRUST for data. Then add on the fact that I KNOW it is missing data and the data is worthless to me. This is a huge reason why I am an advocate for transparent data from BB - I want good data. But you can't make arguments with data that isn't 100% accurate (or super close to it)...

•••
I didn't say you just checked the whois. I mentioned other things and was by no means going into depth on how you do it. I HAVE read how you do it and by my knowledge/experience in software engineering for over 15 years, it isn't a method I would TRUST for data. Then add on the fact that I KNOW it is missing data and the data is worthless to me. This is a huge reason why I am an advocate for transparent data from BB - I want good data. But you can't make arguments with data that isn't 100% accurate (or super close to it)...

I never asked you to use it. If your a software engineer you wouldn't need to rely on brandbucket for data.

•••
I never asked you to use it. If your a software engineer you wouldn't need to rely on brandbucket for data.
Your comment is amazing. You obviously are new to the field if in it at all. If people could get all the data they wanted via scraping, we wouldn't need to buy it from data warehouses.... amazing your ignorance on something you claim to know...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back