IT.COM

Brandbucket Challenges Dnbolt For Reporting Sales Data

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dnbolt

Top Member
Impact
Hi guys today I made a final decision to join namepros. I don’t normally participate in forums discussions etc. I have BIG concern that I want to share with you and get your opinions.

Little bit about myself: l am a student, I recently developed interest in data, I am a part time domain investor, I spend most of my time creating unbeatable algorithms and finally as you may know I publish BB sales at dnbolt

About a year I started developing interests in brandabale domain. I needed to get some insight about sold domains from brandbucket but quickly learnt brandbucket doesn’t publish them. But fortunately enough we all know that in the domain name world most data is obtainable, right?

To keep things short, I have been getting emails from brandbucket asking me if I can prevent making the data crawlable by search engine technically asking me to make the content available to just myself.
Months later I got a forwarded email asking if I can obfuscate the sold domains I have listed to prevent google indexing the content. But to be honest if google index my content on search how is that my problem?
Surprisingly they have even gone the extent of contacting my hosting provider. I was a little bit upset that they contacted my hosting as I was only being helpful providing data to those who needed it and instead of getting a pat on the back for my hard work, I got accused and an invisible spanking.

My question to you is.

1. How can a marketplace try to claim ownership or exclusive rights to a domain that has been SOLD and no longer listed on the site for sale?
2. How can a SOLD DOMAIN still belong to the previous marketplace in any way, shape or or form?
3. Why can’t they be happy that I am helping them to publish sales data for free?
4. Does BB have any right to challenge Dnbolt for the kind service he renders?
5. Do I have to listen to BB and stop proving sales data to the public?

I would like to hear your thoughts thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As a BrandBucket seller, I am ever grateful for the work DNBolt.com has done to aggregate sales data.

If BrandBucket escalates their invisible spanking to legal action against you, I will delete my BrandBucket account and make it my mission to promote other marketplaces. BrandBucket is a great company, and I doubt they'd take it that far. I'm just saying if it ever comes to legal action, this will be my response.

#RememberWEEV

[PS] Welcome to NamePros!

•••
Okay thanks, for your response and motivation. Would like to know what others thinks.
Thanks for welcoming me to namepros

•••
I think showcasing the data for domain insiders is one thing and a helpful service, but why allow it to be indexed?

•••
I think showcasing the data for domain insiders is one thing and a helpful service, but why allow it to be indexed?

1. is it illegal to allow search engines index a page?
2. In the long run, it becomes diffuclt to keep telling which page to index or not.
3. This data I pubish are even from search egines, all I do is just compile them

•••
but why allow it to be indexed?

On NamePros, we usually don't post full domains in sales threads. This is to protect the buyers investment so "ExampleDomain.com" isn't searchable with a price tag attached.

Were the sold domains searchable on your site? Some of these brandable are made up words and have never been registered before. Many times, these domains have 0 backlinks. It doesn't take much for this new word to be cached and searchable when attaching the .com to it.

•••
I just searched a domain I sold on BrandBucket.

"SoldDomain.com" 56 Google search results
"SoldDomain.com" + dnbolt 1 Google search result with an inaccurate sale price next to it

Perhaps a concern?

To the point of the inaccuracy. While the domain may have one time been listed for your reported number, the domain was lowered, and the sale price was actually some 30% less then what was reported.

•••
I just searched a domain I sold on BrandBucket.

"SoldDomain.com" 56 Google search results
"SoldDomain.com" + dnbolt 1 Google search result with an inaccurate sale price next to it

Perhaps a concern?

To the point of the inaccuracy. While the domain may have one time been listed for your reported number, the domain was lowered, and the sale price was actually some 30% less then what was reported.

So what's your best advice to me?

•••
Without putting much thought into it, I'd suggest posting the sold domains as a .JPG so text is not searchable. We can extract the data we need via your spreadsheet download.

This is how I post domains on NamePros so it doesn't get cached:

ExampleDomain.com > E/x/a/m/p/l/e/D/o/m/a/i/n.com > E/x/a/m/p/l/e/D/o/m/a/i/n.com

The final product looks like it's only spaced out. However, if you copy and paste the spaced version, you'll notice the spaces are slashes in white font.

There's plenty of tricks to accomplish this. The main point being, sales numbers shouldn't be searchable with the full domain.

•••
That’s a good idea but this will cause problems to my database. And sometimes I need to analyse data further to understand popular keywords letters etc. Like in my database from past 2000+ sales record it shows the letter "oo" in brandable domain is quite desirable. Basically if I go with your approach it will mess my system up.

•••
That’s a good idea but this will cause problems to my database. And sometimes I need to analyse data further to understand popular keywords letters etc. Like in my database from past 2000+ sales record it shows the letter "oo" in brandable domain is quite desirable. Basically if I go with your approach it will mess my system up.

I don't think the issue is posting which domains sell. It's the sale amount that might be the concern. Buyers tend to like to keep this data confidential.

We, BrandBucket Sellers, the director @michaeljkrell included, post our sold domains on the NamePros BrandBucket experience thread. To protect our buyers, it is a followed common courtesy to not include the exact sale price with the domain.

•••
Okay I see your point @Grilled Jesus . Your the only person proving useful information, I guess that's why namepros classifed you as a VIP Member. :-,

•••
•••
•••
Welcome to the forum!

From one hand, there is an issue of open information.

From another hand, there is REALLY an issue of the investors wanting to protect their investments. And this can be understood and respected, IMO. And clearly BB stands on their side.

What i can advise you in this matter, is to use images instead of text on your site. Just as i'm doing in my shop http://domainsrforever.com/ . Trust me, i would have maybe ten times less buyers if i was listing the domains in a way that Google could index them. And this is for cheap SEO domains; what to say about premium domain names for high bucks.

I can send you my image script for free for using exclusively for your site if you want. Or it's 5 minutes work for any skillful coder.

•••
Welcome to the forum!

From one hand, there is an issue of open information.

From another hand, there is REALLY an issue of the investors wanting to protect their investments. And this can be understood and respected, IMO. And clearly BB stands on their side.

What i can advise you in this matter, is to use images instead of text on your site. Just as i'm doing in my shop http://domainsrforever.com/ . Trust me, i would have maybe ten times less buyers if i was listing the domains in a way that Google could index them. And this is for cheap SEO domains; what to say about premium domain names for high bucks.

I can send you my image script for free for using exclusively for your site if you want. Or it's 5 minutes work for any skillful coder.

I like your site golan, simple yet pretty straightforward ... you even include Ahrefs ranks :)

•••
@golan

1. what if I made an option to allow domainers have thier domains removed?
2. Yes please let me have a look at that script, it could be helpful if I decided to use that approach.
3. Thanks for sharing your link, now I know where to buy seo domains at good cost :)

•••
Basically if I go with your approach it will mess my system up.
The obfuscation can happen when you render the page, and never touch your Database...

On the broader issue - I expect that they could claim copyright infringement since the pricing data is only available on their website. TBH they've only asked that you not make this data available via search engines, which isn't really a big deal IMO. Why not simply comply? That balances out their need for privacy with investors need for transparency.

I guarantee you if you started publishing the cost prices of the names sold sellers would be very quick to ask you to remove that data...

Just my $0.02 :)

•••
The obfuscation can happen when you render the page, and never touch your Database...

On the broader issue - I expect that they could claim copyright infringement since the pricing data is only available on their website. TBH they've only asked that you not make this data available via search engines, which isn't really a big deal IMO. Why not simply comply? That balances out their need for privacy with investors need for transparency.

I guarantee you if you started publishing the cost prices of the names sold sellers would be very quick to ask you to remove that data...

Wait how can someone claim copyright infringemnts on prices? How is that possible. There are certain things you can't copyright.

•••

Also what exactly you mean by //Just my $0.02

•••
Wait how can someone claim copyright infringemnts on prices? How is that possible. There are certain things you can't copyright.
If someone can show that that data is proprietary then I think they could have a case to have the data removed via a simple DMCA action. Since pricing is only found on their site it wouldn't surprise me at all if a DMCA made to your host resulted in that data being removed. I could be wrong, but I suspect you're on shakier ground than they are.

FWIW I'm not advocating such a motion from BB, but just trying to give a balance to the issue at hand.

So what is your problem with hiding the data from search engines?

•••
Also what exactly you mean by //Just my $0.02
It's just a saying. Basically means "this is only my opinion, and nothing more".

•••
If someone can show that that data is proprietary then I think they could have a case to have the data removed via a simple DMCA action. Since pricing is only found on their site it wouldn't surprise me at all if a DMCA made to your host resulted in that data being removed. I could be wrong, but I suspect you're on shakier ground than they are.

FWIW I'm not advocating such a motion from BB, but just trying to give a balance to the issue at hand.

Well good luck with them finding my server this time. The best things is for them to ignore my site. Becuase the more you tell a baby to not do something there more the baby would like try to those things

•••
My $0.02 stand for /my 2 cents or my opinion/ :)

•••

I am only exhibiting freedom of speech. BB should not have gone to report me. They should have given me more chance to work with them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back