NameSilo

tips Bought for $70, sold for $20,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I just came across this article on OnlineDomains where the author has published the details about his recent domain deal.
The domain name is AppliedGeography.com which he acquired for $70 in a drop catch backorder. The deal recently concluded at $20,000.
The author has mentioned about how he negotiated the deal successfully.
Beginners may take tips from here on how to negotiate successfully and also, how to manage a large portfolio of domains, since it comes with a long list of renewals.

This is a good case study to learn from!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for sharing the knowledge .

•••
The link is broken. can you post again?

•••
Thanks for the share. Story looks great but would someone have done that? Thats the question. Personally for a $ 70 domain when some one offered so high I doubt a regular person would even have though over 1000 range given the low search volume and long domain name! But like I always say - price of a domain is only to the extent the buyer is willing to pay for it or its only worth the reg fee you paid for!

•••
I am assuming he done his homework on the buyers at the time of negotiations. He clearly knew who he was dealing with. Not admitting to that, makes a great read for a blog, and has us guessing "now how did he pull that off"?

No.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have gone through the article but not so much impressed with the negotiation as there was nothing to learn from the deal. Its just a good luck of the seller that the buyer was so much interested in buying the domain name that has CPC $0.5, no impressive exact matches traffic and not so old so the seller was lucky that the buyer kept offering more than 10 times. wow that's unbelievable and rare.
Normally, the buyer doesn't stretch so long and after 2, 4 offers either the deal is done or the buyer doesn't come back.
Any how I don't see any professional tactic or stuff that can be applied to close the deal like he did. it was totally buyers interest and of course he was able to pay such a big price.
Finally, Congratulations to the sellers for having a big piece of income.

•••
In the same way a great poker player can read a bet in online poker (without any physical clues), a great negotiator can read someone's bid and extract information from that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back