NameSilo

BNK.COM and RIC.COM STOLEN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
BNK and RIC are confirmed stolen!

BNK.com: I am working with the rightful owners. BNK.com is listed at 4.cn only at this time, I have contacted them about this issue.

RIC.com: I was alerted to a recent whois change and its oddity, I spoke with the realtor of the last known good address, she gave me numbers for lawyer and family. Just spoke with family and the real owner or I should say real Richard is in a nursing home and the name was never for sale. The new info in whois is no good and the theif is using an @activist.com email. The family was unaware of this and getting back to me shortly.

I will update as I can, perhaps mod or admin can make this a sticky until resolved, thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
UPDATE:

BNK.com was recovered and now owned by me.

RIC.com the work on recovery continues, still stolen!

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Thank you for providing updates. I appreciate it.

Over the last year or two, it's become exceedingly risky as an investor to purchase a domain for five or six figures, because it's tough to determine if it was recently stolen, especially if the domain has a long history of WHOIS privacy.

Luckily, I have never had a valuable .com domain stolen (*knock on wood*), but I am curious how the rightful registrants are able to recover their domains once they're moved to another registrar like eName? Is the only way to recover them to get a judge to mandate that Verisign get involved?

Does @Acroplex or anyone else know?

•••
Each case is unique and while a theft can occur in the same manner the domains use, dns, email, whois info being good/bad etc all play factors so there is no hard and fast answer.

•••
RIC.com is now recovered as well!

Very happy for both families, ric.com is very special to the owner so extra happy for him.

•••
This topic grabbed my curiousity. I have a huge inventory of domains (no showing off) and because of that once in a while check some domains I thought I owned but then find out they weren't mine? then I check the who.is on when they were registered and surprisingly enough I'd find the domains registered around the same date I thought I had registered this domain.

Could "someone" or a registrar cherry pick and steal your domain and make it look like you never owned it? and then maybe fudge the whois history? and change the date it was registered?

The method I use is create domains on a specific hot topic and just just "go nutz" so when I go back and check the domains I thought I owned some are taken and not buy me. since I go down the line of specific "go to keywords" it makes me suspicious when the usual "go to keywords" weren't taken by me plus they were registered around the same date the other domains "batch" they would have been part of.

Do you think when you register domains that registrar have a program that "cherry picks" specific domains before you can register them then just shows you a "this domain is unavailable" and then steal it?

Because I remember I wanted to registered number domains. My domain registrar says it was unavailable then I checked on Name.com and it was available. What's that all about?

Can anyone chime in on this? Thanks.

•••
Do you think when you register domains that registrar have a program that "cherry picks" specific domains before you can register them then just shows you a "this domain is unavailable" and then steal it?

If you're using a credible registrar, then it's just a coincidence when it happens.

Although, front running is nothing new to the domain industry, and Network Solutions was found guilty of it back in the day:
Solution: Checking domain name availability without using a website

I use Dynadot to check domain availability, because I trust them.

•••
Good job on the quick recoveries and acquisition!

•••
Thanks for the info, JP.
Any hints at how or who stole them?

Peace,
Cy

•••
Great work, JP. Just found this thread. :D

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back