IT.COM

discuss .biz paradox?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DzAH

Established Member
Impact
Is it really a paradox??

.biz have been for "a long time", its intended for businesses (makes sense..) and huge amounts of domains are registered. Now what I find a bit strange is that I hardly EVER find someone in use.. I mean, I clearly see usage of other domains, but WHERE ARE THOSE .biz's ??? paradox?

some possible explanations might be.. in general:
they are not really used..
they are used by small (and maybe "offline") businesses that I hardly ever stumble upon..
they are used by non-english speaking world (maybe eastern europe)

what do you think? what do you know? :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
An analogy (reaching back a bit) is VHS vs Betamax. These were two different formats of analog video and they were incompatible. Although everyone felt Betamax was superior, VHS won out in the end. Now .biz may be superior (in theory) to .net for businesses (can't think of any other gtld's it could compete with) that does not mean it will catch on and win, and it has not.

•••
but what I find so strange (which might seem like a paradox for me) is that I hardly see any that uses .biz, but still there are so many registered. For example I think I see far more .io usage, even though .biz way way way more registered.

To take it to the extreme, I could say, and almost be right... I NEVER see a site that uses .biz

•••
I saw a lot... what's next???

•••
•••
I still sold my domains .biz with good value.

•••
I think the same is true of .info domains. Hardly ever see them in use.

The sunrise period for .biz and .info domains came about at a time of heavy, heavy domain speculation, so I imagine most of the best .biz domains are held by investors not end users or "real" businesses.

•••
Yes, minimal demand on .info/.biz in the USA... that's why you don't see them...

For ex. in Germany - .info is popular and in demand...

•••
In my opinion, the word biz comes off as slangy and some dictionaries define it as informal, used primarily in the music industry, "I'm in The biz, are you in the biz?" and is in the bottom 40% of word usage. So in a word, biz is not very popular in main stream lingo and comes off as lazy or too informal to be acceptable by real world businesses for their main website as there are other, much better choices!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back