Domain Empire

.biz Registering .biz for personal use?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I know it says .biz's are for "bona fide business or commercial use" only [quote wikipedia, but I'm sure they got it from some official source], but I want to set one up for personal use.

So, I'm wondering, if in these three situations, I can ever be forced to give up my .biz domain:

a) I do not break any name copyright laws

or

b) A company creates their trademarked/registered/copyrighted domain after I purchase the domain.

or

c) I only break content copyright laws with my site content, not name TM/R/C infringement.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know it says .biz's are for "bona fide business or commercial use" only [quote wikipedia, but I'm sure they got it from some official source], but I want to set one up for personal use.

So, I'm wondering, if in these two situations, I can ever be forced to give up my .biz domain:

a) I do not break any name copyright laws

or

b) I only break content copyright laws with my site content, not name TM/C infringement.

Thank you.

.biz domains are open to registration by anyone. They are not restricted to just businesses.

•••
Here is the specific part of an article from the first page of google regarding .biz name registration.

1. Restrictions
Domain registrations under the Top Level Domain .biz are restricted to (intended) use for business or commercial purposes. This means that the domain as such can only be used: for the exchange of goods, services or property of any kind and in ordinary course of trade or business or to simplify the above activities. The same applies if the .biz domain is used to make possible access to content, software, graphics or other materials using the Internet addressing system (DNS- Domain Name System). Registration of a .biz domain merely for the purpose of selling, trading or leasing it for compensation is not a permissible use. You can see details of the restrictions at .biz domain registry, web address registration - NeuLevel.biz
The customer warrants that the .biz domain will be used in compliance with the above regulations and that he or she is entitled to register it. The customer also warrants that the .biz domain is demonstrably in connection with a (proposed) commercial use at the time of registration.

I am confused as to what the bolded text means in relation to the underlined text above. It seems that answers my question, but it is not quite clear in the article.

Please could someone simplify its explanation into understandable terms.

Source: Realtime Register

•••
These restrictions have never been enforced. Likewise, .name is restricted to personal (non-business) use, in theory. In practice many of the registered .biz are not very business-like but the registries don't have a problem with that. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they started enforcing these rules.

•••
While one of the main raps against the ".BIZ" is its inherent lack of professionalism (slang short for "Business") / it's not very business-like (verus, say, a preferred .COM alternative) ... it would be perfectly acceptable for, informally, personal use IMHO. :music:

Best of Luck.
-Jeff B-)

•••
I'd go with what others have said. They're not enforcing their own rules and probably never will. There are many .biz names used for personal use. If you are worried about losing your domain because of this, then you shouldn't. If you are that worried, then maybe you should use another extension instead.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back