IT.COM

discuss BIN or make offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi Pros,

I have a question. I receive now and then sales leads through Afternic with the request to set a BIN. Most of my names are listed under make an offer. Why doesn't Afternic immediately shows the offer or what is otherwise the meaning of a sales lead.

What do you recommend? Can a reasonable BIN scare people away without a counter offer or does "make an offer" it harder to pull the client onboard.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All my domains at Afternic are Make Offer too. I've asked this of the Afternic Brokers too. The answer is always the same. It was a price request from one of their network partners. Usually GoDaddy of course. But it can be from any one of their network partners. By which I interpret that they don''t know who the inquiry has come from.

I usually presume this is a solid intent to buy, and usually quote a BIN on the high side. But nothing ever seems to go any further. I presume these are usually because they inquiry has come from a tire kicker.

•••
All my domains at Afternic are Make Offer too. I've asked this of the Afternic Brokers too. The answer is always the same. It was a price request from one of their network partners. Usually GoDaddy of course. But it can be from any one of their network partners. By which I interpret that they don''t know who the inquiry has come from.

I usually presume this is a solid intent to buy, and usually quote a BIN on the high side. But nothing ever seems to go any further. I presume these are usually because they inquiry has come from a tire kicker.

Exactly the same feelings Stub! A lead normally comes through a startingbid so they should show it to us in case we directly accept it before we have to make unnessecary changes in our portfolio.

•••
Exactly the same feelings Stub! A lead normally comes through a startingbid so they should show it to us in case we directly accept it before we have to make unnessecary changes in our portfolio.

I also set the minimum bid at $1000. But I suspect the service displaying the domain doesn't know about my minimum bid, and I suspect these offers are way below that level. And would be rejected if the inquiry was from Afternic.

•••
Hi Pros,

I have a question. I receive now and then sales leads through Afternic with the request to set a BIN. Most of my names are listed under make an offer. Why doesn't Afternic immediately shows the offer or what is otherwise the meaning of a sales lead.

What do you recommend? Can a reasonable BIN scare people away without a counter offer or does "make an offer" it harder to pull the client onboard.

Those "price requests" in most cases are actual offers on your domain name. I always call afternic to find out how much the offer was for prior to setting the BN price.

•••
Those "price requests" in most cases are actual offers on your domain name. I always call afternic to find out how much the offer was for prior to setting the BN price.
I to have got same. Thanks for the info I will call directly from now on. If they know what the bid was why don't they just state it?

•••
I do bin in the marketplaces and make offer on my landers.

•••
If they know what the bid was why don't they just state it?
That one I am not sure about. I only found out couple months ago, accidentally. They should also be able to give you the offer amounts for any "price requests" you have received in the past.

•••
Yeah they aren't really fast with any of their contact service nor mail answering. Still weird you have to call. Is it to convice you directly or to negotiate? For their commission they can better send a note with the made offer instead us calling them for lowballers

•••
Yeah they aren't really fast with any of their contact service nor mail answering. Still weird you have to call. Is it to convice you directly or to negotiate? For their commission they can better send a note with the made offer instead us calling them for lowballers

I never had any issues with calling them. In most cases they answer in under 5 minutes. If you set the minimum offer to a reasonable figure than you will not receive any lowball offers.
Is it to convice you directly or to negotiate?
I only call to find out how much the offer was for. In some cases if someone is offering you more than the minimum you have set, it should tell you a little something about their "want" level, which you can keep in mind when you are setting the BN price.

Hope this helps!

•••
I do bin in the marketplaces and make offer on my landers.

Just a friendly warning about having a BIN on a domain in more than 1 marketplace. If you get binned on the same domain on the same day, you won't be able to sell it to two buyers, and you will almost certainly fall foul of the 1 marketplace's ToS. Who could ban you from their platform. These are quite rare circumstances. But you should bear this thought in mind.

•••
Yeah i know Stub.

I called Afternic and they put me 10 minutes on hold. It was a lowball offer but there was one indeed. Weird that they don't show it immediately as that could save me almost 20 bucks of the phonecall

•••
Just a friendly warning about having a BIN on a domain in more than 1 marketplace. If you get binned on the same domain on the same day, you won't be able to sell it to two buyers, and you will almost certainly fall foul of the 1 marketplace's ToS. Who could ban you from their platform. These are quite rare circumstances. But you should bear this thought in mind.

Bern there with sedo and they want blood thwy dont let you slide... but i have to take the good with the bad this method has done well for me so far.

•••
If you say make an offer let them send the incoming offer. Up to us to decide and then counter privately without immediately changing it on the platform which might scare new buyers that sees the set BIN.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back