IT.COM

Biggest Domain Sale of the Year & Major .Info Developments at DNJournal.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The new weekly domain sales report is out at Domain Name Journal and it was one killer week to report on! We had the biggest reported sale of the year to date with a domain going for $150,000. We also saw the biggest overall sales week since we started these reports last fall. 9 of the Top 10 domains sold for five figures or more!

It was a big week for .info too with another 5 figure sale and word that a major investor has taken ALL of the remaining 3-letter .infos that had not been registered. .Info thus joins com, net & org as extensions where all of the 17,576 possible 3-letter combinations are gone!

You can find out all of the details through this link:

Domain Name Journal Weekly Sales Report

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your compilations of sales are great. keep up the good work.

•••
thanks for keeping us up to speed on things

•••
Always a worthy read! Thankyou Duke!

•••
Have to agree with the others Duke, excellent site and great reports, thanks.

•••
Thanks, Duke. But what does that guy want with the remaining three-letter .info combinations?

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
Thanks, Duke. But what does that guy want with the remaining three-letter .info combinations?

Well, considering that 3-letter .infos have already sold for as high as $10,000 (even though the general public doesn't even know they exist yet) I will leave that one for you to figure out. :)

It's true that the remaining combinations were less desirable letters from an English language standpoint - however Elequa has always taken a global view of the domain business. Internet use is exploding in China where letters like Q and Z are extremely common (just the opposite of the situation in English). If I had the money I would have done exactly what he did some time ago.

3-letter combos have always been extremely desirable - which is why they sold out in com, net and org long ago. The people who registered those when they had the chance have been richly rewarded for their foresight.

•••
I picked up a hundred or so 3 letter infos myself while they are still available. I'm not interested in letter/number combos, but there will always be a want for pure 3-letter domains in gTLD's. I would guess the .biz pure 3-letters will soon be all taken as well, now that .info is pretty much gone. Actually, they may even be better in 3-letter than info is in many cases.

Some people will go out of their way to name a new business or site based on an available 3-letter domain. It makes them look more unique and is nice to have the short email address. Almost regardless of the 3 letters, there is someone, somewhere in the world that has those initials. Even if it's an odd combo.

•••
•••
Originally posted by Duke
The 3-letter .biz have all been taken (the infos too):

http://www.dnjournal.com/lowdown.htm

I guess I read too quickly thinking that was the same announcement last week that the .infos were all taken. Makes me feel even better about the hundred or so I picked up over the last couple months. Now i'll have to take another look at my pricing.

•••
And now almost all the three-letter .us names too? Yikes.

•••
wow 3 character / letter tlds are nearly all sold out :)

•••
There are dozens of 3 letter info/biz drops each week, but the recent demand and change in availablility seems to be bringing the competition to get them up as well. I was getting lots of them on namewinner for $8.75 bids two months ago, now they go for $30, $40, to $60 and some are now being reserved on pool.com with the rise in price.

Oh, well. Time to quit buying and start selling.

•••
Originally posted by AdoptableDomains
Oh, well. Time to quit buying and start selling.

Right. And then you can go back to buying again! :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back