NameSilo

discuss Beyond Dubai: Reem Island, Abu Dhabi. Don't Miss Out!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am going to tell you about a gigantic project going on in Abu Dhabi called Reem Island. This project is so huge 3 of the largest developers in the UAE(Tamouh, Sorouh, and Reem Investments) are building it. It is even bigger than The Pearl Qatar project that appeared in this forum last June.

- Reem Island is a combined residential, commercial and business project being built on a natural island off the coast of Abu Dhabi City and will be directly connected to Abu Dhabi City by a number of bridges. The location of Reem Island is only 20 minutes from Abu Dhabi International Airport.

- Reem Island will accomodate and estimated 280,000 residents. Some estimates go as high as 350,000!!

- Reem Island will contain Numerous hotels, resorts, beaches, spas, shopping malls, restaurants, medical clinics, many, many businesses, a 27 hole golf course, etc., etc.

- Just one of the business projects on Reem Island is Addax Port. By itself Addax is a massive port project which will contain 5 huge towers: an office tower and 4 other residential towers. And this is just one "small" part of Reem Island.

- Of course there will be tons of luxury condos and homes and villas, etc. to accomodate the huge number of residents of Reem Island.

- Reem Island will eventually be the "center" of Abu Dhabi which is the Richest of all the Emirates. Even richer than Dubai.

- Do a google search to get lots more info on Reem Island and here are a few sites to get you started: ReemIsland.com, AddaxPort.com, ReemInvestments.com. There are many more.

- There are still many good names left. I picked up:

ReemIslandProperties.com

ReemProperties.com

...but there are still many more left. As a domainer if you miss out on Reem Island you will never forgive yourself. Good luck and I hope this post was of help to you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the lesson about Warren Buffet and Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal. I think most people know what holding on to stocks or domains means. The thing is, is it a viable business or not. Warren Buffet for example had alot of Wal Mart stocks. Wal Mart was not exactly a high risk stock now was it. What were doing here with the Dubai/UAE names seems like very high risk stocks. I mean you keep on saying it's gonna work this and that.

1) You did not until now really give any advice as to how someone can truly proceed to sell a domain to UAE people.

2) You did not really mention that you had much success selling Dubai/UAE domains yourself.

In the past you had told me my Dubai/UAE portfolio is prob worth around 100 000$. I'm sure you would not even offer 25 000$ for it.

At least give us something else besides just that you have a blog. Your blog is very informative. Enlighten us with maybe some examples where UAE investors approached you and you were able to sell some DUBAI/UAE domains to them (Not necessarily mentioning the exact domains).

It's all nice to give hope to people, but so far whoever reads this thread would think it's a sure bet. It's not!! Maybe out of 1 000 domains, there's 15-20 that would maybe, just maybe be sold for decent amounts. From the looks of the talks here it's like everyone would be hitting the jackpot if they keep on registering and holding on to the domains.

If someone had success so far of selling DUBAI/UAE domains for decent amounts, please list them. That would be a concrete example which perhaps will be more of a proof instead of just wishful thinking. I would lovee to be wrong about this. Furthermore I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks
I got reemresidentialproperties and reempropertysales (.com)

itb

•••
i completely agree with you pokainc. Any tangible proof of the success of uae/dubai related domain sale would be really helpful.

It's easy to sell hope to people, that's why we have tons of "make money online","weightloss secrets" and other craps. People are desperately searching for things online with the hope for easy and faster solution.

Same thing goes for domain name investing. People will register uae/dubai related names left,right & center with the hope of making couple of hundred thousand to million dollars.

•••
I mean I had once a mid xxx$ sale. But that's about it. Almost no other serious inquiries which finalized. And I do own quite a few of high quality.

•••
pokainc said:
If someone had success so far of selling DUBAI/UAE domains for decent amounts, please list them. That would be a concrete example which perhaps will be more of a proof instead of just wishful thinking. I would lovee to be wrong about this. Furthermore I hope I'm wrong.

So far, from what I have seen - There has not been many decent dubai related sales reported, check namebio & dnsalesprice and you will only see a total of 21 names that were reported. The highest one was DubaiProperty.com for $20,000 which was a drop at snapnames.

There has been about 6 or so that I've heard of but are not listed anywhere (they were not mine), even so - 20K is the highest I have heard about. (next highest was Dubai.net 18k which has since had 65 offers and going by sedo gets around 1,700 visitors per month)

Back in 25 December 2005 there were 1123 dubai names listed for sale on sedo.

Today there are at least 5238 Dubai names listed for sale at sedo D-:

If anyone knows of more sales I'd love to hear about them too :) I have'nt sold any of mine yet but I've had a fair few offers....early days IMO !

•••
pokainc said:
I mean I had once a mid xxx$ sale. But that's about it. Almost no other serious inquiries which finalized. And I do own quite a few of high quality.

Stop complaining Pokainc.....You're a Movie Star!!

•••
I'm not complaining. Good I'm a movie star, wouldn't mind being one ahaha.

I just don't like when things are too sugar-coated with no substantial evidence.

Does that make me a detective also ?

You never answer the questions I ever ask you on the thread. You always bypass them. Then you make a trivial comment like "you're a movie star".

Sorry, am I ruining your overly optimistic illusion you have so rosily painted with this thread?

Stay true to reality. If my neighbour John is building a house, doesn't mean if I register MyNeighbourJohnsHouse.com he's gonna buy the domain lolll

Even though this thread is interesting nevertheless, I'm sure people registered low quality random domains thinking they're doing something smart

Last edited:
•••
pokainc said:
Sorry, am I ruining your overly optimistic illusion you have so rosily painted with this thread?

Stay true to reality. If my neighbour John is building a house, doesn't mean if I register MyNeighbourJohnsHouse.com he's gonna buy the domain lolll

Even though this thread is interesting nevertheless, I'm sure people registered low quality random domains thinking they're doing something smart

It is no illusion that billions, even trillions of dollars are being spent in the UAE on developing mega projects. Will they need a web presence one day? Are they going to use extensions like .com, .net, etc...? Will they ever buy my domain names??? Who knows? Nobody ever said this is a 100% guaranteed investment. If you have invested in domains in the UAE, I suggest developing one or two of them, get involved in the boom instead of waiting for it to suddenly pay you off. Patience will prove to be key in this niche, as mentioned everywhere in this thread: these projects will not be completed for some years to come, and it will take a while for the world to recognize the UAE as one of the hottest tourist destinations. Just 2 more of my cents..

Last edited:
•••
first of all I am involved in developing some of them. I have my website which is number 1 or 2 when you search 1)dubai domain(s), 2) dubai domain name(s) on yahoo and google. I think that was a mini development which you are talking about. There's others, they're just not finished yet. And it takes money for the other ones planned, and I'm not sitting on a load of cash. Second of all, stating the obvious does not teach anything new. I know there's a billions being poured in Dubai/UAE. I was one of the first people who started posting alot of DUBAI domains on Namepros and DNF. I didn't say it's not an investment worth making. I have 120 - 130 of em myself. What I disagree with is that throughout the thread, it gives the wrong impression to people. People who register random Dubai domains and then someone writes "good ones"! I mean you have to be very selective as to what you register, but someone reading this blog, it's like "hey, anything i touch will turn into gold because Dubai/UAE is developing". I'm all for it people registering Dubai/UAE domains, and it's prob a good business, but not random ones that people are almost made to believe that it's a good investment.

•••
pokainc said:
first of all I am involved in developing some of them. I have my website which is number 1 or 2 when you search 1)dubai domain(s), 2) dubai domain name(s) on yahoo and google. I think that was a mini development which you are talking about. There's others, they're just not finished yet. And it takes money for the other ones planned, and I'm not sitting on a load of cash. Second of all, stating the obvious does not teach anything new. I know there's a billions being poured in Dubai/UAE. I was one of the first people who started posting alot of DUBAI domains on Namepros and DNF. I didn't say it's not an investment worth making. I have 120 - 130 of em myself. What I disagree with is that throughout the thread, it gives the wrong impression to people. People who register random Dubai domains and then someone writes "good ones"! I mean you have to be very selective as to what you register, but someone reading this blog, it's like "hey, anything i touch will turn into gold because Dubai/UAE is developing". I'm all for it people registering Dubai/UAE domains, and it's prob a good business, but not random ones that people are almost made to believe that it's a good investment.

Yes people do have to be selective when registering domain names. That is an obvious statement. Sure, some people may have registered marginal domain names after reading this thread.. It's not any other members fault for providing the information, and an optimistic outlook. If someone regs a UAE/Dubai domain name and someone else thinks it is a good one why shouldn't they say "good one"? Nobody ever said: "if you register a UAE domain name your gonna get rich!" Poka, why are you so worried about others registrations and portfolios? I'm sure some will appreciate your (and others) concern about registering mediocre domains. Thank you for bringing up the issue and hopefully saving some people $. Good luck on your developments and sales.

•••
•••
If you plan on visiting the UAE/Dubai you really have to read these 3 links - sounds scary D-:

BBC News, UK - 8 Feb 2008

Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

"Tracy Wilkinson was held in custody for eight weeks before customs officers accepted the codeine she was carrying had been prescribed by her doctor for back pains."

"Meanwhile, a Swiss national is serving a four-year jail term after three poppy seeds from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow airport were found on his clothes. "

"A 43-year-old Middlesex man Keith Andrew Brown, has been sentenced to 4 years’ imprisonment after 0.003g of cannabis was found in the tread of his shoe by customs officials in Dubai during transit from Ethiopia to London last September. This amount would not be visible to the naked eye, and weighs less than a single grain of sugar."

"In Dubai, traces of drugs found in a traveller's urine up to a week after arrival are regarded as "possession"."

etc etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234786.stm

Fair Trials International - more info here.

http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php...o_all_travellers_to_uae_after_briton_impriso/

HUGE List of controlled pharmaceutical substances

http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php..._controlled_pharmaceutical_substances_in_uae/

....sounds like it really pays to know before you go :tu:

If you have any friends or family visiting there please pass this usefull info/links on to them to be on the safe side :) I can only imagine how hard it must be to get locked up for 4 years in a foreign jail for having a few painkillers.... or a sandwich !

Last edited:
•••
gazzip said:
If you plan on visiting the UAE/Dubai you really have to read these 3 links - sounds scary D-:

BBC News, UK - 8 Feb 2008

Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

"Tracy Wilkinson was held in custody for eight weeks before customs officers accepted the codeine she was carrying had been prescribed by her doctor for back pains."

"Meanwhile, a Swiss national is serving a four-year jail term after three poppy seeds from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow airport were found on his clothes. "

"A 43-year-old Middlesex man Keith Andrew Brown, has been sentenced to 4 years’ imprisonment after 0.003g of cannabis was found in the tread of his shoe by customs officials in Dubai during transit from Ethiopia to London last September. This amount would not be visible to the naked eye, and weighs less than a single grain of sugar."

"In Dubai, traces of drugs found in a traveller's urine up to a week after arrival are regarded as "possession"."

etc etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234786.stm

Fair Trials International - more info here.

http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php...o_all_travellers_to_uae_after_briton_impriso/

HUGE List of controlled pharmaceutical substances

http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php..._controlled_pharmaceutical_substances_in_uae/

....sounds like it really pays to know before you go :tu:

If you have any friends or family visiting there please pass this usefull info/links on to them to be on the safe side :) I can only imagine how hard it must be to get locked up for 4 years in a foreign jail for having a few painkillers.... or a sandwich !

4 years in jail for eating 3 poppy seed :S.

•••
•••
If a person has contacts with Dubai business people, why not sell them the best names. I guess they are not buying much yet?.

Oh well my dubaidollar.com is making over $1.00 clicks in Fab.

For a point man to get my Dubai names sold such as the dubaidollar.com or my poshdubai.com I can throw in at least 15 to 20 percent commission.

dubaidollar.com

•••
If someone is actually willing to broker, contact me also

•••
Gamsha Bay, Egypt

There is a gigantic Mega Project being built in Egypt called Gamsha Bay. This will be the biggest Egyptian Mega Project ever and one of the biggest leisure Mega Projects in the world. It is being developed by DAMAC of Dubai. For more details on Gamsha Bay go to my blog:

http://uaemegaprojects.blogspot.com

I just did a new post on Gamsha Bay, and this project is going to be really BIG. Good domain opportunities still exist.

•••
Entaj Industrial Valley

There is a new Mega Project going up in Saudi Arabia called Entaj Industrial Valley. It is the Middle East's answer to Silicon Valley. Entaj is going to be BIG and there are still some domaining opportunities left. You can read the details on Entaj in my blog, I just did a new post on it:

•••
$$Domainer said:
There is a new Mega Project going up in Saudi Arabia called Entaj Industrial Valley. It is the Middle East's answer to Silicon Valley. Entaj is going to be BIG and there are still some domaining opportunities left. You can read the details on Entaj in my blog, I just did a new post on it:

Thanks for the entaj post, I regged entajproperty(ies).com, entajrealestate.com, entajgolf.com, entajcity.com and antaj.info. Have added rep and sent all my NP$ to you :)

•••
johntv said:
Thanks for the entaj post, I regged entajproperty(ies).com, entajrealestate.com, entajgolf.com, entajcity.com and antaj.info. Have added rep and sent all my NP$ to you :)

Thanks John. Entaj is a great Mega Project-- the Silicon Valley of the Gulf! Saudi, like the UAE, is putting an incredible amount of money into Mega Projects. The whole Gulf Region will eventually be the center of everything!

•••
$$Domainer said:
The whole Gulf Region will eventually be the center of everything!

Their marketing departmets will sell it as it is anyway.

•••
Smith said:
Their marketing departmets will sell it as it is anyway.

Yeah! I can't wait to see when they really get serious about advertising, as soon as more of the major Mega Projects (like Dubailand) are more developed. The Gulf will throw so much cash into their ad campaigns it will astound the world! They will pull all the plugs out with their advertising....or - more correctly - MEGA ADVERTISING!

•••
$$Domainer said:
Yeah! I can't wait to see when they really get serious about advertising, as soon as more of the major Mega Projects (like Dubailand) are more developed. The Gulf will throw so much cash into their ad campaigns it will astound the world! They will pull all the plugs out with their advertising....or - more correctly - MEGA ADVERTISING!

Very true, they already spend a fortune advertising but not alot of that is online...YET ! :)

An older article - UAE advertising spend crosses US$1 billion in ’06

Advertising expenditure in the UAE last year crossed the US$1 billion mark for the first time to reach US$1.06 billion, up from US$869 million in 2005. Communication and public utilities accounted for the largest percentage of ad spend, according to a study by the Pan Arab Research Centre (Parc).

The UAE tops the GCC and near region for advertising spend with an increase of 22 per cent in the 12 months to December. Saudi Arabia was the second most lucrative market for advertisers, followed by Egypt.

The top three spenders on advertising in the UAE last year were: web portal, Watani-UAE, with an outlay of US$14.6 million; Emaar which spent US$9.2 million; and etisalat with expenditure of US$8.8 million. According to the Parc study, government organisations, insurance and real estate firms together contributed 21 per cent and 16 per cent respectively of total advertising expenditure.

However, advertising spend in the UAE was down in the first quarter of 2006, primarily because of the cancellation of the Dubai Shopping Festival following the death of the late Ruler, Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid al Maktoum. Advertising picked up in the second half of the year.

Newspapers accounted for a 66 per cent slice of advertising expenditure, accounting for US$701 million, a 33 per cent rise on 2005. Magazines received 16 per cent of advertising revenue or US$175 million, a 17 per cent increase on 2005. Outdoor advertising, including exhibitions and screen displays, rose by 13 per cent over the year to US$47 million, a 5 per cent share of total advertising expenditure.

While print and outdoor advertising rose in 2006, expenditure on television advertising declined by 10 per cent to US$119 million, down from US$132 million in 2005. The most notable drop in advertising on television came from auto manufacturers and the event industry. But real estate firms and government agencies increased their expenditure. Early evening slots in particular became more popular, with a 27 per cent rise in revenue.

Other parts of the day became less popular, such as the early morning slot, which saw revenue falling by 27 per cent.

The report concludes that advertisers are allocating a larger proportion of their budget to press advertising at the expense of television advertisements perhaps because print can better target the home market whereas satellite television addresses the larger pan-Arab audience.

Radio only captured a 1 per cent share of total advertising revenue but registered the highest growth at 41 per cent growth. This is attributed to the emergence of new stations targeting different ethnic groups within Dubai. Cinema advertising fell by 14 per cent. Parc believes this can be attributed to a "lack of attention of planners to a dearth of customised advertising".

Across the GCC, Levant and Egypt, advertising spend was up 24 per cent in 2006 to US$6.7 billion, from US$5.4 billion in 2005. And since 2004, advertising spend in the region has increased 45 per cent. Qatar saw the largest jump in advertising expenditure over 2005-06, seeing an increase of 101 per cent, largely as a result of the hosting of the Asian Games.

Egypt experienced the second highest increase in advertising expenditure, with a 52 per cent leap, up from US$540 million in 2005 to US$819 million in 2006. Oman saw a 32 per cent growth in advertising spend while Jordan's ad spend rose by only 4 per cent, way down from the 44 per cent seen in 2005. As a result of the Israeli-Lebanese conflict ad spend in Lebanon fell by 14 per cent. (Khaleej Times)

Last edited:
•••
gazzip said:
Very true, they already spend a fortune advertising but not alot of that is online...YET ! :)

An older article - UAE advertising spend crosses US$1 billion in ’06

Advertising expenditure in the UAE last year crossed the US$1 billion mark for the first time to reach US$1.06 billion, up from US$869 million in 2005. Communication and public utilities accounted for the largest percentage of ad spend, according to a study by the Pan Arab Research Centre (Parc).

The UAE tops the GCC and near region for advertising spend with an increase of 22 per cent in the 12 months to December. Saudi Arabia was the second most lucrative market for advertisers, followed by Egypt.

The top three spenders on advertising in the UAE last year were: web portal, Watani-UAE, with an outlay of US$14.6 million; Emaar which spent US$9.2 million; and etisalat with expenditure of US$8.8 million. According to the Parc study, government organisations, insurance and real estate firms together contributed 21 per cent and 16 per cent respectively of total advertising expenditure.

However, advertising spend in the UAE was down in the first quarter of 2006, primarily because of the cancellation of the Dubai Shopping Festival following the death of the late Ruler, Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid al Maktoum. Advertising picked up in the second half of the year.

Newspapers accounted for a 66 per cent slice of advertising expenditure, accounting for US$701 million, a 33 per cent rise on 2005. Magazines received 16 per cent of advertising revenue or US$175 million, a 17 per cent increase on 2005. Outdoor advertising, including exhibitions and screen displays, rose by 13 per cent over the year to US$47 million, a 5 per cent share of total advertising expenditure.

While print and outdoor advertising rose in 2006, expenditure on television advertising declined by 10 per cent to US$119 million, down from US$132 million in 2005. The most notable drop in advertising on television came from auto manufacturers and the event industry. But real estate firms and government agencies increased their expenditure. Early evening slots in particular became more popular, with a 27 per cent rise in revenue.

Other parts of the day became less popular, such as the early morning slot, which saw revenue falling by 27 per cent.

The report concludes that advertisers are allocating a larger proportion of their budget to press advertising at the expense of television advertisements perhaps because print can better target the home market whereas satellite television addresses the larger pan-Arab audience.

Radio only captured a 1 per cent share of total advertising revenue but registered the highest growth at 41 per cent growth. This is attributed to the emergence of new stations targeting different ethnic groups within Dubai. Cinema advertising fell by 14 per cent. Parc believes this can be attributed to a "lack of attention of planners to a dearth of customised advertising".

Across the GCC, Levant and Egypt, advertising spend was up 24 per cent in 2006 to US$6.7 billion, from US$5.4 billion in 2005. And since 2004, advertising spend in the region has increased 45 per cent. Qatar saw the largest jump in advertising expenditure over 2005-06, seeing an increase of 101 per cent, largely as a result of the hosting of the Asian Games.

Egypt experienced the second highest increase in advertising expenditure, with a 52 per cent leap, up from US$540 million in 2005 to US$819 million in 2006. Oman saw a 32 per cent growth in advertising spend while Jordan's ad spend rose by only 4 per cent, way down from the 44 per cent seen in 2005. As a result of the Israeli-Lebanese conflict ad spend in Lebanon fell by 14 per cent. (Khaleej Times)

Wow! Good article Gazzip! Wait till they really start to go nuts with tv ads...that is coming. They will blow all other travel destinations away with what they will throw into advertising. What we see now is really nothing...just the tip of the iceberg. They are doing almost zero in USA right now but friends in UK tell me there is a lot of advertising there to sell UAE real estate.

•••
$$Domainer said:
Wow! Good article Gazzip! Wait till they really start to go nuts with tv ads...that is coming. They will blow all other travel destinations away with what they will throw into advertising. What we see now is really nothing...just the tip of the iceberg. They are doing almost zero in USA right now but friends in UK tell me there is a lot of advertising there to sell UAE real estate.

Yeah they advertise a fair bit in the UK but I think that will increase.

The following comments are off an old article (2005) from Dubaitourism.ae

"The UK is the largest source market of visitors to Dubai . In 2005, the number of UK guests in Dubai hotel establishments crossed the 681,000 mark, posting a 13 % growth.

Over 605,000 hotel guests were from the UK in 2004, a 32% increase from 458,451 in 2003.

A total of 190 tour operators in the UK and Ireland now feature Dubai in their brochures.

The UK exports to Dubai rose 134% in 2005 reaching a total value of AED 30.9 billion. UK exports to the UAE as a whole increased by 106% in 2005 to AED 36.2 billion. Dubai is the UK largest market in the Middle East and the 17th largest export market in the world.

DTCM conducted Dubai Road Shows in three cities of the UK - Manchester , Glasgow and London - from June 28 to July 1, 2005. DTCM led the strongest-ever delegation of 98 public and private sector organizations from Dubai at the 26th edition of the World Travel Market (WTM-2005) held in London in November 2005. The Dubai Stand measuring over 506 square metres at the four-day travel fair.

The DTCM launched its largest-ever advertising campaign in London in November 2005 by utilizing 180 fully-liveried London Taxis. The 12-month campaign includes advertising both on the interior and exterior of the vehicles.

(DCB)-DTCM have taken the aggressive promotional and marketing drive a step further with the selection of the UK-based Janet Sealy Partnership (JSP) to market Dubai as a Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Exhibitions (MICE) destination in Europe.

...things a looking Gooooood :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back