Dynadot

Becoming a registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was wondering how somebody would go about becoming a domain name registrar and what is required, or what the fees are etc.

Thanks for the info,
Brian

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First of all you have to have big $$$$$$$$. ICANN registration and so on. Or you can just go as a reseller.

•••
Requires about $10,000 non-refundable, for first extention (e.g. .com) - then about $3,000 to add other extentions, depending on which ones you add.

•••
The min you need is $75k. But it would certainly be more.

Really not worth the investment, way too competetive. Godaddy and many other registrars make most of their cash through selling hosting.

You would be best off getting a $6.95 reseller account which works out only slightly more than you would pay if you were a registered registrar.

•••
Colin Behr said:

Really not worth the investment, way too competetive. Godaddy and many other registrars make most of their cash through selling hosting.

You would be best off getting a $6.95 reseller account which works out only slightly more than you would pay if you were a registered registrar.

I agree with this. I have looked into it and the amount of money required to start is high and you have to show that you have a certain amount of financial stability also. You are by far better to just open a reseller account and go from there.

Good Luck

•••
Yeah, do the godaddy.com reseller! Its nice and easy to use.

•••
wow that is alot of money. I wouldnt waste my time on that unless im making that much a month lol

•••
Just to add. You would actually need to have over 100k domains registered before it would even be worth thinking about becoming a registrar.

•••
If you have that much money it is better to find a territory and register a ccTLD, for example .DV :)

•••
Colin Behr said:

I believe if you do some checking Godaddy makes much more on domain registrations then they do on hosting. Having hosted with them once I can tell you their hosting is terrible.

•••
Troubled1 said:
I believe if you do some checking Godaddy makes much more on domain registrations then they do on hosting. Having hosted with them once I can tell you their hosting is terrible.

Godaddy makes only a small profit, most likely far less than $2 on each .com .net etc. However, with other extensions they may make more profit.

I am sure that they make mroe from hosting. That's why you see all of the offers whilst you try to register a domain.

•••
I was looking on a website about becomming one and it looked like it was mainly these flat fees you had to pay, but other than that it didn't cost all that much per domain name.

Is that correct?

•••
Resellers are the best now :p cheap and fast :)

•••
brianmn said:
I was looking on a website about becomming one and it looked like it was mainly these flat fees you had to pay, but other than that it didn't cost all that much per domain name.

Is that correct?

Are you sure that wasn't a reseller account?

•••
The steps to becoming an ICANN accredited registrar are online at
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation.htm

It doesn't actually cost $70k to get accredited, you just must demonstrate that you have that amount of funds available to your business. They want to make sure you have some stability. The fees vary depending on what TLDs you want to sell. You also have to consider the costs of leasing or developing an interface if you want to sell registrations to the public.

Pricing for registrars is $6.25 for .COM domains.

As others mentioned, becoming a reseller for an existing registrar may be a good option. In my personal opinion, eNom has the best program and reseller options around.

RJ

•••
OK I have a reseller host and i want my customers to buy a domain if they want.

What do iexcactly do and how much will it cost me

•••
Don't get into the domain name market, or at least the primary-selling market. If you want to see real money, get into the aftermarket.

-Steve

•••
What do you mean by aftermarket?

I have a reseller hosting account but i want them to be able to register domains if they want. How can i do so

•••
Something else to concider is what area you want to become a registrar in ?
Yes the main TLD's are quite expensive ( more in terms of proving you provide the technical and structure to run a registrar ). But you can still become a registrar for other TLD's, I was involved in a bid to provide .com.au.

I agree with RJ, Enom is still the best ( in my opinion ) option other than becoming a registrar.

All the best.

Richard

•••
asgsoft said:
I have a reseller hosting account but i want them to be able to register domains if they want. How can i do so

You need also to get a domain reseller account. The best ones providing these are:

- http://enom.com
- http://directi.com

There are more (like onlinenic or wildwestdomains), but you shouldn't be bothererd by these too much. Go with the best!

Good luck!!!

•••
localpub said:
There are more (like onlinenic or wildwestdomains), but you shouldn't be bothererd by these too much. Go with the best!
I wouldn't discard those so easily.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back