IT.COM

discuss Beating Dropcatch.com ? Possible ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siddharth W

Established Member
Impact
Can we beat Dropcatch or Other big Backordering Service if we use 100's of DesktopCatcher or Similiar Software on 100's of 10+ Gb's VPS with 1000's Of API, On a Single Domain? What I think that Dropcatch.com definitely not waste that resource of Single Domain. So, What are chance to succeed acc. to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only 6 times a sec? Suppose even one of my setup send 1 API req per 10 sec, Whole system can send about 100 API req per sec with 100 Setup
Best of Luck, start wasting those dollars on multiple vps/servers. Cheers.

•••
I agree you would need to be your own domain name register to pull this off very easily.

•••
Mankind made can be competed by another mankind made.
Oneday, dropcatch will become a past.

•••
Mankind made can be competed by another mankind made.
Oneday, dropcatch will become a past.
guess what we may made to beat dropcatch.com? acquired the registry company (verisign/icann)? :lol

today i am laughing because above statement, but in few years again maybe i am laughing because someone had made it & not me that made it in the past :lol

Last edited:
•••
All those cores in Iceland crunching Bitcoin might need a job soon..So yes, it is possible. With a warehouse full of servers.

•••
I honestly can't see where the return would come from with that kind of investment to be honest.
I see it easily. Just look at their daily auctions. Remember that NameBio only reports sales over $1K. And how many auctions are there in $100 - $1K range closing daily? I could try to watch it the next few days, but i guess it's dozens daily. Heck they must have dozens if not hundreds delivered non auctioned backorders in $10-59 range. And their fixed cost for each such sale - is $7 to registry. So, take a median profit about $20 per domain - i smell easily $10K daily. Ok, even if only $5K. So $5M sounded by you, is very worth to invest.

And all this even without those crazy auctions ending with $2K or $15K. Few auctions like this a month - and you are okay.

•••
For regular domainers, without any shadow of a doubt, the best thing is not to alert other domainers if you find a good expiring domain.

That means just bidding quietly at snapnames.com *only* on the day (don't bid the day before).

You can always join the auction later (if one starts) at dropcatch, but snapnames.com is your best chance. I would say it's 60/40 now to DropCatch.

That means for $79 you can beat dropcatch if nobody else bids.

I must hand it to HugeDomains they really know what they are doing. Buy low sell high(er) is your path to success. The lower you pay for your domains, the greater your odds of success. The more you overpay in an auction for an expired domain - just because it is expired - the less your odds of success.

Last edited:
•••
For regular domainers, without any shadow of a doubt, the best thing is not to alert other domainers if you find a good expiring domain.

That means just bidding quietly at snapnames.com *only* on the day (don't bid the day before).

You can always join the auction later (if one starts) at dropcatch, but snapnames.com is your best chance. I would say it's 60/40 now to DropCatch.

That means for $79 you can beat dropcatch if nobody else bids.

I must hand it to HugeDomains they really know what they are doing. Buy low sell high(er) is your path to success. The lower you pay for your domains, the greater your odds of success. The more you overpay in an auction for an expired domain - just because it is expired - the less your odds of success.
exactly, many domainers have this strategy due to dc and hd now.

Many domains sold by dc goes to customers who did not backorder, they only follow current auctions for their investment. they use thework of others who backordered...

•••
Isn't dropcatching/backordering slowly becoming a thing of the past now that the registrar's are auctioning off their own expired domains before they even drop (GD, Name, Namesilo, etc)? I would imagine the market has declined considerably in recent years. HD is the next business model for the big spenders, by which I mean buying everything worth anything on the expired auctions. Maybe DC will start to move into buying the backordered names from the expired auctions on their clients behalfs.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned or makes no sense.

•••
Isn't dropcatching/backordering slowly becoming a thing of the past now that the registrar's are auctioning off their own expired domains before they even drop (GD, Name, Namesilo, etc)? I would imagine the market has declined considerably in recent years. HD is the next business model for the big spenders, by which I mean buying everything worth anything on the expired auctions. Maybe DC will start to move into buying the backordered names from the expired auctions on their clients behalfs.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned or makes no sense.

Already DC doing this, I've participated an auction on GD but lost, later i can see that domain transfered to "NB / TurnCommerce" listed for sale on hugedomains(so i believe the last bidder is DC).

•••
I think if you have the money to build something similar then yes you can beat them.

•••
short story: no, you have zero chance.

long story: in january 2018 i decide to build my own dropcatching service (p.s. am high skilled programmer with strong academic background), after spending some time reading about domain life cycle testing programing languages benchmark for this project, i deiced to use golang (programing language created by google in 2009) and after couple months of developing, the essential functionality was ready to start working on full automation, in one month of running i catched 0 domain (p.s. i was targeting only very high quality .com), after analyzing data this is what i found:
Best case scenario my system was slow by 80 milliseconds (the server where my application was hosted is in virginia close to verisign servers because every milliseconds it counts in this game).
They catched approximately 95% of my recommendation list.
I was using verisign public whois, dropcatch have private access to more than 1500 registrar.

How is your experience with "Go lang" and are you using your own icann accreditation?

Public whois is rate limited so can't use for backorders(correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:
•••
long story: in january 2018 i decide to build my own dropcatching service (p.s. am high skilled programmer with strong academic background)
It's good you have hight programming skills; but how many registrars did you own? That's the key question.

•••
long story: in january 2018 i decide to build my own dropcatching service (p.s. am high skilled programmer with strong academic background)
I think you might need a bit more than one server to provide the service that you wanted to provide.

•••
Go lang is very attractive programing language when's you get the philosophy behind it, and it's very fast i mean very very fast it's the best backend programing language i ever use, for the frontend the standard templating engine have a long way to go, unfortunately am not in the financial zone where i can own icann accreditation (cost $4k year) i did use verisign public whois protocol and like you said there is limitation (max 1000 request per minute after that you get banned but temporary few minutes).

As i mentioned earlier dropcatch is dominating only because there +1500 registrars that have direct access to there api.

owning more than one server will certainly augment your capacity to check public whois but because it's not private direct access, you will be always one step behind them, owning a lot of icann accreditation will be your only solution.
I dont think services are checking whois, they try to register domains directly and widely.

•••
Look at how Pheenix lost in the game even with xxx registrars....

I have a sneaky suspicion they lost because of bad development of their catching software.

•••
Yeah they definitely were under performing in regards to the amount of registrars they had. That's another very big expense for dropcatching.. Coding.. And I guess it never ends as it requires tweaking further on.

•••
While I wouldn't like just one entity getting everything, I wouldn't mind if that entity was me :D

If you made a successful private drop catching system, then you will find it more profitable to open it for public auctions (to compensate the costs) than keeping the domains for yourself.. so you will end up creating another Namejet.

•••
Scroll down the ICANN accredited list, and tell me how long it takes to pass "DropCatch LLC"

they own too much, "Play the game" dont try to beat DropCatch, Spend $59 on the backorder.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Scroll down the ICANN accredited list, and tell me how long it takes you to pass "DropCatch LLC"

they own too much, "Play the game" dont try to beat DropCatch, spend $59 on the backorder
So this is not a break rules of Antitrust law ?
Imo i think it is & ICANN or other legal entities should offer equal chances & impose new regulations, let's say max 25 accredited per registrar.We are in 2020 not in 1999
If you want to be good as registrar be good on tech not possibility to pay hundred thousands of $ to ICANN

Last edited:
•••
So this is not a break rules of Antitrust law ?
Imo i think it is & ICANN or other legal entities should offer equal chances , let's say max 25 accredited per reg.

We’ve always heard DropCatch “monopoly”
but never a solution.

i like this. too bad it will prob never be done, but I really like this. Do most even have 25?

the systems been gamed, how much DC own?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps it is possible for domains that have low bids on DropCatch?

•••
Why not?

shutterstock_154891352.jpg

•••
Even with all of this you are missing a key fundamental... registrars.

With the DropCatch network of registrars they can fire off tens of thousands of domain requests per second maybe more bro.

You can't build a cost effective system, using registry rate limited API requests, and expect to achieve the same result as they are.
how andrew, the dc owner, can have money to bought those registrars (about 500-750 registrar)
when 99.99% of namepros members even cant create 1 registrar :lol
something is really not right or fair

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back