Dynadot

discuss Beating Dropcatch.com ? Possible ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siddharth W

Established Member
Impact
Can we beat Dropcatch or Other big Backordering Service if we use 100's of DesktopCatcher or Similiar Software on 100's of 10+ Gb's VPS with 1000's Of API, On a Single Domain? What I think that Dropcatch.com definitely not waste that resource of Single Domain. So, What are chance to succeed acc. to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
- Andrew Reberry is the dropcatch.com owner
- dropcatch.com is a registrar, with the other name namebright.com
- but then they acquired about 500-750 other registrars, so can use all of them to help register domains that andrew & dropcatch.com want

- how much money to create a registrar?
- how much money to acquired 500 registrars? where he get that money come from?

let me know if there is part still not clearly (y)

Last edited:
•••
•••
It costs more than 5K to set up a registrar. But not 70K.
However, once you are Icann accredited you are still nowhere. You have to liaise with the registries, depending on which extensions you want to carry. They may require you to maintain a prepaid account. It depends. Some registries bill you on a monthly basis, others will simply charge your prepaid account, that you have to replenish as you go.

Registrars have direct access to the registry, an API cannot beat that. But each registrar has its own connection, so even if you have one registrar, you still are competing against hundreds of others who are often working together and pooling their resources. So one lone registrar is not going to catch a lot of goodies.

•••
It's only $70K. "Only", lol. $500K - is insurance limit, which should be easier.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-statement-2012-02-25-en#IIA

You're right, I got mixed up. Let's not forget the time it will take to invest in and develop a competitive catching system. I imagine Dropcatch have now invested in very low level barebones system (assembly or at the highest C) with the highest level of optimization.

To truly compete with that will cost thousands in development on top. Having one registrar connection will also only give you a sniff of a chance.

Thanks

•••
Well, GD checks 6 times a second and dropcatch checks more often. I seriously doubt even if you have a 1 gigbit connection you will be able to check more than 2-3 times a second if your lucky. If, you can't even beat GD you certainly can't beat dropcatch. Perhaps, you should try to snipe less competitive domains and flip them. In, the case of good domains they aren't that easy to snipe fast enough to get, it would be impossible that you'd get an LLL .com or LLL .org even, and basically impossible that you would catch a low-quality 4L .com. You'd be lucky to catch a 4L .net chinese premium with the software, even that is highly unlikely!
Solution? Possibly, snapnames might be a good option at least they only put it for a PRIVATE auction if more than 1 person backorders, whereas GD and dropcatch do public auction for domains snipped if more than one backorder.

Last edited:
•••
[I'm not a hater of dropcatch, I'm still using their service]

yes, it is possible, it doesn't need to spend that much amount to beat dropcatch, look at the way Nsol working i believe they don't even had that much registrar accounts but they are using different strategy to beat others even succeed for years.

once i was nearly beat Dropcatch, successfuly catched a .org domain and hold it for a week but DC approached the PIR, the registry hold the domains for few days for investigation, after the investigation they gave the domain to DC(we don't know what happended inside the registry level but we need to respect their decision) finally the registry left a msg to my registrar, "double registration happened to the domain "same second' so the registry consider it as an internal error, dropcatch registered the domain before you in few microseconds ahead. so the registry award the domain to DC, i believe still we can beat.

•••
It is not a sh*t story bro it's TRUE bro
Of course. I mean, that's shit.

29095442_156331978384977_8119518227207290880_n.jpg

•••
•••
•••
Well, GD checks 6 times a second and dropcatch checks more often. I seriously doubt even if you have a 1 gigbit connection you will be able to check more than 2-3 times a second if your lucky. If, you can't even beat GD you certainly can't beat dropcatch. Perhaps, you should try to snipe less competitive domains and flip them. In, the case of good domains they aren't that easy to snipe fast enough to get, it would be impossible that you'd get an LLL .com or LLL .org even, and basically impossible that you would catch a low-quality 4L .com. You'd be lucky to catch a 4L .net chinese premium with the software, even that is highly unlikely!
Solution? Possibly, snapnames might be a good option at least they only put it for a PRIVATE auction if more than 1 person backorders, whereas GD and dropcatch do public auction for domains snipped if more than one backorder.
Only 6 times a sec? Suppose even one of my setup send 1 API req per 10 sec, Whole system can send about 100 API req per sec with 100 Setup

•••
Even with all of this you are missing a key fundamental... registrars.

With the DropCatch network of registrars they can fire off tens of thousands of domain requests per second maybe more bro.

You can't build a cost effective system, using registry rate limited API requests, and expect to achieve the same result as they are.
Yeah, They Can fire of but the question is do they really fire? For a Single domain?
Cost effective, Maybe Not but Question is just beating by anyway.
Registry has limited API req but what if we've unlimited acc. (10k+) do their Limited API still matters?

Last edited:
•••
Best of Luck, start wasting those dollars on multiple vps/servers. Cheers.
Btw, Where how did you get to know that GD checks only 6 times a sec ?

•••
Btw, Where how did you get to know that GD checks only 6 times a sec ?
A rep on the phone from GD, although they tried to sell it as a positive.

•••
Yeah, They Can fire of but the question is do they really fire? For a Single domain?
Cost effective, Maybe Not but Question is just beating by anyway.
Registry has limited API req but what if we've unlimited acc. (10k+) do their Limited API still matters?
API limits also matter. With a single API key, you can only have on active API call in progress at most registrars. Which means, you'll also have to create 10K accounts with the registrar (ignoring the registrar's objections to this), manage 10K set of API credentials and rotate them efficiently across API calls. Try it and let us know how that fares, even with 10K VPS'

•••
The only way to beat drop catch is to buy them (y)

•••
Well, everything is possible - Different thing is what is your changes to succeed?

•••
The only way to beat drop catch is to buy them (y)
how much they company worth approximately?
checking my wallet.... :D

Isn't dropcatching/backordering slowly becoming a thing of the past now that the registrar's are auctioning off their own expired domains before they even drop (GD, Name, Namesilo, etc)? I would imagine the market has declined considerably in recent years. HD is the next business model for the big spenders, by which I mean buying everything worth anything on the expired auctions. Maybe DC will start to move into buying the backordered names from the expired auctions on their clients behalfs.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned or makes no sense.
you are right too, wonder why some great domains falling from each registrar internal auction at first

Last edited:
•••
I wont say, "you cant". You wanna try, go for it. Maybe you will come out will something different. Why not, another dropcatch service wont hurt. But heres what i think.

Drop catching is an arms race. The more registrar credentials someone has, the more likely they are to catch a dropping domain. So the big players in the backorder space – companies that specialize in just drop catching – have amassed an army of registrars. Often those aren't registrars that exist to serve customers; rather, they're just extra credentials used to ping the registry in order to attempt to register a domain within milliseconds. More registrar credentials implies faster, more frequent registration attempts. Amassing so many registrar credentials is expensive, and the specialized drop catchers already have captured this market share.

So, if you can come out with a new tech, gr8, we all want it.

•••
I wont say, "you cant". You wanna try, go for it. Maybe you will come out will something different. Why not, another dropcatch service wont hurt. But heres what i think.

Drop catching is an arms race. The more registrar credentials someone has, the more likely they are to catch a dropping domain. So the big players in the backorder space – companies that specialize in just drop catching – have amassed an army of registrars. Often those aren't registrars that exist to serve customers; rather, they're just extra credentials used to ping the registry in order to attempt to register a domain within milliseconds. More registrar credentials implies faster, more frequent registration attempts. Amassing so many registrar credentials is expensive, and the specialized drop catchers already have captured this market share.

So, if you can come out with a new tech, gr8, we all want it.
Is it really the registrars that choose when a domain is "let go"? That sounds like the job of the registry to me. Obviously it's a different process for after market domains, they are simply made available for auction to the drop catching services they don't actually "drop".

•••
It's cheaper to use snapnames $79 level and dropcatch $59 level than the funding you will require to just compete with dropcatch and snapnames. Not worth it imo. Look at how Pheenix lost in the game even with xxx registrars....

•••
I have a sneaky suspicion they lost because of bad development of their catching software.
some customers told they ve been screwed by them. (fake bids)

•••
.com has a drop order provided by the registry and it's not random as you have mentioned. It won't happen with your current setup...... Perhaps you just know about cc tlds? You really think companies like dropcatch and snapnames invest millions of dollars instead of considering network engineering? LOL . Try beating them.... Don't get me wrong; I don't like them at all.

Last edited:
•••
No they are a strong snipers

•••
Does anyone know what the going rate is for an off-the-shelf registrar and how to get one?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back