Dynadot

discuss Beating Dropcatch.com ? Possible ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siddharth W

Established Member
Impact
Can we beat Dropcatch or Other big Backordering Service if we use 100's of DesktopCatcher or Similiar Software on 100's of 10+ Gb's VPS with 1000's Of API, On a Single Domain? What I think that Dropcatch.com definitely not waste that resource of Single Domain. So, What are chance to succeed acc. to you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have zero chance of competing with Dropcatch or a similar service using a program like desktopcatcher.

•••
Perhaps it is possible for domains that have low bids on DropCatch?

•••
Well. If you count a cost of 100's of DesktopCatcher's, 100's of VPS, and prefunding 100's of registrar accounts... Then for sure it's cheaper to just go an pay few K's for a domain at Dropcatch.

•••
Similiar Software on 100's of 10+ Gb's VPS with 1000's Of API,

Even with all of this you are missing a key fundamental... registrars.

With the DropCatch network of registrars they can fire off tens of thousands of domain requests per second maybe more bro.

You can't build a cost effective system, using registry rate limited API requests, and expect to achieve the same result as they are.

•••
Why not?

shutterstock_154891352.jpg

•••
Even with all of this you are missing a key fundamental... registrars.

With the DropCatch network of registrars they can fire off tens of thousands of domain requests per second maybe more bro.

You can't build a cost effective system, using registry rate limited API requests, and expect to achieve the same result as they are.
how andrew, the dc owner, can have money to bought those registrars (about 500-750 registrar)
when 99.99% of namepros members even cant create 1 registrar :lol
something is really not right or fair

Last edited:
•••
•••
- Andrew Reberry is the dropcatch.com owner
- dropcatch.com is a registrar, with the other name namebright.com
- but then they acquired about 500-750 other registrars, so can use all of them to help register domains that andrew & dropcatch.com want

- how much money to create a registrar?
- how much money to acquired 500 registrars? where he get that money come from?

let me know if there is part still not clearly (y)

Last edited:
•••
100's of DesktopCatcher

andrew, the dc owner,

Andrew Reberry is the dropcatch.com owner

Now it's clear. I thought you were talking about Andrew from DesctopCatcher, dc = DesctopCatcher as well, and it was mentioned in the OP.

something is really not right or fair

where he get that money come from?

I don't see anything not right or unfair here. Any person can find money or find investors or take business loan. And found a registrar, or 1K registrars like Dropcatch did. What's unfair with this?

•••
I don't see anything not right or unfair here. Any person can find money or find investors or take business loan. And found a registrar, or 1K registrars like Dropcatch did. What's unfair with this?
dropcatch.com created about 2015
in 2016 http://domainincite.com/21309-dropcatch-spends-millions-to-buy-five-hundred-more-registrars

- if anything is right or fair, is there another person in namepros, can repeated what he did? since almost all of us want this, including the OP
even he is usually beating the very old player, namejet & snapnames, can you explaining this?

- so any clue how much money to acquired 1000 registrar?
- any clue who is the investors or business loan that want to loan above amount of money, for this industry?

Last edited:
•••
It's like many of the others have said - they biggest thing DropCatch has going for them is registrars. With your own registrar you'll have direct access to the registry which can be quicker than using an API like my software does. My software will connect to the registrar, which then connects to the registry, and responds back. With your own registrars (like DropCatch) they are communicating directly with the registry. That's one thing that will make have your own registrar faster. However, the price tag isn't cheap. If I remember correctly, to setup a COM/NET registrar is likely going to cost you several thousand dollars. You can do the math to get an idea of what DropCatch is spending for the hundreds of registrars they have.

DropCatch might not be that old, but Reberry has been doing his own drop catching for years. several years as a matter of fact. I'm not sure how he built up the bankroll to get all those registrars under DropCatch, but it's not like he just entered the game with that company. It's an area he is well-experienced in has been around for a while. There's no reason someone on NamePros couldn't do the same thing. Funds tend to be the biggest reason most people will have a hard time competing, though.

•••
That's one thing that will make have your own registrar faster. However, the price tag isn't cheap. If I remember correctly, to setup a COM/NET registrar is likely going to cost you several thousand dollars.

That isn't the problem. $4k is nothing really, and if it was only that many here would setup their own. The problem comes with the fact that one must have $500,000 in working capital, in a company name, and can prove it.

Thanks

•••
That isn't the problem. $4k is nothing really, and if it was only that many here would setup their own. The problem comes with the fact that one must have $500,000 in working capital, in a company name, and can prove it.

Thanks
ah so requirements to be an ICANN registrar is just paying about $4K + $500,000 in working capital, in a company name?

i will creating 1 registrar someday, but looks like its hard enough to create the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or acquiring others

•••
•••
It costs more than 5K to set up a registrar. But not 70K.
However, once you are Icann accredited you are still nowhere. You have to liaise with the registries, depending on which extensions you want to carry. They may require you to maintain a prepaid account. It depends. Some registries bill you on a monthly basis, others will simply charge your prepaid account, that you have to replenish as you go.

Registrars have direct access to the registry, an API cannot beat that. But each registrar has its own connection, so even if you have one registrar, you still are competing against hundreds of others who are often working together and pooling their resources. So one lone registrar is not going to catch a lot of goodies.

•••
It's only $70K. "Only", lol. $500K - is insurance limit, which should be easier.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-statement-2012-02-25-en#IIA

You're right, I got mixed up. Let's not forget the time it will take to invest in and develop a competitive catching system. I imagine Dropcatch have now invested in very low level barebones system (assembly or at the highest C) with the highest level of optimization.

To truly compete with that will cost thousands in development on top. Having one registrar connection will also only give you a sniff of a chance.

Thanks

•••
Well, GD checks 6 times a second and dropcatch checks more often. I seriously doubt even if you have a 1 gigbit connection you will be able to check more than 2-3 times a second if your lucky. If, you can't even beat GD you certainly can't beat dropcatch. Perhaps, you should try to snipe less competitive domains and flip them. In, the case of good domains they aren't that easy to snipe fast enough to get, it would be impossible that you'd get an LLL .com or LLL .org even, and basically impossible that you would catch a low-quality 4L .com. You'd be lucky to catch a 4L .net chinese premium with the software, even that is highly unlikely!
Solution? Possibly, snapnames might be a good option at least they only put it for a PRIVATE auction if more than 1 person backorders, whereas GD and dropcatch do public auction for domains snipped if more than one backorder.

Last edited:
•••
[I'm not a hater of dropcatch, I'm still using their service]

yes, it is possible, it doesn't need to spend that much amount to beat dropcatch, look at the way Nsol working i believe they don't even had that much registrar accounts but they are using different strategy to beat others even succeed for years.

once i was nearly beat Dropcatch, successfuly catched a .org domain and hold it for a week but DC approached the PIR, the registry hold the domains for few days for investigation, after the investigation they gave the domain to DC(we don't know what happended inside the registry level but we need to respect their decision) finally the registry left a msg to my registrar, "double registration happened to the domain "same second' so the registry consider it as an internal error, dropcatch registered the domain before you in few microseconds ahead. so the registry award the domain to DC, i believe still we can beat.

•••
once i was nearly beat Dropcatch, successfuly catched a .org domain and hold it for a week but DC approached the PIR, the registry hold the domains for few days for investigation, after the investigation they gave the domain to DC
What a shit story, bro...

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
At the present time no one can beat dropcatch. I try to avoid the whole backorder system because of how monopolized it is

•••
Back