Domain Empire

domains As Meta stock tumbles with Metaverse losses mounting, should domainer’s rethink their domain holdings

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

With all the speculation and hype around the Metaverse and domain names related to Metaverse and meta, this past week had to give one pause. Meta Platforms the parent of Facebook got trounced in the market. They are losing a lot of money so far in their attempt to build their Metaverse. The stock of […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you really need a land line to get out of Matrix?
One can always throw himself in front of a car or off of a cliff and other methods, so no need for land lines. :D

•••
You should buy meta stocks …all time low…I have 600 shares now
See banking time …..I told ya

E2F1FCBE-B378-4805-AB6B-B5FA11141132.jpeg

•••
Meta Platform's issue and losses is not reflective of the Metaverse as a whole.

Could not agree more and I think its important.

Meta stock is down because the growth and revenue of Facebook + Instagram are down for the first time. "The Metaverse" is just a sideshow - investors don't care about it or the $15 billion Zuck has blown on it.

$15 billion wasted is a lot of money, yes - to you and me. But its not important to a company of their size.

If Zuck wants to run around blowing small money on his pet project literally no one cares, as long as the cash cow of Facebook + Instagram + WhatsApp was still producing and growing. That's what was giving them their insane $trillion+ valuation.

But for the first time in their history, that cash cow's production and growth is slowing. TikTok is eating their lunch. That's why META stock is down, not because anyone gives two shits about Zuck's metaverse being so stupid and wasting a little money.

Regarding meta domains: I have ~300 of them. I've sold several in the last year, and will probably keep 40% of what I have. That's more a reflection of what I've learned + the relatively high renewal cost of .xyz domains rather than my becoming bearish on this niche.

I think Meta Platforms has probably bought all the meta domains they are going to. From here (and for the last year) I think you're selling meta domains to other metaverse/web3 startups anyway. So in my mind the important question is to what extent FB's metaverse crashing so hard and so publicly will make it harder for other metaverse/web3 startups to get funded and thus reduce the demand for these names.

Last edited:
•••
If I may give all a small hint:

Just like in domaining (quite often), also in the metaverse(s) sphere counts:
What age does it have (how long is it active).

metaverses that were found at the very beginning / as some of the very first ones,
will always be respected the most .

Decentraland, Sandbox (...) will be the most acknowledged metaverses for all time.

They are all able to add VR (or whatever will come in future), but their original structure will stay as is.

So: If you hold land (ownership) for one of these metaverses, you are in the best company.

Sandbox is for sure the greatest mv by now... but DecentraLand, Axie Infinity, Metahero will also stay among the hyped ones.

just my opinion; do your own research.

[other than that, you may invest into the platforms, that make play2earn etc. possibile:
immutable X, polygon, gala games aso.]

Last edited:
•••
u all know nothing about mv... it is the future of everything... it makes no diff if fb stock tumbles... every new tech first looked like bad joke ... yer beloved phone etc...we are just scratching surfaces now for mv... but whichever company gets there first it won't be billions valuations no more .. it will be trillions... keep on laughing at mark losing money or having no legs.

•••
It could be called something other than "metaverse," so adjust accordingly.

•••
Hi

how can you "buy land" in an environment with no ground?

yes, the metaverse is still developing, and as foreseen, will eventually become The Matrix.

except there won't be any "land lines" to get you out.

imo....

•••
All time low for a reason. It’ll go lower if Zuck keeps trying to push a bad cartoon.

•••
All time low for a reason. It’ll go lower if Zuck keeps trying to push a bad cartoon.

Doesn’t matter my average is $95 a share in 5 years I expect it will double or triple …I see the early day similarity to Tsla when no one believed it ….of course, you should also buy puts if you worry about short term fluctuation

•••
People lost a lot of money using this logic in the past year holding on to FB / META. Buy when everyone runs away is not a rule for all stocks. In most cases when everyone runs from a specific stock, run as well.

Bitcoin is as good as centralized. In fact, you need more identification to use bitcoin for most regular transactions than you need for any other payment method. When was the last time you wanted to buy something at amazon and you needed to go through a verification method asking for your passport, selfie etc?
I tried buying bitcoin 4 times, in different places and none would seem to accept my passport and drivers licence! I gave up and saw it as a sign that the universe didn’t want me to buy it.

•••
Meta Facebook is not the leading player in Metaverse. The leading players are Decentraland, Sandbox. Land Parcels in Decentraland used to be only $20, and now the ceapest are $3000.There are leading brands including Ferrari, Adidas, Sotheby's, etc. already open store on Metaverse. So for me, Metaverse is not Meta inc. which already failed in Diem Crypto (used to be called as Libra). Meta inc. might fail in Metaverse too, who knows. But Crypto and Metaverse are the other story, not connected to Diem and Meta Platform.
Well, I don't know about that. Surely the primary reason why the value of Decentraland went up was because of hype over Meta's 'Metaverse', and the idea that the Internet will gradually become VR? Meta sold over 90% of VR headsets last year and have a real first mover advantage there.
However, I always thought metaverse names were a bit risky, especially with Meta's main rival likely to be Apple, who will NEVER adopt the 'metaverse' terminology, and in fact rubbish it while betting their company (just like Meta) on the same vision (if more focused on AR, which is still the 'metaverse').
It does puzzle me the number of rubbish metaverse and varient names being sold, when as a holder of a lot of decent VR names, I've never had so much of a single offer on any of them yet. The metaverse will be derided and people will stop using the term, but VR will continue to grow near exponentionally, and in 15 or 20 years time, we will all realize that we spend half our days in the 'metaverse'. Zuckerberg himself has said it will be at least 10 years before the metaverse is mainstream.

•••
Hi

how can you "buy land" in an environment with no ground?

yes, the metaverse is still developing, and as foreseen, will eventually become The Matrix.

except there won't be any "land lines" to get you out.

imo....
Do you really need a land line to get out of Matrix?

•••
They have a lot of things to improve which they are working on (check video) and maybe in the future things will change, but 300 people now, not so much indeed lol

Inside Meta’s Reality Labs: Hands-On With the Future of Metaverse​

Oh god if it has zuck a Borg in it I don't think I can watch it

•••
I think it's early days. Domainers are pesimistic, because that XXXXX meta sale hasn't come yet. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
I have only 4 solid meta domains. Will renew them for two more years and see what happens.

•••
Lots of people made a lot of money last year, you have to know when to bail out, but while the "buzz" is hot, it's smart to invest in whatever niche, but know when to exit.

Show attachment 226102
Source: NameBio.com
Last year was the key point of your post. Also knowing when to move along!

•••

•••
•••
It is not a joke that 700 Billion US Dollars were wiped out with the crash of 24% in Meta Price.
Money is not "wiped out" in financial markets, it simply changes hands, most often from the neophyte to the pro.

•••
•••
Domainers should always rethink their domain holdings. Why would metaverse names be excluded?

A critical consideration is... the Meta metaverse is not 'The Metaverse'.
One writer said Meta is like Motorola, in the 1990's, spending a ton a money on a constellation of satellites so it could 'own' the wireless web world, but cell towers won-out because they were cheaper and less complexed.

Another consideration, is what the OP posted last month, that domains are the "real land of the metaverse".
namepros.com/threads/escrow-com-the-real-land-of-the-metaverse-is-and-has-always-been-domain-names.1285296/

Personally, I only reg'd about a dozen -and will drop a few, but hold most as I see a use case beyond phones & computers.

•••
•••
If your domain names include the full word "metaverse", that is definitely based on the trend, and you should adjust based on the trajectory and current market.

However, if the domain names include just "meta", this gives much more flexibility and broader use.

Meta is a prefix meaning "more comprehensive" or "transcending". In modern nomenclature meta- means also self-referential field of study or endeavor. Meta domain names have been around far longer than the metaverse. Those should be considered on a case by case basis.

•••
300 users a day.

Cloud had utility that made EVERYTHING easier for people and for businesses. Metaverse doesn't have these properties.

Cloud is "we'll store that on our servers". That's a great concept.

You can pay to live in a virtual world like a drone and experience something that is completely rubbish and half bakes isn't the same.

My 2 cents

There was a time when the internet had about 50,000 users globally and demonized. That said, invest whereever makes you feel safe. Not here to change minds. I'm set. Not here to pull anyones safety blanket off either. Emerging tech is not for the risk averse. Invest or don't invest at your own risk.

good luck mate

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back