Domain Empire

domains As Meta stock tumbles with Metaverse losses mounting, should domainer’s rethink their domain holdings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

With all the speculation and hype around the Metaverse and domain names related to Metaverse and meta, this past week had to give one pause. Meta Platforms the parent of Facebook got trounced in the market. They are losing a lot of money so far in their attempt to build their Metaverse. The stock of […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Journalists seem to be falling over themselves to write their 'metaverse is dead' pieces while they still can. Even the dimmest of them can surely see the hype is going be 10 x bigger in just 12 days time.
10 x 0 = 0

What's happening in 12 days, zuck is leaving the board?

Last edited:
•••
Stockmarket always tend to over exegarate.
This is why you can earn money there, buy when everybody runs away, vise versa.

Meta quest pro is just the beginning.

Even if VR will not be a mass phenomena, just like others said correct, the usecase for metaverses is there. And growing.

As metaverser is not necessarily something, you can explore via headset.

But by owning nfts tokens (land etc) in a decentralized ecosystem,
for gaming, events, parties, chat and meet, etc.

This won't go away anymore.

Centralized stuff (unowned stuff) days are numbered.

•••
Well, I made back all the money I spent on buying them as handregs, but thats not really investing. Right now its cost me nothing and I made just over $1200 profit. Its the coming renewals that I have to be careful with. Most expire in Jan to May 2023.
Awesome that you made money!

There have been meta related sales in the past and no doubt there will be more. It just seems like a lot of hype and lots of folks are talking about metaverse domains as if they’re an awesome investment, long term.

Be careful because what’s hot today will be forgotten tomorrow.

•••
•••
Can you imagine having a headset which you can control with your brain/mind. This is what Meta/Facebook and others are working on. And now imagine that with injecting ads, controlling consumer behaviour etc. Weird world it would be, pretty dangerous. Not to mention hackers. But this is the future, VR AR MetaVerse is still in the beginning, taking its first baby steps. Imagine in 15-30 years. I only own one domain now "iimmerse" which I will hold on the long run, because you never know, but sold lots of VR ones in the beginning/hype.

The end goal for these companies is a BCI infused metaverse.....

It's been worked on for quite some time...supposedly for health reasons, but the commercial leap is not that big a step.....

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnsys.2021.578875/full

You have Elon Musk and Neuralink - which is wayyy more scary in the long term (if he does anything about it, big if though...)than meta imo

Also Synchron already has FDA approval

Meta bought CTRL - Labs

Valve is working on an open source project

Snap invested acquired NextMind - supposedly for "non invasive" brain computer interface Tech

Direct access to the brain.........An advertiser's wet dream being slowly turned into reality....

•••
And whatever names that I have in my portfolio, I will sell them at throw away price now.
Pretty extreme reaction to this news. I'm letting about 30% expire and renewing the rest for at least another year.

•••
300 people using the metaverse 😂. Wow.

Nobody wants it!!
They have a lot of things to improve which they are working on (check video) and maybe in the future things will change, but 300 people now, not so much indeed lol

Inside Meta’s Reality Labs: Hands-On With the Future of Metaverse​

Last edited:
•••
I'll keep this shorter then my last post which didn't address some crucial points...

Meta Platform's issue and losses is not reflective of the Metaverse as a whole.

If you weren't around domaining during the Great Recession 2007-2009 then these are fearful times. Fearful times breeds panic.... if you did not prepare your portfolio or finances adequately, then you do what you need to do to eat which typically means selling cheap. But holding is the better strategy when facing recessionary pressures especially in a niche where major players have yet to enter the ring and we have countries like Dubai via Dubai Future wanting to be the leader (and China) and other governments changing their economic outlook to reflect the metaverse.

2007-2009 the major tech niche emerging at that time was "CLOUD". Late 2006 early 2007 was quick boom before recession came full blast. It was another big holding season and it wasn't until 2010 that the Cloud market really exploded and still going strong. Put same pattern occured.... panic selling.... saavy buying.

If you don't have great names, hey recoup your money because where there is panic selling and there is also active spread buying occuring. If you have great names or decent names, you hold until the dust clears... oh... and watch out for vultures coming in and telling you your asset is worthless because of the economy. Know what your name is worth under normal economic conditions. if you don't need the money, you just hold for the clearing/your price. That's it. This climate breeds desperation on many parts.

And it is NEVER a good idea tying your entire portfolio decision based on 1 company's outlook when the very goal of a true metaverse is to be an open network of companies agreeing on protocles etc and playing nice to build it. Research Research Research.... also, network and ask questions if this environment is not your strong suite. Unsettled environments is where you can make a lot of money and also where you can lose your shirt so strategize wisely based on your risk tolerance... you have to decide what's best for you... but I would suggest not panicing and without panicking also ask yourself, if there are other niches or domain vehicles that can do better right now? Having options and knowing them helps to alleviate fear and doubt even if you don't act on them.

Best of luck everyone! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
•••
Stockmarket always tend to over exegarate.
This is why you can earn money there, buy when everybody runs away, vise versa.
People lost a lot of money using this logic in the past year holding on to FB / META. Buy when everyone runs away is not a rule for all stocks. In most cases when everyone runs from a specific stock, run as well.
Meta quest pro is just the beginning.

Even if VR will not be a mass phenomena, just like others said correct, the usecase for metaverses is there. And growing.

As metaverser is not necessarily something, you can explore via headset.

But by owning nfts tokens (land etc) in a decentralized ecosystem,
for gaming, events, parties, chat and meet, etc.

This won't go away anymore.

Centralized stuff (unowned stuff) days are numbered.
Bitcoin is as good as centralized. In fact, you need more identification to use bitcoin for most regular transactions than you need for any other payment method. When was the last time you wanted to buy something at amazon and you needed to go through a verification method asking for your passport, selfie etc?

•••
I think the problem is that Facebook is the wrong company to be the pioneer "metaverse" company.

Apple, IBM, Google, some giant tech company. But Facebook is just a social media and networking service. Nothing about them gives them the experience and resources to do something this massive.

Even Apple said they saw more of a mixed reality environment than this full blown immersed world that Facebook is talking about.
I disagree with that, i think Mark Zuckerberg has done a lot for the growth of the metaverse (making people aware etc) and are the company with Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp/Oculus etc (how many billion use these?) to accelerate the growth of 'a metaverse' to that next level.

Problem i have with 'Meta's vision of 'the metaverse' is them branding around it and them wanting to become 'the metaverse'. They've trademarked 'Meta' they are probably the owners of Metaverse.com, they want to be rulers of this whole 'meta' world.

If they promoted an open source 'metaverse' more people may be on board, but why should any companies or any industries support a 'Meta' controlled metaverse or their vision of what a metaverse is?

Last edited:
•••
The Metaverse is The Wold's Deepest Money Pit

Poor Zuck lol

Last edited:
•••
Can you imagine having a headset which you can control with your brain/mind. This is what Meta/Facebook and others are working on. And now imagine that with injecting ads, controlling consumer behaviour etc. Weird world it would be, pretty dangerous. Not to mention hackers. But this is the future, VR AR MetaVerse is still in the beginning, taking its first baby steps. Imagine in 15-30 years. I only own one domain now "iimmerse" which I will hold on the long run, because you never know, but sold lots of VR ones in the beginning/hype.
Yeah, I will pass on that. It sounds a dystopian nightmare out of a show like Black Mirror.

Brad

•••
Last edited:
•••
I disagree with that, i think Mark Zuckerberg has done a lot for the growth of the metaverse (making people aware etc) and are the company with Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp/Oculus etc (how many billion use these?) to accelerate the growth of 'a metaverse' to that next level.
He's also done a lot to show its failing.

•••
I don't know much about the Metaverse, but Web Summit 2022 is happening right now and everyone is talking about AR, VR, blockchain, metaverse...
everyone = the same people and not many new people

•••
I agree, but there is also a cult of denial about the metaverse. It is a fact that thousands of companies are building their own digital worlds and calling them the "metaverse".
The denial is because all predictions about the metaverse so far did not come true. That is not a cult, that is respecting what people are into and not into.

•••
Can you imagine having a headset which you can control with your brain/mind. This is what Meta/Facebook and others are working on.
He can't even give his avatars legs, he is way off from anything like that.

Right now its all promises and bullcrap. People are buying "land" with nothing on it and nothing around your property. Tiliaverse is selling real world locations, like buildings in NYC, but of course in the metaverse. What the hell are they going to do with them ? Think about designing a whole building and then nobody being in it or nothing around you being developed.

•••
I don't think they have any actual interest in the concept other than it's just another way to use data and technology to jam ads in front of your face.

•••
•••
Sector is still pretty strong with offers and sales.

Meta
Metaverse
Verse

Gonna be massive so adjust accordingly.
I'm holding my best, only sold a few.

Very very hard to get in now as people are holding with very high prices 👀 I'm a buyer if anyone wants out.

•••
•••
Why did Zuck call it “Horizon Worlds”?!!

Awful, might be a worse name than “Bard”!!

Last edited:
•••
Meta Facebook is not the leading player in Metaverse. The leading players are Decentraland, Sandbox. Land Parcels in Decentraland used to be only $20, and now the ceapest are $3000.There are leading brands including Ferrari, Adidas, Sotheby's, etc. already open store on Metaverse. So for me, Metaverse is not Meta inc. which already failed in Diem Crypto (used to be called as Libra). Meta inc. might fail in Metaverse too, who knows. But Crypto and Metaverse are the other story, not connected to Diem and Meta Platform.
Whoever those companies are they're already failing. Who's buying a "land parcel" other than 13 year olds? It's really is infantile.

•••
When new ideas form, the core of that idea comes from the leader. The leader of Meta (Facebook) isn't that likable, IMO. People are drawn to a certain character. One very good reason why an Elon Musk has success, among other things, is his character. Likable, unpredictable, eccentric, fun, weird, trolly etc. An unusual blend that works. When you buy Facebook stock, or buy into the Facebook brand, you're buying into the leader too

The Metaverse and ideas for virtual reality is far from dead, but if you aren't a certain character pushing certain ideas (especially those that are abstract, innovative, new and exciting ideas), it doesn't help your case. Confidence will be lost, and your stock will tank. I'm sure there are other reasons than its leadership, but it's one reason. Light at the end of the tunnel: Good job they have the cash to buy companies

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back