NameSilo

Are there any 4 letter .com domains left or what?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
are all 4 letter .com domains registered or what?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As far as I am aware there are still alot floating around. And there are tonnes dropping every day!

•••
Jiblob said:
As far as I am aware there are still alot floating around. And there are tonnes dropping every day!

Just about covers it

•••
On the other side of coin, they are steadily disappearing. And about 90 percent of the drop picked up. Check dyyo.com for status.

•••
most decent combos are gone and there are very few if any to reg at normal reg rate in this category. There are numbers of names on sale at above reg fee but this is a different show. In short it is now a market which domainers are now entering at above reg fee, unless a few can be scoured from the ~ 55K left. You can see this if you try out the unregged names at dyyo.com .If you want to buy from sellers the price is ~ $12 and up from different sellers but occasionally cheaper. The tectonic plate is slowly moving........................

•••
If I start to load up the llll.com now, do you think I can get at least 10% per year appreciation?

•••
cache said:
If I start to load up the llll.com now, do you think I can get at least 10% per year appreciation?

Check the forum, All the premium LLLL domains are taken so at this point you either pay higher then reg fee or take them at reg fee.

I think its to early to say what or when the value will go up.
When we start seeing less drop daily the value may increase.

Last I checked there where more LLLL.com domains droping everyday then were being regged. Hopefully that will change.

:)
deet

•••
10-20 days dropping . . . sometimes even less

•••
Many 4 lettered domains keep expiring every day.SO you just got to wait for them

•••
There are some left - including a few that are not-bad. Those with only premium letters have been gone for over a year and a half. Can you make 10% per year on the better reg fee LLLL.com? I would not have bought them if I did not expect a lot better than that, so I think that you can, particularly if you can hold for several years.

Of course if the over-all economy or the domain market go in the dumper then things would not be happy in llll-ville.

•••
cache said:

10% per year is not a lot. Even after 5 years this should be less than $60*. I sold one LLLL.com that I bought in June for more $65 this month. Personally, I expect them to go up faster than 10% per year for the next 5 years.

*Assume reg fee is $7.50 with 7% increases per year.
End of Year 1: $8.25 - (7.5x1.1 = $8.25)
End of Year 2: $17.90 - (($8.25+$7.5*1.07)x1.1 = $17.90)
End of Year 3: $29.10 - (($17.90+$7.5*1.07^2)x1.1 = $29.10)
End of Year 4: $42.15 - (($29.10 + $7.5*1.07^3)x1.1 = $42.15)
End of Year 5: $57.20 - (($42.15 + $7.5*1.07^4)x1.1 = $57.20)

•••
i already see the value of LLLL.com's going up. i have sold a few to resellers, not end users, for low XXX in some cases. I see a good future for LLLL.com names

•••
kev said:
i already see the value of LLLL.com's going up. i have sold a few to resellers, not end users, for low XXX in some cases. I see a good future for LLLL.com names

wow nice!
Were they premium LLLL domains ?

•••
no, they had "z"'s and stuff. e.g. zorv.com was one of them.

•••
I see the market steadily increasing. Slowly but surley. I think that it will speed up when the number of reg'd LLLL.com's gets a bit higher. The prices will go up then eventually level out. Then the prices will slowly build again probably. I'm hoping for, low to mid xxx, average value in 3 years, but who knows.

I think they are a great investment for anyone, espesially a person that is new to the market and looking for an investment. Just try to find some that you think have meaning, contain premium letters or sound catchy if you can.

The more people reg and keep, the quicker the market will rise:)

Last edited:
•••
for a fixed amount of money, should I invest it in a stock market where I expect 10% return (say buying a index fund) or invest in llll.com domain (just blindly buying up available llll.com to reg)?

which has better return, which has higher risk?

•••
cache said:
for a fixed amount of money, should I invest it in a stock market where I expect 10% return (say buying a index fund) or invest in llll.com domain (just blindly buying up available llll.com to reg)?

index funds can crash and very few markets can expect 10% return year on year. the comparison is false.

•••
cache said:

I would say the domain market has both more risk and more potential reward. The reason is that domains are only a few years old as an investment vehicle and things are not sorted out. There will be big jumps in value as the market discovers imbalances (three letter .us names doubled almost overnight a few months ago) and fads that will go bust when common sense returns (the qt craze on eBay??)

It really is like the old west - some folks choose their moves well - or were lucky - others did not. You want quality "real estate". The San Francisco Bay is taken, metaphorically, but maybe you can find Sacramento.

Thus we come to your statement: "just blindly buying up available llll.com". While LLLL.com are a class that will establish a floor price, there is considerable variation in the quality of the names available, which will translate into variation in the price you will receive when you sell. This is a major difference from buying mutual funds - each item is different.
You may be able to sell a small portion of your holdings before term to end users for a lot more money than you get eventually for the remainder. Selling is more time consuming than calling your broker. Selling prices will be difficult to estimate. And renewal fees need to be considered.

What about just buying up all the remaining LLLL.coms? Well, if you have the $ to risk (remember renewals) it might work out - kind of like buying random land. You would certainly be popular with me and others whose portfolios will gain value when the overhang is removed. The over riding question would be the direction and acceleration of the internet and the domain market as a whole. The acceleration has been there and seems to be continuing, barring major national or international problems that would hit the stock market also. The internal direction of the market is harder to tell -- we get jerked to the right or left on a regular basis. Short domains are popular now, particularly the LLL's. There are real reasons for this, reasons that may be stronger in the future (mobile devices) or weaker (voice).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back