Dynadot

Are dashed domains undervalued by domainers?

NameSilo
Watch
In my 10+ years of domaining I have often been mystified by the 'perceived wisdoms' within the domaining community, some had partial truths behind them whilst others obviously were almost totally without foundation and relied solely on repeating it often enough (usually by one or more of the big names in the domaining community) that they became ingrained in domaining lore in much the same way as an an urban myth develops. Today I am going to take on one of these perceived wisdoms, the lack of value of any domain containing a dash or hyphen.

It is evident that all the top domain names are registered in the .com suffix whether they be 2 character domains right through to domains made up of two, three, or even four words. Indeed the top domains are registered in almost all TLD's and ccTLD's. Most of these domains are perceived to have a value greater than the annual registration fee of the domain, yet as soon as a dash (hyphen) is introduced to a domain name it is then considered by many domainers to become almost worthless if not worthless, and this to a great extent is due to someone who I admire as generally talking a great deal of sense about domains, Rick Schwartz.

I have read numerous blogs and posts by Rick Schwartz over the years and although I am not sure it was he who first came up with the phrase 'radio test' the one thing for sure is that his usage of it has made it almost domaining lore when valuing a domain name - and this of course applies to dashed domain names. (I should say here that I use the term 'dash' or 'dashed' in preference to 'hyphen' or 'hyphened' much the same way that people have adapted to using the term 'dot' instead of 'full stop'). The 'radio test' is how people who might HEAR the domain on radio or aurally through some other means understand the address name. The inclusion of a 'dash' in a domain has for years been seen as failing the so-called 'radio test'.

Now there are several things to point out in favour of dashed domains that are generally ignored by many domainers, but due to lack of space per post (and the fact any readers of this might not want to read more than the minimum) I shall just list them.

• Most people are introduced to a website either through search engines or through clicking links in articles or emails.
  • Most businesses are small to medium businesses who cannot afford the top dollar premium domains that mainly large conglomerates buy but still want a descriptive domain/s for their business, this applies to businesses throughout the world including a growing number in the USA who are utilising dashed domains.
  • Predictive addressing in the address bar means that when a user has visited a site the predictive address is supplied in the address bar, and this includes the 'dash' in the address (I vistit the Cel-Robox site and as soon as I start typing the address the predictive address comes up with Cel-robox.com).
  • Owners of non-dashed domains should for defensive reasons alone acquire the dashed version, whilst competitors might want the dashed version to link through to their own site or launch a competing site (here I refer to non-TM domain names).
  • In many instances a dashed .com domain name should (IMO) be worth at least the value of the undashed .net domain name.
  • Multiple uses of single dashes such as with L-L-L.com or N-N-N.com are easily readable and memorable visually, so again these are valuable domains (perhaps seen by the current uptrend in registrations and snaps occuring). Again these will not be as valuable as a LLL.com or NNN.com but should I think be at least as valuable as the corresponding LLL.net or NNN.net.
Anyone want to make this a discussion?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Someone brought up Credit-Card. What do you think that's worth? If that got put through NameJet, what do you guys think it would fetch?

Good-conversation-btw

Sooo much money in the credit-card industry that it would seem pretty logical that it would be very pricey.
If I owned it, I wouldn't let it go for less than $1million.
Billion$ in credit change hands everyday so $1million might be low.

•••
Interesting I have 2--8 ....... cheers

Nice!
There's only 100 two number domains in that niche.

NN
N-N
N--N.com are the only two number domains you can own in .com!

Hang onto that domain. Good luck

•••
My question is what's the difference in the following domains?

These are all registered:
a-88.com
b-88.com
c-88.com
d-88.com
e-88.com
f-88.com
g-88.com
h-88.com
i-88.com
j-88.com
k-88.com
l-88.com
m-88.com
n-88.com
o-88.com
p-88.com
q-88.com
r-88.com
s-88.com
t-88.com
u-88.com
v-88.com
w-88.com
x-88.com
y-88.com
z-88.com

Most of these are available (some are now regged):
a--8.com - reg
b--8.com
c--8.com - reg
d--8.com
e--8.com - reg
f--8.com - reg
g--8.com
h--8.com
i--8.com - reg
j--8.com - reg
k--8.com
l--8.com - reg
m--8.com
n--8.com
o--8.com - reg
p--8.com
q--8.com - reg
r--8.com
s--8.com
t--8.com
u--8.com
v--8.com - reg
w--8.com
x--8.com - reg
y--8.com
z--8.com - reg

Yes, I understand the double 8's factor. What about the single 8? Are two hyphens worse than one? Maybe. But there are still only 260 L--N combos right? They're still short and they are very easy to remember.

And, if I type in, for example, u--2 in Google I'm still going to get results for the band, the spy plane, etc. Google sees U--2 as U2, O--2 as O2, G--6 as G6, etc. So, there is still opportunity for end users.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I just don't think you can go wrong with hyphens in short domains (< 5 characters and meaningful ). Not only are they rare and have meaning, but they are also easy to remember. This alone should give value to end users. I would much rather have an email address as [email protected] or [email protected] than a random 6N or 7N.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking 6N and 7N. I'm just saying that there is definite room for an appreciation in value of short hyphened domains.

•••
Not only are they rare and have meaning, but they are also easy to remember. This alone should give value to end users. I would much rather have an email address as [email protected] or [email protected] than a random 6N or 7N.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking 6N and 7N. I'm just saying that there is definite room for an appreciation in value of short hyphened domains.

I agree about the email address you stated.
Yes you can have xyz88.com and only have two numbers in the domain. My point about NN, N-N, and N--N is that the only character besides the hyphen is the two numbers.

L-N or L--N don't "LOOK" as good to me as the domains with just numbers and hyphens. Nor do they look as good as L-L or L--L domains. There is value there due to rarity with them all though.
Just my feelings on them.

•••
That way of thinking – undervaluing dashed domains by most domainers - is what enabled me to achieve a 100x rate of return on some dashed names. ROI at 13.000 % for best dashed domain sales is what makes them so interesting to me. Do not get me wrong – it does not mean that they sell easily – but that they present a good chance for profit if carefully chosen.

I firmly believe in opportunity, and true opportunity lies in uncovered (underestimated in this case) realms, where most investors do not bother to look. I invested a lot in L-premium_keyword.com combination (e-pizza, s-poker), and it appears to have been a good choice, my best sales come in this segment.

It is easy to invest in highly re-sellable commodity, like premium non-dashed domain, but the competition will decrease your return on investment by driving the acquisition price higher. Investing in dashed domains is not without risk, but keeping the base investment lower than with non-dashed helps mitigate such risk.

I have so much confidence in the future bullish trends of dashed domains that I began putting larger sums in new acquisitions.

But it is true that with dashed domains you need to be much more picky and careful at the moment. Good keywords are not everything in this case.

I am not happy to see – what I considered to be my secret knowledge – revealed in this thread… :D

•••
•••
good find, they set a $10M business on a dashed domain... I can't guess what a receipt-bank may be. There is also another startup Fit-Pay.com with $3,1 M on that list

oh, and mp3-songs .com auction is soon closing with no reserve and 1 bidder on Sedo, why don't all dash-domain-lovers prove your point by bidding insanely high on that? That would surely improve sales statistics - mostly mine statistics... ;) A self-fulfilling prophecy :D

•••
I've got one: Credit-Report / com. I opened an appraisal thread and only got two responses so far.

•••
The domain names with hyphen may be of value while the non hyphenated version isn't alive on the web. What would happen if both abc.com and a-b-c.com are up and running which one will google show? Both of them?

•••
whem I am referring to a hyphenated domain

I am talking about 1 hyphen max
not about "spamming" 4 word-word... domains

•••
Hmm I have never sold a hyphen domain, yet, but can see potential if in popular niche and sensible to the application.

So I registered this since reg sale on:

4-2-0.info
:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Hmm I have never sold a hyphen domain, yet, but can see potential if in popular niche and sensible to the application.

So I registered this since reg sale on:

4-2-0.info
:xf.rolleyes:

I bet you are going to delete it one day

•••
So tell me what makes u thee expert fg?

U r such a jerk its pathetic!

•••
@artstar

sorry

that was not kind of me
and I regret my post

•••
i own over 30+
n-n.info domains.

keeping them till i get better offers.

there are only 100 n-n.info combination.

•••
sold at sedo :

re-display.com 5,000 USD
12. Februar 2016 18:53

•••
IMHO the only reason to own a dashed domain name used to be for search engine ranking.

Now the big "G" does not do heavily weighted ranking, for exact match keywords.

I had owned both the dashed and the non dashed domains of very good keywords, at the same time. The dashed used to get more traffic than the non dashed.

Why? because the surfers could more easily make out the domain name with the dash, in the search engine listings.

•••
The example interbuyer gave is very interesting, it is one of those cases where the dashed domains is actually more recognizable and catchy to the eye than non-dashed equivalent.

Here is my subjective and biased look at dashed domains: I believe we could look at it from the point of view of end user, and that means: budget.
Having a certain amount of money to spend on best possible domain a businessman quickly discovers, that all obvious non-dashed options are regged and highly priced. He might than stand before a dashed domain, with lower price tag.

win.com for XX million or the-win.com for X thousand

To decide which one is best suited for his purpose , the end user should take into account which domain is:

- more memorable and catchy.

u-get.com or gogetwhatuwant.com or brandable like igoic.com

f-bus.com or fastbusservices.com

- more recognizable and easily parsable

consciousness-studies.com or consiousnessstudies.com

- unique: the domain should not be prone to be confused with other similar names.

bank-m.com or bestbankmortgages.com

n-large.com or enalrgewhatistosmall.com

- As short as possible.

f-safe.com or firesafetyathome.com

There are situations in which the end user should opt for a domain with a dash. A well-placed dash will make the name more discernible and understandable. That includes instances, where 2 or 3 same characters join two words in a domain, and make it confusing. In many cases a domain with a hyphen becomes easier understandable, recognizable and unique.

•••
I do know Germans love their hyphens and .online seems to be doing well over here so I picked up APP-STORE.ONLINE to test the waters, we will see how it does. the only other dashed one I have ever picked up is 114-8.com since 114.com went for big bucks and 8 is the lucky number, figured it was worth a shot.

•••
In my 10+ years of domaining I have often been mystified by the 'perceived wisdoms' within the domaining community, some had partial truths behind them whilst others obviously were almost totally without foundation and relied solely on repeating it often enough (usually by one or more of the big names in the domaining community) that they became ingrained in domaining lore in much the same way as an an urban myth develops. Today I am going to take on one of these perceived wisdoms, the lack of value of any domain containing a dash or hyphen.

It is evident that all the top domain names are registered in the .com suffix whether they be 2 character domains right through to domains made up of two, three, or even four words. Indeed the top domains are registered in almost all TLD's and ccTLD's. Most of these domains are perceived to have a value greater than the annual registration fee of the domain, yet as soon as a dash (hyphen) is introduced to a domain name it is then considered by many domainers to become almost worthless if not worthless, and this to a great extent is due to someone who I admire as generally talking a great deal of sense about domains, Rick Schwartz.

I have read numerous blogs and posts by Rick Schwartz over the years and although I am not sure it was he who first came up with the phrase 'radio test' the one thing for sure is that his usage of it has made it almost domaining lore when valuing a domain name - and this of course applies to dashed domain names. (I should say here that I use the term 'dash' or 'dashed' in preference to 'hyphen' or 'hyphened' much the same way that people have adapted to using the term 'dot' instead of 'full stop'). The 'radio test' is how people who might HEAR the domain on radio or aurally through some other means understand the address name. The inclusion of a 'dash' in a domain has for years been seen as failing the so-called 'radio test'.

Now there are several things to point out in favour of dashed domains that are generally ignored by many domainers, but due to lack of space per post (and the fact any readers of this might not want to read more than the minimum) I shall just list them.

• Most people are introduced to a website either through search engines or through clicking links in articles or emails.
  • Most businesses are small to medium businesses who cannot afford the top dollar premium domains that mainly large conglomerates buy but still want a descriptive domain/s for their business, this applies to businesses throughout the world including a growing number in the USA who are utilising dashed domains.
  • Predictive addressing in the address bar means that when a user has visited a site the predictive address is supplied in the address bar, and this includes the 'dash' in the address (I vistit the Cel-Robox site and as soon as I start typing the address the predictive address comes up with Cel-robox.com).
  • Owners of non-dashed domains should for defensive reasons alone acquire the dashed version, whilst competitors might want the dashed version to link through to their own site or launch a competing site (here I refer to non-TM domain names).
  • In many instances a dashed .com domain name should (IMO) be worth at least the value of the undashed .net domain name.
  • Multiple uses of single dashes such as with L-L-L.com or N-N-N.com are easily readable and memorable visually, so again these are valuable domains (perhaps seen by the current uptrend in registrations and snaps occuring). Again these will not be as valuable as a LLL.com or NNN.com but should I think be at least as valuable as the corresponding LLL.net or NNN.net.
Anyone want to make this a discussion?
I would never purchase the dashed versions of all of my domains just to protect them. The .net version is much stronger than a dashed domain. If you find a dashed domain name with massive amounts of traffic, the .com version of that domain name is likely going to benefit the most. Dashed domains are simply too tough to market/brand.

•••
Hyphens are very popular in Germany indeed. To support this statement let me give you some statistics.
Based on my database of over 5 mln domains being in use there are:
496,687 domains with '-' (more hyphens possible), which is 9,4 % of all domains in use
of which:

175,595 "com" 35,3 %
144,846 "de" 29,1 %
17,386 "org" 3,5%
14,730 "net" 2,9%
3,882 "info" 0,7%
1,036 "biz" 0,2%
139,212 others 28%

Now...
Statistics for domains with only one hyphen:
436,613 domains (8,2% of 5 mln set)
it's 87,9% of domains containing hyphens
151,992 "com"
122,419 "de"

Statistics for domains with 2 hyphens:
51,782 domains (0,9% of 5 mln set)
10,4% of domains containing hyphens
19,911 "de"
19,847 "com"

Statistics for domains with 3 hyphens:
6,382 with thee hyphens (0,1% of 5 mln set)
1,2% of domains containing hyphens
3,050 "com"
1,837 "de"
Stats for domains with 4 hyphens:
1,533 domains (0,02% of 5 mln set)
0,3% of domains containing hyphens
563 "com"
544 "de"

I hope this will help anyone.

Last edited:
•••
New
Hyphens are very popular in Germany indeed.

guys really:

that is not true
nobody cares about hyphens in germany ;)

but germans are not worried to use hyphens in a domain
if it makes sense! ( to a german )

•••
guys really:

that is not true
nobody cares about hyphens in germany ;)

but germans are not worried to use hyphens in a domain
if it makes sense! ( to a german )
Coming from someone one who has a hyphen in their German based user name?
:) Just giving you crap. What part are you from? I am near Kusel

•••
user name is not a domain name !

ab-in-den-urlaub ! ;)

but you are right
I didn't even notice ....

•••
GeolocationHotels.com is taken and forwards to a Canada-wide Hotel Booking affiliate site.
GeolocationHotels.ca is taken and has a Hotel booking site for the city "Geolocation"

My client owns Geolocation-Hotels.com and GeolocationHotels.net
Which one should he develop into a booking site ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back