IT.COM

discuss Are all domain valuation sites a joke !?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

doofer

Top Member
Impact
Just looking at domain valuations on GD valuation site & came across a domain that they value at $5,700, available to buy for a couple of hundred ! A quick look on freevaluator & the very same domain according to them is worth less than $50 !!

Are all domain valuation sites a complete joke !?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Data obtained from previous sales is not always relevant, even when relevant data is readily available.
the price is estimated, not a true value.They even warn you about that

•••
the price is estimated, not a true value.They even warn you about that
That much is a given. Especially if the tool does not include all available data. Duh!

•••
These valuators are what cause people to buy domains they should avoid

Like Jimbo has pointed out, these tools are nothing more than marketing vehicles to draw sales of domains and other domain-related services. This is especially truth about Nodaddy's appraisal tool. It exists for the purpose instilling a positive thought in the registrant's mind so as to facilitate the registration/bidding/buying of the domain.

In the case of estibot or other valuators, if they don't have domains to sell, they have something else. Like in the case if freevaluator, they want to sell you "professional" appraisals and appraisal certificates. There's nothing wrong with making a buck, of course, but you have to keep an eye on your wallet and your head out of the clouds.

Never confuse the brain with the heart. Buying decisions are best made with the brain, not the heart.

•••
Appraisal algorithms are designed to basically weigh in the popularity of the main keyword and to factor in any previous sale comps when available, but these tools are not AI (at least not at the present time) and as such don't have a deep understanding of the meaning and strength of the keywords and their correlation and position in the domain. The only people who might be able to give you a more accurate estimate of the value of a domain are probably experienced domainers and brokers who have been in this Industry for a long time, but even their opinions have to be taken with a grain of salt as they are not completely unbiased and are usually affected by their desire to protect their own investments (or who might want to buy the domain and sell it for more themselves). Currently the only way that you could estimate the potential value of a domain is for you to become an experienced domainer yourself, but even then you are just making an educated guess because in the real world what determines how much a domain is sold for is mainly the financial situation of both the buyer and the seller, that's why domainers who are well off and can afford to play hard to get can sell a domain in the five or six figures where as the same domain might sell for in the three or four figures when it's in the hands of a regular domainer. IMO

In the near future you might be able to ask for help from the AI to apprise your domain, and considering that someone else (perhaps an end-user or CEO) could have been asking the AI to find them a similar domain name then the AI can tell you exactly who might be interested in your domain and for how much. (now wouldn’t that be nice :) )

Last edited:
•••
🚩

The only entity that can tell you the exact value of a domain name is its owner.
Because he decides what it is worth to him.
No domain name - valuation - tool is able to know the owner's valuation.

Last edited:
•••
🚩

The only entity that can tell you the exact value of a domain name is its owner.
Because he decides what it is worth to him.
No domain name - valuation - tool is able to know the owner's valuation.

Personally, I think the value of a domain can be determined by:

1. Similar previous sales.
2. The demand (number of requests and how much the presumptive buyers are willing to pay).

But of course you can price your domain, villa, car or oil painting at any number. Even a ridiculously unrealistic one. ;)

•••
Give the bots a wallet and see what happens to appraisals. If bots were making offers they would be all nickle and dime. So the difference between bots and buyers is they arent buyers.

•••
Personally, I think the value of a domain can be determined by:

1. Similar previous sales.
2. The demand (number of requests and how much the presumptive buyers are willing to pay).
🚩

This is for those who don't know what they want for their domain nameee
And for those who don't know what they want to pay for the domain name that they want to buyyy

But of course you can price your domain, villa, car or oil painting at any number. Even a ridiculously unrealistic one. ;)
🚩

What can seem to be a ridiculously unrealistic price for the non owner can be a seriously realistic price to the ownerrr
The same amount of moey can be high / low for different peopleee

Last edited:
•••
Give the bots a wallet and see what happens to appraisals. If bots were making offers they would be all nickle and dime. So the difference between bots and buyers is they arent buyers.

One of the reasons why I created NameWorth was because like all of you, I'm a domain investor. I've been doing this for nearly 15 years, have built up to nearly $150k in sales every year, but like many domain investors, I've been held back by self limiting beliefs. When we do this, we end up projecting our values onto our customers. We think, well, just because I didn't buy a domain for more than $2,500 this year it is unlikely that my buyer will pay much more than a multiple of that.

But then you get reports of industry leaders like Mike Mann selling multiple domains per month in the $xx,xxx range. I realize he has a huge number of domains, but he doesn't get to those sales by pricing low, or because he is stuck on self limiting beliefs.

So in part NameWorth was developed to try and get us in the mindset of these industry leaders, or at least something in between. The tool isn't meant to to price domains for you, and it doesn't replace having experience in the domain industry, or a solid business acumen. But I would use it more in the way of...you decide on a price in your mind, then maybe run it through the tool to get a second opinion and from that maybe adjust your pricing up or down. I personally don't buy a domain, or sell a domain without it and I used it to purchase over 1,500 additional domains last year.

For reducing expenses, in this month alone, it has helped me identify 22 domains that I let drop for a savings of $187 per year.

I'm not disillusioned into thinking all my sales are going to be $xx,xxx now. But I'd like to increase the number of $xx,xxx sales that I do get. In past years, I consistently get 1-2 sales per year that could have easily been in the $xx,xxx range that I sold too cheap. Likewise, I have about 1-2 brandable sales per month that I feel like I'm giving away in the $1,500-$2,400 range.

Keep in mind, it is still at version 1.0 and there will be anomalies in the price. Some, maybe 1-2 out of 20 will be way off. But as the summer approaches, version 2.0 will be coming out and it will be even more accurate. But honestly, for English domains and short brandables, it currently has a very high level of accuracy.

For those that haven't used it, as an example here is a partial list of a previously published list of Mike Mann's sales from early 2018. This is about half of the list that was published for the month. As you can see, the tool is fairly accurate in all of the estimates below and what I would consider "in-the-ballpark". From here, you can easily get to Mike's sale price by either doubling the estimate, or cutting the estimate in half based on your own opinion. As a domain investor with over 15 years experience, I often can't beat the tool in estimates like this. So for me, the second opinion is welcome.

RenewableFuture.com
Actual Sales Price: $20,000
NameWorth: $12,500

RespiraVida.com
Actual Sales Price: $14,888
NameWorth: $7,450

TheHealingTree.com
Actual Sales Price: $20,000
NameWorth: $14,500

JamesGregory.com
Actual Sales Price: $19,888
NameWorth: $19,500

RevolutionResources.com
Actual Sales Price: $9,888

CryptoWorld.com - for crypto (hot market) you can still 3X or 4X the NameWorth estimate for now
Actual Sales Price: $195,000
NameWorth: $54,500

FiveStarApartments.com
Actual Sales Price: $16,000
NameWorth: $9,450

RanchAuction.com
Actual Sales Price: $8,500
NameWorth: $14,500

BasicsMarket.com
Actual Sales Price: $14,888

Last edited:
•••
All domain valuation sites will have their own metrics / standards along with own algorithm to evaluate the cost of domain which is based on its age / history / traffic as well as number of letters etc,..
But they will not be accurate always .
In simple a domain price entirely depends on the price the most prospective buyer willing to pay for it.
You can use domain evaluation tools to just know the prevailing rates based on the sales of similar domains in the past.

•••
What is premiumteaching.com worth?

•••
I hate seeing people post their estimated values with their names that they got for free... I can type random things and have it worth $2000.

•••
I hate seeing people post their estimated values with their names that they got for free... [...]
🚩

Maybe you hate it also when people who dig for gold, find someee

But you can assume that most of those who "found" (registered) a domain name, were digging (brainstorming / searching) for it in some wayyy
So they got it not for freee
They were using their time / knowledgeee

And for the case that they indeed got it for free - what is the problem???
Also things, that one got for (nearly) free, can have (immense) valueee

Last edited:
•••
Not all of them are a joke. As for the .coms I would say if you come up with a unique word not too long, that would be worth $1000 or so. If it is pronounceable then you can add another 1000 to it.

$2000 for a decent .com is good. Sometimes if at one point there was a site on that name, they may factor that into the price.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I just tried NameWorth. While of course no website can tell you exactly what a domain is worth, I have to say this one looks pretty cool. I particularly like that the values given are divided into different categories from selling to a company with cash to spend now right down to a liquidation sale.

I think it could be used as a supplement to your own valuation, which will always be the "correct" one.

•••
Are all domain valuation sites a joke !?

for sure, some of the values returned are laughable

but those who create the tools... are dead serious.

so, you think about the effects, that the intent has

obvious it seems, made to price a domain

is this a better pick and shovel or another like the same

but if there were none, then what would you use....

are you becoming dependent, on domain appraisal tools?

puff puff… ahh

imo...

•••
Depends on the information you get out of them data supplied rather than the number as none have a wallet. There are domain valuators and site valuators as site valuator rates aspects of site. There is no algorithm for great names given away or paying to much. Just check names sold There are prime keywords never offered as singular domains effecting perceived values as well.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Although the appraisal figures should be taken with a grain of salt, there are important data points they all must incorporate - as a group or select the metrics that (the dev) feels are most relevant in making price assumptions. I have 2 sites that will "auto" value your name for you - & they will return different results - as the algorithms are different. One looks at more domain indicators the other looks at marketing statistics - serving 2 completely different audiences. ( 1 the domain world, 2 the IM/SEO world).

But, what domain investors should get comfortable with - & decide what metrics work for & make sense to you and your niche. But at a very high level - get to know: (again, you replace the metric #s based on your experience)

1. Domain Age. The domain should be at least 1 year old. Don't buy any domain that is less than 1 year old - just hand reg in that case, haha.
  2. Moz Domain Authority (DA) 20. The domain should have a DA of 20 or more. The DA can (should?) be considered as the new PR. It is indeed a fairly solid indicator of the strength of the domain.
  3. Majestic Trust Flow (TF) (High Priority) 10 The domain should have a TF of 10 or more. Unlike other metrics, the TF is hard to manipulate, making it one of the most important metrics of all.
  4. Ahrefs Domain Rank (DR) (Optional) 20. The domain should have a DR of 20 or more. Also, ideally, the DR should be fairly close to the DA. If a domain has a high DA and a low DR, this is suspicious.
  5. Moz Page Authority (PA) (Optional) 20. The PA is like the DA, but it's the score of the page, while the DA is the score of the domain. You are more interested in the DA than the PA.
  6. Majestic Citation Flow (CF) (Optional) 10 The CF should be fairly close to the TF. If a domain has a high TF and a low CF, this is suspicious.
  7. Google PageRank (PR) The PR used to be an important metric, but it is now not relevant anymore, as Google hasn't updated this metric in years.
Next - Back-links, I dont know how to quickly bullet point the rundown on back-links. So, maybe another post later - but make sure you understand back-links & indexing.

•••
•••
•••
As most say, the data is good, the pricing can be simple psychological warfare for the owner of a name. the appraisals are useful though.

•••
Well for me, I think they are good to some extent. Personally I love GD appraisal for the fact that it shows related website that got sold for a closer price. It also gives reason for d valuation. To me, two things are important before selecting a name. 1. Pronunciability of d name and 2. Shortness of the name. After tha, I can go for appraisal. Don't base your domain buying on appraisal only.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back