IT.COM

debate AR Vs. VR - The gloves are off!

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Ar will be bigger than Vr, look it up!
It's not what you know, it's what the masses know. AR as it pertains to domains and branding isn't going to happen.

Virtual reality isn't even going to really hit the masses for a decade, or more, or never. The dollar amount of a specific niche industry doesn't equate to domains sold in that niche. It's an educated gamble at best for these types of investments. 99% of domains in this thread and similar threads are flushed money.

Careful kids!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
VR is a tech that will stay regardless of future tech emergence.

But MR is an evolving next step beyond VR. Devices being designed such as Hololens & Magic Leap are a totally differen't tech from VR and they will want their products/content to be distinguished from VR.

Microsoft are branding around both "holo" & "mr" because they want to put their product in a category that they will promote as being a step further than virtual reality.

It will be content that is in and can interact within "your" reality.

It is the headset companies themselves and tech industries that are pushing the MR keyword, they have got the option to brand around VR, but instead have chosen the buzzword that describes their technology and are insistent that they want it to be referred to as specifically "MR".

I am not a "MR" pusher, I have mostly VR names, a fair few "holo" domains, a few "AR" & "MR".

A few members of this forum have really dug deep in their research, contacted relevant companies for even an insider perspective and it all points to "MR" being the keyword of choice. Microsoft & Magic Leap themselves have insisted that they don't wan't to be associated with AR, MR is the term that defines what they are aiming for.

You seem as convinced as the new registries pushing new gtlds. It's the future apparently. While that might be the case, we should focus on tried and tested. VR has been around for 25 years in some form or another. It has clearly stood the test of time so far.

I wouldn't so quick to jump on anything that the big players are pushing for the moment. The scene is currently a battlefield of terminology. Of course I'm willing to eat my words should MR domains start flying off the shelves to end users. My gut says it's probably not going to happen. Forget Microsoft. Don't follow just one company. Follow what most of companies going with and that's VR. My gut feeling is MR isn't as catchy as VR and will not take off for domain names.

Of course you may totally disagree with me and I might be totally wrong.

Time will tell.

•••
You seem as convinced as the new registries pushing new gtlds. It's the future apparently. While that might be the case, we should focus on tried and tested. VR has been around for 25 years in some form or another. It has clearly stood the test of time so far.

I wouldn't so quick to jump on anything that the big players are pushing for the moment. The scene is currently a battlefield of terminology. Of course I'm willing to eat my words should MR domains start flying off the shelves to end users. My gut says it's probably not going to happen. Forget Microsoft. Don't follow just one company. Follow what most of companies going with and that's VR. My gut feeling is MR isn't as catchy as VR and will not take off for domain names.

Time will tell.

It is not just Microsoft, I used them as my example, but yes only time will tell.

I agree VR is a winner.

But VR is not holograms neither is it augmented or mixed reality. Both of these are differen't techs and will be branded seperately from VR.

But you are right, VR is the safest place to invest at the moment.

I am just stating that this thread is AR vs VR, but evidence is pointing more to VR vs MR.

•••

Time will tell.

@LucidDomains , while VR is a proven fact, should we really focus on whats be tried and tested? Isn't domaining in the field of emerging techs is about innovation, reaearch, gut and looking it the future making some bets on what you have found? I think it is.
MR might or might not work (for domains/as a term) but what we do is not different then the first guys that bought one word domains or VR/Cloud/pot domains..
Just in our case we will know if its working or not much faster then the other terms because VR is pushing it all into mainstream.

Cheers and Goodluck to everyone.

•••
Not sure why a problem, both are different ....... A.R ......extra info in the real world, V.R another kind of world. Apples and Oranges still taste good in a fruit punch

•••
Not sure why a problem, both are different ....... A.R ......extra info in the real world, V.R another kind of world. Apples and Oranges still taste good in a fruit punch

Yea well, the new arguement is about MR :)

•••
•••
AR, MR what? It's VR lol.

And even then the masses don't know.

•••
While I have had a hard time explaining the difference of VR / AR / MR / HOLO to the masses
Here I found someone who explains it better than I have made words for. .... yea... What He Said :-o
Hope that someone gets the idea that these are NOT competing formats.
But we all have spending limits. You buy the strongest interest you can afford that benefits your lifestyle.

Last edited:
•••
AR, MR what? It's VR lol.

And even then the masses don't know.
The Terminator told me
~
Vr is not Ar ........ Ar is a layer on existing reality , Vr is another reality all together

•••
•••
Virtual reality isn't even going to really hit the masses for a decade

ar will be triple the size of vr in time. I can wait can u?

I only have a few VR and AR domains. This thread has me rethinking the industry as it pertains to domains.

I'm not asking for an appraisal just looking to see if it makes since to renew the following two domains:

AR/Brain.com A CPU type deal or Brain for augmented reality.

VR
/Switch.com switch as a device for making and breaking the connection in an electric circuit.

•••
Its obvious that we all favor and talk on the domains that we got!!

VR domains holders (i got 200s) talk about VR. So does MR / AR / Holo / 3DVR / iVR / mVR domain holders!!

So, instead of splashing at each other we need to check the current talks / trends in Market / Media.
Only that will answer our questions. As far I see (just check this Video! He aint no domainer to defend any keyword but a techie that knows whats happening in Tech world out there!) Big Companies are insisting on MR to the Media, and Public follows!

What I see is a lot of MixedRealityDay in Europe, MixedRealityConference in Australia, MR in Chinese n Japanese Articles / Websites, Billion Dollar MR Startup in Florida and of course Microsoft is world wide (Acc to Microsoft Holograms + RealWorld = Mixed Reality)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is all about selling and making profit.

It's very easy to buy and keep on buying, but if you aren't working on your selling skills, why risk investing in unproven terminology.

Ask yourselves, how many domains have you sold? If the answer is less than 10, invest in whatever you want, but just be careful.

I'm not saying AR/MR won't overtake VR, but as of right now but intuition is saying stick with VR, that's all you'll ever need.

•••
Its obvious that we all favor and talk on the domains that we got!!

VR domains holders (i got 200s) talk about VR. So does MR / AR / Holo / 3DVR / iVR / mVR domain holders!!

So, instead of splashing at each other we need to check the current talks / trends in Market / Media.
Only that will answer our questions. As far I see (just check this Video! He aint no domainer to defend any keyword but a techie that knows whats happening in Tech world out there!) Big Companies are insisting on MR to the Media, and Public follows!

What I see is a lot of MixedRealityDay in Europe, MixedRealityConference in Australia, MR in Chinese n Japanese Articles / Websites, Billion Dollar MR Startup in Florida and of course Microsoft is world wide (Acc to Microsoft Holograms + RealWorld = Mixed Reality)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

You're in the wrong part of town buddy.

A little bit of splashing what this thread is all about. Check the name of this thread. :xf.wink:

•••
I havent sold 10 because i started 4 months ago, and working on sale skills is irrelevant. Im a sales man, my sales skills are good and done the adjustments required for the domains world.

Whats relevant is if you make the proper research before investing in a niche and we did.

Investing in VR is easy if you got the cash and know your way around. I dont have the cash so bought only about 20 VR regfees and the rest on other niches that are less crowded and have the potential in ny opinion .

•••
I havent sold 10 because i started 4 months ago, and working on sale skills is irrelevant. Im a sales man, my sales skills are good and done the adjustments required for the domains world.

Whats relevant is if you make the proper research before investing in a niche and we did.

Investing in VR is easy if you got the cash and know your way around. I dont have the cash so bought only about 20 VR regfees and the rest on other niches that are less crowded and have the potential in ny opinion .

Alright no worries, I hope you do well regardless of what approach you take.

Working on sales skills is never irrelevant, but good luck.

•••
Alright no worries, I hope you do well regardless of what approach you take.

Working on sales skills is never irrelevant, but good luck.

Irrelevant to the subject i meant of this thread :)

Ofcourse its big part of the process!

•••
•••
•••
I hear RR is making a come back as well. (REAL reality) :P

•••

Haha!!

A day will come, where we all have to PAY for Real Reality!

And i will be famous for this above quote of mine! :P

Cheers!

•••
I strongly feel VR is the Reality, MR is the near future & Holo if the medium to long term future.

•••
lol

Escapism is not new to this world, in fact we all do it almost every day.

Escapism is big business, whether you read a book, watch tv, listen to music, play video games, drink beer or even xxx.

VR is another form of escapism, perhaps the ultimate escape.

AR on the other hand is concerned with reality and how to enrich it as an experience.

•••
New born baby ........... "welcome to the world, here's your goggles and glasses. Now get to it"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back