IT.COM

debate AR Vs. VR - The gloves are off!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ar will be bigger than Vr, look it up!
It's not what you know, it's what the masses know. AR as it pertains to domains and branding isn't going to happen.

Virtual reality isn't even going to really hit the masses for a decade, or more, or never. The dollar amount of a specific niche industry doesn't equate to domains sold in that niche. It's an educated gamble at best for these types of investments. 99% of domains in this thread and similar threads are flushed money.

Careful kids!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To the mods that deleted the AR vs VR posts...

This type of conversation is essential. It is directly related to why virtual reality is or isn't at the forefront of the masses. Unless this is strictly a showcase thread, let us enjoy on topic chatter!

•••
VR! VR! VR!

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

•••
Its obvious that we all favor and talk on the domains that we got!!

VR domains holders (i got 200s) talk about VR. So does MR / AR / Holo / 3DVR / iVR / mVR domain holders!!

So, instead of splashing at each other we need to check the current talks / trends in Market / Media.
Only that will answer our questions. As far I see (just check this Video! He aint no domainer to defend any keyword but a techie that knows whats happening in Tech world out there!) Big Companies are insisting on MR to the Media, and Public follows!

What I see is a lot of MixedRealityDay in Europe, MixedRealityConference in Australia, MR in Chinese n Japanese Articles / Websites, Billion Dollar MR Startup in Florida and of course Microsoft is world wide (Acc to Microsoft Holograms + RealWorld = Mixed Reality)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
•••
I hear RR is making a come back as well. (REAL reality) :P
lol

Escapism is not new to this world, in fact we all do it almost every day.

Escapism is big business, whether you read a book, watch tv, listen to music, play video games, drink beer or even xxx.

VR is another form of escapism, perhaps the ultimate escape.

AR on the other hand is concerned with reality and how to enrich it as an experience.

•••
•••
It will have influence if hes the CEO, he said its in his opinion..that means a lot...I guess we have to wait and see (might use that good ol crystal ball Im supposed ot have :rolleyes:)

I would have been very surprised if Apple (joining the game as late as they are going to be) didn't go for one of the advancing tech's following on from virtual reality.

Virtual Reality will be awesome no doubt about it. But merging content with the physical world is where the tech will be at it's most exciting.

I am not saying one tech will be better than another. I am just saying it is a promising time for people invested across a few different niches :)

What Apple chooses will sale though (I don't need a crystal ball to guess that).

Last edited:
•••
What about just "R"? WTF happened to that?

•••
You seem as convinced as the new registries pushing new gtlds. It's the future apparently. While that might be the case, we should focus on tried and tested. VR has been around for 25 years in some form or another. It has clearly stood the test of time so far.

I wouldn't so quick to jump on anything that the big players are pushing for the moment. The scene is currently a battlefield of terminology. Of course I'm willing to eat my words should MR domains start flying off the shelves to end users. My gut says it's probably not going to happen. Forget Microsoft. Don't follow just one company. Follow what most of companies going with and that's VR. My gut feeling is MR isn't as catchy as VR and will not take off for domain names.

Of course you may totally disagree with me and I might be totally wrong.

Time will tell.

It is not just Microsoft, I used them as my example, but yes only time will tell.

I agree VR is a winner.

But VR is not holograms neither is it augmented or mixed reality. Both of these are differen't techs and will be branded seperately from VR.

But you are right, VR is the safest place to invest at the moment.

I am just stating that this thread is AR vs VR, but evidence is pointing more to VR vs MR.

•••
I hear RR is making a come back as well. (REAL reality) :P

Haha!!

A day will come, where we all have to PAY for Real Reality!

And i will be famous for this above quote of mine! :P

Cheers!

•••
ar will be triple the size of vr in time.
Ask people that don't buy domains or don't work in the tech industry what AR is. They will have no clue.

Again, this isn't what NP members and industry insiders know, it's about the world knowing. Right now, they don't care.

•••
What is AR?
Bet the majority of people in any give mall in the usa would not have an answer.
What is VR?
More would know this, probably not much, but enough.

Now in both, if you asked what is Augmented Reality vs Virtual Reality?
You better believe you will find a lot of people who know the second one!

But you go on with AR.
Keep in mind, this is a VR thread.
AR has it's own thread.
SO go there and push AR, not here.

•••
What is AR?
Bet the majority of people in any give mall in the usa would not have an answer.
What is VR?
More would know this, probably not much, but enough.

Now in both, if you asked what is Augmented Reality vs Virtual Reality?
You better believe you will find a lot of people who know the second one!

But you go on with AR.
Keep in mind, this is a VR thread.
AR has it's own thread.
SO go there and push AR, not here.
Most people could give an educated answer if you asked them what virtual reality is. Less than 10% would have a clue about what augmented reality is.

•••
@Eric Lyon well, if so then You should make it a AR/VR/MR.

Soon everyone will know about this one.

•••
•••
Yep, lots of terms but at the moment VR is the big thing with MR to follow as it delvers a different experience for different uses.

The other terms might get stuck in the corporate glue, so they never really get used outside of a certain brand?

•••
I am just backing three terms really:

Virtual Reality (VR)
Mixed Reality (MR)
Holographic (Holo)

I have got a few AR, but MR seems to be picking up speed nicely so have backed that more.

•••
•••
Yup, all the big companies which were originally quoting AR are now referring to themselves as MR in all the reputable sources.

i think someone predicted this one B-)

•••
•••
•••
VR is a tech that will stay regardless of future tech emergence.

But MR is an evolving next step beyond VR. Devices being designed such as Hololens & Magic Leap are a totally differen't tech from VR and they will want their products/content to be distinguished from VR.

Microsoft are branding around both "holo" & "mr" because they want to put their product in a category that they will promote as being a step further than virtual reality.

It will be content that is in and can interact within "your" reality.

It is the headset companies themselves and tech industries that are pushing the MR keyword, they have got the option to brand around VR, but instead have chosen the buzzword that describes their technology and are insistent that they want it to be referred to as specifically "MR".

I am not a "MR" pusher, I have mostly VR names, a fair few "holo" domains, a few "AR" & "MR".

A few members of this forum have really dug deep in their research, contacted relevant companies for even an insider perspective and it all points to "MR" being the keyword of choice. Microsoft & Magic Leap themselves have insisted that they don't wan't to be associated with AR, MR is the term that defines what they are aiming for.

You seem as convinced as the new registries pushing new gtlds. It's the future apparently. While that might be the case, we should focus on tried and tested. VR has been around for 25 years in some form or another. It has clearly stood the test of time so far.

I wouldn't so quick to jump on anything that the big players are pushing for the moment. The scene is currently a battlefield of terminology. Of course I'm willing to eat my words should MR domains start flying off the shelves to end users. My gut says it's probably not going to happen. Forget Microsoft. Don't follow just one company. Follow what most of companies going with and that's VR. My gut feeling is MR isn't as catchy as VR and will not take off for domain names.

Time will tell.

•••

Time will tell.

@LucidDomains , while VR is a proven fact, should we really focus on whats be tried and tested? Isn't domaining in the field of emerging techs is about innovation, reaearch, gut and looking it the future making some bets on what you have found? I think it is.
MR might or might not work (for domains/as a term) but what we do is not different then the first guys that bought one word domains or VR/Cloud/pot domains..
Just in our case we will know if its working or not much faster then the other terms because VR is pushing it all into mainstream.

Cheers and Goodluck to everyone.

•••
Not sure why a problem, both are different ....... A.R ......extra info in the real world, V.R another kind of world. Apples and Oranges still taste good in a fruit punch

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back