Domain Empire

Applying your URL to search engines

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I heard you're suppose to formally file an application to search engines so that they can register or have knowledge of your domain name. Is this true?

For example: the Traffic Blazer service that GoDaddy.com offers. It is a year-round service that you can purchase so that you can "turn in" your domain name to hundreds of search engines.

Onced you have turned in an application to register your domain name in the search engine, your domain will be finally searchable in their engine.

My question: Is this true? Is it necessary? What's the benefit in turning in an application?

Thanks.

PantigBox

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well if by application you mean submitting, then yes, there is a certain procedure that you can follow to have your site indexed by a search engine. However, it is rarely successful.

Major search engines have different ways of indexing sites, and determining how much of a site they will index.

eg - Google
You can submit your site to the queue, which dispatches eventually a 'googlebot' to your site. This 'googlebot' then travels along your links and gathers data that may be indexed [after scrutiny]. If you have links pointing towards your site from other sites, when a 'googlebot' visits their site, it can follow the link to your site and reassess it for indexing. The more 'googlebots' that you have around initially, often decreases your first search engine appearance waiting time.

Never pay a company to submit your site, there are numerous ways to do this yourself for free. Most webmasters choose to try and 'link bait' or attract links to their content if they wish to get indexed quickly.

Also consider generating a google sitemap and submitting it.

Submit to Google
http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

Google Sitemaps
http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/siteoverview?hl=en

•••
Thanks for your response.

What's an example of link bait?

•••
Pantigbox said:
Thanks for your response.

What's an example of link bait?

Link bait is more getting users to your site, and getting other sites to link to you by having interesting content. It could be through breaking news, fun games or images and quality information.

•••
There is no need to submit your site to search engines., Dont believe anyone saying that they will submit your site to hunderds/thousands/lakhs/millions of search engines .,

Submit to a few good directories which have good/decent page rank and invest that money in link building with quality/related/authoritative sites, you wil automatically get into all the searchengines.

Also create a blog (like i did with www.indianjobs.in) and start posting content and add those content pages to all social bookmarking sites and have a link back to your website. This will automatically get your site to all searchengines.

You can also hire someone to submit to directories having good PR (this wil save your time and also now-a-days, you can easily find someone doing this service for 10$ or less).

Hope this helps.,
Sarathy.s

•••
Thanks!

You guys have awesome responses and suggestions. I like the blog idea and the insertion of interesting content. I'll work on that soon!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back