Domain Empire

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's it! Gone. I checked whois and it's showing someone else so I guess I'm getting my money back. GD sucks

•••
•••
If anyone has a couple grand to commit, I'm in possession of a healthy list of incredible one-words (still available).

I'm looking for serious JV only, as there's a lot of money to be made in the event that the extension does even alright..

•••
Why would anyone do a preorder instead of just paying to register right away? Anything good has premium cost and renewal anyways.
Godaddy pre-orders executed upon GA open in the past, there is no way you would have got a hand reg off quicker, given that pre-reg, and hand reg were same price on GA opening day in only made sense to pre-order, but their systems failed, and something stalled out, and pre-reg, nor hand reg were going thru.

•••
Why didn’t you just go buy the domains you wanted via the early order program? I did

I did. For my better names like entertainment.app, socialmedia.app, maui.app tix.app etc I paid EAP. Then I had tier 2 names that I wanted quantity like drivethru.app that I thought I would get that Godaddy crapped out on.

•••
Godaddy pre-orders executed upon GA open in the past, there is no way you would have got a hand reg off quicker, given that pre-reg, and hand reg were same price on GA opening day in only made sense to pre-order, but their systems failed, and something stalled out, and pre-reg, nor hand reg were going thru.
Take Washington.app. You can reg it right now for about $1k and renew for about $1k a year. But it was priced the same yesterday and you could skip preorder and just buy it then. Why mess around?

•••
Why would anyone do a preorder instead of just paying to register right away? Anything good has premium cost and renewal anyways.
It is similar to a domain drop service like Dropcatch. Considering there are several eyeing for that domain, if you do register it with a good domain dropping site, that domain will be instantly picked and assigned to the
Take Washington.app. You can reg it right now for about $1k and renew for about $1k a year. But it was priced the same yesterday and you could skip preorder and just buy it then. Why mess around?
Likewise Planet.app was available just 40 mins back at $499. Checked just now, its gone.

•••
I have 1 that I'm regretting not pre-ordering, but if it ever sold, it wouldn't be much. In the long run, I'll be glad that I didn't preregister it.

I like the thrill... waiting to see if the domain(s) becomes mine with the rest of the common folk.

•••
You might think names are worth a $20 gamble, but not a $120 gamble. It's a 6X difference.

I did pay up to buy several names prior to general availability, but others I wanted to try and get cheaper, and would've gotten a few if GoDaddy hadn't malfunctioned.

•••
I have 1 that I'm regretting not pre-ordering, but if it ever sold, it wouldn't be much. In the long run, I'll be glad that I didn't preregister it.

I like the thrill... waiting to see if the domain(s) becomes mine with the rest of the common folk.
Yup. There is some thrill in it

•••
You might think names are worth a $20 gamble, but not a $120 gamble. It's a 6X difference.

I did pay up to buy several names prior to general availability, but others I wanted to try and get cheaper, and would've gotten a few if GoDaddy hadn't malfunctioned.
Probably its not a malfunction. Probably GD was never designed to be a quick domain picker. Todays experience will tell us which registrar is quick to catch new released domains.

•••

^ This. I had a list of primo primo stuff that was $20. Tons of good 3 / 4 letter words & amazing 1 & 2 word everyday phrases that worked with .app extension. Spent some time digging around and was shocked to see some of this stuff was $20 but others were $60/$125/$250/$1000. I'm happy I paid the $100 extra late into EAP for maui.app but like Nat said, the math is I couldve had 6 of these other names for the price of one maui.app and the names were pretty close in value. Even if Godaddy hits on 1/3 of the names (which who even knew if anyone else was preregged) I make more money with less upfront cost.

•••

I think if I was going to spend $20 on a domain I’d gladly pay $120 if that’s what was needed to acquire it.

•••
Even if I did, I don't think they are executing registrations yet. Yesterday it was $1xx more, which was the last day of EAP.

Good news it's only $878 at Uniregistry

There is some crazy money being thrown around in this extension, if you can grab a good name for $16 roll the dice, but most of the stuff is $500+, I keep recommending to people to stay away.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Even if I did, I don't think they are executing registrations yet.

Good news it's only $878 at Uniregistry

There is some crazy money being thrown around in this extension, if you can grab a good name for $16 roll the dice, but most of the stuff is $500+, I keep recommending to people to stay away.
Registrations have been executing for days. Washington would hit your account immediately if you paid for it.

•••
marijuana.app is taken by Ghost Group - Weedmaps who paid 4.2m for marijuana.com; they now have the matching pair.

Also Berkens took Vape.app

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think if I was going to spend $20 on a domain I’d gladly pay $120 if that’s what was needed to acquire it.

OK. Good for you, I guess?

•••
I did the same. I picked myworld/app at $210 in EAP. Being a premium domain, its cost even during normal registration ( today) showed as $120. Hence, paid extra and registered it at EAP itself

•••

Ya, if you wanted "a domain." Some of us are looking at lists of a few hundred domains so it adds up.

When .online went live I'd say I got at least half of my pre-registered names and those were even better names than the ones I went for with .app.

Granted .app is a better extension than .online, but .online came out years ago when GTLDs were relatively new and there was a lot more "what if" potential.

I haven't sold any of those - names like diapers.online, directions.online, appraise.online. lock.online, I could go down the list. So paying $120 on .app is a much bigger gamble than $20.

•••
OK. Good for you, I guess?
Why mess around over $100? Are you saying you would pay $20 for a domain that’s not worth $100? Why buy any domain like that?

You should buy domains you think have potential to sell for thousands of dollars...

•••
Registrations have been executing for days. Washington would hit your account immediately if you paid for it.
Yes, agreed it would have on day of EAP it would have hit for $999 renewal plus day 5 EAP fee of $1xx.

You can prebook pre-reg for $16.99 days out, at which point if multiple people acquire either they go to auction, or first come scenario. That is the whole business, fear, so the next guy doesn't get it, the EAP did very well in this release. People paid many thousands for the names they had on their radar, and stepped up early.

I understand what you are saying if you want to pay $20 for your name, just step up and pay the $1xx EAP fee, fair enough, but I am not sold on .app, it still has to establish an aftermarket, and app developers are creative, and have many outlets to use for alts. I have enough private app sales, that I can screen out what I have sold, and cross reference it and see what simple reg fee I can wager them on. Since that data is with me, I can take the risk, as to be honest $20, and $120 is a big difference to me as this wager has a very high risk of going bust, the odds are with the house on this one. That is what many here are probably thinking, if we get it for reg fee great, or if someone else wants to step up and pay $1xx, and take a gamble, good on them.

Last edited:
•••
Why mess around over $100? Are you saying you would pay $20 for a domain that’s not worth $100? Why buy any domain like that?

You should buy domains you think have potential to sell for thousands of dollars...
... or you plan on using (you forgot to add that)

•••
Ya, if you wanted "a domain." Some of us are looking at lists of a few hundred domains so it adds up.

When .online went live I'd say I got at least half of my pre-registered names and those were even better names than the ones I went for with .app.

Granted .app is a better extension than .online, but .online came out years ago when GTLDs were relatively new and there was a lot more "what if" potential.

I haven't sold any of those - names like diapers.online, directions.online, appraise.online. lock.online, I could go down the list. So paying $120 on .app is a much bigger gamble than $20.
That’s a big rookie mistake. Nobody should buy hundreds of domains in any new extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back