IT.COM

question App and domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
With the new era of apps, people who own and maintain apps on the Play Store as a means of doing business usually own the related websites as well.
There are a number of companies that are app-only but they also run the website and own the related domain name even if the website only has a link to their app on the Play Store and the App Store.

Having said that, I also see that .app has 700,000 plus registrations and 92 sales adding up to $500,000 plus is what we are looking at.
When it comes to owning an app, wouldn't these people be doing SEO on the Play or the App Store instead of making a website to put a link to the apps?
I see that .app is crazily popular and ranks 11th on ntldstats.com which is the website dedicated to tracking new gTLDs numbers.

What I do not understand is why would someone use a .app domain and/or put up a website when their main source of business is the app that they have listed?
Does it help in gaining traction or is it just because it is usually considered a norm to own a website alongside the app that you run?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some apps don't need websites but they do need domains, so it makes sense to use .app. For example your app needs to connect to a database, you could of course use an IP but what if you change servers? A rudimentary website pointing visitors to android/ios app stores is always a good idea and arguably blahblah.app might work better than getblahblah.com for this purpose

•••
What I do not understand is why would someone use a .app domain and/or put up a website when their main source of business is the app that they have listed?
Does it help in gaining traction or is it just because it is usually considered a norm to own a website alongside the app that you run?
If someone's developed an app, say using the android or ios mobile platform, the transition to its www home (which needs a domain name) might be easier and better trusted from a user point of view if the ExampleApp uses the matching domain; Example.App. It would be an easy click for the user to go to the browser-based version/url, given the option.

Also .app domains require an https connection to resolve, so for support or other more complex servicing it could make sense to have it paired up.

Other than that though, apps are just apps I guess inherently they are made to be simple so it does seem counter-intuitive having a .app domain if the end result is going to be a mobile app with no developed internet site. I don't think you can forward a domain name to an app.

•••
Some apps don't need websites but they do need domains, so it makes sense to use .app. For example your app needs to connect to a database, you could of course use an IP but what if you change servers? A rudimentary website pointing visitors to android/ios app stores is always a good idea and arguably blahblah.app might work better than getblahblah.com for this purpose
Valid point!

If someone's developed an app, say using the android or ios mobile platform, the transition to its www home (which needs a domain name) might be easier and better trusted from a user point of view if the ExampleApp uses the matching domain; Example.App. It would be an easy click for the user to go to the browser-based version/url, given the option.

Also .app domains require an https connection to resolve, so for support or other more complex servicing it could make sense to have it paired up.

Other than that though, apps are just apps I guess inherently they are made to be simple so it does seem counter-intuitive having a .app domain if the end result is going to be a mobile app with no developed internet site. I don't think you can forward a domain name to an app.
Correct. I think either it is something that people as an addition or extension to the main product (say some kind of forward or to display something) or they keep it for putting up Privacy Policy etc. I believe

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back