Dynadot

.app Why .app?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Looks like Google are going to recoup a lot of their investment in this new gtld.

.app is just another ngtld why is it so popular with domainers throwing money at each and every keyword(s)?

The simplest way, or at least the way I look for an app is to search - you got it, Google,which invariably takes me to Google playstore and a large list of apps that meet my requirements.
It is unlikely that I would type in my browser Whatever.app to find what I need so would others do so, particularly as the majority of the world outside of the domain community will not even know what .app means.

Now searching for whatever app may actually take me to Whatever.app on Google playstore but it will be in the long list of other whatever apps, so what is the advantage?

Just askin.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know. It's called gambling. Similar to investing in stocks that have a new business concept. When bitcoin came out the same questions were in peoples minds.

•••
It started well with google, then like any hot stock got hotter and hotter.

•••
Maybe Google will redirect the .app's to their Playstore for the app of the matter if there is one. Maybe they'll invite their boyfriend Appstore to join in. Maybe. The pressure is on.

•••
Looks like Google are going to recoup a lot of their investment in this new gtld.

.app is just another ngtld why is it so popular with domainers throwing money at each and every keyword(s)?

The simplest way, or at least the way I look for an app is to search - you got it, Google,which invariably takes me to Google playstore and a large list of apps that meet my requirements.
It is unlikely that I would type in my browser Whatever.app to find what I need so would others do so, particularly as the majority of the world outside of the domain community will not even know what .app means.

Now searching for whatever app may actually take me to Whatever.app on Google playstore but it will be in the long list of other whatever apps, so what is the advantage?

Just askin.
It will bring revolution. Download from app domains will give you lot of information which are not available in app store. E.g. Developer spend how much time to built the app? Also every sites e.g. Apple, Amazon etc. are actually app and nothing else. They will realize it soon and join the revolution soon by changing their domain.

By the way .app extension is relevant in few circumstances.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe Google will redirect the .app's to their Playstore for the app of the matter if there is one. Maybe they'll invite their boyfriend Appstore to join in. Maybe. The pressure is on.
You can simply redirect the download button to App Store. No need for google to do anything. If their is anything new. The same function would go for any tld.

•••
You can simply redirect the download button to App Store. No need for google to do anything. If their is anything new. The same function would go for any tld.

What a lot of people aren’t realizing is with this .app extension it will make a lot of consumers feel more comfortable and aware based off marketing that the content they are viewing related to a mobile app.

Plus the abilities to put pixel within the .app to track who clicks and their behavior and location allows us to build lookalikes where as referring people directly to App Store doesn’t give us that.

Any app developer would choose .app over .com for the first time ever as it makes the product so much more appealing to advertise.

As you see on social media people advertise their apps as “calm app” “airtime app” “uber app” “tinder app” it can now be put together with meaning. Consumers will see .app more than ever and any other tld when it comes to social media advertisements aswell.

•••
What a lot of people aren’t realizing is with this .app extension it will make a lot of consumers feel more comfortable and aware based off marketing that the content they are viewing related to a mobile app.

Plus the abilities to put pixel within the .app to track who clicks and their behavior and location allows us to build lookalikes where as referring people directly to App Store doesn’t give us that.

Any app developer would choose .app over .com for the first time ever as it makes the product so much more appealing to advertise.

As you see on social media people advertise their apps as “calm app” “airtime app” “uber app” “tinder app” it can now be put together with meaning. Consumers will see .app more than ever and any other tld when it comes to social media advertisements aswell.

First, good luck ranking single landing page out of the app review sea.

If google would do any thing to help an app stand out, it would be result of the actual app, regardless of the extension. Besides when I type in "keyword app" google wouldn't know I meant to search some app or app review. So the seo optimizing is limited.

When people visit an app landing page, we have no problem knowing it's an app landing page.

•••
First, good luck ranking single landing page out of the app review sea.

If google would do any thing to help an app stand out, it would be result of the actual app, regardless of the extension. Besides when I type in "keyword app" google wouldn't know I meant to search some app or app review. So the seo optimizing is limited.

When people visit an app landing page, we have no problem knowing it's an app landing page.

Be prepared to be surprised.

Google “cash” nothing else. The amount of bonus points google is giving to .app and the fact that it’s https only.

This tld just released, watch how many of them rank very well over the coming months. This isn’t about just landing pages more so than the direction things are going towards mobile web apps (PWA’s).

•••
People are buying because it's fashionable and they are following the herd, but there is very little upside in this extension.
And to think that the majority of those names will be dropped soon...

Now imagine if domainers teamed up together and pooled their disposable income toward the acquisition of a few select domain names, rather than waste money on handregs or EAP domains.
Their financial position could turn out to be very different.

Last edited:
•••

Just what Dotmobi said about people finding or trusting mobile content using .mobi domains. And they had Google and Microsoft and Visa as financial backers and still went bust.

•••
•••
As I understand, Google makes most of its money from advertising on the web, and is a strong backer of PWA (Progressive Web App) to encourage more use of the web. PWA may increasingly be more attractive than native apps for developers (one version for all) and consumers (looks the same UI but no download-install-upgrade cycle). There is no need to use a specific domain extension such as .app.

Just what Dotmobi said about people finding or trusting mobile content using .mobi domains.
Just what I was going to say.

Last edited:
•••
I vote for .bn ( BN )

Might be good for Blockchain 🤓

.app make for me a little sense

•••
.app has a chance because basically every startup is now app based and will never get a good .com name. aesthetically .app is better than .mobi, and is also a better word. thats like comparing .net to .network or .online to .onl. i decided to invest a bit because this is going to be the most used & most marketed gtld which will hopefully draw in more interest down the road when .app becomes scarcer.

2 others reason - its backed by google (i mean they had a live webcast yesterday that was attended, its not like donuts could do this for .shoes) & they actually released most of the names and for fairly respected prices.

•••

Very good point about app developers advertising apps as "brand app".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back