IT.COM

Anyone familiar with Joomla?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm having an issue with a joomla site - I have moved it from one host to another,
Changed nameservers...
copied all the site files, and downloaded them to my computer
exported DB and copied it to Desktop
Imported the DB to the new host - kept the name the same
Uploaded all the files to the new host

It worked all weekend, so we removed the account from the previous host
and all of a sudden the site stopped working and the message says
Cannot connect to DataBase :-/

anyone know anything about Joomla and knows what's happened?
Thanks
:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone?

Is there a separate installer I am supposed to run?

•••
Sounds like your configuration file config.php was pointing at an IP as address for your mysql.

•••
any idea how to fix it?

I have already completely removed it from the hosting acct
and I set-up a new one today, uploaded all the files, created the DB
and it still says "Cannot connect to DataBase"

the config looks like it has the correct info in it as the message used to say
that above, but now it says
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

soooooo gonna beat my head against the wall now >:(

•••
Hmm try overwriting the .htaccess file and also check the config.php file once again to make sure everything is right.

Other then that see if there are some new entries in errorlog file.

That would give much more info :)

•••
And if nothing works shoot me a PM and I will be glad to try and sort it out for you :)

Thanks.

•••
any idea how to fix it?
that above, but now it says
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

It's difficult to diagnose the problem without seeing the patient! Have you talked to someone at your new hosting provider?

The above is sometimes because you need to set your IndexDirectory properties to include index.php. Apache might not find it and will not list the directory (better than allowing). That doesn't explain how it worked before but not today.

Check the configuration.php - make sure that any directories are valid and usable (I think it's the log? that's in there?) It's been a while since I used Joomla - I got fed up with crappy support on modules that were all on the pay model.

How did you copy the files? If you tarred them up on the server and moved that then permissions are retained. If you copied them to a windows machine individually then permissions may have got toasted.

•••
Hmm try overwriting the .htaccess file and also check the config.php file once again to make sure everything is right.

Other then that see if there are some new entries in errorlog file.

That would give much more info :)
Thanks Nick, I forgot about that one, just did it and it didn't work. :(

And if nothing works shoot me a PM and I will be glad to try and sort it out for you :)

Thanks.

I have contacted someone to have a look, he's great but joomla is not his specialty, so fingers crossed.
If this doesn't work - I may take you up on that PM ;)

It's difficult to diagnose the problem without seeing the patient! Have you talked to someone at your new hosting provider?

The above is sometimes because you need to set your IndexDirectory properties to include index.php. Apache might not find it and will not list the directory (better than allowing). That doesn't explain how it worked before but not today.

Check the configuration.php - make sure that any directories are valid and usable (I think it's the log? that's in there?) It's been a while since I used Joomla - I got fed up with crappy support on modules that were all on the pay model.

How did you copy the files? If you tarred them up on the server and moved that then permissions are retained. If you copied them to a windows machine individually then permissions may have got toasted.

I don't like joomla either - it doesn't do what you want it to do, it does what it wants LOL

I have contacted someone so we'll see what happens, thanks for the replies :)

•••
It might be a permissions problem that happened when you migrated files over. Worth a check.

•••
Thanks for the replies. Got it sorted out.

The joomla was very old and I wasn't aware of it
after trying many things - it was suggested I do the upgrades to the joomla by release
I did a few and now it works ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back