IT.COM

question Anyone bought a domain from RealNames.com (Tucows) ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Hi

I have my eye on a domain, unfortunately it is owned by RealNames.com a service of Tucows

I would like to know if anyone on here has approached Tucows/RealNames.com in the past to try and buy a domain that they are using for this service and what was the result?

It looks nigh on impossible to get one of these domains from them as they are being used for email addresses for their customers......

Don't really want to waste my time reaching out only to be dismissed out of hand, which looks very likely......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ah, I remember them from before the domain was repurposed to the email provider it is today. I think it'll be hard to obtain a domain from them.

Sometimes these services close down and they'll drop names. Usually as long as there's a single user using the domain for their email you're screwed. A single user covers the registration, they are owned by a parent that has the infrastructure anyway so no additional cost.

Some backstory: https://domainnamewire.com/2014/12/11/new-realnames/

•••
Ah, I remember them from before the domain was repurposed to the email provider it is today. I think it'll be hard to obtain a domain from them.

Sometimes these services close down and they'll drop names. Usually as long as there's a single user using the domain for their email you're screwed. A single user covers the registration, they are owned by a parent that has the infrastructure anyway so no additional cost.

Some backstory: https://domainnamewire.com/2014/12/11/new-realnames/
Thanks...

That's what I thought. 1 user = costs covered....The domain I was looking at was a Geo with good backlinks so probably has more than 1 user in any case...

Oh well back to the drawing board....

•••
I have asked them before on their live chat and they have told me the name(s) weren't for sale. I've tried quite a few times but I haven't taken it any further than their live chat.

•••
I have asked them before on their live chat and they have told me the name(s) weren't for sale. I've tried quite a few times but I haven't taken it any further than their live chat.
Live chat is an interesting way of doing it, only problem with that it's probably not a senior decision maker replying back.....could be wrong, depending on how many staff they have working for them....

•••
Live chat is an interesting way of doing it, only problem with that it's probably not a senior decision maker replying back.....could be wrong, depending on how many staff they have working for them....
I spoke to Tucows chat, not RealNames, but even so you're quite right, not anywhere near a decision maker.

•••
Best way is to place an backorder for your desired domain (and wait) as Realnames is just an personalized email services on custom domain owned by them, and if that name/surname is not popular, they may some day drop it off from their portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back