NameSilo

question Alternatives to Escrow.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed today upon logging into my escrow.com account that they are now requiring that all customers provide them with copies of government issued ID's. I'm not interested in trusting these people to securely store documents that could be used to steal my identity especially since they're now a foreign-owned company and also because they no longer seem terribly on the ball. Anyone have experience with some of the alternatives?

I know that snapnames and sedo offer escrow, but I've never tried either of them. Are they any good? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
True, it depends on how much you spend... the thing I find with Epik is that depending on what other web services you provide, you may not want to send customers over to them, because then you could lose them for other revenue; or they get attracted by other Epik services, and then they spend their money on some other Epik service instead of on your domain. It just depends on the seller and buyer though.

•••
With Epik you may also lease your domains...

•••
EPIK charges 5% to disburse funds to paypal which I find outrageous.
There is also ECOP which I haven't tried.

•••
@Start - I appreciate the info about Dynadot, the point of this thread was to share options, then it is up to everyone to see what is the best fit for their own situation.

I agree with @Jurgen Wolf - it would be my preference to at least have the option to withdraw, even if that means I have a fee. I do use the Dynadot API for dropcatching, so in my case that is something I don't mind having a slightly higher cost on COM

Another one I just thought of is @namesilo although I have not used it. If the name is registered at NameSilo you can set up a private marketplace listing with password and BIN for your buyer only. They charge 7.5% and pay out by Account Funds, PayPal or Wire Transfer within 7 days of payment receipt. Buyer Payment Methods - Credit/debit card, PayPal, Bitcoin, Skrill, Dwolla, wire
https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Marketplace

What happend to EscrowHill?

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/greenberg-lieberman-acquires-escrowhill-online-escrow-application/

•••
EPIK charges 5% to disburse funds to paypal which I find outrageous.
There is also ECOP which I haven't tried.

I tried them (ECOP) once couple of years ago, not sure what is going on now. But they offered PayPal as disbursement method at no fee under $500 if I remember correctly, and they also had built-in chat for buyer/seller communication which was great feature.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, that's true, but I mentioned that in my first post.

I was just looking at Sedo more closely, and realized I should have been using them instead of Escrow.com anyway... they are actually cheaper than Escrow.com for transactions under $25,000 (Escrow.com is 3.25%, Sedo is 3%)

Plus:

- They can payout in PayPal for free (Escrow.com only does within the US)
- Or they can payout via ACH for free to the US or Canada (Escrow.com is only to the US). Or wire transfer, like Escrow.com
- Sedo has the extra layer of security because you can send them the auth code, instead of to the buyer; or they can even handle the domain themselves (not sure if there's an extra charge for that, but Escrow.com charges more for it)
- And they specialize in domains

I think Sedo, Epik, and Dynadot provide good alternatives. Oh, and maybe Payoneer, but I've only learned about them from this thread.

That's right! I was pleased to find out in recent transactions that Sedo were sending funds via PayPal at no fee.

•••
Disburse via Wire or ACH at Epik...
What problems???

•••
•••
+ Payments to Sellers or refunds to Buyers requiring an international wire will be charged an additional $45.
As I know from Payoneer-representative - it should be lowered to $15 shortly...

•••
•••
A couple of points specific to Payoneer. As I almost always start these posts – please make sure you are doing business with a company that is actually licensed to provide escrow or money services. The fact that they are licensed assures you they are following the laws and compliance regulations set forth by the governing bodies. Payoneer has many domestic as well as international licenses needed to support the global needs of our customers. As such, there are requirements that we know who we are doing business with. Know Your Customer requirements, commonly known as KYC, procedures are fairly standard. Although the implementation can be done differently. As an example, when I set up my Payoneer account I was not required to submit any kind of government ID. The Payoneer system was able to garner enough information from my name, address and bank account information to approve me. Should the information within the application not have been consistent I may have been required to submit additional proof of who I am or explain the inconsistencies. The fact that Payoneer has been doing this for over ten years has allowed us to develop a system that is much more customer friendly and less invasive than our competitors. The account was approved within 24 hours. Payoneer does not require ID copy from every applicant, only if we're unable to validate your identity will an email be sent requesting copy of government issued photo ID or additional information.

When setting up your payout preference through Payoneer Escrow you can choose to be paid directly to your local bank account or to your Payoneer Account. If you are in the United States and choose to receive funds directly to your bank account there is no charge. If you are an international customer and would like to receive a USD SWIFT wire to your bank account there is a fee of $15. If you are an international customer and would like to receive a local bank transfer in a country where the local route is supported no transfer fee will apply, only currency conversion where applicable. If you select Payoneer Account as your payout preference you can withdraw your funds to a Prepaid Debit MasterCard card or transfer funds into your local bank (where local currency transfers are supported). Currency conversion fee will apply for changing US dollars into local currencies. Through the Payoneer global network conversion fees are typically lower than standard bank conversion fees.

Payoneer Escrow fees start at $10. If a buyer funds escrow and the transaction does not complete the buyer is entitled to a full refund. Other escrow companies may take the complete escrow fee before returning your funds, check their terms of service. We look forward to the opportunity to earn your business.

Thank you and best regards,

Brandon

Brandon Abbey
[email protected]
1-949-444-3623

•••
why are you looking for alternatives of escrow? It is amongst the best and trusted payment method .

•••
A couple of points specific to Payoneer. As I almost always start these posts – please make sure you are doing business with a company that is actually licensed to provide escrow or money services. The fact that they are licensed assures you they are following the laws and compliance regulations set forth by the governing bodies. Payoneer has many domestic as well as international licenses needed to support the global needs of our customers. As such, there are requirements that we know who we are doing business with. Know Your Customer requirements, commonly known as KYC, procedures are fairly standard. Although the implementation can be done differently. As an example, when I set up my Payoneer account I was not required to submit any kind of government ID. The Payoneer system was able to garner enough information from my name, address and bank account information to approve me. Should the information within the application not have been consistent I may have been required to submit additional proof of who I am or explain the inconsistencies. The fact that Payoneer has been doing this for over ten years has allowed us to develop a system that is much more customer friendly and less invasive than our competitors. The account was approved within 24 hours. Payoneer does not require ID copy from every applicant, only if we're unable to validate your identity will an email be sent requesting copy of government issued photo ID or additional information.

When setting up your payout preference through Payoneer Escrow you can choose to be paid directly to your local bank account or to your Payoneer Account. If you are in the United States and choose to receive funds directly to your bank account there is no charge. If you are an international customer and would like to receive a USD SWIFT wire to your bank account there is a fee of $15. If you are an international customer and would like to receive a local bank transfer in a country where the local route is supported no transfer fee will apply, only currency conversion where applicable. If you select Payoneer Account as your payout preference you can withdraw your funds to a Prepaid Debit MasterCard card or transfer funds into your local bank (where local currency transfers are supported). Currency conversion fee will apply for changing US dollars into local currencies. Through the Payoneer global network conversion fees are typically lower than standard bank conversion fees.

Payoneer Escrow fees start at $10. If a buyer funds escrow and the transaction does not complete the buyer is entitled to a full refund. Other escrow companies may take the complete escrow fee before returning your funds, check their terms of service. We look forward to the opportunity to earn your business.

Thank you and best regards,

Brandon

Brandon Abbey
[email protected]
1-949-444-3623

Thanks Brandon. Do you have any info about your API? Would it allow me to create buy it now buttons for my site?

•••
The account was approved within 24 hours. Payoneer does not require ID copy from every applicant, only if we're unable to validate your identity will an email be sent requesting copy of government issued photo ID or additional information.

Hmmm, this may be misleading. I'm not sure. The Payoneer setup it so odd. Okay, I didn't have to give an ID to set up the main account. However after I set up the main account , they made me set up another account inside the system called a "Payoneer Global Bank Transfer account" to get a wire. That account said it required "copy of your government-issued photo ID".

•••
many people looking 4 new escrow now
i put together quickly info page that's updatable by all (use blank rows at bottom)

if u own escrow company......or are domainer who knows the correct numbers, you can add to bottom of this sheet

the idea is to have quick ref sheet where on a $1000 example sale, you know what you get paid NET by each company.. after all fees etc..

hope this makes clear for all cause lot confusion round about fees.

like most people I only am interested in paypal payouts.. but I included cheque and other columns too

I'll update and sort it as i have time in futures

if there are errors or bad info, just pm me and I'll fix if it goes into the upper non editable by public sheet ranges. use empty rows at bottom to add your stuff.

enjoy:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_N_Vq7Imvnhn1DDE4Dhuykvds2sa8yQG3vFUZi2SjV8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
•••
You can see our API and partner information here - https://escrow.payoneer.com/partner-resources
The API does not include the buy now buttons but if you have a marketplace it should handle your needs (buy now buttons coming). Our API allows for you to keep your customers on your site to conduct their transaction. I think you will also be impressed by our fee schedule.

•••
I don't think the difference between fees are a big deal.

The issue is ease of use.

Domainers started using Escrow.com over a decade ago because of their ease of use.

Now it is becoming more difficult as our buyers and sellers will have to prove their identity. This is ok for us savvy and experienced users.

Those not experienced or savvy think of this as a hassle. Many think of this as a potential scam.

Payoneers system is more difficult to use than Escrow.com's so if they also want proof of identity, they are out. I see no reason to switch.

I think the only one left is Sedo. Someone correct me if they also do this.

•••
@Brandon Abbey
Do you support Bulk-sales?
For ex.: 20 domains in a single transaction...

•••
@Brandon Abbey
Do you support Bulk-sales?
For ex.: 20 domains in a single transaction...
Hi Jurgen,
You can add multiple domains individually to a transaction or you can upload a copy of your purchase order including all the domains in the transaction. Thanks,
Brandon

•••
@Brandon Abbey

Could you please clarify / tell us more about payments via CC and inspection periods?
The question has been asked at the beginning of the thread but maybe you did not see it..
Thanks

•••
Credit cards are accepted for transaction for up to $2000. On a $2000 transaction the escrow fee would be $30 and the processing fee would add $60 for a total of $90.

Inspection periods are agreed between parties. Once the seller marks the domain transferred the buyer is required to either accept and release payment or dispute the transaction. In the event the buyer does nothing and the inspection period expires fund are released to the seller and broker, if applicable.

•••
Inspection periods are agreed between parties. Once the seller marks the domain transferred the buyer is required to either accept and release payment or dispute the transaction. In the event the buyer does nothing and the inspection period expires fund are released to the seller and broker, if applicable.

Thank you.
I guess what I wanted to know is if I, the seller, can set the inspection period at the beginning of the transaction or if I have to wait up to 15 days for the buyer to make a decision.

Also, don't you think that, as someone mentioned, having an inspection period for a domain name is unnecessary? Once a domain is transferred / pushed the buyer gains ownership immediately and reverse a domain transfer is basically impossible unless theft is involved.
Will you consider removing the inspection period for domains?

•••
At Sedo inspection period is absent at all.
You push the domain into their escrow account (Sedo has accounts with all major registrars) - and that's all, your money will be released the same or next business day.

•••
Has anyone asked if Payoneer requires the same sensitive info that Escrow/com is now asking for?

•••
At Sedo inspection period is absent at all.
You push the domain into their escrow account (Sedo has accounts with all major registrars) - and that's all, your money will be released the same or next business day.

I like Sedo but sometimes they are slow. Last sale took 4 days for them to respond once to get my name pushed so I could get paid.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back