IT.COM

information Afternic Update

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
There are several threads ongoing about Afternic so it was easier to start a new one here with the big picture of what is going on. A few weeks ago we had a major release which did away with the escrow process on Afternic and started a new service called Transaction Assurance. There are several main reasons why we did it, two of the big ones being:
1. Compliance - We are not an escrow company and using this new flow allows us to be compliant to all laws in the areas we operate which is very important for everyone.
2. Ease of use - Much of what we have done over the past 2 years around the Aftermarket is being done to reduce overall friction for the buyer and seller to allow domains to move to buyers easier and make managing your domains for sale easier.

There are other reasons for doing this which tie into a bigger picture of other projects we have in line for the coming year or so which also allow for better sales for our sellers such as faster payment times and more International payment options as well as better/easier domain management and some bigger improvements that have been asked for by customers for a while.

The project was not rushed or left untested. In fact we put in over 8 man years of labor on it and did extensive testing. Part of the project involved us integrating with two 3rd party providers to help with International payments and communications. These are big name companies with a track record of success and utilizing their tools behind the scenes will help everyone in the long run to be able to sell more domains easier.

Obviously things have not gone as well as we would have liked, but we are actively working on resolving the issues around communication and payments. We have had meetings at the highest levels to take care of this as a very high priority. As of today we believe most email communication issue are resolved.

We are not only meeting about things we are actively deploying new code and changes and other teams are working to manually jump in and help out so we can get answers for our customers and make sure they are being paid. I personally saw many people working late nights and over the weekends doing what they could to keep improving the processes because our customers are very important to us. We have a good team who have all pulled together to try and help it is not just me on the forum answering questions I couldn't do it without the help of our Aftermarket teams.

I think we are very close to having a smoothly operating process again with a better ultimate process for the future which will allow you to grow with us and continue to sell domains at a better rate of return. Thank you for your patience and for being a customer.

If you are waiting for payment the #1 thing I have seen resolve this the fastest is to login to your Afternic account and go to your payment settings. Make sure that you have a payment set up as a default option and that is correct. We migrated all the old payment information into the new system. If you are in doubt or cannot find a way to select a default payment option it is faster to create a new payment method (even using the same info you already have) and select that new payment method as your default. Doing this will tell the system to try and pay you for any outstanding balance you are owed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If your domain is getting offers on GD those go to the broker team at Afternic and they work those and try and make a sale for you. If the buyer is way off and they cannot bring him up to a decent offer they will not tell you. So say you have a domain for sale for $1,500 and the offer comes in at $200 they will try and call the bidder, if they can't get in touch with them they will also try emails. They will educate the buyer on why the name is valuable and try and close the deal for your asking price. If the buyer won't come up from $200 and that is below your floor price on Afternic, you will not hear from them. If $100 is your floor price they will close the deal if they cant get them closer to the 1500 asking price. If your floor is say 300 they will call you and say we have an offer for 200 and we cant get the guy any higher would you consider 200? If you are not hearing from them the bids are not anywhere close to your floor pricing or BIN price.

I also have run into this situation and find it unprofessional to not notify the seller of any offers. I entered a min bid so I would know of any bid above that amount.

This is just common sense. If the the broker can get an offer above the floor price, close it. If not, contact the seller. In fact isn't this what the Afternic site aays.

Unbelievable. I have switched over 300 domains to afternic ao I can have both a buy it now and submit offer only to find out I haven't been getting my offers that have been submitted!

•••
I have just discovered today that I have received bids at GoDaddy auctions on a domain (and potentially more that I'm not aware of) that I have listed through Afternic, but that I have received no notification of.

The domain isn't registered at GD and I have no way of responding as the bid doesn't show up in my Afternic account.

Has anyone else had this issue or know of a way to fix it? Who knows how many sales users could be missing out on.

I agree. I noticed 2 of my domains where listed pending sale". No emails so I called Afternic and no one knew anything. Afternic rep guessed someone had submitted a offer through an Affiliate marketplace. After a day or two nothing. Still can't get any information on the offers. , what marketplace, how much was the offer?

•••
Domain sold 7/3 via Fast Transfer. But there is no payout date: it still says "Not Scheduled" under Estimated Payment date. Haven't received any responses to my messages. First time I've ever had a problem with them -- it's always smooth and we usually get paid on day 7-8 without any issues.

Did they stop giving an estimated payout date now or is it bugged ?

Last edited:
•••
I agree. I noticed 2 of my domains where listed pending sale". No emails so I called Afternic and no one knew anything. Afternic rep guessed someone had submitted a offer through an Affiliate marketplace. After a day or two nothing. Still can't get any information on the offers. , what marketplace, how much was the offer?
Whenever somebody puts your domain in their shopping cart at one of Afternic's registrar partners, it will show as "pending sale" at Afternic. "Pending sale" doesn't necessarily mean that somebody has made an offer.

•••

It turned out with mine that someone made an offer through GoDaddy, but because I hadn't set a floor price with Afternic, they wouldn't respond to the offer or notify me of it and would only take the full BIN price.

So basically I learned that if I want Afternic to respond to these kind of offers, I need to set a floor price for each of my listed domains.

•••
It turned out with mine that someone made an offer through GoDaddy, but because I hadn't set a floor price with Afternic, they wouldn't respond to the offer or notify me of it and would only take the full BIN price.

So basically I learned that if I want Afternic to respond to these kind of offers, I need to set a floor price for each of my listed domains.
Did they actually confirm this with you?

I only set BIN + Minimum offer (I don’t set the floor when I list names initially), and I’m often presented with offers coming in from their network, although I have no idea if they present me with all offers coming in. I'm not under the impression that I'm not being presented certain offers, although they only bring really high quality leads. From memory, it seems that close to 100% of the offers they brought me via the "partnersales" email handle eventually turned into sales over the past year.

However, if what you say is correct, this should be outlined in writing on their website so that sellers don't miss out on any potential sales.

•••
Did they actually confirm this with you?

I only set BIN + Minimum offer (I don’t set the floor when I list names initially), and I’m often presented with offers coming in from their network, although I have no idea if they present me with all offers coming in. I'm not under the impression that I'm not being presented certain offers, although they only bring really high quality leads. From memory, it seems that close to 100% of the offers they brought me via the "partnersales" email handle eventually turned into sales over the past year.

However, if what you say is correct, this should be outlined in writing on their website so that sellers don't miss out on any potential sales.

This was confirmed to me regarding Afternic offers coming via GoDaddy auctions. This may be the only situation where a floor price is needed, I'm not sure.

I haven't had any issues (that I know of) with offers coming directly through Afternic itself.

•••
Can anyone confirm if they stopped giving an "Estimated Payout Date" for Fast Transfer ? This is the first time I haven't seen one posted immediately after the sale (approaching day 8-9 now). It just says "Not Scheduled".

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone confirm if they stopped giving an "Estimated Payout Date" for Fast Transfer ? This is the first time I haven't seen one posted immediately after the sale (approaching day 8-9 now). It just says "Not Scheduled".

Thanks
It doesn't show an estimated date until we know when we are going to pay you out now. Has the domain name left your account yet? It needs to move to the buyer and then you are paid. You can email [email protected] for an update if the domain name has left your account.

•••
edit: i used the contact form, but i'll send a direct email instead, thanks

Last edited:
•••
So..

First email is from GoDaddy asking me to confirm a transfer I have never initiated for a domain I have never sold.
Contacted tranfers@godaddy .com and same useless reply as always.

3 days later an email from Afternic saying that the domain above has sold pending funds verification and that I should initiate the transfer. Mind you NO payout date appears in my Afternic account backend.

NO THANKS...I am not going through the same hell my fellow Pfos have been through...

Seriously though, GoDaddy & Afternic are something to leave behind; the quality of the service has been going down for the past 4 years and it does not matter how much their representatives try to say the opposite...the quality is not there anymore period

•••
So..

First email is from GoDaddy asking me to confirm a transfer I have never initiated for a domain I have never sold.
Contacted tranfers@godaddy .com and same useless reply as always.

3 days later an email from Afternic saying that the domain above has sold pending funds verification and that I should initiate the transfer. Mind you NO payout date appears in my Afternic account backend.

NO THANKS...I am not going through the same hell my fellow Pfos have been through...

Seriously though, GoDaddy & Afternic are something to leave behind; the quality of the service has been going down for the past 4 years and it does not matter how much their representatives try to say the opposite...the quality is not there anymore period
We are working on the notification emails. They impact a small number of sales but we have it figured out and are actively investigating a solution. I apologize for that.
We do not show a payout date now until we have a payment scheduled. These vary based on how a domain is moved, for example a transfer from a registrar that does not have a way to expedite it will take 7+ days to move the domain and make payment where an account push within the same registrar may happen that same day. Once we get the domain name and schedule payment that part will update to your expected payment day.

•••
About transfer emails... A quick question to @Joe Styler (cannot find the answer anywhere on afternic website).

If I list a domain with fixed BIN. For which I did not enable fast transfer, such as due to the domain not being currently registered with supported registrar. Will Afternic still send the domain - with its BIN - to Standard Network, including GoDaddy, NetSol, RegisterCom.. ? I think this is what really happens. Fine. Now, what if the domain is not eligible to be transferred-out from its current registrar because of 60 days lock (auction lock, new reg lock, whatever..)? If the domain is sold on external registrar like GoDaddy or RegisterCom - all systems, natuarally, expect that the domain would be transferred manually, and GoDaddys or RegisterComs customer is likely also expecting to receive the domain into their registrar account. But the domain can only be pushed inside its current registrar at the sale time, and cannot be technically delivered to the registrar who sold it. How are such sales handled @ afternic ?

•••
AfterNic payout is now quick

•••
Alright..everyone knows I am not a GD + Afternic fan

BUT

I have sold a name through Afternic ( see my post above ) and I have had a very prompt support in the person of Andy H. and a super fast payout which has actually surprised me.

The only downside is that they took $1 from my payout even though Afternic clearly states there are no fees for paypal payouts. That needs to be fixed.

•••

BUT

I have sold a name through Afternic ( see my post above ) and I have had a very prompt support in the person of Andy H. and a super fast payout which has actually surprised me.

The only downside is that they took $1 from my payout even though Afternic clearly states there are no fees for paypal payouts. That needs to be fixed.

Congrats.

They took $100 from my payout. lol

•••
Congrats.

They took $100 from my payout. lol

WHAT???? Do you mean their commission or you mean they took money on top if that?

•••
•••

BUT

I've had some taken out as well. By both GD and Afternic at sales there respectively (i.e. not for the sale sale)

•••
I've had some taken out as well. By both GD and Afternic at sales there respectively (i.e. not for the sale sale)

Uhh, that last part should be "not for the same sale"! Doh!!!

•••
@Joe Styler Afternic taking 2+ business days to accept pushes from sellers for paid sales is not good for either buyer, or seller, please speed up this process.

•••
Capture.PNG

Why I'm seeing what I'm seeing? All other sites show secure. It is only happening with afternic's site.

•••
•••
It has been like that for at least over a year.
But why? It says your passwords, credit card data might get stolen lol. Why cant they make it https like everyone else?

•••
But why? It says your passwords, credit card data might get stolen lol. Why cant they make it https like everyone else?

lol

so much is wrong with this company.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back