Dynadot

information Afternic Update

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
There are several threads ongoing about Afternic so it was easier to start a new one here with the big picture of what is going on. A few weeks ago we had a major release which did away with the escrow process on Afternic and started a new service called Transaction Assurance. There are several main reasons why we did it, two of the big ones being:
1. Compliance - We are not an escrow company and using this new flow allows us to be compliant to all laws in the areas we operate which is very important for everyone.
2. Ease of use - Much of what we have done over the past 2 years around the Aftermarket is being done to reduce overall friction for the buyer and seller to allow domains to move to buyers easier and make managing your domains for sale easier.

There are other reasons for doing this which tie into a bigger picture of other projects we have in line for the coming year or so which also allow for better sales for our sellers such as faster payment times and more International payment options as well as better/easier domain management and some bigger improvements that have been asked for by customers for a while.

The project was not rushed or left untested. In fact we put in over 8 man years of labor on it and did extensive testing. Part of the project involved us integrating with two 3rd party providers to help with International payments and communications. These are big name companies with a track record of success and utilizing their tools behind the scenes will help everyone in the long run to be able to sell more domains easier.

Obviously things have not gone as well as we would have liked, but we are actively working on resolving the issues around communication and payments. We have had meetings at the highest levels to take care of this as a very high priority. As of today we believe most email communication issue are resolved.

We are not only meeting about things we are actively deploying new code and changes and other teams are working to manually jump in and help out so we can get answers for our customers and make sure they are being paid. I personally saw many people working late nights and over the weekends doing what they could to keep improving the processes because our customers are very important to us. We have a good team who have all pulled together to try and help it is not just me on the forum answering questions I couldn't do it without the help of our Aftermarket teams.

I think we are very close to having a smoothly operating process again with a better ultimate process for the future which will allow you to grow with us and continue to sell domains at a better rate of return. Thank you for your patience and for being a customer.

If you are waiting for payment the #1 thing I have seen resolve this the fastest is to login to your Afternic account and go to your payment settings. Make sure that you have a payment set up as a default option and that is correct. We migrated all the old payment information into the new system. If you are in doubt or cannot find a way to select a default payment option it is faster to create a new payment method (even using the same info you already have) and select that new payment method as your default. Doing this will tell the system to try and pay you for any outstanding balance you are owed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We will take a look at it. I tried a couple ways to duplicate it and it looks like if you are using an incognito window or have not been to Afternic before it shows that and once you are there once it will show secure. If you type in https://www.afternic.com it will force the ssl to load and then do so from then on as well. It shouldn't work like that of course so we will look into it. Thanks for bringing it up.
It worked. It worked. :)

•••
Like I said the domain was sold on the 18th of July 2017 and with all due respect I am not contacting anyone or sending anything around. This is something Afternic and Godaddy have to fix.

Transaction Assurance is what handled my transaction in particular Andrew.

I would really like the whois to be changed thanks
Send me the domain and I will see what kind of sale it was.

•••
My initial request I type in usually doesn't resolve right away.

Yeah I was experiencing this same thing for the past week or two, but it seems to not be happening the past few days.

Joe, basically what was happening was when I typed Afternic.com into my browser, instead of going direct to the Afternic home page, it would be like a blank white screen as if it couldn't load the page, and then Chrome would automatically try to re-load the page and it would work on that second attempt.

Hopefully whatever was going on has been fixed already, as seems to be the case.

•••
Yeah I was experiencing this same thing for the past week or two, but it seems to not be happening the past few days.

Joe, basically what was happening was when I typed Afternic.com into my browser, instead of going direct to the Afternic home page, it would be like a blank white screen as if it couldn't load the page, and then Chrome would automatically try to re-load the page and it would work on that second attempt.

Hopefully whatever was going on has been fixed already, as seems to be the case.

And..... I spoke too soon. It just happened again to me:

afternic.png

•••
And..... I spoke too soon. It just happened again to me:

Show attachment 65903

YES! There it is.

I assume it's an htaccess thing but...? Still weird.

I know for weeks/months a lot of people were being sent to THAT for my domains, which sucks.

•••
It should now be fixed as of earlier this week. I was traveling this week at the NameSummit conference so I am a bit behind in updating the news but we looked into the https issue not working and have that resolved from this thread. Thanks for letting me know.

•••
Joe, I respectfully disagree. It is not fixed (or, at least, not completely). At the time of this writing - Fri. evening:

- Latest Chromium browser ver. 60.0.3112.78 (not google chrome) is showing exactly the same error page as on screenshot made by @Nat Hunt a couple of posts before

- Firefox is OK - no problems

Both tests were from Linux if that matters

Last edited:
•••
Joe, I respectfully disagree. It is not fixed (or, at least, not completely). At the time of this writing - Fri. evening:

- Latest Chromium browser ver. 60.0.3112.78 (not google chrome) is showing exactly the same error page as on screenshot a couple of posts before

- Firefox is OK - no problems

Both tests were from Linux if that matters
We don't support that browser. We only work to support the main browsers.

•••
@Joe Styler I am trying to access Afternic and I am getting the following

"
403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules."

What can this be? Chrome

•••
Chromium is a base for building Google Chrome... Google just adds spying stuff and calls it chrome. Afternic website (or any other website) are looking the same in Chrome and Chromium. So it is likely that afternic still does not work correctly in Google Chrome (is it the browser that afternic techs are considering to be "main"?). Sorry I do not have google chrome browser to test. Can anybody confirm please?

•••
I get the same thing using the Samsung browser

•••
@Joe Styler Like others have said, it's still not fixed. I'm using Chrome.

•••
•••
I spoke with the support manager and he would like to have you write in with the error and your ip to [email protected] so they can look into it.

•••
They also suggested that you clear your cache and cookies as they think that the issue is fixed but the browser is not trying to pull the site correctly because of the cache and thus when you refresh it and see it you are forcing it to do a new pull and thus it works. They don't see any errors trying external connections to chrome on various machines. The only other thing they think it can be is that we are blocking your IP which is why they would like to have the ips sent in as well.

•••
Thanks @Joe Styler , it is definitely IP issue. Will email them.

•••
Having reported earlier in this thread (as did many others) about endless sagas & delays getting paid by Afternic, it's good to be to report a sale and payment that went through without a hitch. I got the email from Afternic on September 26th reporting a Fast Transfer sale of one of my names, and I got payment to my Paypal account today (Oct 4th). Yeah!!

•••
Having reported earlier in this thread (as did many others) about endless sagas & delays getting paid by Afternic, it's good to be to report a sale and payment that went through without a hitch. I got the email from Afternic on September 26th reporting a Fast Transfer sale of one of my names, and I got payment to my Paypal account today (Oct 4th). Yeah!!
Congrats on the sale

•••
On another note I been away for a while and trying to clean up my domains for the new year. In afternic I must have 20 + domains that have sat "In Review" for over 5-6-7 months. For those @Joe Styler how do I get them added to my account so they can be seen. It seems they NEVER "review" them at all

•••
If they are in review for more than 48 hours you should contact [email protected] and they will look into it and fix any issues. You can also delete them and re-add them since it has been so long and they may go into the listing fine this time. If not you can email [email protected] and let them know and they will fix it.

•••
@Joe Styler

Hi, the search does not work.

When searching 'coin' .com for example, the page results domains with coin gtld domains, a few two word coin domains, then a few random domains, followed by empty space with no domains but prices .......

•••
@Joe Styler

Hi, the search does not work.

When searching 'coin' .com for example, the page results domains with coin gtld domains, a few two word coin domains, then a few random domains, followed by empty space with no domains but prices .......
That is how it is designed to work. We don't have coin.com listed for sale with us so it would not come back as a result. We show what the closest names are we have for sale. Not everyone listing their domains for sale wants to put a Buy Now Price on them so there is no price to show. On those names you will need to contact us and have us help you negotiate a price both you and the seller are happy with to reach a deal.

•••
@Joe Styler Thanks for your your reply, no the search is 'coin' in the .com on the search bar as you can see on Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler Thanks for your your reply, no the search is 'coin' in the .com on the search bar as you can see on Afternic.
I understand. That is how it is supposed to work.

•••
I understand. That is how it is supposed to work.

No, it can't be? That would be really poor.

I've emailed support and and they stated they are aware the search tool is not working properly and have escalated it to the dev team. Apparently there're working on a new site.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back