security Afternic just notified me of a breach

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
So, did anyone else get this notice?

Dear xxxxxxxxxxx ,

We want to make you aware of a security incident we recently identified.

On Thursday, February 12, a security researcher contacted us about a potential issue with a Web API. We immediately opened an investigation and found a misconfigured server accessible though the API. Using this API, the security researcher crafted a specific request that returned information from other customer accounts.

Through our audits, we identified this specific API call was run against a small segment of our customers’ accounts. Unfortunately, your information may have been viewed using this call, which includes your first name, last name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and your Afternic username. At no point was your password or credit card information at risk.

As soon as we identified the issue, we removed the server from rotation, securing our API infrastructure.

Please monitor for any suspicious communications that may come from third parties through the contact details that were on your Afternic account (e.g. email/telephone number).

We are very sorry this incident happened. Protecting the privacy of our customers is our top priority and we let you down in this instance. Our team is committed to preventing these types of incidents in the future and we’ll always be forthcoming in our communications with you.

If you have any questions, please email [email protected].

Best regards,
The Afternic Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't mind answering any questions or helping anyone I can. My years here have shown that but I am a bit suspicious about the various new accounts popping up in the last week or two with generic info.

What is wrong with you for real? The entire culture at GoDaddy just sucks. You compromise mass accounts, deceive your customers in ways that are unfathomable, then criticize the people here as probable fakes before you even address real concerns? Just messed up Joe. Not sure what happened to you along the way, but you are far removed from the faith-based man I once knew. GoDaddy = Treacherous. Wake up!

•••
zdnet.com/article/aws-error-exposed-godaddy-server-secrets

forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/05/05/godaddy-confirms-data-breach-what-19-million-customers-need-to-know/?sh=4a5b1cc81daa

krebsonsecurity.com/2020/11/godaddy-employees-used-in-attacks-on-multiple-cryptocurrency-services/

cpomagazine.com/cyber-security/domain-registrar-godaddy-breached-attackers-trick-employees-into-transferring-ownership-of-cryptocurrency-sites/

It just goes on and on...

•••
On removing old payees we cannot always remove them for various reasons such as regulatory concerns. There are a few variables to go into.

thanks

•••
Just wanted to share that my spam regarding app development, etc. has gone through the roof in the last week as well as emails targeting specific names.

Of course the 'app developer' spam may not have anything to do with the afternic breach. But there is very targeted spam that refers to names I have listed at afternic that is likely the result of the breach..it is annoying to say the least.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in domain name targeted spam?

•••
Has anyone else noticed an increase in domain name targeted spam?
I am an Afternic customer, but did not get the email about my account, but it does seem to me that the amount of spam related to domains/web development has increased last number of days. Whether that is just chance is certainly possible.
Bob

•••
I would bet from my conversations with others that most people who trusted Afternic have experienced a massive hike in calls this past week or more of a radical boost in VOIP hang ups. Measuring about a 600% increase myself, as others I am communicating with are as well.

•••
I did not receive this famous afternic email... Does it mean that my domains are not that good LOL?
and the number of spam is about the same.

•••
Unfortunately, your information may have been viewed using this call, which includes your first name, last name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and your Afternic username.

Most of this is what I've had on my whois for years so not much of a concern for me, but I didn't get such email.

Last edited:
•••
I did not receive this famous afternic email... Does it mean that my domains are not that good LOL?
and the number of spam is about the same.

+1 from another user who has domains listed on Afternic, but received no email - This is what I was thinking, too. :xf.laugh:

•••
Whew...I thought it was something bad. <sarcasm>

According to Afternic, all they got was my legal name, email address, physical address and phone number.
At least they are sorry and they were forthcoming...10 days after the hack.

jokerstash on darkweb could prolly still squeeze few bucks for this info from folks hahaha

jk

read this funny story of Russian on darkweb called jokerstash who retired aftr making billions in fees in btc selling credit card info etc

•••
jokerstash on darkweb could prolly still squeeze few bucks for this info from folks hahaha

jk

read this funny story of Russian on darkweb called jokerstash who retired aftr making billions in fees in btc selling credit card info etc

Yes, that much info from a significant number of individuals, in a nice excel format, could fetch a pretty penny on the DW. Although domainers should be a little more scam savvy than most, I know many 'marketers' that could pull sensitive information out of more than a few.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back