Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is an issue with self-signed SSL certs. on Afternic landers 100% resolved? I added a new domain to afternic and set DNS about ~12 hours ago, and it still has no SSL. Earlier, new domains were set with SSL instantly (after the 1st visit). Visited the domain myself ~12 hours ago, so there is at least 1 hit on it, but no SSL cert. generated...

•••
Every time I update my portfolio by uploading a CSV file, a few random domain names fall into the "pending review" status and stay that way for days, sometimes weeks. Then I have to send an email to the Afternic support team and have it fixed manually. The strange thing is that the domain names falling into this "pending review" status are the domain names that were already actively listed just before the update.

Even though I have asked many times why this is happening and what I should do to prevent it from recurring, I cannot get any answers.

As a result, a domain name that is not listed for sale means no sale. So it's lose-lose for all parties.
Hi @kor,
We appreciate your focus on the Pending Review system and while it plays an important part in the management of listings at Afternic, the system can be changed to reduce the number of domains you see going into Pending Review state.

We're analyzing the entire Pending Review system (which is large and complex, managing the 23 million listings at Afternic), and we anticipate making some adjustments once this analysis is complete. To set expectations, this work will take some time.

For now, working with the support team (https://www.afternic.com/contact-afternic) is best.

Is an issue with self-signed SSL certs. on Afternic landers 100% resolved? I added a new domain to afternic and set DNS about ~12 hours ago, and it still has no SSL. Earlier, new domains were set with SSL instantly (after the 1st visit). Visited the domain myself ~12 hours ago, so there is at least 1 hit on it, but no SSL cert. generated...
Hi @tonyk2000,
SSL certificate generation on new domains can take some time. Thanks for your patience while we continue rolling this out fully.

•••
SSL certificate generation on new domains can take some time. Thanks for your patience while we continue rolling this out fully.
I just checked - and it is still not generated (waiting 7 days already). Should we guess that GD does not generate _new_ ssl certificates anymore [for new domains added to afternic and DNS]?

•••
We're analyzing the entire Pending Review system (which is large and complex, managing the 23 million listings at Afternic)

I don't think the total data size has anything to do with the algorithms executed during the update.

I still don't understand why a previously listed domain name falls into "pending review" status after a portfolio update.

The domain name is the same, the expire date is the same, the price is the same, everything is exactly the same. There is no change. However, some domain names are excluded from the listing randomly and unreasonably.

•••
•••
For domain names with .io and .xyz extensions, I receive "Register your domain with a participating Fast-transfer Registrar" warnings after every portfolio update. As far as I know, Afternic does not support these extensions on the fast-transfer network.

I wonder what is the reason for sending these notifications?

---

Related to this issue, is there a method to re-trigger fast-transfer participation links? Even though I update with the "reconcile" option all the time, the confirmation link is not sent.

•••
is there a method to re-trigger fast-transfer participation links? Even though I update with the "reconcile" option all the time, the confirmation link is not sent.
try to hide the domain from sales - save - and unhide it immediately. Earlier, it worked (in classic interface) - fast transfer auth was resent from afternic. Will it be processed on registrar end and how - is a different story, if the domain lost fast transfer status on afternic end - it may still have this authorization on registrar end, so the registrar may elect to ignore (duplicate) authorization request...

•••
try to hide the domain from sales - save - and unhide it immediately.

Just applied that action to a part of my portfolio. Will be waiting for the results.

Thank you.

•••
Anybody, please...

Can one use Godaddy's own nameservers to qualify for 15% commission for GD Auctions sale?

I swear that Godaddy doesn't address this on their encyclopedic website.

I prefer to not use ns1.afternic.com ns2.afternic.com

@GoDaddy

Last edited:
•••
Anybody, please...

Can one use Godaddy's own nameservers to qualify for 15% commission for GD Auctions sale?

I swear that Godaddy doesn't address this on their encyclopedic website.

I prefer to not use ns1.afternic.com ns2.afternic.com

@GoDaddy
Hi @forge,
The full list of nameservers is available here: https://www.afternic.com/sales-acceleration

If you're referring to GoDaddy's domaincontrol.com nameservers, then these are not included in the list of approved nameservers.

•••
If you're referring to GoDaddy's domaincontrol.com nameservers, then these are not included in the list of approved nameservers.

That's exactly what I'm referring to (though I didn't specify in my post).

This is what I'm currently using which displays a direct link to the Godaddy auction. It seems counterintuitive that I would essentially be penalized with a significantly higher fee.

Anyway thank you for the swift reply.

•••
That's exactly what I'm referring to (though I didn't specify in my post).

This is what I'm currently using which displays a direct link to the Godaddy auction. It seems counterintuitive that I would essentially be penalized with a significantly higher fee.

Anyway thank you for the swift reply.

You're welcome - glad we cleared that up.

•••
For domain names with .io and .xyz extensions, I receive "Register your domain with a participating Fast-transfer Registrar" warnings after every portfolio update. As far as I know, Afternic does not support these extensions on the fast-transfer network.

I wonder what is the reason for sending these notifications?

---

Related to this issue, is there a method to re-trigger fast-transfer participation links? Even though I update with the "reconcile" option all the time, the confirmation link is not sent.

We'll have more on .io and .xyz soon. We are testing some things, which is why you may be seeing those.

•••
We are testing some things, which is why you may be seeing those.
May I propose an option to mute those specific messages? I'm only interested in the status of my CSV upload, in fact.

Last edited:
•••
We'll have more on .io and .xyz soon. We are testing some things, which is why you may be seeing those.

And you found it appropriate to target all your users as guinea pigs? Beautiful.

Do you have any suggestions regarding to re-triggering method for fast-transfer participation links?

•••
Introducing Custom Checkout Link!

This new Afternic feature allows sellers to use the GoDaddy platform to close a domain sale that they have already negotiated.

We have a blog post on this where you can learn about the feature and how to use it!

Some of the important things you need to know:
  • Custom Checkout Link supports Buy Now and Lease to Own transactions
  • We support Buy Now transactions from $99
  • We support Lease to Own transactions between $495 and $100,000, over a maximum period of 12 months
  • To bring this to market as quickly as possible, we're leaning on Dan.com's infrastructure and technology. Therefore, links will contain the dan.com domain
  • The link will be valid for 7 days
  • Commission for Buy Now transactions is 5% ($15 minimum)
  • Commission for Lease to Own transactions is 10%
  • You do not need to point your domains to Afternic nameservers in order to use the feature
  • Payment terms for the Custom Checkout Link will not affect any Buy Now prices sellers currently have listed at Afternic or Dan.com. It will also not affect any leads in progress in the Lead Center
Head to the blog for a step-by-step guide on how to use this new feature! You can also check our FAQs for any questions you have.

Attachments

• custom-checkout-link.jpg
    custom-checkout-link.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 36
•••
@GoDaddy

From my dashboard, I tried to use the DAN.com lander option on my domains. For a large number of domains (more than 50% of portfolio) - I am getting the following error "The Dan.com Lander could not be set on this domain. Please make sure that your domain is exclusively listed on Afternic".

On further check, I notice that these domains have been listed on DAN by some third party and not by me. Could you please tell me what is the solution to this issue? I have never listed on DAN and do not intend to list on DAN, but only through Afternic.

Also, does this errant posting on DAN cause a conflict with the Afternic premium network and reduce the chance of sell through for these domains? I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
•••
@GoDaddy

From my dashboard, I tried to use the DAN.com lander option on my domains. For a large number of domains (more than 50% of portfolio) - I am getting the following error "The Dan.com Lander could not be set on this domain. Please make sure that your domain is exclusively listed on Afternic".

On further check, I notice that these domains have been listed on DAN by some third party and not by me. Could you please tell me what is the solution to this issue? I have never listed on DAN and do not intend to list on DAN, but only through Afternic.

Also, does this errant posting on DAN cause a conflict with the Afternic premium network and reduce the chance of sell through for these domains? I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi @synecdoche
If you see domain names that you own, which are listed in an account at Dan.com, we'd recommend discussing this with Dan.com's support team (https://dan.com/contact)

Your domain name distribution at Afternic will not be affected by this, since your domains are already active in your Afternic account. However, in order to use the Dan.com Lander from Afternic, we'd recommend closing the loop with Dan.com's team.

We hope that helps!

•••
Do something with scammers on afternic. Impossible to delete fake listing. Can't add my own domain on aftern already several months.

godaddy staff is uncompetitive via email .

THIS LISTING IS FAKE:

Screenshot_20231102_192947_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Do something with scammers on afternic. Impossible to delete fake listing. Can't add my own domain on aftern already several months.

THIS LISTING IS FAKE:

Show attachment 248433
When you say "fake listings", I guess you really mean old listings?

The good news is that replacing the old listings with your own is quite easy nowadays. I do it often without problems. Just follow the simple instruction when trying to list your domain.

•••
When you say "fake listings", I guess you really mean old listings?

The good news is that replacing the old listings with your own is quite easy nowadays. I do it often without problems. Just follow the simple instruction when trying to list your domain.
Its actually fake he is trying to sell it

THIS LISTING IS FAKE:

Show attachment 248433
Josh From Afternic Support won't delete this listing. So i guess the domain 11Legs.com is llistedon afternic or @GoDaddy auction by godaddy staff or scammer because i sent offers he is countered bin.

I bought this name several months ago on Epik marketplace.

Last edited:
•••
@ReallyBigIdea.com Why don't you just replace the bad listing with your own real listing? It's quick and easy.

•••
Why don't you just replace the bad listing with your own real listing? It's quick and easy.
One exception: what if @ReallyBigIdea.com does not want to sell the domain at all, or does not want to sell it via Afternic at this time?
Hope @GoDaddy realizes how serious the problem is. We are not speaking about outdated listings, but about fake listings knowingly submitted by fraudsters. Obligatory DNS/TXT verification for each and every added domain appears to be the only possible solution, which should be implemented ASAP.

Last edited:
•••
•••
If so, @ReallyBigIdea.com can indeed use new afternic interface and the domain will be added. The problem here is that the fake listing might be received by Afternic from Dan, so he may also need to do the same @ Dan :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back