Dynadot

poll After expiry should a registrar give a domain back to the pool?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

after expiry should a registrar give a domain back to the pool?

• 1st

they should give it back in any case

votes
    65.2%
  • 2nd

they may do whatever they want

votes
    21.7%
  • 3rd

I don't like this poll

votes
    5.8%
  • 4th

I don't care

votes
    4.3%
  • 5th

they may be allowed in some cases

votes
    2.9%

• 69 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
As for managing the expiry stream, each day I have to decide which domains to let go to Snapnames after the grace period. This is a very efficient process done through a single screen with some analytics.

On some days, the review involves a lot of names with really no time to research them. It is a quick gut decision of whether or not to let a name to go to the wolves or to warehouse them.

so there was a discussion going on
what a registrar should be doing when a domain drops

1) should they be allowed to keep it for their own use and exploitation?
2) should they always give it back to the pool?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I buy my domains, I don’t take them in a zero risk game.
Do you think it’s free to run a registrar, let alone a tech company?

•••
I buy my domains, I don’t take them in a zero risk game.

Seems like a black or white point of view.

Rob barely any details, his post inspired me

Wish he’d share more sales

Last edited:
•••
And for whose financial gain do you attempt to resell your domains for at 10-100x?

we are all here into that business to make a profit/a living

the question is:
what is kosher?

can you be "the domainers best friend"
and still profit from the weakness of the same domainers?

is that a business plan
well covered under holy sh*it

or are you dealing with a competitor,
trying to silently gain an advantage,
in having first-hand control
over an otherwise very competitive item?

Last edited:
•••
We’re not talking about running a company, we’re talking about domain sales.

The margins of running a registrar are known before you decide to run one. That’s a choice that Rob made. He could’ve sold ice cream if he wanted a different revenue stream.

It’s not okay to skim domains and act as if you did great because you sold a product that you paid zero dollars for.

•••

if it wouldn't be free
or even profitable
nobody would run it

•••

You’re talking about domain sales which are part of running his company. You said “personal gain”.

The margins of running a registrar are known before you decide to run one. That’s a choice that Rob made. He could’ve sold ice cream if he wanted a different revenue stream.
And what makes you believe that Rob didn’t write selling expired domains into his business plan prior to launching? Are you privy to something we’re not? Why do you try to make it seem like this is something revolutionary, as if he’s the first or only registrar doing it?

Last edited:
•••
And what makes you believe that Rob didn’t write selling expired domains into his business plan prior to launching? Are you privy to something we’re not? Why do you try to make it seem like this is something revolutionary, as if he’s the first or only registrar doing it?
Aside from Netsol, can you name another registrar that keeps expired domains as their own?

Rob couldn’t compete with someone like me if we both played by the same rules. Show us domains that were bought on the aftermarket and sold for profit down the road. I’ll respect that.

•••
Holy not so hidden agenda items

are you guys the same people who get at Rob for “not” sharing sales? Wow >,< even when he does, share sales —and how where got it

Samer

Some people can never be satisfied. I've always figured you can't make everyone happy so the most divicive people are usually the most genuine.

Last edited:
•••

It’s not okay to skim domains and act as if you did great because you sold a product that you paid zero dollars for.

He didnt pay 0 for it. He has paid the renewal fee on not only that but on every domain that is in the auto renew grace period

•••
Some people can never be satisfied. I've always figured you can't make everyone happy so the most devicive people are usually the most genuine.
@Ryan217

If I could scan expired domains and simply take what I wanted, regardless of the registrar, would that be fair to everyone else? Maybe you really wanted a certain domain and I just took it without bidding against you. Seems fair right?!!!

•••
He didnt pay 0 for it. He has paid the renewal fee on not only that but on every domain that is in the auto renew grace period
He acquired it with no competition. That’s weak and shows fear.

•••
@Ryan217

If I could scan expired domains and simply take what I wanted, regardless of the registrar, would that be fair to everyone else? Maybe you really wanted a certain domain and I just took it without bidding against you. Seems fair right?!!!

So wait now he is able to get expired domains from other registrars too? Wow that's a great superpower.

But seriously you complain but that's business as usual with registrars, and Epik is changing the game with NameLiquidate. So why hate on the one guy who is fixing the industry wide problem. We should be applauding him for seeing theres a better way and moving towards that.

•••
So wait now he is able to get expired domains from other registrars too? Wow that's a great superpower.

But seriously you complain but that's business as usual with registrars, and Epik is changing the game with NameLiquidate. So why hate on the one guy who is fixing the industry wide problem. We should be applauding him for seeing theres a better way and moving towards that.
You didn’t answer the question. You want an expired domain and are prepared to bid at auction. I simply take it because I can.

Do you respect that and are you happy when I post the profit I made from my free domain?

•••

imgagine:

he is giving domainers discount over and over to move their domains to epik

Last edited:
•••
You didn’t answer the question. You want an expired domain and are prepared to bid at auction. I simply take it because I can.

Do you respect that and are you happy when I post the profit I made from my free domain?

So you're upset that he didn't do so all secretive like other registrars?

The important thing is not only are you singling out one of the many who have done so in the PAST, you literally picked the one who is FIXING it by changing how his company handles the expiry stream.

•••
So you're upset that he didn't do so all secretive like other registrars?

The important thing is not only are you singling out one of the many who have done so in the PAST, you literally picked the one who is FIXING it by changing how his company handles the expiry stream.
Name the many.

•••
...and Epik is changing the game with NameLiquidate. .

Nameliquidate:

what exactly is the price of an .org at epik?

upload_2020-3-3_23-56-27.png

•••
•••
Name the many.

Tucows (from: https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204191323-Renewing-and-redeeming-expired-domains):

Day 70-100: Domain was renewed by YummyNames

If the Tucows Portfolio business unit, YummyNames, decides to renew the domain name during the Redemption Period, it is added to the YummyNames Portfolio. The expired domain displays a customized page that contains contextual ads.

Depending on the domain name's value, we may decide to retain the domain name or to sell it. Whether the domain name is made available for sale is at the discretion of the YummyNames Portfolio Manager. If we decide to sell it, the selling price to the original registrant is 50% of the Fair Market Value, as determined by the YummyNames Portfolio Team, and includes a one-year registration fee. The minimum Fair Market Value is $200.

During this period, the domain name can only be sold to the original registrant. If the original registrant wants to purchase the domain name, they should contact you, their Reseller, and you can determine the price that you charge the registrant.

Note: We reserve the right not to sell the domain name at any price.

Network Solutions (from: https://www.networksolutions.com/support/domain-deletion-policy/)

If an expired domain name registration is not renewed during any grace period provided by us, pursuant to our Service Agreement, rather than delete the domain name registration, we may, in our sole discretion, renew and transfer the domain name registration to Network Solutions or to a third party on the customer’s behalf.

Uniregistry (from: https://uniregistry.com/legal/registration-agreement):

In the event that you fail to renew your domain name prior to its expiration, your registration will expire as of its expiration date and we may, at our discretion, elect to assume the registration and may hold it for our own account, delete it or transfer it to a third party.

And those are just a few that I could find references to buried in terms of service/help center with a quick search.

Last edited:
•••
Tucows (from: https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204191323-Renewing-and-redeeming-expired-domains):

Network Solutions (from: https://www.networksolutions.com/support/domain-deletion-policy/)

Uniregistry (from: https://uniregistry.com/legal/registration-agreement):

And those are just a few that I could find references to buried in terms of service/help center with a quick search.
Yup, this is a great example of why the domain industry needs to change.

Let’s say you place an exclusive BO at epik, for a domain registered there, for $199. The domain expires and you are assuming you’ll get it. Here comes Rob who monitors drops via the backend and decides to take it for himself. Not cool and it’s happened.

•••
Far from it, the entire infrastructure relies on the (artificially) limited number of queries one registrar is allowed to make per second and per day. If it were the free market, you would see something similar to how wallstreet is trading right now with high-frequency computers. All players would want to be nearest to the Verisign servers to try to snag names based on speed and not on number of paper registrars. But that's why I said, props to them for gaming the system.

Sorry for the late reply. DropCatch are only playing the hand they were dealt. They didn't make the rules up about how dropcatching works. It's not their creation. They are fully entitled to create a system which is better than anybody else's. It's actually a wonder they haven't had any imitators. I congratulate them.

•••
The point that you apparently fail to grasp is that the specific example shared is to illustrate the merits of sending inventory to NameLiquidate.com and also for checking expiry inventory at Daily Diamonds.

I know of a specific case of a recent Daily Diamond that someone picked up for $9 a few months ago that has a $10K offer and is evaluating a $24K counter-offer. Yay for the Epik client.

As more people are actively trolling our inventory, there is no need to send the inventory to pending-delete for HugeDomains to pick up. That's why Daily Diamonds and NameLiquidate are ESSENTIAL.
Again, was this domain yours and if so, how did you acquire it?

•••
Yup, this is a great example of why the domain industry needs to change.

Let’s say you place an exclusive BO at epik, for a domain registered there, for $199. The domain expires and you are assuming you’ll get it. Here comes Rob who monitors drops via the backend and decides to take it for himself. Not cool and it’s happened.

I agree that things need to change. Which is why I am glad to see Epik bring NameLiquidate online and bring up revenue sharing of expiry stream.

As far as Rob taking domains that have been backordered for himself, how do you know that's how it happened? Maybe when he saw it go expired he placed a backorder and was the only or the first backorder? Which would be something any of us could do.

Last edited:
•••
@Rob Monster - It's probably quite easy to out-innovate GoDaddy. All they seem to do is tinker, and tinker, and tinker with their control panel, generally making it worse, and continually rewrite their ToS. What innovation have they achieved? Their new logo :) It's probably impossible to replace their current Control Panel with Uniregistry's :( Too much bloat. Probably not even a fair comparison, though. What innovations have GoDaddy actually created for the domain industry? I can't think of any :(

Last edited:
•••
@Rob Monster - It's probably quite easy to out-innovate GoDaddy. All they seem to do is tinker, and tinker, and tinker with their control panel, generally making it worse, and continually rewrite their ToS. What innovation have they achieved? There new logo :) It's probably impossible to replace their current Control Panel with Uniregistry's :( Too much bloat. Probably not even a fair comparison, though. What innovations have GoDaddy actually created for the domain industry? I can't think of any :(

Actually the situation at Godaddy is more dire.

They bought Uniregistry in part because the tools they got there should be some kind of panacea. The problem is that they have to do the hardest data migration that has ever been attempted in the history of the domain industry. I likened it to a heart transplant on an 80 year old diabetic:

And now we have Arnold Blinn leaving the company, announced yesterday:

ESKfBwIXYAYf9R-

So, the guy who has spent a few years as CHIEF ARCHITECT of GODADDY and was on site at Uniregistry HQ doing migration planning has just cut and run for the hills.

I wasn't there but I bet he told Aman that the migration was going to take a year and would be high risk. I bet Aman did not like that answer and Arnold was probably burnt out anyway.

In the meantime, Expedia just fired 3000 people and some friends of Aman from Expedia are now looking for work. So now Aman can go get get 3 tech cronies from Expedia for the price of 1 Arnold Blinn.

Here's the problem with that plan. Nobody at Godaddy knows the code or the data structures that power Godaddy. Arnold was their best shot and now he's going skiing. Oops.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back