Dynadot

poll After expiry should a registrar give a domain back to the pool?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

after expiry should a registrar give a domain back to the pool?

• 1st

they should give it back in any case

votes
    65.2%
  • 2nd

they may do whatever they want

votes
    21.7%
  • 3rd

I don't like this poll

votes
    5.8%
  • 4th

I don't care

votes
    4.3%
  • 5th

they may be allowed in some cases

votes
    2.9%

• 69 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
As for managing the expiry stream, each day I have to decide which domains to let go to Snapnames after the grace period. This is a very efficient process done through a single screen with some analytics.

On some days, the review involves a lot of names with really no time to research them. It is a quick gut decision of whether or not to let a name to go to the wolves or to warehouse them.

so there was a discussion going on
what a registrar should be doing when a domain drops

1) should they be allowed to keep it for their own use and exploitation?
2) should they always give it back to the pool?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
HD does the same keeping the ones they like for their own portfolio. In fact I'd say more ai. Robs portfolio probably looks quite tiny compared to HD.
Provide proof.

My experience has been that every domain I’ve BO at dropcatch has resulted in an auction or it’s solely awarded to me if no one else placed an order.

Yes, you can argue about insider bidding but that’s hearsay. What epik does is flat out take domains at zero cost or risk. Pathetic.

•••
Far from it, the entire infrastructure relies on the (artificially) limited number of queries one registrar is allowed to make per second and per day. If it were the free market, you would see something similar to how wallstreet is trading right now with high-frequency computers. All players would want to be nearest to the Verisign servers to try to snag names based on speed and not on number of paper registrars. But that's why I said, props to them for gaming the system.
They gamed the system because they do it best?

Again, they catch all they can but honor all BO and in the case of multiple BO there is an auction.

How does that compare to a registrar keeping valuable inventory for themselves?

You’re clearly in bed with Epik so you’re opinion is biased.

•••
But that's why I said, props to them for gaming the system.

they are not gaming the system
but playing at the same rules as all registars do

just create the same info structure
and you will have the same results

•••

Frank scroll down the list ICANN accredited registrars. DropCatch always takes a while to scroll down thousands IANA registrars owned.

How many does Epik own? Rest? exactly.

They gamed the system; perfectly actually, point where most 3 4L drop almost guaranteed reap DC windfall — it’s circle. Place $59 bets, cuz that’s just the appetizer. the system broken
Snap and NameJet had to merge to compete. that’s how broken it is

Last edited:
•••
Provide proof.

My experience has been that every domain I’ve BO at dropcatch has resulted in an auction or it’s solely awarded to me if no one else placed an order.

Yes, you can argue about insider bidding but that’s hearsay. What epik does is flat out take domains at zero cost or risk. Pathetic.

All expiry stream will be going to NameLiquidate, you can't seem to read that part of my responses.

They gamed the system because they do it best?

Again, they catch all they can but honor all BO and in the case of multiple BO there is an auction.

How does that compare to a registrar keeping valuable inventory for themselves?

You’re clearly in bed with Epik so you’re opinion is biased.

Right, you could said I biased Epik against taking names. I see the expiry stream and sometimes there are names I want to keep, but don't. Show me another registrar that has a leadership team that admits this and actively works to change it?

I had a similar opinion than you do now before I joined Epik, you have no idea what it feels to have $100,000 tied up in a third party bank account to cover domains that are expired. It's a requirement! You are not entitled to the domains after a certain day, the extended expired days are a courtesy. Godaddy lists your domains for sale involuntarily at day 14-17 and takes them. You see that changing anytime soon?

My opinion is that registrants should be rewarded BEFORE their domains are dropped/taken/resold. I simply explained how DC is able to outperform with their catching service. No opinion there.

It's just not possible, we are trying to file to another registrar for a corporate project I lead and it will take months. I have no idea how they were able to get so many registrars in such a concise period of time.

Last edited:
•••
It's just not possible, we are trying to file to another registrar for a corporate project I lead and it will take months. I have no idea how they were able to get so many registrars in such a concise period of time.

they bought used / second hand registars

•••
All expiry stream will be going to NameLiquidate, you can't seem to read that part of my responses.

Right, you could said I biased Epik against taking names. I see the expiry stream and sometimes there are names I want to keep, but don't. Show me another registrar that has a leadership team that admits this and actively works to change it?

I had a similar opinion than you do now before I joined Epik, you have no idea what it feels to have $100,000 tied up in a third party bank account to cover domains that are expired. It's a requirement! You are not entitled to the domains after a certain day, the extended expired days are a courtesy. Godaddy lists your domains for sale involuntarily at day 14-17 and takes them. You see that changing anytime soon?

My opinion is that registrants should be rewarded BEFORE their domains are dropped/taken/resold. I simply explained how DC is able to outperform with their catching service. No opinion there.

Can you share how short of time, Dan?
I figured it’d take them years. (6 to be exact)

The article said DropCatch enters expiry business with a bang was from 2014.
Six years to acquire thousand plus registrars.
How? and how much! mentioned DropCatch launched NameBright; guess this was their #1

Admire business acumen, but just not fair lol.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••

Nice. After how many days after expiration will they get listed on NL? This will definitely bring more attention to the platform.

•••

Do you actually know how long they took to register their registrars. Sorry I don't. But I imagine they filed the same paperwork for every register in a tranche. So once 1 is approved they all would be approved. They've done more one tranche. Maybe 2 or 3 tranches at different times. Intimate knowledge of the process too. So I would expect they would only take approx the same time as your 1 registrar application, per tranche. It's not a linear process. 1 registration taking 2 months therefore 2000 registrations take 4000 months (humorous comment only). And deep pockets of course :)

Last edited:
•••
Nice. After how many days after expiration will they get listed on NL? This will definitely bring more attention to the platform.

We are still yet to agree on this, I dont want to remove domains too early and I think the community should agree to it voluntarily. So we are stuck between running ALL domains and only those from accounts that have agreed to let us.

•••
Definition of working behind the scenes...

2014 seemed too sudden,

Thanks Lox.

Samer

The thing is, you have entered into a very strange world where you'll be able to turn $1000 into $100 and still benefit from the deal/sale. (y) 1001 DC llc

Last edited:
•••
Do you actually know how long they took to register their registrars. Sorry I don't. But I imagine they filed the same paperwork for every register in a tranche. So once 1 is approved they all would be approved. They've done more one tranche. Maybe 2 or 3 tranches at different times. Intimate knowledge of the process too. So I would expect they would only take approx the same time as your 1 registrar application, per tranche. It's not a linear process. 1 registration taking 2 months therefore 2000 registrations take 4000 months (humorous comment only).

If it's taking us more than 3 months to initiate the process for a second registrar, I would imagine it took them a decade of daily work. I could not tell you if they purchased them or not, but I don't believe you can rename them after they have been assigned a name.

•••
If it's taking us more than 3 months to initiate the process for a second registrar, I would imagine it took them a decade of daily work. I could not tell you if they purchased them or not, but I don't believe you can rename them after they have been assigned a name.

That's what money and ingenuity can buy you. The resources you need to make it all work. I'm not talking corruption here. I imagine it doesn't take that much longer to produce 1000 applications than it takes to produce 1. When the only difference between them is an increase of a number by 1 in the registrar name :)

•••
Show me another registrar that has a leadership team that admits this and actively works to change it?

A perfect example of Epik going against the established way of doing business as a registrar, one of the things I admire about Epik really.

We are still yet to agree on this, I dont want to remove domains too early and I think the community should agree to it voluntarily. So we are stuck between running ALL domains and only those from accounts that have agreed to let us.

I imagine most users won't mind getting a share of the revenue from their expirations. That said maybe you could offer a way to opt-out and those customers names would go straight to RGP instead. TBH I don't know any registrar that gives users a choice. Between that and revenue sharing I think that's a powerful new model, and one that doesn't just benefit HD/DC.

Last edited:
•••
My sympathies are with the clerk who has to scrap compiling the application because they found a mistake, and they have to copy and compile the applications again. But no complaints from the clerk. That's what they are paid to do :) Fictitious imagination running wild :)

Last edited:
•••
We want registrars to operate with integrity and implement their policies the exact same way, for every registrant and domain name on the platform.

Epik does not do that. Case closed.
My transfer-in price changed twice in 02/25-03/02. I don't know why this is, but the final interpretation right belongs to EPIK.

•••
upload_2020-3-3_23-10-1.png

•••
Rob is showing us there’s value to be had in expiring streams. i should know.. i look through them daily, and there’s always value be had. this why i quit hand-registration for most part

really think you’re overlooking this.

Thanks for sharing sales data, Rob!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
•••
Holy not so hidden agenda items

are you guys the same people who get at Rob for “not” sharing sales? Wow >,< even when he does, share sales —and how where got it

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Rob is showing us there’s value to be had in expiring streams. Samer
I’ll assume this is a joke.

The value comes in the fact that he took the domain without competing to get it. I can steal your car and sell it for big profit. If I buy your car on the open market, my profit at point of sale dramatically decreases, if I profit at all.

•••
Yup, abusing the system for personal, financial gain.
And for whose financial gain do you attempt to resell your domains for at 10-100x?

•••
And for whose financial gain do you attempt to resell your domains for at 10-100x?
I buy my domains, I don’t take them in a zero risk game.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back