Dynadot

poll After expiry should a registrar give a domain back to the pool?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

after expiry should a registrar give a domain back to the pool?

• 1st

they should give it back in any case

votes
    65.2%
  • 2nd

they may do whatever they want

votes
    21.7%
  • 3rd

I don't like this poll

votes
    5.8%
  • 4th

I don't care

votes
    4.3%
  • 5th

they may be allowed in some cases

votes
    2.9%

• 69 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
As for managing the expiry stream, each day I have to decide which domains to let go to Snapnames after the grace period. This is a very efficient process done through a single screen with some analytics.

On some days, the review involves a lot of names with really no time to research them. It is a quick gut decision of whether or not to let a name to go to the wolves or to warehouse them.

so there was a discussion going on
what a registrar should be doing when a domain drops

1) should they be allowed to keep it for their own use and exploitation?
2) should they always give it back to the pool?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Likely result, domains go directly to redemption grace period upon expiration. Many won't pay the reactivation fee. Huge Domains portfolio grows like crazy.

don't complain about dropcatch

you have the same 2 hands and 1 brain as Andrew

build your own dropcatch

Last edited:
•••
At least they allow customers to place BO and compete for dropped domains. Nobody wins when epik keeps a domain, except epik.

I think that is the epitome of corruption of the system.

•••
don't complain about dropcatch

you have the same 2 hands and 1 brain as Andrew

build your own dropcatch

Easier sad than done, Frank. Don't DropCatch own 2/3rds of ICANN's registrars?

•••
At least they allow customers to place BO and compete for dropped domains. Nobody wins when epik keeps a domain, except epik.

Do you work for HD? I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

Last edited:
•••
Easier sad than done, Frank. Don't DropCatch own 2/3rds of ICANN's registrars?

1200 registrars
so you don't waste time

•••

Nobody wins when a $20 domain sells for $500 to HugeDomains, except for Godaddy. avoid Godaddy expired auction like the plague and only Godaddy Closeouts are viable.

I see a lot of people don't even bother fighting anymore terminator machines run GD Auctions other than few gems, people are after. HD is spending a good portion of their funds to keep buying domains, 6+million strong, growing. —Epik 1 million managed, @Rob Monster?— Keith, you are a happy GoDaddy customer — and I happy epik client. This isnt about Epik. Leave Epik alone.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I only just noticed the poll, Frank. I voted for #1 (of course). I see I'm not alone. But this process is like a sponge. I think, if the cleaning up of the domain expiring process will only put opportunities in the way of others. I agree with you. DropCatch looked at the problem, and devised a system which gobbles up any good expiring domains it wants. But they invested a LOT of money into this free market, have excellent execution, and they deserve their success. But at least it is the free market at work. It's not these thieving b* (use your preferred adjective) domain registrars, manipulating the system, in order to line their own pockets.

•••
I only just noticed the poll, Frank. I voted for #1 (of course). I see I'm not alone. But this process is like a sponge. I think, if the cleaning up of the domain expiring process will only put opportunities in the way of others. I agree with you. DropCatch looked at the problem, and devised a system which gobbles up any good expiring domains it wants. But they invested a LOT of money into this free market, have excellent execution, and they deserve their success. But at least it is the free market at work. It's not these thieving b* (use your preferred adjective) domain registrars, manipulating the system, in order to line their own pockets.

Wait so HD does it it's just a free market but domain registrars aren't? No one is forcing you to use any specific registrar if you dont like their policies. If it came to everything dropping HD would become a monopoly overnight.

•••

they done a fantastic job
they have a huge overhead

they have taken a high risk
and done the right thing at the right time

why do you think epik has 1 registrar and dropcatch 1200?

( the operation cost of a registrar is about $4000 USD per every 3 month plus infrastructure plus salaries )

do they deserve it?
absolutely

do I hate it?
of course

•••
Wait so HD does it it's just a free market but domain registrars aren't? No one is forcing you to use any specific registrar if you dont like their policies. If it came to everything dropping HD would become a monopoly overnight.

I don't like ANY of the Registrars. I have 1 preferred Registrar, which I joined in 2005, and moved my thousands of domains too. But I'm critical of them also. What the registrars are doing IS NOT a free market at work. They are preying on the weaknesses of ICANN. What DropCatch is doing is the free market.

•••
Nobody wins when a $20 domain sells for $500 to HugeDomains except for Godaddy. I avoid Godaddy expired auction like the plague only the Godaddy Closeouts are viable.

I see a lot of people don't even bother fighting anymore terminator machines run GD Auctions other than few gems, people are after. HD is spending a good portion of their funds to keep buying domains, 6+million strong, growing. —Epik 1 million managed, @Rob Monster?— Keith, you are a happy GoDaddy customer — and I happy epik client. This isnt about Epik. Leave Epik alone.

Samer

you got fooled
epik does not have 1 million domains registered

they have a management tool where
1 million domains are in the database
that's a completely different story
( called "external domains" within the epik interface)

•••
they done a fantastic job

they have taken a high risk
and done the right thing at the right time

why do you think epik has 1 registrar and dropcatch 1200?

( the operation cost of a registrar is about $4000 USD per every 3 month plus infrastructure plus salaries )

do they deserve it?
absolutely

do I hate it?
of course

Because they dont need more. That said if everything goes to the drop ICANN would be flooded with more accreditation application from the likes of GD, Epik, and others building up to participate in the drop. Then they will end up getting those domains back just at a higher cost.

•••
I don't like ANY of the Registrars. I have 1 preferred Registrar, which I joined in 2005, and moved my thousands of domains too. But I'm critical of them also. What the registrars are doing IS NOT a free market at work. They are preying on the weaknesses of ICANN. What DropCatch is doing is the free market.

Start your own then.

•••
•••
you got fooled
epik does not have 1 million domains registered

they have a management tool where
1 million domains are in the database
that's a completely different story
( called "external domains" within the epik interface)

~450,000 and growing per https://www.DomainState/top-registrars.html?CurPage=3

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Because they dont need more. That said if everything goes to the drop ICANN would be flooded with more accreditation application from the likes of GD, Epik, and others building up to participate in the drop. Then they will end up getting those domains back just at a higher cost.

the cost would be $7.68 USD as before

•••
the cost would be $7.68 USD as before

Not once you add ICANN fees for additional creds at $4000/yr/cred, last I heard. So for 1200 like HD/DC that's 4.8million per year.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Do you work for HD? I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.
No

It’s ridiculous for people to bid in a public auction but it’s fine for a registrar to keep domains basically at no cost. Say what?

•••
Not once you add ICANN fees for additional creds at $4000/yr/cred, last I heard. So for 1200 like HD/DC that's 4.8million per year.

the cost are the same for everybody I assume

•••
No

It’s ridiculous for people to bid in a public auction but it’s fine for a registrar to keep domains basically at no cost. Say what?

HD does the same keeping the ones they like for their own portfolio. In fact I'd say more ai. Robs portfolio probably looks quite tiny compared to HD.

•••
What DropCatch is doing is the free market.

Far from it, the entire infrastructure relies on the (artificially) limited number of queries one registrar is allowed to make per second and per day. If it were the free market, you would see something similar to how wallstreet is trading right now with high-frequency computers. All players would want to be nearest to the Verisign servers to try to snag names based on speed and not on number of paper registrars. But that's why I said, props to them for gaming the system.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back