Dynadot

Advice to newbies: stöp régisterìng µs€less IDNs !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kate

Domainosaurus RexTop Member
Impact
OK I see so many fake IDNs being registered than I feel compelled to write this.
I will post this only once.

Names like pízza drînk cařs ßanana etc are worth zero, period :!:

Example: just because televisîon yields about 335,000,000 results in google does not mean you should register it.
Please understand that search engines return data based on a case-insensitive search, so take the habit to use the + operator to perform a strict search, like this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=fhz&q=+televisîon&btnG=Search
Result:
Results 1 - 6 of 6 for +televisîon

Bottom line: these are not real words, they mean nothing to an end user, they likely won't get any traffic and are unfit for development. Last but not least they have no particular SEO benefits :kickass:

Do not waste your money, register real IDN words instead ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Word.

They deleted the entire thread I started warning about this same thing.

•••
jacksonm - Your thread was deleted because you were attacking a particular member and their "Sales" thread.

If you have a problem with a listing here - You need to report it and help us out , But you Do Not crash Sales threads. I have enough problem with my native language (English) So admittedly , I will not regulate IDN threads when I know I have no idea what I'm talking about. Please report problems you see with an explanation and we will do what we can to make that section as legitimate as possible.

Kate on the other hand has posted a Helpful thread without attacking anyone in particular :tu:

•••
Mark said:
jacksonm - Your thread was deleted because you were attacking a particular member and their "Sales" thread.

If you have a problem with a listing here - You need to report it and help us out , But you Do Not crash Sales threads. I have enough problem with my native language (English) So admittedly , I will not regulate IDN threads when I know I have no idea what I'm talking about. Please report problems you see with an explanation and we will do what we can to make that section as legitimate as possible.

Kate on the other hand has posted a Helpful thread without attacking anyone in particular :tu:

Registering and listing those type of domains is bad behavior plain and simple. If it's wrong to point that out in public, then I'm guilty. I can't stand by and let my fellow man think he's getting a deal by buying one of these type of domains . I'm sorry, I just can't do it.

What is needed is a knowledgeable moderator for the IDN Sales section, and a sensible set of rules. If you want to hire me for the job, I'll do it. PM if interested.

•••
Kath said:
OK I see so many fake IDNs being registered than I feel compelled to write this.
I will post this only once.

Names like pízza drînk cařs ßanana etc are worth zero, period :!:

Example: just because televisîon yields about 335,000,000 results in google does not mean you should register it.

Agreed, the only reason people reg those names are for so called "seo" reasons. I'm sure that down the track it won't work for them as search engines will get smart about this practise.

Kath said:

Right on! :tu:

•••
htmlindex said:
Agreed, the only reason people reg those names are for so called "seo" reasons. I'm sure that down the track it won't work for them as search engines will get smart about this practise.

9 times out of 10, the only reason people register these type of names is to try to sell them on Ebay and of course they mention the "seo" reasons in their sales pitch. I have nothing but contempt for these type of people.

•••
you don't need to just standby, report it, use this button
report.gif

jacksonm said:
Registering and listing those type of domains is bad behavior plain and simple. If it's wrong to point that out in public, then I'm guilty. I can't stand by and let my fellow man think he's getting a deal by buying one of these type of domains . I'm sorry, I just can't do it.

What is needed is a knowledgeable moderator for the IDN Sales section, and a sensible set of rules. If you want to hire me for the job, I'll do it. PM if interested.

•••
weblord said:
report.gif

Thanks for the good tip! I didn't notice that button before.

•••
This thread should be stickied.

•••
•••
Kath said:

Kath,
although it is a good advice, I can't fully agree with you.

Why people are registering xgxt.com, fbdw.net etc.? They are not real words, but within a certain period, there will be a huge demand for 2, 3 and even 4 letter domain names in major tlds.

Like that, people have started registering 1L, 2L, 3L IDN domains under .com. I hate registering phishing names, but I don't think registering 1L, 2L or 3L IDN names is a crime. Like the demand for 1L, 2L and 3L ASCII names, within a certain period of time, definitely there will be a huge demand for 1L, 2L and 3L IDN names, just IMO.

Please share your views on this. Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
.tv said:
Please share your views on this. Thank you.

I agree with you somewhat, e.g. that names like oö.com are valuable - it's a very common short name for "Ost-Österreich" (East Austria), similar with nö.com. I'm sure there are more. For many 2 or 3 char combos with ä,å,ö, etc. there may be an organization or area for which this is an abbreviation.

But the spoofs of English words with French accents, Czech diacritics, or homographed with cyrillic characters, etc is BS, plain and simple. This type of behaviour should be condemned by everyone who sees it, immediately and swiftly.

•••
.tv said:
Why people are registering xgxt.com, fbdw.net etc.? They are not real words, but within a certain period, there will be a huge demand for 2, 3 and even 4 letter domain names in major tlds.
Well I think these are speculative moves most of the time.
LLLL.com are a good bet if they are actual words or possible acronyms - they have always been.
On the other hand a name like xgxt.com does not look like a good acronym to me, unless you have a Chinese buyer maybe :)
I think it will take time to find the right buyer for that one, other than another domainer ;)
Nonetheless I would say there is some remote hope here.

But with non-existent words there is no hope.

•••
Good thread. I've wondered about some of these reg's.

•••
weblord said:
report.gif

Reporting a couple of bad threads there over 10 hours ago didn't seem to evoke any response at all. I wonder if it's really effective.

The section will remain illegitimate as long as these type of domains are allowed to be pumped and dumped.

•••
kath, i agree with you. but geez jackson, give it a rest already.

•••
go to
http://www.namepros.com/reported-threads/
to see your report threads being resolved.

jacksonm said:
Reporting a couple of bad threads there over 10 hours ago didn't seem to evoke any response at all. I wonder if it's really effective.

The section will remain illegitimate as long as these type of domains are allowed to be pumped and dumped.

•••
mike55 said:
kath, i agree with you. but geez jackson, give it a rest already.
Going to have to agree here...

•••
I think anytime somebody registers pízza.com for example and then lists it to sell, 1) and translates it as pizza and/or 2) doesn't bother indicating that its a 5 character domain and not a real word (I assume pízza is not a real word in another language since it only get 1,860 results in google with quotes). http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...a:en-US:official&hs=hws&q="pízza"&btnG=Search

then YES I think they are misleading and it hurts the IDN market and the IDN market here will go where if those type of names are registered and listed here. IMO.

all IDN sales threads should have these things included

Language
Translation
punycode

or list it as a llll, lllll ect domain or mixed character domain

I hope no one here registered pízza.com, I just used it an example from the first post
tee1

Last edited:
•••
I have рор.com, which is a 3 letter Russian IDN name, but not sure about the meaning.

It receives a decent traffic from Russia, and Ukraine.

Traffic Stats:

308kwgx.gif

•••
.tv said:
I have рор.com, which is a 3 letter Russian IDN name, but not sure about the meaning.

Well, this is ROR in ASCII characters, which is a quite popular web programming framework (Ruby On Rails). You might have something there.

•••
jacksonm said:
Well, this is ROR in ASCII characters, which is a quite popular web programming framework (Ruby On Rails). You might have something there.

Thanks for clarifying. :great:

•••
.tv said:
Thanks for clarifying. :great:

No problem. Keep that explanation in mind when you get inquiries for this domain from a Russian/Ukrainian person - that you know why they want it and that you know what it means to them. I think that somebody will eventually inquire about this domain.

BTW, this domain is far more valuable than any English word which has substituted accent characters.

•••
tee1 said:
all IDN sales threads should have these things included
Language
Translation
punycode
agree tee1, except for the translation

Offering a translation helps sell the domain, but is often insufficient and is frequently misleading!! Seller should choose to either omit it (obviously buyer should beware i not native speaker) or offer some description indicating if it's the primary term, any other meanings, etc.

But you're right, language and punycode should be absolutely required for IDN sales threads.

•••
bocanames said:
agree tee1, except for the translation

Offering a translation helps sell the domain, but is often insufficient and is frequently misleading!! Seller should choose to either omit it (obviously buyer should beware i not native speaker) or offer some description indicating if it's the primary term, any other meanings, etc.

But you're right, language and punycode should be absolutely required for IDN sales threads.

The format should look like this:

Unicode:
Punycode:
Script:
Language:
Meaning:

Examples:

Unicode: köln.com
Punycode: xn--kln-sna.com
Script: Latin
Language: German
Meaning: Cologne (City in Germany)

Unicode: фото.com
Punycode: xn--n1aalg.com
Script: Cyrillic
Language: Russian
Meaning: Photo

Unicode: الهلال.net
Punycode:xn--mgba0gabp.net
Script: Arabic
Language: Arabic
Meaning: The Crescent

Unicode: pízza.com
Punycode: xn--pzza-vpa.com
Script: Latin
Language: None
Meaning: Fake word, look-alike of the English word Pizza

etc.

This is a quite compact and informative listing model.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back