Domain Empire

Above.com Review

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Where was I? I had all my .com domains at Parked and everything else at Bodis. Back in February I was waxing lyrical about Parked being back on top of their game. I had 2 months where I received almost record payouts (of all time... maybe in 3-4 years of parking). Then everything fell off a cliff and I was getting approx 2/3rds less. On 7th July I received only about $6.50 in revenue, which was abysmal. The day before that I had decided to try Above.com.

What is Above.com? In short, it's a traffic forwarder to your Parking Accounts. It decides where to send the traffic for each domain based upon which parking service gives the best returns. This sounds great. No longer do you need to park a group of domains with company A for a couple of months, enter the results into a spreadsheet, then park them at company B for a couple of months, enter the results in a spreadsheet. And so on. Now all this is done in Real Time, by Above.com.

Who are Above.com? They are part of the Trellian network of companies, who I first came across using their KeywordDisovery.com tool. So, I had confidence in them from the getgo.

It was easy to setup an account. You then go to Manage Accounts and setup the Parking Companies you wish to use from the list of companies they support. I chose Bodis, Parked, TrafficZ, DomainSponsor. The latter two I probably haven't used in a couple of years. You need to provide your username and password for each account. Of course there is a slight risk in this, but given the size of Trellian, I didn't have a real problem with this.

You can then go to Manage Folders and setup Folders for groups of domains. I however, imported everything into the default folder. Subsequently, I created two other folders, 1) Revenue, and 2) No Revenue. I moved everything from the default folder to No Revenue, and then moved them to Revenue, once Above.com reported revenue. You do this by downloading the .CSV file for the Non-Revenue domains, sort the SpreadSheet by Revenue, and then copy/past these into the Add Domains to the Revenue Folder. There is no copy/move command in Above.com. You either Add or Remove Domains, and Above.com moves the domains to the new Folder.

You of course have to add all your domains to each Parking Service individually (even if this can be done in bulk).

What is Maximizer? This is Above.com's inhouse Parking Service. They say that by some complex algorythms they monetize visitors which are poorly monetized by regular parking companies. For example, Asian traffic. When I look at the stats compared to the other parking companies (which is easy to do by clicking on Statistics and choosing what you want), I see mostly very low rates per click, like $0.02, significantly less than the rates/click for the same domain from the other parking companies. Who is to say that Above.com got it right or not? Maximizer provided about 1/5th of my Total Revenue for August. I've turned it off for Sept to see how the portfolio perform without it.

The Statistics are very comprehensive. You can select one or more parking services and a whole slew of stats like clicks, revenue, EPC etc.

How is support? I think there is only 1 support personnel. I usually get answers to my questions in about 1-3 days. So not the speediest support in the world, but I can't think of any support question which requires an immediate reply. So i'm reasonably satisfied.

How did I do? Well Above.com say it takes about 2 months to get your portfolio optimized. It's now been just two months for me. So maybe my best month will be Sept. But anyhow, in August, my 2nd month, Above.com managed to give me returns just below my record earnings of February. So, about 80-100% better than my earnings in June. This is a significant jump in earnings. It was split (in approx terms) 20% each from Bodis, Maximizer, DomainSponsor, and most of the rest from Parked. Almost nothing from TrafficZ, barely making the minimum payment for both July and August.

The website is sometimes a bit flakey. Not really surprising considering the amount of data they must be churning out. But usually it works itself out within a short time, usually minutes. My biggest gripe is that the Statistics Reports only allow you report 100 domains per page (whereas the Reports allow 1000). Also that there is no portfolio total reported in the Stats. You have to add up each page total.

Am I going to continue with Above.com? You betcha! I've disable the Maximizer to see how my portfolio performs without it and I'll probably disable TrafficZ also. I'd recommend to anyone to try Above.com. It really take away the drudgery of manually testing domains at different parking services.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This month is going to be a complete bust for me. Might be my worst month ever. Bodis is the worst dropping, but across the board, Bodis, DS, Voodoo are producing between 30%-44% drop in EPC whilst CTR has remained fairly constant. Total Visitors also down.

Last edited:
•••
Is Above.com down for anyone else? The site is working, but none of my domains are showing ads, just says the domain name can't be found.

•••
Didn't had any problem with Above.com during the last days.

•••
Above.com's servers constantly go down during late evenings U.S. time. This is resulting in lost traffic and revenue for me. They are also taking an extremely long time to respond to support emails (several days). I am getting pretty fed up with this BS and am taking my portfolio elsewhere.

•••
Afaik, there is no "elsewhere" when it comes to the services Above.com provide. If your support is over the weekend, you should bear in mind there is no support over the weekends.

•••
Above.com's servers constantly go down during late evenings U.S. time. This is resulting in lost traffic and revenue for me. They are also taking an extremely long time to respond to support emails (several days). I am getting pretty fed up with this BS and am taking my portfolio elsewhere.

this happened also to me..

i had some domains on above.. for some no problem.. but one domain of mine was parked to nothing for 4 days.. so i moved all my domains away.. i've not contacted the support..

•••
Above.com not working for 3 days now (zero reported visitors, clicks, and revenue). They must be having serious problems. I'd advise everyone to at least temporarily change their NameServers to their favorite parking company until this is fixed. It's what I've done.

•••
Because we use so many parking services for our portfolio, above is great at keeping all the revenue organized, and it is super convenient to have one place to look up parking stats when determining selling price. The one complaint I have right now is there reporting feature needs some serious work. I much preferred Bodis' reporting system.

•••
An update to my revenues.

Aug 12 - 56% of my best month ever (Dec 11). The bust I was predicting above.
Sep 12 - 62%
Oct 12 - 74%
Nov 12 - 82%
Dec 12 - 100%

So back on track again in Dec 12. But at the end of November I switch all my domains to Voodoo bypassing Above.com because of all the problems they were having at end of November. About 4th Jan I reverted back to using Above.com to find the best revenue producer for my domains. So lets see what January brings.

Last edited:
•••
change a domain for "above.com" but When replacing the server gave me error page in the browser. someone knows why?

•••
Did you add the parking provider and the domain name to above.com?

•••
change a domain for "above.com" but When replacing the server gave me error page in the browser. someone knows why?

Same problem.
Some domain names don't load.

•••
Have you both reported this to Above.com? What is their explanation?

•••
"Thank you for your message.

I have had the above.com programer look into this issue for you and he is not
having an issue with the domains, what could be happening is it might be a
antivirus or security software blocking the sites."

Last edited:
•••
I have a lot of domain in parking with SEDO.I have understand that "Above" maximize the revenue/profit and it compares more parking company,but I have a banal question: If I change the DNS setting of my domain with "ns1.above.com...." after I am automatically deleted(the domain) from Sedo?Its obligatory to change Dns setting to add domain on "Above"?

Last edited:
•••
Yes. It's obligatory to change the nameservers to Above.com. But you must remember Above.com is a forwarder to your existing parking companies. So you must have parking accounts with every parking company you use with above.com. It saves you the effort of trying each company manually. Which can take months. You should also understand that you have to add each domain to each parking company you use. I recommend it.

•••
update : seams to work now - it may have been locally only .

Last edited:
•••
Here are stats for January 2013.

Jan13 was my third best month ever at 93% of Dec12 (my best month ever). It was only bested by the xmas months of Dec11 and Dec12.

Revenue was split: Voodoo 67% DomainSponsor 17% Bodis 14% ParkingCrew 2%

January was a little bit weird because it followed the weird month of Dec12 where I parked everything at Voodoo for the month because of the problems Above.com was having at end of Nov12. So the other parking providers were at a disadvantage in Jan because they were playing catch-up to Voodoo from Dec. I expect the shares to level out somewhat in February, but expect Voodoo to hold onto at least 50% share. In my mind Voodoo is the best performing parking company at the moment, out of the companies I use.

Last edited:
•••
i can't find the monthly chart but here is my past 7 days :

6.1 % bodis
18 % domainsponsor
16.4 % parkingcrew
56 % voodoo

not sure about domainsponsor as i just added them a few weeks ago and i noticed that the revenue gois up and down many times during the next 2 days - so you never know how much you made until 2 or 3 days later - realy wierd.
this is not my whole portfolio so if i add my other domains to it - it may change.

•••
That's interesting. It kind of reflects what I'm am achieving in general if you swap the Bodis, PC %ages. Personally, I'd like to see your stats over a normal month. You have to calc the %ages yourself.

•••
well , I think above.com is only suitable for you have big traffic, if you earn lessthan 50cents every month ,it is no sense

•••
Well that's true, except you'd rather have 80cts than 25cts. So it's always worth optimizing, just in case.

•••
Hello,

It's normal to get a discrepancy between Sedo and above?

For the same domain, yesterday, I have 14 uniques on sedo and only 1 uniques reported on Above. :/

Do you know which one I can believe?

- I'm still struggling to do my first click ... :td: -

•••
I think you need to wait a couple of days until the red figures on Above are finalized, before you make any comparisons.

•••
Is it worth persevering with a parking company in Above.com which is only providing about 5% of my total monthly revenue, or should I remove it and redirect the traffic the other parking companies?

Same for Maximizer which is providing 0.5% of my total parking revenue?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back