IT.COM

Above.com Review

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Where was I? I had all my .com domains at Parked and everything else at Bodis. Back in February I was waxing lyrical about Parked being back on top of their game. I had 2 months where I received almost record payouts (of all time... maybe in 3-4 years of parking). Then everything fell off a cliff and I was getting approx 2/3rds less. On 7th July I received only about $6.50 in revenue, which was abysmal. The day before that I had decided to try Above.com.

What is Above.com? In short, it's a traffic forwarder to your Parking Accounts. It decides where to send the traffic for each domain based upon which parking service gives the best returns. This sounds great. No longer do you need to park a group of domains with company A for a couple of months, enter the results into a spreadsheet, then park them at company B for a couple of months, enter the results in a spreadsheet. And so on. Now all this is done in Real Time, by Above.com.

Who are Above.com? They are part of the Trellian network of companies, who I first came across using their KeywordDisovery.com tool. So, I had confidence in them from the getgo.

It was easy to setup an account. You then go to Manage Accounts and setup the Parking Companies you wish to use from the list of companies they support. I chose Bodis, Parked, TrafficZ, DomainSponsor. The latter two I probably haven't used in a couple of years. You need to provide your username and password for each account. Of course there is a slight risk in this, but given the size of Trellian, I didn't have a real problem with this.

You can then go to Manage Folders and setup Folders for groups of domains. I however, imported everything into the default folder. Subsequently, I created two other folders, 1) Revenue, and 2) No Revenue. I moved everything from the default folder to No Revenue, and then moved them to Revenue, once Above.com reported revenue. You do this by downloading the .CSV file for the Non-Revenue domains, sort the SpreadSheet by Revenue, and then copy/past these into the Add Domains to the Revenue Folder. There is no copy/move command in Above.com. You either Add or Remove Domains, and Above.com moves the domains to the new Folder.

You of course have to add all your domains to each Parking Service individually (even if this can be done in bulk).

What is Maximizer? This is Above.com's inhouse Parking Service. They say that by some complex algorythms they monetize visitors which are poorly monetized by regular parking companies. For example, Asian traffic. When I look at the stats compared to the other parking companies (which is easy to do by clicking on Statistics and choosing what you want), I see mostly very low rates per click, like $0.02, significantly less than the rates/click for the same domain from the other parking companies. Who is to say that Above.com got it right or not? Maximizer provided about 1/5th of my Total Revenue for August. I've turned it off for Sept to see how the portfolio perform without it.

The Statistics are very comprehensive. You can select one or more parking services and a whole slew of stats like clicks, revenue, EPC etc.

How is support? I think there is only 1 support personnel. I usually get answers to my questions in about 1-3 days. So not the speediest support in the world, but I can't think of any support question which requires an immediate reply. So i'm reasonably satisfied.

How did I do? Well Above.com say it takes about 2 months to get your portfolio optimized. It's now been just two months for me. So maybe my best month will be Sept. But anyhow, in August, my 2nd month, Above.com managed to give me returns just below my record earnings of February. So, about 80-100% better than my earnings in June. This is a significant jump in earnings. It was split (in approx terms) 20% each from Bodis, Maximizer, DomainSponsor, and most of the rest from Parked. Almost nothing from TrafficZ, barely making the minimum payment for both July and August.

The website is sometimes a bit flakey. Not really surprising considering the amount of data they must be churning out. But usually it works itself out within a short time, usually minutes. My biggest gripe is that the Statistics Reports only allow you report 100 domains per page (whereas the Reports allow 1000). Also that there is no portfolio total reported in the Stats. You have to add up each page total.

Am I going to continue with Above.com? You betcha! I've disable the Maximizer to see how my portfolio performs without it and I'll probably disable TrafficZ also. I'd recommend to anyone to try Above.com. It really take away the drudgery of manually testing domains at different parking services.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I always wanted to try Above.com and maybe I will this time.

I know opening an acount is free, but can you tell me how Above makes money?

•••
I think they make money from the clicks of domains forwarded to them but not in anybody's account. I also think they make money from commissions they receive when you sign up for a service via them.

•••
It would be nice to receive an official statement as well.

I wanted to know if they probably get a % of impression on our domains on one of their account or if they shoot pop-unders on parked domain names.

Or Let's say I have bodis and voodoo but they will park it on their parking services like once every 10 visitors.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
You won't get an official statement. I think they do nothing shady to increase their revenues, but I could be wrong. All I can say is my parking revenue went up after I started using Above.com. And remains up because of using them.

•••
You won't get an official statement. I think they do nothing shady to increase their revenues, but I could be wrong. All I can say is my parking revenue went up after I started using Above.com. And remains up because of using them.

How many domains did you park with the above.com ?

•••
Problem is they don't support InternetTraffic (or better, IT doesn't allow them).

IT converts fine with English names but I'm getting nothing for European ccTLDs.

In addition to that on IT many of my domain names are displaying ad links that don't match with the domain names target.

That's the reason why i want to try above

•••
it is down or very slow almost daily !

Last edited:
•••
What? Internet Traffic or Above? I haven't experienced any downtime and very little slowness on Above.com. Admittedly it might be slower than when I started. I visit Above.com about 5 times a day, to do various tasks and/or look at my revenues

•••
above !
why would you question this -what motive could i possibly have to post stuff like this if it is not true ?
it has issues every single day - everything from import error to login error or the error messages come up - error 503 server not found ect. !

i try to get reports and it goes fine for a few minutes then after that it takes several minute and it then does not even reload to finish the report .

these are facts it is NOTHING i would post if it would not be true !!

these are facts take it or leave it !!

•••
I don't get any of those errors. Although it might be you use above differently to me. But I don't get any login errors, and it must be about a year since I had a server not found error. I am not getting report errors either. Look. I'm not attacking you or favorably supporting Above. All I'm saying is I don't get the errors you are getting. So don't be so sensitive about me trying to help.

You might try clearing your browser cache or even trying another browser. Have you tried to traceroute them when you have those problems? Does it complete or time-out? If it times out, it isn't above's problem. I'm just trying to make helpful suggestions. I use Firefox as my browser. I live in Asia.

Last edited:
•••
Anybody else having problems with Above not loading namedrive pages as all. Just checked and stats at namedrive has been 0 for past few days, I tried typing a few domains that I know primary service is namedrive and either I get a blank page that says error le or no page loads at all with an error that says Problem loading page.

•••
Seems that some problems on namedrive's side. Their stats shows zeros during the last 3 days :(

•••
Ok, i got all my domain names on above for 3 days now.

I will see how it goes.

Previously I was on InternetTraffic and while I was doing good with U.S. traffic, it simply seems to not do good with EU traffic.

On above.com, I'm on RookMedia, Bodis, Vooodoo, ParkingCrew and DomainAdvertising.

Unfortunately I can't add InternetTraffic.com since it is not supported, but luckily I have all stats for InternetTraffic and would move thhose domain whom where getting more there before.

Should i disable the maximizer?
Today I also noticed while visiting one f the domain names parked at above.com, it get's redirected to searchtermresults.com with no frame so the address in the bar will be searchtermresults.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxx and not mydomain.com.
Which provides is using searchtermresults.com as landing page?

•••
Personally. If you listen the the Above.com BS, you shouldn't turn off Maximizer, because it's revenue you otherwise wouldn't get. But to be honest, it provides for such a miniscule amount of revenue, you could do without it. I keep it turned on. Because the returns are so small, I'm actually waiting for the next Maximizer payment before I turn it off.

•••
I have registered at above.com, but I just got Zero on the traffic report. My domain have hundreds visitor a day but on the above report tools just got 0. I have pointed to its Name server, but I don't know the problem. Anyone have same experiences with me? Thanks.

•••
Seems that some problems on namedrive's side. Their stats shows zeros during the last 3 days :(

Well good to know I am not the only one, hopefully this means some compensation from namedrive for loading blank pages.

I was under the impression with above that if one service went down it automatically would start redirecting to another provider, but it has been sending useless traffic for a while now?

•••
I have registered at above.com, but I just got Zero on the traffic report. My domain have hundreds visitor a day but on the above report tools just got 0. I have pointed to its Name server, but I don't know the problem. Anyone have same experiences with me? Thanks.

I assume you have pointed your domains to NS1./NS2.ABOVE.COM and have added your domains into above.com (just checking). The next thing to ask is how long since you added the domains? The DNS changes, although usually quick, can take up to 48hrs (sometimes even longer).

•••
Parking Companies

I know that Above.com is FREE, but what about the top parking companies? Do they charge a fee to get in and out of them to try another parking company? Im almost ready to register with Above and submit my domain names to them, once somebody answers me please. Thank you. Sorry if I posted in wrong thread, Im a newbie obviuosly, lol.

•••
Most of the common parking companies are free to join. Bodis requires 1 domain, Voodoo 10 domains, Parking Crew (I believe) is 1 domain.

•••
Hi I see a few questions on how Above makes money and here are the answers:

- Maximizer is our zero click program where we compete with the parking services and traffic is only sent there if we can beat the parking companies by at least 20% of what they are currently paying out, and this is where we retain a small margin and the lions share goes to the domainer. Yes this is still only a very small % of a domainers total revenues, but since its always guaranteed to make at least 20% more than parking, then no reason why not to have it turned on.

- We offer domain registration services and we hope all of our domainer clients come use our registrar with discounted registrar rates. If you dont have custom discounted rates and want to use our bulk registrar soltion that has parking stats integration, making renewals for domainers extremely easy, contact us.

- We offer a domain marketplace with escrow services, where we charge listing fees and also transaction/escrow fees to complete the trasnactions with automatic domain transfers and escrow service.

- We offer a range of Keyword data located at keyworddiscovery . com Data that many domains use to find domains to register, ofcourse at above registrar ;) and later seller at the Above market place...

So this is how Above.com makes revenues, so that the service is free for domainers.

Cheers
David

•••
Hi David,

Thank you for your insight into Above.com. Hope to see you around more often.

•••
how about answering support tickets - or how about fixing the system import - my account shows import errors for the domain sponsor account for the past 4 days - and no answer from my support ticket or account manager ...

•••
how about answering support tickets - or how about fixing the system import - my account shows import errors for the domain sponsor account for the past 4 days - and no answer from my support ticket or account manager ...

Well its not isolated to you wolfis, I am showing the same import error on DS too.

•••
NOW AGAIN - THIS TIME THE WHOLE DS ACCOUNT DOES NOT SHOW UP !!!!

what is wrong with you people - are you unable to provide a system that works more than 5 minutes or not ?

hours later this support just ignores my messages - what a company !!

Last edited:
•••

Ha. I came here looking for something better than the bug-ridden Sedo.com parking system...... wow.

Online software systems are a real sad state of affairs out there. I dont think there are very many people who can put together an online system and test it PROPERLY. Amazing. I guess I will keep looking!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back