Dynadot

Above.com Review

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Where was I? I had all my .com domains at Parked and everything else at Bodis. Back in February I was waxing lyrical about Parked being back on top of their game. I had 2 months where I received almost record payouts (of all time... maybe in 3-4 years of parking). Then everything fell off a cliff and I was getting approx 2/3rds less. On 7th July I received only about $6.50 in revenue, which was abysmal. The day before that I had decided to try Above.com.

What is Above.com? In short, it's a traffic forwarder to your Parking Accounts. It decides where to send the traffic for each domain based upon which parking service gives the best returns. This sounds great. No longer do you need to park a group of domains with company A for a couple of months, enter the results into a spreadsheet, then park them at company B for a couple of months, enter the results in a spreadsheet. And so on. Now all this is done in Real Time, by Above.com.

Who are Above.com? They are part of the Trellian network of companies, who I first came across using their KeywordDisovery.com tool. So, I had confidence in them from the getgo.

It was easy to setup an account. You then go to Manage Accounts and setup the Parking Companies you wish to use from the list of companies they support. I chose Bodis, Parked, TrafficZ, DomainSponsor. The latter two I probably haven't used in a couple of years. You need to provide your username and password for each account. Of course there is a slight risk in this, but given the size of Trellian, I didn't have a real problem with this.

You can then go to Manage Folders and setup Folders for groups of domains. I however, imported everything into the default folder. Subsequently, I created two other folders, 1) Revenue, and 2) No Revenue. I moved everything from the default folder to No Revenue, and then moved them to Revenue, once Above.com reported revenue. You do this by downloading the .CSV file for the Non-Revenue domains, sort the SpreadSheet by Revenue, and then copy/past these into the Add Domains to the Revenue Folder. There is no copy/move command in Above.com. You either Add or Remove Domains, and Above.com moves the domains to the new Folder.

You of course have to add all your domains to each Parking Service individually (even if this can be done in bulk).

What is Maximizer? This is Above.com's inhouse Parking Service. They say that by some complex algorythms they monetize visitors which are poorly monetized by regular parking companies. For example, Asian traffic. When I look at the stats compared to the other parking companies (which is easy to do by clicking on Statistics and choosing what you want), I see mostly very low rates per click, like $0.02, significantly less than the rates/click for the same domain from the other parking companies. Who is to say that Above.com got it right or not? Maximizer provided about 1/5th of my Total Revenue for August. I've turned it off for Sept to see how the portfolio perform without it.

The Statistics are very comprehensive. You can select one or more parking services and a whole slew of stats like clicks, revenue, EPC etc.

How is support? I think there is only 1 support personnel. I usually get answers to my questions in about 1-3 days. So not the speediest support in the world, but I can't think of any support question which requires an immediate reply. So i'm reasonably satisfied.

How did I do? Well Above.com say it takes about 2 months to get your portfolio optimized. It's now been just two months for me. So maybe my best month will be Sept. But anyhow, in August, my 2nd month, Above.com managed to give me returns just below my record earnings of February. So, about 80-100% better than my earnings in June. This is a significant jump in earnings. It was split (in approx terms) 20% each from Bodis, Maximizer, DomainSponsor, and most of the rest from Parked. Almost nothing from TrafficZ, barely making the minimum payment for both July and August.

The website is sometimes a bit flakey. Not really surprising considering the amount of data they must be churning out. But usually it works itself out within a short time, usually minutes. My biggest gripe is that the Statistics Reports only allow you report 100 domains per page (whereas the Reports allow 1000). Also that there is no portfolio total reported in the Stats. You have to add up each page total.

Am I going to continue with Above.com? You betcha! I've disable the Maximizer to see how my portfolio performs without it and I'll probably disable TrafficZ also. I'd recommend to anyone to try Above.com. It really take away the drudgery of manually testing domains at different parking services.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From the Above Manual

Above.com Manual said:
Maximizer

When Enabled, Above.com will utilize various strategies to maximize the performance of all domains in the folder. An example of these strategies includes the Redirection of traffic from geographic regions typically not monetized by the parking services, such as Chinese Traffic.

The methods used include affiliate, CPC, CPA, and other feeds, when traffic is not well monetized by parking services.

By enabling this option, you authorize Above.com to employ such strategies to maximize the domain revenues. For more information, please contact your account manager.

•••
For the first 2/3rds of January, I'm running at a rate which will beat all my previous months sales with the exception of Dec-11. Things only need to improve slightly over the last 1/3rd of the month to maybe be a new record month.

This has been a continuing trend for over a year now and overwhelmingly so over the last four months. Of course every month is different with domains bought, sold, dropped. Am I happy with the results? Well yes, because every month is a new record (or close), but it's still a very long way from paying my renewal fees.

•••
This is going to be another record month. That's 4 new records over the last 4 months. So either parking is not dead yet or Above.com are doing a good job at maximizing my revenues. Either way, I'm happy :)

•••
OK. The results are in. Jan-12 was the fourth record month in a row. It was a whopping 10% more than my previous best month, last month, Dec-11. The split was Bodis 29%, DomainSponsor 37%, Voodoo 29%, Maximizer 5%.

I don't know why this link shows up in my thread. It's not in my original post or even when I edit my post.

Up to last month Bodis was almost 50% of the total, but it looks like Voodoo is eating into Bodis's share. DomainSponsor also had a good month. I'm glad to see Maximizer share down at 5% (rather than the 15% it has been in the past). It means more share is going to the (better paying) parking companies.

Jan-12 was my best ever parking revenue month. That's 4 months in a row with increasing best ever months. As I said in my last post, either Above.com is doing a great job at maximizing my revenues, or domain parking isn't dead. Personally, I think it's both.

Last edited:
•••
Had a monster 1st half of Feb-12, in line with my best ever month of Jan-12 but it trailed off a bit at the end, so the 2nd half of Feb-12 is probably not going to be as good as the first half, and it's a short month.

•••
When signing up, Company is a required field.
Does that mean that I have to run a business to use above.com?

•••
•••
Will above.com improve results if only one parking company is used?

•••
Something wrong with it.
I have disabled namedrive accont but traffic comes to it

i have only 2 provider enabled:
ww25. - bodis
ww38. - parking crew

But some domains redirected to http://ww5.domain.com
who is it ?

Some domains removed from Bodis portfolio automatically
I think that Maximizer have conflict with Bodis

Last edited:
•••
thats right - something is really wrong with that system - it started last week - first pages on the conrtol panel started to load very slow - then my vistioros where a lot less ( by 1/3 )and my revenue gotten less too ( by 1/3 ) - i asked someone i know whats going on and he noticed that my domain that should have gone only to voodoo resolved to an unknown google feed and i was never credited for ( should not go to the maximizer as they all are us traffic and i also have a huge fat ZERO on the maximizer - i changed many important nameservers back where i have control who get my domains - i also contacted above but they have not replied so far. not sure what is going on but i do not like it !

•••
Dear ....,

The Bodis system has resolved 1 domain name conflicts which were pending approval. The following domain name(s) have been approved and added to your account:

elayem-dz.com

These domain names are now in your account and can be managed normally using the Bodis interface.

Now I see that domain again not in my portfolio !!!

•••
Looks like a bugs fixed

Last edited:
•••
I met a problem was my above account show revenues quit different than my bodis account revenues and click.less too much!what's wrong?And something I didn't understand its if I change my domain's DNS into abovedotcom,but I parked this domain at another company,does above will auto match visiter's to different company?

•••
Will above.com improve results if only one parking company is used?

Nope.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

I met a problem was my above account show revenues quit different than my bodis account revenues and click.less too much!what's wrong?And something I didn't understand its if I change my domain's DNS into abovedotcom,but I parked this domain at another company,does above will auto match visiter's to different company?

You need to add the domain to your parking company and to above.com, then set your nameservers to above.com, and make sure you have your parking company setup in above.com

•••
Above counts visitors separately, and Bodis counts visitors using its own system. So there is always going to be a discrepency between Above and the parking companies.

And the reason for that is because most parking companies try to filter out invalid visitors. Also, there's different ways on counting unique visitor (same visit once per 24 hours, once per week, once per hour, every parking company and system has their own methodology).

•••
I agree with Matt. There will always be discrepancies with traffic numbers*. But in my experience the monetary results have always been the same, except for the 3 days which are not confirmed and are in red in the above.com reports.

* This became more pronounced after the switch to the DNS System in Oct-11, where Above admit to have been forwarding more junk traffic to providers than before, because their comprehensive filters were obsoleted by the new system (something about javascript).

Last edited:
•••
Thanks stub and matt.I see

•••
thats right - something is really wrong with that system - it started last week - first pages on the conrtol panel started to load very slow - then my vistioros where a lot less ( by 1/3 )and my revenue gotten less too ( by 1/3 ) - i asked someone i know whats going on and he noticed that my domain that should have gone only to voodoo resolved to an unknown google feed and i was never credited for ( should not go to the maximizer as they all are us traffic and i also have a huge fat ZERO on the maximizer - i changed many important nameservers back where i have control who get my domains - i also contacted above but they have not replied so far. not sure what is going on but i do not like it !

Did you ever get a reply from Above.com?

•••
Does anyone know what the column with the title "Hits" represents precisely in the stats table? I get hundreds of hits on some of my domains daily. That's bizarre!

Could it be that every time a person thinks about a word in your domain name, above.com considers that as a hit?!

•••
From their manual,

What do the columns mean?

Hits

Total hits (page impressions) for all domains for the selected period. This figure includes ALL hits received by the domain including images, crawlers, bots, etc.

•••
•••
I had zero hits yesterday and so far today...down from thousands previous days. Just me or is anyone else experiencing this also?

•••
So did I and I knew instantly there was something wrong so I emailed them straight away and the following is their response!!

"Incomplete days and days with estimated values are in red and will update when final results are available from the providers (usually a few days)." :'(

Edit:The system now seems to have recovered the backlog data and it looks as it's been fixed.

Last edited:
•••
Stub: I'm starting to try above.com myself today, based on your case study and review. What's the latest with your results? Are they still good?

•••
OK. It's been a while. But here are my performance figures for the last 4 months.

Feb12 - Bodis 28% DomainSponsor 28% Maximizer 6% Voodoo 34%
Mar12 - Bodis 33% DomainSponsor 22% Maximizer 7% Voodoo 38%
Apr12 - Bodis 31% DomainSponsor 21% Maximizer 4% Voodoo 44%
May12 - Bodis 29% DomainSponsor 18% Maximizer 3% Voodoo 50%

...... % of Best... % over
........ Month..... 2011
Feb12 86%..... +32%
Mar12 86%..... +45%
Apr12 79%..... +42%
May12 83%..... +27%

So the striking thing is Voodoo has now grabbed 50% of my total revenue. Whilst the frothy optimism of the months Oct11-Jan12 has dampened down, running 15-20% below my best month ever (Jan12), this is usual for this time of year. but year on year gains have been impressive, between 27-45% per month.

I had been under the impression that Above.com was not performing as well as it should. But the facts show otherwise.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back