Dynadot

Above.com Review

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Where was I? I had all my .com domains at Parked and everything else at Bodis. Back in February I was waxing lyrical about Parked being back on top of their game. I had 2 months where I received almost record payouts (of all time... maybe in 3-4 years of parking). Then everything fell off a cliff and I was getting approx 2/3rds less. On 7th July I received only about $6.50 in revenue, which was abysmal. The day before that I had decided to try Above.com.

What is Above.com? In short, it's a traffic forwarder to your Parking Accounts. It decides where to send the traffic for each domain based upon which parking service gives the best returns. This sounds great. No longer do you need to park a group of domains with company A for a couple of months, enter the results into a spreadsheet, then park them at company B for a couple of months, enter the results in a spreadsheet. And so on. Now all this is done in Real Time, by Above.com.

Who are Above.com? They are part of the Trellian network of companies, who I first came across using their KeywordDisovery.com tool. So, I had confidence in them from the getgo.

It was easy to setup an account. You then go to Manage Accounts and setup the Parking Companies you wish to use from the list of companies they support. I chose Bodis, Parked, TrafficZ, DomainSponsor. The latter two I probably haven't used in a couple of years. You need to provide your username and password for each account. Of course there is a slight risk in this, but given the size of Trellian, I didn't have a real problem with this.

You can then go to Manage Folders and setup Folders for groups of domains. I however, imported everything into the default folder. Subsequently, I created two other folders, 1) Revenue, and 2) No Revenue. I moved everything from the default folder to No Revenue, and then moved them to Revenue, once Above.com reported revenue. You do this by downloading the .CSV file for the Non-Revenue domains, sort the SpreadSheet by Revenue, and then copy/past these into the Add Domains to the Revenue Folder. There is no copy/move command in Above.com. You either Add or Remove Domains, and Above.com moves the domains to the new Folder.

You of course have to add all your domains to each Parking Service individually (even if this can be done in bulk).

What is Maximizer? This is Above.com's inhouse Parking Service. They say that by some complex algorythms they monetize visitors which are poorly monetized by regular parking companies. For example, Asian traffic. When I look at the stats compared to the other parking companies (which is easy to do by clicking on Statistics and choosing what you want), I see mostly very low rates per click, like $0.02, significantly less than the rates/click for the same domain from the other parking companies. Who is to say that Above.com got it right or not? Maximizer provided about 1/5th of my Total Revenue for August. I've turned it off for Sept to see how the portfolio perform without it.

The Statistics are very comprehensive. You can select one or more parking services and a whole slew of stats like clicks, revenue, EPC etc.

How is support? I think there is only 1 support personnel. I usually get answers to my questions in about 1-3 days. So not the speediest support in the world, but I can't think of any support question which requires an immediate reply. So i'm reasonably satisfied.

How did I do? Well Above.com say it takes about 2 months to get your portfolio optimized. It's now been just two months for me. So maybe my best month will be Sept. But anyhow, in August, my 2nd month, Above.com managed to give me returns just below my record earnings of February. So, about 80-100% better than my earnings in June. This is a significant jump in earnings. It was split (in approx terms) 20% each from Bodis, Maximizer, DomainSponsor, and most of the rest from Parked. Almost nothing from TrafficZ, barely making the minimum payment for both July and August.

The website is sometimes a bit flakey. Not really surprising considering the amount of data they must be churning out. But usually it works itself out within a short time, usually minutes. My biggest gripe is that the Statistics Reports only allow you report 100 domains per page (whereas the Reports allow 1000). Also that there is no portfolio total reported in the Stats. You have to add up each page total.

Am I going to continue with Above.com? You betcha! I've disable the Maximizer to see how my portfolio performs without it and I'll probably disable TrafficZ also. I'd recommend to anyone to try Above.com. It really take away the drudgery of manually testing domains at different parking services.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Old thread, but great information. I am super negligent about properly optimizing all of my domains. It's always on my list, but with over 1K domains, the thought of this project is daunting. But one thing this thread made me think about; what parking companies are people using nowadays? It seems like some of those referenced in this thread are no longer around. I use ParkingCrew, Bodis, Sedo and Voodoo. Is there any others that I should be looking at?

For 1k domains, I'd drop SEDO .. or, if you really want 4 parking services, replace it with DomainSponsor

If you want more details, shoot me a pm

•••
For 1k domains, I'd drop SEDO .. or, if you really want 4 parking services, replace it with DomainSponsor

If you want more details, shoot me a pm
Why Sedo and what is it with 1K that makes them not so good?

•••
Old thread, but great information. I am super negligent about properly optimizing all of my domains. It's always on my list, but with over 1K domains, the thought of this project is daunting. But one thing this thread made me think about; what parking companies are people using nowadays? It seems like some of those referenced in this thread are no longer around. I use ParkingCrew, Bodis, Sedo and Voodoo. Is there any others that I should be looking at?

I usually don't use any parking company which pays me less than $100/month for all my domains. Bodis qualified for this exclusion about 6 months ago. I'm not saying they are not a good parking company. I think they are. But cannot compete with 1) Parking Crew, and 2) Voodoo. The only 2 parking companies I now use. Sedo has never competed well against these other three. And I don't like their policy of only paying for the first click with nothing for subsequent clicks. Unlike most parking companies, which pay for every click.

•••
Bodis used to be top payer. Now rook is the best parkingcrew second. Voodoo is quite good.

•••
@ngenme - For me Rook joined the <$100 club before Bodis. But it just depends on the type of domains. So each domainers experience could be different. All we can do is say what works best for us.

•••
Thanks! So far so good.

How long does VooDoo take to manually activate, also haven' heard back from ParkingCrew yet.

•••
Usually, it's not long. But it is the weekend right now.

•••
Thanks, I'm up and running with Above using Bodis and ParkingCrew. Hope to hear from Voodoo and Rook soon.

My plan is to park all my domains and see what happens over 2 weeks. Then maybe list a few with For Sale landing pages via Efty.

I sold one domain a few years ago for $xxx, I enjoy this as a hobby, but wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks for my other hobbies. Thanks for the assist folks. Good luck out there!

SLC

•••
Above.com shows me different stats than the parking provider, e.g. Rook or Sedo. Have you noticed that?

•••
5 clicks. $0.01 revenue! WTH

•••
yeah, I had something strange going on between PC and Above. Asked PC about it.

300 uniques and 32 clicks on one site $.02 revenue

2016-01-19 Tue.* 6 3 50.00% * $ 0.00 * $ 0.00 * $ 0.00
2016-01-18 Mon.* 35 13 37.14% * $ 0.00 * $ 0.00 * $ 0.00
2016-01-17 Sun. 47 34 72.34% $ 0.00 $ 0.43 $ 0.02

•••
perhaps you guys confuse 'uniques' with 'reported' traffic?

in my 2 years with above, I've never had inconsistencies with the numbers unless there was some internal issue which they promptly fixed

-The numbers you see under the 'reported' column is the traffic reported from your various parking platforms.. this can't be normally wrong because it is being imported 'as is' from the parking companies

-The numbers you see under the 'uniques' column is the attempt of above.com to apply some kind of normalisation to the traffic they get across various platforms so the end result (ie. which platform is the most profitable) can be calculated easier

•••
Not sure why my clicks at ParkingCrew are worth zero....as shown by Above stats.

•••
•••
•••
Bodis used to be top payer. Now rook is the best parkingcrew second. Voodoo is quite good.

But PC is labeling many clicks invalid....

•••
Hello, i did recently add a name to above.com that was parked at parkingcrew before.
I did notice i got less revenue and "less reported visits" too.
I did reverse the dns change and did set parkingcrew´s dns again, so i did continue with higher revenue and higher reported visits.

I think that revenue could vary because of optimization, but reported visits go along revenue too, so maybe it could be because of google or any software avoiding people to enter the parking websites.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks.

•••
Hello, i did recently add a name to above.com that was parked at parkingcrew before.
I did notice i got less revenue and "less reported visits" too.
I did reverse the dns change and did set parkingcrew´s dns again, so i did continue with higher revenue and higher reported visits.

I think that revenue could vary because of optimization, but reported visits go along revenue too, so maybe it could be because of google or any software avoiding people to enter the parking websites.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks.

did you notice if you had maximizer on?

•••
Hello, i do have maximizer on.

•••
Hello, i do have maximizer on.

that's why then

by having max on, you allow above.com to try a % of your traffic with various other ad feeds in search of better revenue

that's where your lost traffic -probably- went

question is,
why use above.com if you only had parkingcrew in your account?

•••
i use 4 parking companies and above.com´s maximizer too.

•••
i use 4 parking companies and above.com´s maximizer too.

then what you're saying does not make sense

If you split your domain's traffic between 4 services *plus* maximizer, isn't it natural that you'll see less reported visits and -possibly- less revenue?

5 different services (incl. max) take a long time to get optimized unless your domain gets traffic in the hundreds on a daily basis and its niche is very clear (so the ads will be optimized quickly)

I don't understand what you see as a problem here

•••
5 different services (incl. max) take a long time to get optimized unless your domain gets traffic in the hundreds on a daily basis and its niche is very clear (so the ads will be optimized quickly)

I agree with this.

If you split your domain's traffic between 4 services *plus* maximizer, isn't it natural that you'll see less reported visits and -possibly- less revenue?

Let´s suppose my domain name gets 500 visits a day and i get $5 a day when it is parked at parkingcrew.com.
If i split visits between 5 services, shoudn´t i get the same 500 "reported visits"?
At parkingcrew i got 500 visits and $5 a day, later at above i got only 75% of those visits and income, 375 visits and $3.75 a day.
So i changed it back to parkingcrew and i got 500 visits and $5 a day again. :( ?????

What i think is that any technical issue is affecting the visits.
Maybe, when a visitor enters the domain name, there is any software avoiding him to end viewing the parking site.

Nevertheless, when parkingcrew´s dns are set it does not happen.

•••
I agree with this.

Let´s suppose my domain name gets 500 visits a day and i get $5 a day when it is parked at parkingcrew.com.
If i split visits between 5 services, shoudn´t i get the same 500 "reported visits"?
At parkingcrew i got 500 visits and $5 a day, later at above i got only 75% of those visits and income, 375 visits and $3.75 a day.
So i changed it back to parkingcrew and i got 500 visits and $5 a day again. :( ?????

What i think is that any technical issue is affecting the visits.
Maybe, when a visitor enters the domain name, there is any software avoiding him to end viewing the parking site.

Nevertheless, when parkingcrew´s dns are set it does not happen.

I don't think you understand how the whole thing works to be honest (no offence intended)

using your example above with 500 visits:

Let's suppose that Parking A is PC. And your *original* traffic (ie. unfiltered) is 800

-When dns = PC , Visits shown = 500, Visits filtered = 300, Earnings = $5

-When dns = Above.com, the following things might happen:

out of the 800 *unfiltered* traffic, each parking service will receive some of that traffic.
Following to the above, each parking service will *filter* some traffic (or maybe not). So, in the case that every parking service received equal traffic of 25%, you might have:
PC: 250 received, 175 shown as reported, Earnings = $2
ParkingB: 250 received, 100 shown as reported, Earnings = $0 (not optimized yet)
ParkingC: 250 received, 250 shown as reported, Earnigs = $1 (not optimized fully yet)
ParkingD: 250 received, 50 shown as reported, Earnings = $1.5 (fully optimized)

each parking service filters traffic in different ways so the resulting 'reported' traffic can be less than what you see in your parkingcrew dashboard

as for the earnings, it all depends how far the optimization on both the above.com AND on each parking service has been reached.
With 'normal' traffic you'll need around 15 days per parking service involved to see a roughly how each parking service performs.

The above is only a rough indication how the whole system works just to give you an idea.
All in all though, what you currently see in your above.com interface should be normal.

•••
Thanks for the explanation. I will read it carefully and try to understand it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back