NameSilo

opinion A potential buyer want me to travel to his country.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Do you have someone in this USA that you trust that can represent you?

•••
Of course I will not travel to anywhere.

good call!

this obviously takes the ol "click on this link to get a domain value certificate" scam to a whole new level :)

•••
%100 positive

a lot of deals? memeber since when?

check if he has domains for sale on ebay.. if so do whois.. then research who he is

•••
I live in the US and I wouldn't travel farther than a two hour drive even to meet with someone whose identity I WAS able confirm.

And even doing that, I would demand that the meeting take place at an attorney's office of my choice (with the buyer footing the bill) and half the sale price -- non-refundable of course -- already deposited with said attorney prior to me leaving the house.

I don't know what the scam is, but it's certainly a new one on me.

•••
In the USA Escrow services are used all day long! If the buyer is really from LA he should have no problem with it.

Maybe @Silentptnr has some suggestion, he is from this area I think!?

•••
:xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Quite a funny request. I had to LOL before typing..

•••
If someone wants to buy my domain and wants to meet face to face then they can come to me.

•••
He just sent me that he want the deal face to face with a broker process on eBay.
Which is I think not possible.

that is all nonsense

tell him to use sedo escrow
they have a us office
so maybe sedo is willing to meat in person

what is the domain?
is it overpaid with $50K?

or is it worth it long term?

ask rick schwarz how he would deal with it or mike mann

•••
Having doubts with this kind of deal. With all kinds of scam everywhere, one ought to be careful in every step of the way. Voice out all these reservations to the buyer. Be honest, be sincere. Tell him that you need a guarantee that you won't come out empty handed or a big loser in the end. He must provide you a guarantee of some sort if he is indeed true in his commitment. Without any guarantee and just by pure trust, it's like walking blindfolded near the edge of a cliff.

•••
No way. Drop this guy. This could be dangerous. There is no reason to meet face to face. He wants your domain and will steal it. Stay home. If the name is worth 50k, it will be worth more in the coming months and you will be able to visit somewhere nice, in peace and safety.
Yes I know, I am not hurry to sell it.

•••
If you have a $50k offer for this name, then your name has very good value.You have to ignore him and wait a more ''normal'' buyer.

•••
It's not entirely unlikely that he's unfamiliar with escrow services and/or buying digital products online (even having an eBay account). So be careful not to insincerely chase-off a potential client.

But with that said, anyone who's willing to part with $50k for an aftermarket domain name has to have some understanding of how things work in the industry. So at minimum, he should know about platforms (eg. Sedo) that offer an escrow service.

After all is said an done, even the Dalai Lama could change his mind and waste your time and money. The risk is yours to take, but I personally would risk/spend my money (on travel costs) differently.

•••
Be careful on scammers .... if he does not want to pay your travel, it is doubtful ....

•••
It is very interesting and highly unusual. I sold a domain name years ago to Los Angeles Tourist Bureau and after escrow.com transaction, the buyer offered to buy me lunch and show me the city if I ever visit LA.

But on the other hand, eBay does attract people who are less tech savvy and liked to make unusual requests.

•••
I would reply to him:
''Sir, one reason why I do domaining is, that
one of it's biggest advantages is, that there is no need to travel. So let's settle the deal via SEDO (100 % safe) or forget it.”

•••
Is the domain HumanTraffic.net? DungeonLife.net?

•••
So if this was a really beautiful woman and she invited you to stay in her beach home in Los Angeles, would that make any difference?

•••
Is the $50k offer too good to be true..is the name worth that amount. That's often the biggest clue whether its a scam or not.

•••
What's his address, I'll drive by for you :) Don't go if it's in compton..or a few other places like chino.

•••
CM Capture 14.jpg

•••
And unfortunately his comfort level is putting you at risk. Did he share all his personal details with you? Aside from the personal security aspects, are you aware of the other things such as legal, tax, proof of funds origin, and US customs implications of accepting payment like this? Be careful. This is serious stuff. I hope you might find someone to intervene to get him to be cooperative to use an escrow service.
As I told before, I will not go to anywhere, I have just liked to share this case with Namepros members.
Thanks

•••
It does not sound like he knows your face, so anyone could in theory come and take care of the transaction, it does not have to be the owner, who does not want to travel here. How about 2-3 domainers do it, while the domain name sits in escrow? You can meet at a lawyers office or a police station, which is what a lot of people do these days for CL.com transactions now.

•••
Travel anywhere alone for domains? Maybe it's a great domain and they want to kidnap you, force you to transfer all your domains to them, before someone finds you in a dumpster? Just Crazy.

LOL - Don't be so paranoid ;)
What is wrong with everyone here....

•••
I would ask him to pay for my flight rental car and hotel up front. Worst case scenario you get to come to the usa for free.

worst case is you come to usa for free and never be seen again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back