NameSilo

opinion A few companies that believe in the future of new gTLD's...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We hear a lot around the forums from people who see no future in the new gTLD program. They'll never catch on! is the battle cry, as if people are either incapable or unwilling to use or remember anything besides the almighty .com.

But what do the big wigs have to say?

Well, here are just a sampling of the international powerhouses that are each getting their own gTLD/s -- if that answers the question !!

Disney (.abc)
NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
Jaguar Land Rover (.jaguar .landrover)
Fiat Chrysler (.chrysler .ferrari .fiat .jeep)
Discover (.discover)
Toyota (.toyota .lexus)
Honda (.honda)
Kia (.kia)
Citigroup (.citi)
Hitachi (.hitachi)
Xerox (.xerox)
Staples (.staples)
Gallup (.gallup)
GoDaddy (.godaddy)
Honeywell (.honeywell)
American Family Insurance (.amfam)
State Farm (.statefarm)
Progressive (.progressive)
Esurance (.esurance)
SC Johnson (.scjohnson)
Symantec (.norton .symantec)
Tiffany & Co. (.tiffany)
JCPenney (.jcp)
T.J. Maxx (.tjmaxx .tjx)
Macys (.macys)
L'Oréal (.makeup .beauty)
Microsoft (.microsoft .office .skype .windows .xbox)
etc

Do those names mean anything to you?

It would seem that many here think that these companies will never even use or advertise their fancy new URL's... that the "general public" still won't be aware of alternative URL's (gasp!!) even 5 years from now.

Say whaaa?!

How could they NOT? In the next few years, we will all be bombarded with new gTLD's from all directions, including many of the ones listed above.

If .com is still The Future, and the future of the new gTLD program is so uncertain (or doomed from the start, as many would argue), why is it that so many of the largest companies in the world are jumping aboard, rather than waiting it out from the sidelines? It's a very expensive endeavor, and it's not like anyone else is going to scoop up .NFL or .NETFLIX. Clearly, they aren't buying the whole .com is all that matters! hogwash.

Of course, many .com die-hards have spent a decade (or two!) investing solely in .com, so it is not surprising that they are slow to realize/accept what's happening. But the truth is, the tipping point will soon be upon us.

No longer will the NFL much care about Dolphins.com. They'll use Dolphins.NFL anyway.
Making a movie? There is no need to have the .com. Simply get the MovieTitle.movie.
Do you specialize in auto repair? Find a cool .repair and call it a day!
You get the idea!

It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse. If you're still a .com die-hard, it's not too late, but the optimal time to re-evaluate your strategy has long since passed. You'll need to adapt sooner than later, or you will almost certainly go down with the ship.

Don't go down with the ship !

See more delegated strings here:
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
s2-e15-go-bigger-go-homeless-comic.png

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...hat-will-happen-to-new-gtld-investors.971597/

•••
It's interesting that they decided to advertise their .SHOW rather than their .COM

they own coliseumshow.com which redirects to COLISEUM.SHOW

I guess the switch to nTLD backfired, now that they are redirecting .show to .com

•••
Wow, what a short-sighted way to look at things !

Not today = not ever ?

Right.........

Good luck with that !

Within 1-2 years, many of the above examples will be redirecting their .com to their gtld.

Those who need proof NOW will be left in the dust. Fortune favors the BOLD!

But, sure... have it your way !

I understand what you're saying! Why would they even invest in their own extension if they didn't have some kind of plan down the road, makes no sense.

When they put them to use it will help users understand further that many new things are happening right of the dot.

•••
The comparison of brands' owning their own nTLDs is completely irrelevant to everyone on namepros who invests in nTLDs. None of those companies are using .vip or .top, nor are any people able to invest in .bmw or .landrover. Don't try to make something out of nothing

•••
You will find its all just brand protection,
I don't get why this would be "brand protection" ?
Who else would be allowed to register gTLD TM's like this ?
I mean is Intel scared that someone else is getting .intel ?
Did Visa spend 185K because they were scared American Express would register .visa ?

NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
etc etc etc...

Last edited:
•••
If all these Dumb Companies would've come to NP for advice from the Pros, they could've saved millions !
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
Fiat Chrysler (.chrysler .ferrari .fiat .jeep)
Discover (.discover)
Toyota (.toyota .lexus)
Honda (.honda)
Kia (.kia)
Citigroup (.citi)
Hitachi (.hitachi)
Xerox (.xerox)
Staples (.staples)
Gallup (.gallup)
GoDaddy (.godaddy)
Honeywell (.honeywell)
American Family Insurance (.amfam)
State Farm (.statefarm)
Progressive (.progressive)
Esurance (.esurance)
SC Johnson (.scjohnson)
Symantec (.norton .symantec)
Tiffany & Co. (.tiffany)
JCPenney (.jcp)
T.J. Maxx (.tjmaxx .tjx)
Macys (.macys)
L'Oréal (.makeup .beauty)
Microsoft (.microsoft .office .skype .windows .xbox)

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
The fact i'm finding myself reading some of these posts and completely seeing one side and then reading the other and seeing the other side probably means there's validity to both sides of the argument.

"There is absolutely plenty of money to be made on both sides of the table, if one focuses on QUALITY."
I think this point sums it up perfectly and why 99.9% will unfortunately fail in domaining. It takes a long time to realise just how true this is and often by the time you have realised you've blown your budget and time and need to do something else. Few will succeed either way in the long run whichever side of the fence you're on IMO.

•••
It's not a question of weather or not new gTLDs will have a future (they have already started catching on). The question is how long will the process take and how steep will the incline be? Do you have a big enough war chest or enough cash flow to sit this out for a few years?

I have both but try to shift covering the cost of my portfolio towards cash flow (i.e. selling domains without touching the substance of my portfolio).

I've always said that new gTLDs are a middle to long term investments to me and a commodity in the short term to finance my portfolio.

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited:
•••
•••
The point is, as more and more companies use ngtld's, it's getting easier and easier for other companies to also say no to .com, unless it's truly incredible and really stands out (but even then, there are a bunch of new incredible options for most companies to now choose from, instead of very few almost-always-.com options).

For the most part, only the VERY BEST domains (of any extension) will be able to command a great premium anymore.

Good-medium quality .com's will need to be priced more competitively than ever so that the buyer doesn't go with one of the many great new alternatives.

Decent/mediocre domains (.com's and ngtld's alike) will be harder than ever to sell -- and, let's be honest, most domainers have mostly mediocre (or worse) domains (of any extension).

It's now more important than ever to focus on the VERY BEST domains (regardless of extension). No longer can we preach "stick with quality .com's". That is simply NOT the only way to win, and the pool of GREAT .com's is very small/expensive. There are a lot of ways to win that don't require touching .com at all, if you focus on QUALITY.

Completely agree, many similar points to my post above.

The one thing i'm not too sure on is will great GTLD's be possible to find and also be profitable for domainers with holding costs etc. The jury is out on this with the registries holding the best back. I feel very much that end users see the GTLD's as alternatives to .com and can't see them paying up for them in a big way but in 3-5 years time perhaps that will change who knows.

This is why I say the new GTLD's are a disaster for domaining as a whole. They provide end users and registries with what they want but in effect I believe will put many domainers out of business within a couple of years. It is fooloish to deny that new extensions are coming out the whole time giving end users more options, and it is also clear that registries want to get in the action and make sales themselves and attempting to cut the domainer out.

Great .coms will have substantial value but are already out of reach to 99.9% of domainers anyway. I think the SEO analogy I made above sums it up. This is a game for the wealthy to get richer and everyone else will be left behind IMO.

•••
It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse. If you're still a .com die-hard, it's not too late, but the optimal time to re-evaluate your strategy has long since passed. You'll need to adapt sooner than later, or you will almost certainly go down with the ship.

Don't go down with the ship !
000 said:
Just say NO to fear-mongering! ™
Hmmmm :-P

•••
The whole point is that most of these companies wouldn't be lining up to get them in the first place if they didn't see a non-com future........ but that clearly went right over your head in your mad dash to defense your beloved .com.

What's going over your head is that they all hold and are using the .com and there is no real reason to change. It already works. It's what their customers know. It's what they put millions in advertising behind. You have no idea why they're getting them. You hating or not having good .coms is not a good enough reason for them. A non .com future is just silly.

Last edited:
•••
The trulth is that if you don't have the best of the best on ngtlds probably you won't sell. And i talk generally.
100% agree!

Only the best will do... whether it's .com OR cctld OR gtld OR ngtld!

But those that say that the ngtld's have no place in our world.... that's a little much!
And yet we see it even in this thread....

Last edited:
•••
If people get used to typing in weird extensions, how would that NOT help drive gtld awareness? Totally bizarre....

This is such a small percentage in the scheme of things, it will have no affect at all..

It's totally going over your head...

WHY does it "make sense for Intel to grab .INTEL" as you say?
Why not wait 10 years and see how things are looking with the new gtld's?
Why are they moving on this NOW? Obviously, no one else will take it.
So, what's the urgency?
It's probably not going to just sit there forever not being used.... and it's absolutely senseless to make that assumption!

Its no big deal for them to do this, why would sit and wait, its not a huge dent in their pocket and companies this big have would have a team for people that deal with this stuff...

@000

We all have our opinions on this, only time will tell ;)

•••
It won't be very long before the average internet user is well aware that many other options exist, and, consequently, the hesitation to recognize and accept alternative URL's will quickly erode in the coming years.
The new gTLDs started to roll out 3 years ago. And what you just said is exactly the same as what I heard 3 years ago from many others. Fast-forward to today there's still little awareness and basically no aftermarket (unless you're a registry). Domainers who are currently making decent profits with the new gTLDs are rare and few. I have a feeling I will be able to quote this same text in 3 years from now once more (just will need to change the "3" to a "6"). We'll see I guess. I bookmarked this page and put a reminder in todoist in 3 years from now to see if what I said will still be valid.

•••
The bigger the company, the longer it usually takes to get things done. It can take MONTHS to approve a simple domain purchase. I think it's fair to assume that introducing their own .BRAND for the first time in history could take years of planning. I am sure that many are working on it. Why are people so impatient for these companies to lunge to the forefront of ngtld adoption?!

Let's take a look at a few examples...

---------------

.MLB

From their registration agreement text:

Only Registry Operator and its qualified Affiliates and Trademark Licensees will be allowed to register second-level domain names in the .MLB gTLD. MLBAM will develop an internal process to determine which second-level domain names will be registered and which Affiliates and Trademark Licensees will be eligible to register or control the DNS associated with domain names in .MLB.

Sounds like they're working on it.

------------

.NFL:

.NFL will keep you connected to all of the National Football League brands you know and love.

-----------------

.HYATT:

The mission and purpose of Hyatt’s gTLD is to serve as a trusted, hierarchical, and intuitive namespace provided by Hyatt GTLD, L.L.C. .... for use by Hyatt Hotels Corporation and its Affiliates. ....... Hyatt will develop an internal process to determine which second-level domain names will be registered

"trusted, hierarchical, and intuitive..."

----------

.NETFLIX:

The .netflix gTLD will offer a brand-specific and tailored customer experience that reflects Netflix’s emphasis on continuous innovation and increased customer trust.

GASP!? "Continuous innovation"? "Increased customer trust"? Could that mean a move away from .com?! Sounds an awful lot like it may....

And it sounds like they have a plan.

--------

.BMW:

http://next100.bmw (no redirect - GASP!)

-------

Here's a large French bank that is deeply committed to their .brand:

BNP Paribas Banque
https://mabanque.bnpparibas

NO redirect, and in fact this website gets TONS of traffic!
Alexa global rank = 2,978
It doesn't seem that people are having this huge struggle even with a cumbersome URL like mabanque.bnpparibas... so, why should they have any trouble with any other new gtld?
That thinking simply doesn't hold up in the real world, and is based on little more than fear of change.

FWIW they were the first bank to switch their online banking site to a dot brand.

You can see it promoted directly on their very popular twitter account:
https://twitter.com/bnpparibas

-----------

It's all just a matter of time.................. those who can see it coming now will have much greater opportunity than those who realize what's happening a year or two down the road.

Last edited:
•••
what gtlds mean to me -------> .poop

•••
gTLDs are good for long term investment.....

•••
A follow up question -

Which is an instantly recognizable extension normal people have actually heard of?

Brad

RioMedia.top? :laugh:

•••
Which is shorter or better?
RioMedia.com or Rio.Media ?
Shorter and better is definitely Rio.Media :) From semantic point of view, adding ".com" does not have any added value here.

•••
A follow up question -

Which is an instantly recognizable extension normal people have actually heard of?

Brad
The old generation surely heard of .com
But the young generation will hear more of .club .Canon .Apple .world .nyc etc......

•••
Both sides have great arguments for current established uses of domains. Not enough good ones left, .com the most commonly used etc. Keywords: CURRENT ESTABLISHED USES OF DOMAINS.

What if, many many more verticals are created across all markets that find domains useful ? Example1: A Phone- for many years it's sole purpose was to talk to someone that wasn't in the same room. Now how many uses does it have?
Example 2: The Television. Started with one use Now how many uses does it have?
Example 3: Print Media. Most of it was black and white for a very long time. Looking back , some of the early websites looked like paper print. Because of domains Media transmission is unlimited, rich with content and in every color you could imagine complete with instant video/audio pleasure.
All 3 are communication tools that evolved into many many uses. Domains are a communication tool and follow a similar pattern.

In the case of big brands, domains as accounts ? Each with it's own unique Identifier, each stored on a hand held server ? decentralized critical information they no longer have to spend millions in theft protection? More control of the traffic and decentralized loads, accommodation of differing cultures and languages that more millions are spent?
Small business- Not having a form of digital connection is no longer an option.?
Individuals - More companies are going to contract for hire at the professional level vs "employee" An online presence will be assumed in addition to the online platforms "currently established".?
Increased privacy concerns, rights, controls related to the "all in one" public platforms ?
Collectors? - The greatest human pastime, collecting things, trading things, coveting the things others want bragging rights to?
A new vertical for growth investments?
The breakdown of tightly controlled Media ? Advertising?
Alternative educational platforms ? In every corner of the globe ?

.COMS will always be the legacy of the still emerging digital era. There just isn't going to be enough unique "preferred" "relevant" identifiers to accommodate the wave of new verticals in the pipeline and the mass of new users. IMHO it isn't a matter of "if" New G's survive, It's a quest for which one's will best accommodate emerging vertical use. A massive treasure hunt after the low hanging fruit of .com has been picked over. Another example ! Heirloom seeds. Just for fun.:)

"Preferred" "Relevant" is much more important going forward. A domain is more than a Name. Happy Happy Hunting ;)
Cheers!

•••
So many nTLD haters... sad really.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back