IT.COM

opinion A few companies that believe in the future of new gTLD's...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
We hear a lot around the forums from people who see no future in the new gTLD program. They'll never catch on! is the battle cry, as if people are either incapable or unwilling to use or remember anything besides the almighty .com.

But what do the big wigs have to say?

Well, here are just a sampling of the international powerhouses that are each getting their own gTLD/s -- if that answers the question !!

Disney (.abc)
NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
Jaguar Land Rover (.jaguar .landrover)
Fiat Chrysler (.chrysler .ferrari .fiat .jeep)
Discover (.discover)
Toyota (.toyota .lexus)
Honda (.honda)
Kia (.kia)
Citigroup (.citi)
Hitachi (.hitachi)
Xerox (.xerox)
Staples (.staples)
Gallup (.gallup)
GoDaddy (.godaddy)
Honeywell (.honeywell)
American Family Insurance (.amfam)
State Farm (.statefarm)
Progressive (.progressive)
Esurance (.esurance)
SC Johnson (.scjohnson)
Symantec (.norton .symantec)
Tiffany & Co. (.tiffany)
JCPenney (.jcp)
T.J. Maxx (.tjmaxx .tjx)
Macys (.macys)
L'OrΓ©al (.makeup .beauty)
Microsoft (.microsoft .office .skype .windows .xbox)
etc

Do those names mean anything to you?

It would seem that many here think that these companies will never even use or advertise their fancy new URL's... that the "general public" still won't be aware of alternative URL's (gasp!!) even 5 years from now.

Say whaaa?!

How could they NOT? In the next few years, we will all be bombarded with new gTLD's from all directions, including many of the ones listed above.

If .com is still The Future, and the future of the new gTLD program is so uncertain (or doomed from the start, as many would argue), why is it that so many of the largest companies in the world are jumping aboard, rather than waiting it out from the sidelines? It's a very expensive endeavor, and it's not like anyone else is going to scoop up .NFL or .NETFLIX. Clearly, they aren't buying the whole .com is all that matters! hogwash.

Of course, many .com die-hards have spent a decade (or two!) investing solely in .com, so it is not surprising that they are slow to realize/accept what's happening. But the truth is, the tipping point will soon be upon us.

No longer will the NFL much care about Dolphins.com. They'll use Dolphins.NFL anyway.
Making a movie? There is no need to have the .com. Simply get the MovieTitle.movie.
Do you specialize in auto repair? Find a cool .repair and call it a day!
You get the idea!

It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse. If you're still a .com die-hard, it's not too late, but the optimal time to re-evaluate your strategy has long since passed. You'll need to adapt sooner than later, or you will almost certainly go down with the ship.

Don't go down with the ship !

See more delegated strings here:
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We hear a lot around the forums from people who see no future in the new gTLD program. They'll never catch on! is the battle cry, as if people are either incapable or unwilling to use or remember anything besides the almighty .com.

But what do the big wigs have to say?

Well, here are just a sampling of the international powerhouses that are each getting their own gTLD/s -- if that answers the question !!

Disney (.abc)
NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
Jaguar Land Rover (.jaguar .landrover)
Fiat Chrysler (.chrysler .ferrari .fiat .jeep)
Discover (.discover)
Toyota (.toyota .lexus)
Honda (.honda)
Kia (.kia)
Citigroup (.citi)
Hitachi (.hitachi)
Xerox (.xerox)
Staples (.staples)
Gallup (.gallup)
GoDaddy (.godaddy)
Honeywell (.honeywell)
American Family Insurance (.amfam)
State Farm (.statefarm)
Progressive (.progressive)
Esurance (.esurance)
SC Johnson (.scjohnson)
Symantec (.norton .symantec)
Tiffany & Co. (.tiffany)
JCPenney (.jcp)
T.J. Maxx (.tjmaxx .tjx)
Macys (.macys)
L'OrΓ©al (.makeup .beauty)
Microsoft (.microsoft .office .skype .windows .xbox)
etc

Do those names mean anything to you?

It would seem that many here think that these companies will never even use or advertise their fancy new URL's... that the "general public" still won't be aware of alternative URL's (gasp!!) even 5 years from now.

Say whaaa?!

How could they NOT? In the next few years, we will all be bombarded with new gTLD's from all directions, including many of the ones listed above.

If .com is still The Future, and the future of the new gTLD program is so uncertain (or doomed from the start, as many would argue), why is it that so many of the largest companies in the world are jumping aboard, rather than waiting it out from the sidelines? It's a very expensive endeavor, and it's not like anyone else is going to scoop up .NFL or .NETFLIX. Clearly, they aren't buying the whole .com is all that matters! hogwash.

Of course, many .com die-hards have spent a decade (or two!) investing solely in .com, so it is not surprising that they are slow to realize/accept what's happening. But the truth is, the tipping point will soon be upon us.

No longer will the NFL much care about Dolphins.com. They'll use Dolphins.NFL anyway.
Making a movie? There is no need to have the .com. Simply get the MovieTitle.movie.
Do you specialize in auto repair? Find a cool .repair and call it a day!
You get the idea!

It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse. If you're still a .com die-hard, it's not too late, but the optimal time to re-evaluate your strategy has long since passed. You'll need to adapt sooner than later, or you will almost certainly go down with the ship.

Don't go down with the ship !

See more delegated strings here:
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

You just listed a bunch of brand gtlds and I don't even consider them generic. Ones that we can't buy and sell. Ones where the companies already own the .com and probably most aren't changing.

•••
We've heard that before. Even a naysayer like me is surprised at how little has been achieved in 3 years. When it comes to things like the DNS and Internet protocols, the pace of change is awfully slow. I am pretty sure we will be having the same conversation here in 5 years.
But many participants will have dropped out of domaining long before that time.

Here we are talking about a special breed of TLD: corpTLDs.
It's not like every company can apply to have its own TLD. The costs will probably decrease in the next few years but for the vast majority of companies this is not going to be an obvious move at all.

So their second (or first) next best option will remain .com, or the ccTLD, and they of course have a couple more generic strings to choose from. Not 1000, just the few that are actually relevant to their business.

The added value is not so obvious. It is brand affirmation. I am wondering how many clients of Barclays are praising the bank for rolling out new URLs carrying their own brand. From the perspective of the end customer, the old URLs worked just fine.

As a domainer, there isn't much money to be made in new extensions when you consider the risk/reward ratio. To be a domainer in new extensions, you have to be a registrar or registry. And some will crash nonetheless.
From my POV they are a huge distraction and an excellent way to lose a lot of money.
I think investing in great dotcoms and ccTLDs remains the best option for domainers. New extensions must be treated as speculation strictly (or entertainment).

•••

Honestly - for a lot of them, it's more about internal politics and empire buildling (or empire defending) than anything else. Or creating jobs that are secure for a few years. Most big corporates (and certainly the ones detailed here) have brand protection agencies safeguarding their IP. So the brand protection agency will have called the internal counsel saying "look, there's this thing, you need to plan for it, it's a few years away yet, but we're not sure how it will go - ring fence $250k and we can protect against it no matter how it goes." Generally speaking, a brand protection agency working for a major international corporation like this could be on a retainer of $10k+ per month - and will almost certainly have discretionary spending power of that much again.

So the agency calls up and speaks to internal counsel, who then talks to the IT guys and they go "yeah, we've heard of this, we should probably do it just in case..." The real motivation here, of course, is that the IT team can then unlock some budget/headcount for the implementation.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I honestly wonder how many people posting/responding here have ever had experience at executive level in big corporations. A $185k spend to hedge against a potential intellectual property/brand/security issue is NOTHING. Like nothing. It's tiny. I've worked with companies where individual employees (not executive level - project director level) spend that much a year in travel.

Disney reported $52.5 billion in revenue for 2015. $185k is 0.00035% of that. It's a note in a line on an excel sheet attached to an email that nobody read. The NFL did $12 billion. Marriott $14.5 billion.

These are all multi-billion dollar companies. For companies like this protecting their brand is paramount, and the costs of NOT protecting it, and something going wrong, FAR exceed the $185k they needed to pay to secure this risk. ICANN knew EXACTLY what it was doing when it rolled out this "initiative".

As a footnote to this - these same brands also spent a FORTUNE acquiring multiple domains at sunrise in relevant new gTLDs as they launched. Most of these domains will never be used. Apple has around 14,000 active domain registrations. Disney has nearly 17,000. Nearly 400 gTLDs have launched so far. Many of them had really quite high sunrise pricing - $100+ during sunrise. Assuming that major brands acquired multiple domains in new gTLDs as they launched (which they did - I know this for fact as I was monitoring the zone files as gTLDs launched) then at a conservative estimate, at the conclusion of the gTLD launch (ie when all new gTLDs currently under discussion have launched) then I can easily image that some major brands will have spent $150k+ registering their trademarks in gTLDs that they perceive as being a threat to their business.

Why? Because it's cheaper to register than to recover later: remember - you have to enforce trademarks (including cracking down on infringing domain names) or you risk losing them.

So - suddenly, the $185k is just another line on the legal department's budget.

You just listed a bunch of brand gtlds and I don't even consider them generic. Ones that we can't buy and sell. Ones where the companies already own the .com and probably most aren't changing.

Brand gTLDs and publicly available gTLDs are two very different creatures. I would not even call these .brand domains gTLDs - they are not generic, they are VERY specific.

The whole point is that most of these companies wouldn't be lining up to get them in the first place if they didn't see a non-com future........ but that clearly went right over your head in your mad dash to defend your beloved .com.

See my opening response in this post. They weren't queueing up - it was hedging against a potential risk, and it was almost certainly a decision just rubber stamped by a series of disinterested lawyers/executives.

Consider carefully that the most common TLDs have been going for years. .org has been going since 1985, 31 years. Why are they not high value like people say the new TLDs will be? Given its perfect potential usage, why isn't .info selling like hot cakes for high value?

This is one of the best points that I've seen shooting down the hype over new gTLDs. .info was a disaster, as was .biz - .org is GREAT and has a very clear purpose - but as an asset class .org falls WAY behind .com

Even if all this has some explanation, new TLDs don't necessarily bring more value, the sheer amount of them just brings more end user choice for cheap as you have nothing unique to sell anymore.

New gTLDs don't bring value - they bring confusion and uncertainty. And when people are scared and confused, they turn to things that they regard as familiar. That's human nature. So - the confusion of choice devalues the new and strengthens that familiar. That's basic human psychology.

The comparison of brands' owning their own nTLDs is completely irrelevant to everyone on namepros who invests in nTLDs. None of those companies are using .vip or .top, nor are any people able to invest in .bmw or .landrover. Don't try to make something out of nothing

.bmw and .landrover are already recognised and familiar brands. drive.bmw makes semantic sense. experience.landrover does too. They're not only familiar but authoritative: when you visit drive.bmw you know there is NO CHANCE that you're going to be phished, hijacked, or infected with malware. Security online is a huge and growing issue - and I think in coming years .brand TLDs will come into their own. If I'm interested in BMW cars, going to ownersforum.bmw is much safer than going to bimmerownersclub.com/forum - and maybe I can trust the people posting there a bit more, and can feel secure that they are moderated and I'm not going to be trolled and abused - another hot topic online these days.

They also give the brands room for creativity, unconstrained by the limitations of what domains are available. They don't have to worry about whether they've registered the right domains when they launch a new product - because they already own them. HTC's Vive product is a great example - they had htcvive.com but just spent money to acquire vive.com

I still think vive.com is better than vive.htc - but you see my point.

FYI it has something to do with the snowball effect....

Absolutely - I do not deny that .brand TLDs will help familiarise people with these new extensions. But - as I said - when faced with the paralysis of choice, people turn to the familiar. Which means, in the short to medium term, .com still wins. These .brand TLDs will help introduce people to the idea that there are other extensions out there - but I honestly think that what we will see happen is that there will be a divide - .brand TLDs will be seen as secure, reliable and authoritative, alongside .com and (for example) .co.uk - and other ccTLDs. The other new gTLDs will be seen as flighty, unreliable and untrustworthy - the domain of spammers, chancers and fly-by-nights. When there are substantial numbers of GOOD sites living at new gTLDs and they've been there day in day out for 5 years plus then maybe people will trust new gTLDs. But who is going to build those sites? Would you build a business on a new gTLD? I wouldn't. I'd use them as keyword funnels, or domains for specific landing pages, but by their very nature, gTLDs don't lend themselves to branding - because they have an implicit association. Part of the power of .com is that it's neutral - it doesn't contextualise or otherwise comment on what is to the left of the dot. Sure, there are some others that also have this neutrality, but many have a "specific purpose" - and indeed that's the spiel of many. Think of .club, the poster child of the new gTLD revolution. If I'm an accountant, will I be looking a this? Almost certainly not. If I'm a gymnastic club, does .com still make sense? Definitely, yes.

This actually helps companies. They can care even less about squatters and playing whack-a-mole with all sorts of domains. All they need to do is build their .brand network and skip .com entirely. Then there's no question: if you go to an official .NFL site (for example), you'll not have to worry about being scammed. VISA will use .visa for official sites..... etc! It's soooo simple.

Absolutely correct about not worrying about being scammed - but they WILL probably still have to play whack-a-mole with all sorts of domains unfortunately. Certainly where anyone is actively infringing their brand.

However, as I said earlier, I think the authority of .brand TLDs is going to be very high, and that in itself will actually make the authority of all other gTLDs weaker.

Personally I think that $185K for brand marketing is peanuts for Fortune 500 companies. So saying "hey they bought it because one day they see a non-com future" doesn't fly with me. Those companies have poured millions (and sometimes billions) into advertising their .coms. $185K equals maybe 1-2 months of marketing money for them. Plus, some of these companies have actually bought .com(s) for amounts exceeding $185K. So why would you think that spending $185K means they may drop their .com one day? Makes zero sense to me.

It's a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of money for the types of companies we're talking about. As I said earlier - I know people working for companies like these where $185k is their personal travel budget for the year.

Look at it this way - in London's financial district, premium office space goes for about Β£75 per square foot. I did some work last year with a well known consumer brand who have an enormous office in a prestigious sky scraper. They had 12 conference rooms - each one must have been about 300 - 400 square feet. Each time I went in for a meeting we would be put in one of the conference rooms - and I only ever saw 3 others being used at the same time. So a lot of the time they had 8 to 10 rooms - 3000 square feet of office space - sitting unused. This was apparently very common. "Why do you have so many conference rooms?" I asked. "Well, there are a few days each year when we need ALL of them - when we are launching new campaigns, or preparing the global end of year figures, or if we have a law suit or something. It's cheaper than renting external meeting rooms, and more secure." Cost of that unused space? Β£250,000 per year.

If you can't grasp how URL's like drive.bmw will eventually help lead to a greater awareness and acceptance of the new gtld's, I think it's safe to say that you have very little understanding of psychology.

It won't be very long before the average internet user is well aware that many other options exist, and, consequently, the hesitation to recognize and accept alternative URL's will quickly erode in the coming years.

They will 100% lead to greater awareness. Acceptance though, I'm not so sure. See my point above. I think this is more of a double edged sword than you appreciate. I think it's safe to safe that you have a rudimentary understanding of psychology but perhaps haven't thought this one through to its ultimate conclusion. ;)

I think they will recognise alternate URLs - that resistance will definitely erode. Whether they will trust them and use them is anyone's guess. But MY guess is that .brand TLDs and existing incumbents (.com .co.uk .fr etc) will still hold a trust far above new gTLDs.

what is a better domain? name.uk or name.co.uk?

It seems like a no-brainer. Name.uk is better. Looks better. Is shorter. The .co isn't needed.

Strangely in the real world it turned out that most businesses don't care about the .uk and did not switch to .uk when it became available. They still don't buy .uk domains. At the same time, since the .uk launch .co.uk has become stronger than ever.

See, this is interesting - and pretty much reinforces the point I'm making. No-one here in the UK cares about .uk - and, in fact, most of the time they think that it's a mistake. If people see somedomain.uk they pretty much think that the .co bit has been missed out - so if they are manually typing it they will add it in, and potentially get the wrong website. This is why the .uk names HAD to be offered to existing registrants first. Furthermore (anecdotally) I know that if people google something and see somedomain.co.uk and somedomain.uk they would be more likely to click somedomain.co.uk - because it looks more trustworthy.

There are PLENTY of GREAT new gTLD's.... for those with a little foresight.

I think this is true - but they are generally keyword domains - london.accountant or gymnastics.club

Whether they are "investment class" domains is very different. My opinion is that they are not.

Sex.Live sold $160000
Porn.Live sold $120000 lately

"Citation needed".

Just like .club announcing some extraordinary sounding prices early on, I am very skeptical indeed about this announcement. I think it's more likely that the names were given to the new operator for a "consideration" of $120,000 - or, in other words, no cash changed hands. But the value of the PR that they gain from this is great. And, as people have said for years, the internet is shaped by the porn industry.

•••
I don't think one or a few gTLDs will suddenly take off, people will accept all new TLDs once it's common knowledge they're something other than .com. And value is entirely unknown and not predictable, as some make more sense, some have more commercial potential, and some are generic. It could go any way, and that makes investing an entire risk IMO.

Consider carefully that the most common TLDs have been going for years. .org has been going since 1985, 31 years. Why are they not high value like people say the new TLDs will be? Given its perfect potential usage, why isn't .info selling like hot cakes for high value?

Why is .xyz, or .shop or whatever more valuable than .org or .biz or something else already established? Are we to see a price increase in .org and .biz before .xyz and .online? If not, why not?
Who is going to buy all these new TLDs?

Even if all this has some explanation, new TLDs don't necessarily bring more value, the sheer amount of them just brings more end user choice for cheap as you have nothing unique to sell anymore.

There being so many new TLDs could easily reduce the potential value of them all, as they're not tightly unique, like with "KeywordSomething.com" is tightly limited to that keyword combo and sought after in .com only. If all new TLDs become in use you can suddenly have "Shoe.shop" "shoe.store" "shoes.online" "shoes.sales".... What makes any of those valuable when there are so many choices? Are the big companies with large budgets going to suddenly swallow them all up?

.com has a very strong and stable brand-ability tied to it, globally and with high value, and it will likely take a long time before that could be diluted.

I don't profess to know what is going to happen, as It's a minefield of unknowns, variables, complex markets, business buying and branding techniques, and what the world (public and business) runs with as a mass. It'll be very interesting to see what happens though :)

•••
Interesting how they quote Frank Schilling there heh.. And he is one of the big proponents of these new extensions, right?

Yep. He is selling picks and shovels though.

He is the house in a casino. It is a much different perspective than an individual domain investor investing in new extensions.

Brad

•••
•••
lets be real all the threads like this and blogs posts like this are started because someone invested in new gTLD's and can't stand that they have not caught on, and wish and pray upon a star that other domainers throw money at them so they rise in value, so their investments stop being worthless. There is no other reason to constant moan and pretend other domainers are losing out.

•••
I have read too many similar threads. I understand one thing. You know what? The problem it is not the future. The real problem, which most domainers have, actually is the time of this process. Because time is renewal fees and fees are money.

Last edited:
•••
Those examples you have used are brand TLDs, methods of brand protection and strengthen for those who can afford it.

The introduction of the new gTLDs is extra competition for the .com namespace just like .net, .org and dozens of other older TLDs have been but with limited effect.

Last edited:
•••
The tricky part is not with end users but actually domaining with new g's. The renewal fees bring the expected value of a portfolio down to nothing and probably negative once the costs of holding whilst waiting for the odd sale have been accounted for.

I had an inquiry for a nice .property domain I was holding but the end user wouldn't pay $2000 and the renewal was about $200 so I just let it drop. Sales are too spaced out and cost of waiting too high. Kills it.

•••
So many nTLD haters... sad really.
Exactly, but the biggest haters are not domainers but end users.

•••
Who said gTLD is dead?

Sex.Live sold $160000
Porn.Live sold $120000 lately

Many .mobi sold for 6 figures when there was still hype.
sex.xxx sold for $3 million when there was still hype. Today the extension is more less dead.

It is always the same pattern. The registry launches a new extension, hypes it, sells some premium domains and some suckers bet big on it.

Then everyone agrees because there have been big sales it must be a good investment and buy more. Then after a while, when no more big sales are happening, people get bored and move on.

Then the next big thing appears and the cycle repeats itself again.

Last edited:
•••
Why are these haters spending so much valuable time on new gTLD discussions :?:
Do they feel insecure and threatened ?
Do they need support from other old-fashioned domainers who are scared to diversify their portfolio ?

maxresdefault.jpg

•••
And so the discussion goes on and on lol.

It amazes me this still isn't settled. I'm invested heavily in .com but acknowledge in the coming years the value of average to poor .coms will continue to go down as they have been doing for a while bit by bit.

I firmly believe that the really premium .coms, one word.coms and 2l.coms/ 3l.coms etc. will go up further and become ever harder for small players to acquire leaving them open to only companies with big marketing spends.

I also believe that new GTLD's are also going to be a disaster for domain investing as a whole in the lower to medium range of quality in the new extensions as well, as no one will want to pay up for an alternative extension which is exactly that - an alternative to .com.

The premium GTLD's have large upfront costs and high renewals that make them prohibitive to domainers unless they have huge pockets and have the leisure of waiting for 3-5 years in the hope of some big paydays.

Many registrars have said openly they want to cut out domainers from the new extensions and that is precisely what has happened with the best names held back by the registries and only the chaff left in 99% of cases. To bring the point home I just deleted my last GTLD's in .online with great keywords, but I was not going to pay renewals for them and hope one day i'll get a couple of grand ROI for them at best, simply not worth it.

Bottom line new GTLD's will become more and more adopted by end users over time, it is beyond debate, it is happening already and will continue to become more accepted with .com likely still the main extension of use.

However, i'm sorry to say it, there is no serious money for domainers in the scenario that is playing out and you will not be able to ask big prices for your average to okay .coms with these alternatives either. The premiums already will set you back serious money so you better have huge pockets to play in domains or else it's going to be one big fail short to medium term for all extensions.

Kind of reminds me of SEO, used to be anyone could rank high with a small budget. Now Google has prioritised all the big brands e.g. Amazon, ebay etc. in the search results and pushed out the small players destroying their online presence. Only companies with big budgets can compete now in SEO in all niches worthwhile targeting. A similar thing is happening with domains.

My opinion only.

•••
I have read too many similar threads. I understand one thing. You know what? The problem it is not the future. The real problem, which most domainers have, actually is the time of this process. Because time is renewal fees and fees are money.

I agree renewals are tough, this is a process not an overnight success with new G's. Although unless you want scraps one must bite the bullet while waiting. When I get an inquiry I always factor in my renewal fee's, early access fee's etc. in to the price.

•••
I am still heavily invested and investing in .com but i'm being very selective over my buys now and focusing ever more on quality over quantity. I agree with some of your OP there's change on the way but how much exactly is difficult to say with certainty. Verisign just took out .web the biggest possible challenger to .com to try and ensure .com dominance for a long time to come.

However, if companies more and more go the way of the new GTLD's (and own strings) and care less and less about .com then as far as i'm concerned domaining as a whole is in big trouble. Even the most bullish of gtld investors are realising by the day just how tough it is and is going to be to remain profitable. With large upfront prices for most good names and often high renewals as well it's an uphill battle.

Bottom line is I think .com could still be overall the extension of primary choice for some time to come. However, I rule nothing out and of course things can change dramatically going forward. I think if it does then even people pro gtld's and invested heavily in them will struggle to stay afloat and make ROI. So some people should be careful what they wish for IMO.

My opinion only.

•••
There are parallels between .MOBI and new extensions when it comes to investing, believers, big companies behind it, etc.

Domain investors wasted a lot of money. I know looking back now it seems ridiculous that .MOBI was going to revolutionize the domain space, but at the time many people were convinced.

Here is a post from an article which could be applied to investing in new extensions today...

http://www.domainbits.com/mobi

Hey Admin, I’m a veteran who has been domaining since October 1999. Bought only dotcoms until .mobi LandRush in 9/2006.

Why do you arrogantly assume only rookies are buying dotMobi property?

I suggest you get off your ivory tower and try to persuade the below Fortune 500 executives in giving up their well-crafted dotMobi marketing campaigns….

Why are these big Brands buying and marketing their MobileWeb sites using dotMobi? Why are more companies increasingly launching and advertising their MobileWeb sites using the dotMobi extension?

BANKING:
BofA.mobi (Bank of America)
Deutsche-Bank.mobi
Wachovia.mobi
Barclays.mobi

INSURANCE:
Ing.mobi
StateFarm.mobi
AXA.mobi
Allstate.mobi

HOTELS:
Marriott.mobi
Hilton.mobi

CAR MANUFACTURERS:
Ferrari.mobi
BMW.mobi
Rolls-Royce.mobi
FordCA.mobi (Ford Canada)

TRANSPORTATION:
Amtrak.mobi
AAA.mobi (American Automobile Association)

SPORTS:
ESPN.mobi
NBA.mobi
WNBA.mobi

MAGAZINES:
Time.mobi (Time Magazine)
BusinessWeek.mobi
CNNMoney.mobi

ALCOHOL:
Smirnoff.mobi

INTERNET:
MSN.mobi
GoDaddy.mobi / TDNAM.mobi
Netsol.mobi (Network Solutions)

TECHNOLOGY:
Cisco.mobi

NEWS:
FoxNews.mobi
AlJazeera.mobi
ABCNews.mobi
TBS.mobi

NEWSPAPERS:
TheSun.mobi

GUIDES:
Zagat.mobi

MOBILE OPERATORS:
T-Mobile.mobi
Three.mobi
Vodafone.mobi
TIM.mobi
Orange.mobi

MOBILE MANUFACTURERS:
Nokia.mobi
SonyEricsson.mobi

TELECOMMUNICATIONS:
Ericsson.mobi
3Skype.mobi
3Next.mobi

WEATHER:
Weather.mobi (The Weather Channel)

DISNEY:
HSM2.mobi (High School Musical) via commercials

CITIES:
Helsinki.mobi

AIRLINES:
SAS.mobi
Spanair.mobi

CLOTHING:
Polo.mobi
Quikstore.mobi (Quiksilver)
BenettonPress.mobi (United Colors of Benetton)

AIRPORTS:
Schiphol.mobi (Amsterdam)

Last edited:
•••
those who can see it coming now will have much greater opportunity than those who realize what's happening a year or two down the road.

Another post ending in sheer and utter desperation that other domainers will come join and waste money on something worthless.

If people really believed in these things, they would not have to constantly do a fear-mongering sales pitch. "oh buy now or you will lose out"

The reality of the sales pitch is "oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE join me in wasting money on these names that nobody wants, if enough of us buy them, they will gain value, and my names will stop being so worthless"

•••
Every notable change in technology has its skeptics.

There were (and still are) skeptics about automobiles.... planes...... microwaves...... smart phones.... computers..... heck, even the Internet itself.

So, of course there are skeptics about the new gTLD's. Some people just don't like change!

It just so happens that a large number of these skeptics have spent the last 10-20 years banking on .com....

I've been buying .com's for over a decade, and I am continuing to do so!
But will I blindly ignore the new gTLD's or avoid them like some sort of scam? Heck no!

There are PLENTY of GREAT new gTLD's.... for those with a little foresight.

•••
my problem is that i didn't break-even on .net .biz .me .mobi (yeah, i know) or that i know people who went all in on .co because of few sales and then nothing (i think because .io happened) and they had to drop huge in inventories ... so ... i have nothing against new gTLD, but they are risky ... of course you can hit the jackpot but you can also bet on Haru Urara :)
I think it's safe to say that putting all your eggs in one basket is usually not a wise move (unless you get it all right lol). It's typically a good idea to diversify. For me, that means investing in great .com's AND great new gTLD's, always keeping in mind factors such as quality, annual renewals, etc.

•••
I have a couple of gTLDs yes. No secret there. But around 98% of my portfolio is .com.
I'm confused why a new g investor would ever post negative comments whether it's a registry sale or not. You're either on board or not but JMO...
I don't have that many gtlds. I currently have around 12-15 gTLDs I think (I need to check as I dropped some) and around 700 .coms.
Anyways I'm just posting realistic comments.
Reminds me of this outspoken Vegetarian that hijacks forums with how BAD eating meat is.
One day She's at a Foodie event and gets caught by a photographer eating meat.
Her response: "I only had a couple of bites and it was Premium Organic Chicken"

•••
Precisely - if new TLDs are such great investments, then why have .BIZ, .Info, .CO, .TV, .ME, .Mobi and even .Net turned out to be such crappy performers for domainers. Most any domainer who has been around for a few years is generally dropping domains in these extensions because they are so hard to sell. I think I still have maybe two or three .info domains down from dozens at one point. I once had dozens of .biz and now hold zero. I once held six hundred .Net and now hold fewer than one hundred. Even the best of my .Net domains are only selling for low $XXX if that. .TV sounds like a great TLD but at close to $30 / year in renewals, any sale is consumed by renewal costs. New TLDs are for registries and newbies who have no idea they are being taken advantage of - like writing a $XXXX check to the registry for a digital lottery ticket. Domaining with a thousand TLD options and very little value placed on branding by end users is very close to gambling - odds of wining are slim.

•••
Indeed new gTLDs are getting popular among the companies and have very strong future. Many new startups are launching using gTLDs. Those, who still think gTLDs are useless, are either ignorant or own very large portfolio of random brandable .coms (which are useless now IMHO).

I find it amusing how many new GTLD proponents have recent sign up dates, yet act as if they are some expert on the domain market. Also, some people are constantly attacking .COM and .COM owners as if they are the problem.

Sorry, but sales talk and bullshit walks. The vast majority of all sales both in total dollars and volume is .COM. That is the reality.

Will that change in the future? Maybe.

Or, it could just be wishful thinking by domainers who think they struck gold, when in reality they are the ones being sold picks and shovels while the registries make the real money.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
most of "old" domainers invest in new gTLDs as well. just saying

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back