IT.COM

discuss $9000 Domain Now In GD Closeout

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dennisok

Established Member
Impact
I once saw a domain in a godaddy closeout which GD claimed was sold at $9000. But my concern is, if this name has once been sold at that price why now at GD closeout section?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I posted on LinkedIn a few days ago about the following domain in Closeout. Past sale does not necessarily mean it is valuable.

"Domain picking is always challenging. For example, AdviceServer.com was once sold in 2007 for $3700 and then dropped into the garbage dump yesterday. I tried dotDB and Google search but found no existing end users of similar names. This part is science. A domain may not have existing potential users but does not mean it will not have. That part is art. Can you foresee AdviceServer.com being used in the future? Possibly, for consulting services for example. Eventually, I left it alone. I may have missed out a good deal."

•••
If it is a generic/keyword name that could work out for multiple users - it could have ended up in 4-5 figures range in the auctions. The domain in context seems to be of very low interest. Perhaps it worked out once - the previous buyer had enough resources to pocket that name as it matched his/her liking.

•••
@Kassey Lee, How do you make use of DotDB tool, do you typein the domain as full address format e.g adviceserver.com or you search by individual keywords?

•••
@Kassey Lee, How do you make use of DotDB tool, do you typein the domain as full address format e.g adviceserver.com or you search by individual keywords?
My program simply grabs the keyword of a domain, opens the browser, displays the dotDB page, and then sends the keyword to it. It's all automatic.

•••
My program simply grabs the keyword of a domain, opens the browser, displays the dotDB page, and then sends the keyword to it. It's all automatic.
Don't mean to go off topic but what do you think of a domain that was sold twice at different price ranges ?
would that indicate something ? or all previous sales are some what irrelevant

•••
Don't mean to go off topic but what do you think of a domain that was sold twice at different price ranges ?
would that indicate something ? or all previous sales are some what irrelevant
My acquisition decision is based on end user research or my gut feeling. Previous sales are not important.

•••
My acquisition decision is based on end user research or my gut feeling. Previous sales are not important.

How are you going through domains with large DotDB results.

Some searches return 300+ results. Just going to the ones with the most TLDs seems ineffective.

•••
How are you going through domains with large DotDB results.

Some searches return 300+ results. Just going to the ones with the most TLDs seems ineffective.
I use dotDB via API to rank domains by number of matches so that I can scan starting from those with the largest numbers, during my initial screening.

•••
I use dotDB via API to rank domains by number of matches so that I can scan starting from those with the largest numbers, during my initial screening.

I mostly use it for lead generation, but going through a list of 300+ domains is a lot to do manually when 90% of them are just dead sites with parked pages.

There is a great program that will grab a screenshot of the website so that you can see if it's live, poorly designed, or dead by just looking at images. I've had mild success with that.

I can also filter them down by adding external metrics, but to do so is expensive or time intensive (even with automation).

For number of matches like you are doing I DL the zone file and run Python searches on the domains. This way i'm not hammering away at web services and it's half the cost.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back